Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Serious? Fun? or Serious Fun?

What category do you fall in?

as a casual golf enthusiast, I play for Fun!

when i do get to play, it's mainly a stress reliever from my job (LEO field).

while I tend to play solo, or maybe with 1 or 2 others now, I am enjoying myself the entire time. sure I get frustrated with the sloppy shots, but no matter what I score, its still enjoyable for me.

a few friends who are also beginners, go way too serious and tend to take it to the extreme though. They act as if it's a tour championship, and just stay frustrated the entire round, everytime!!!. I've had to shy away from playing with them because of this, as it just doesn't seen enjoyable after the 3rd hole.

I enjoy playing in charity events though the most when i can.  the team I generally play with takes it serious, but have fun during the events and there's absolutely no pressure. we're there for the host cause.

(I should say, I do respect the game and take course etiquette seriously though )

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I'd say serious fun.

I'm serious about my play but I like to have fun.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Depends on the day and situation.  Generally it is for fun but I play in a league so it is also serious fun.  One day I’d like to get more serious.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

This is a tough one for me these days... it's all about fun but I would say I fall into serious fun. I used to have a single digit handicap and am no longer there after a handful of years away from the game other than the occasional round.  Knowing that I had played at that level makes the game frustrating at times when I don't play well these days. It has become a personal challenge to get back to that game.  I still go out there and enjoy the round with friends and being outdoors but I would say I have a different focus as well. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

are both okay? the amount of time it takes from addressing your ball to finishing your shot can't be more than about 30-45 seconds. I'll be serious during that time and have fun the rest of the time.

I constantly am amazed at the number of people who get ***MAD*** at themself/everything on the golf course and their temper goes up and up and up. what other activity would you PAY nearly 100 dollars to be mad and angry for 4 hours? haha

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

If you don’t enjoy the game then don’t play. Life is too short for things you don’t enjoy.

I play for fun and a bit of serious. But I’m also aware that I’m an amateur, so I don’t expect to par or birdie every hole, sink every three footer, and never miss a fairway. We’ve all seen the data that shows how well PGA players and amateurs actually perform so I manage my expectations. I think for newbies they’re so focused on what we see on TV that they haven’t had time to realize golf is actually hard. This year I’ve focused a lot more on course management and mental state and it’s helped my game tremendously.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

2 hours ago, MattF said:

I'd say serious fun.

I'm serious about my play but I like to have fun.

I suppose that I will eventually fall into this category.   im still learning about how I play, swing,  etc.  I see myself taking it more seriously though the further I dive into this sport.  I'm not out there playing goofy or being ridiculous or anything,  just moving forward and developing my skills a little at a time, with what little time I have to devote to it.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Mostly fun but if I’m really struggling to just make basic contact, I’ll get frustrated.

For example, if I’m at least hitting shots with decent contact but missing greens or coming up short or in the rough, woods, hazards, etc., I’ll be having a good time.  If I’m hitting ground balls, shanks, pop-ups, I will not be having a good time.

I’m fine with my score being bad.

Edited by Brooky03

Am I allowed to day it depends on the day? In the end I just enjoy golfing and being out with good people and hopefully decent weather. So most of the time fun, but I do take it seriously.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I do not get to play as much as I would like.  It sucks to get frustrated when I do get to play.  The last few years I have tried to have fun playing and accepting whatever results from it.  I played earlier in the year at Trump National in LA with some buddies.  Played horribly.  They wanted me to play the back tees, which was a tall order considering how little I play.  Didn't score well at all.  Most approach shots were 200+ yards.  Accepted it early and tried to have as much fun as possible.  At least I got to see the whole course!  And beautiful views.  And shot the worst score I have shot in years.  It's all about outlook/expectations.  If you don't play much, then don't set the expectations too high.  Just accept it.  Golf is hard.  For everyone.  TV makes it look easy, but they do that all day, every day.  It should look easier for them.

Matt Dura

Francis Marion University Hall of Fame 2018

default_titelist-small.jpg.035c687f1ee4f222f65826e0f2ccf716.jpg TS4 9.5*, HZRDUS Smoke 60g Low spin driver; PRO V1X

default_taylormade-small.jpg.e5271abefda63fc90c515812858df654.jpg M3 17*HL turned down to 15*, Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Series 65 Stiff

Ben Hogan 17* & 21* EDGE CFT Hybrids

default_ping-small.jpg.4f6644e7b181538ad4356fa5baa9ab06.jpg i200 blue dot, KBS Tour 120 S 4i-PW; Glide 58*/10

default_cleveland-small.jpg.c369c88345deb6bf5d6da562e36c46e9.jpg 50* RTX 588; 54* CG10

LeanLockLogo.jpg.79bf29d6bf78b2208e2a58de63e92193.jpg.c85827f16c4e90eabef5b35daa9e8b47.jpg APA Model 1

ODIN.jpg.36f5f3d3738de8051e6e80e0aec7b2d2.jpg X1

I play golf to have fun, what makes it fun are the people you play with. Of course we all want to do good but this game is hard. If I could be as good at this game as I was at bowling I would be really happy. The last year I bowled I averaged 220 with 2 300 games, not even close to that in golf. I'm not good enough to get mad so I play to have fun.

Frank musolino 

35 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Am I allowed to day it depends on the day? In the end I just enjoy golfing and being out with good people and hopefully decent weather. So most of the time fun, but I do take it seriously.

