Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Does Golf Remain Fun?

On 1/24/2024 at 7:59 AM, Josh Parker said:

So, my question to the Spies is this: As you get better at the game of golf, does it become less fun and more about a personal contest within yourself or does the game continue to remain just as fun as when you started?

Good, bad or indifferent, this game will always be fun for me! I have excitement laying out what I'm going to wear for my early morning round. I go to sleep often thinking about how to play certain shots. When I can't sleep, I replay my best rounds of golf (like counting sheep). I wake up with a certain routine that allows me ample time at the course to stretch (the range will NOT be open for the early birds). I go to the first tee as prepared as I can be and then . . . let the chips fall as they may. 

I often stop to smell the roses, to thank my lucky stars for being in this place at this time and being fit and healthy enough at 65 to play as much and as well as I do.

Golf was fun for me when I started at 12 and I have never lost sight of that 12 year old. 

I try not to have many expectations, though I have started to play more, my health remains good and I am playing better than I have in most of my golf life. It is hard for me not to think I can achieve all the golf goals I set for myself, but I need to make sure I don't get too serious. This game can be a real humbler and I have been humbled by it many, many times. 

I do believe that I will shoot my age this year! I turn 66 in May and I am working on my fitness level and practicing more than ever. If that happens, you will never be able to wipe the smile off my face! Fun, you bet!

Cheers,

Mike

Played this wonderful game for 54 years now. Still love it!

Callaway Guy

Rogue driver Reg shaft 10.5 degree

Big Bertha 3 Metal

Callaway X-Hot Pro Hybrids 16 and 20 degree

Apex Pro Irons Graphite Shafts 4-A 

Callaway Mac Daddy 56 and 58 degree wedges 

Kayson Mallet 34" putter

"Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first 2"

Man lots of good answers here and I resonate alot with many especially @chisag with the I cannot get back to the course fast enough whether I played well or not to either emulate that round or to fix that round!

One thing I would add is my fun has stayed the same but changed. Before it was more of a social get out with friends and family. While that is still a lot of the fun I am just as happy and having as much fun when I get out by myself. I have so much fun trying to play my best and while I do get frustrated with myself when playing and do not make shots I know I can make I get a little Justin Thomas like in my language to myself BUT its all wiped away with that 1 good shot a round.

I absolutely love competing against myself, just as much competing against others and that is one thing I have learned over the years. I was always involved in team sports before golf so competing against myself was something I had to learn and it makes the game enjoyable not matter what.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I would say if anything, the game has gotten more fun as I have continued playing. When I started out in college and having never picked up golf club in my life, it would be more frustrating than anything as I hated being bad at something lol. However, I couldn't wait to get back out on the range or course no matter how a round went. 

After finding the forum, learning to understand how to play the game as far as getting around the course, knowing I don't always need to pull driver on a par 4, etc., it just keeps getting better and better. Much like @Lacassem said, I've still got plenty of rounds that don't go as well as they should and shots I don't execute that I certainly can, but it doesn't impact my joy of playing.

There's not a whole lot better than being outside on a beautiful summer evening chasing the sun on the final three holes. Add in the fact that both of my boys, while still quite young, enjoy coming out with me, as well as my wife, and you just cannot beat it. I am to the point where I don't even need to be playing a full round, heck, even taking a swing, and being on the course carting my guys around and handing them their clubs is pure joy.

I absolutely love the game of golf. But I love it more for the fact that it gives me something I'll be able to actively participate in with my family for the rest of my life.

....oh, and it also allows me to be a member of something as great as this forum 😉

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I'll add golf would be a lot more fun if I was able to play with a bunch of you guys more often!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 1/24/2024 at 9:59 AM, Josh Parker said:

So, my question to the Spies is this: As you get better at the game of golf, does it become less fun and more about a personal contest within yourself or does the game continue to remain just as fun as when you started?

Golf definitely has continued to be fun. I enjoy playing and the various groups I play with throughout the week. However, what deems success or my expectations have changed. When I first retired, I was happy to just be out playing. Now I have expectations of shooting under par every time I tee it up. So, while the game is still fun, the expectations are truly different.

Play like a champion today!

I love this question. I would say yes. I've always maintained that one of the reasons golf is so fun to me is that it is challenging in a different way every single time. I tend to play the same