DEF depends on the day, last Friday scramble we had a shot [ I putted out of my head lol ]we took it serious but if we were not in running we would have been goof balls enjoying the day as long as we were not holding up play, tommorow going out just me and wife she doesnt play just drives cart and we enjoy the afternoon on a quieter course. I used to be the guy that was mad and miserable if I didnt play like I thought I should WHY, I am never going pro at best I might win a prize once in a blue moon at a scramble for closest to the pin or something so I refuse to pay money anymore to be mad and unhappy.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

... I have never really liked "Fun" as a description for any competitive sport. I prefer "Enjoyable" and my golf is a mix of enjoyable and deadly serious. I am laser focused for the few seconds it takes to evaluate my shot and then execute it. As soon as the ball is gone I am out of the dead serious zone. I don't think I have ever yelled at my ball in the air to SIT! or GO! simply because I know it is out of my hands at that point. Probably a result of playing QB through college and keeping a level emotional attitude because you can't force things and you have to accept the good with the bad.

... That said I really enjoy being out communing with nature, talking and walking with friends and of course enjoying good shots while accepting bad shots. Fun? Maybe semantics but not so much. Enjoyable? Every single time I play.   

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

6 hours ago, Rob Person said:

when i do get to play, it's mainly a stress reliever from my job (LEO field).

Well done! I retired at the end of 2018 with 30 years on the street.  It took me a while to realize, the job extracts a toll from everyone.  I hope yours has not been too great. Far too many of our brothers in blue succumb to the stress, and fail to find enjoyment in anything. Protecting ourselves is just as important as protecting others!!!!  I now let NOTHING detract from enjoying every second of every day!!!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

37 minutes ago, Stuka44 said:

Well done! I retired at the end of 2018 with 30 years on the street.  It took me a while to realize, the job extracts a toll from everyone.  I hope yours has not been too great. Far too many of our brothers in blue succumb to the stress, and fail to find enjoyment in anything. Protecting ourselves is just as important as protecting others!!!!  I now let NOTHING detract from enjoying every second of every day!!!

thanks for your career dedication. got roughly 11 years left until I have to pinch pennies to play..lol

alot of us started attending LEAPS seminars the last couple years. it really does help.

45 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have never really liked "Fun" as a description for any competitive sport. I prefer "Enjoyable" and my golf is a mix of enjoyable and deadly serious. I am laser focused for the few seconds it takes to evaluate my shot and then execute it. As soon as the ball is gone I am out of the dead serious zone. I don't think I have ever yelled at my ball in the air to SIT! or GO! simply because I know it is out of my hands at that point. Probably a result of playing QB through college and keeping a level emotional attitude because you can't force things and you have to accept the good with the bad.

... That said I really enjoy being out communing with nature, talking and walking with friends and of course enjoying good shots while accepting bad shots. Fun? Maybe semantics but not so much. Enjoyable? Every single time I play.   

I understand your perspectice, and I do find it enjoyable, even on bad days. but even then, I have fun doing it

Golf is a continuing “ fluid “ ( so many balls in the water ) situation. 
  I started playing golf as an opportunity to try many a different venue to drink alcohol at, as well as a activity to partake in as I refined my trash talking talent. Scoring and playing ability had a minimal importance in my golf game
    Fast forward many decades and between the totalitarianism of the monarch of the family and her phalanx of so-called medical experts; alcohol usage is fast becoming a fading memory. The vast majority of Ancient Agers that I play golf with are hard of hearing, so my trash talking falls on mostly deaf ears. 
   This has forced me to learn to game a somewhat respectfully looking golf game. I have broken 80 more times since I turned 70 ( now almost 72 years old ) years of age than I ever did the 54 years before getting to the 70 year old mark. 
   Golf is what we each make of it. May we all find a way to find some fun in our golf

I have more fun when I take my game seriously as I play. I actually struggle to enjoy scrambles unless I'm in a real competitive group. Maybe one day I'll learn to just have fun and be less serious but that day is likely many years away.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I would say that I fall under fun, but similar to @cnosil , I take my strategy and shots seriously, and outside of that, it’s pure enjoyment!

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

I get the original question and trying to make a distinction between, let's call it, a casual round with friends (and maybe some adult beverages) vs a round where you're working to make a score (like for your handicap).

But I'm in the hybrid camp - I'm serious when I'm hitting the ball but I loosen up and enjoy everything else during all the times in-between shots. 

There were several seasons where I was one of those guys that got down on himself when there was a not so great shot .. and it took me a long while to fully realize that not only was I being UN-fun to play with .. and also just how hard this game really is! .. but I wasn't really making progress in my game line I wanted (self fulfilling negative feedback loop 🤦‍♂️) and bottom line I wasn't really enjoying being out there like I thought I should.

So I 100% agree with everything this smart guy said...

6 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

But I’m also aware that I’m an amateur, so I don’t expect to par or birdie every hole, sink every three footer, and never miss a fairway. We’ve all seen the data that shows how well PGA players and amateurs actually perform so I manage my expectations. I think for newbies they’re so focused on what we see on TV that they haven’t had time to realize golf is actually hard. This year I’ve focused a lot more on course management and mental state and it’s helped my game tremendously.

... Especially including:

"This year I’ve focused a lot more on course management and mental state and it’s helped my game tremendously."

👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

For sure I'm more in the serious fun side. I do enjoy the game immensely, and if I'm not in league play, I still take my rounds seriously as I try to do the best I can. As we all run into it, some rounds are just ugly so before I find myself in that depression I stop with score and for the rest of the time just try some oddball shot combinations just to see how they come out. Never anything weird on greens. They are too precious an area.  Instead of a SW out of a bunker I'll try my 8 or in a divot in the fairway I'll try to hit it thin on purpose to see how it reacts. As Rob stated there are times when it is a pure stress relief, I'll usually head to the range for that session. Many times I have put an imaginary face on the ball and let it sail>

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet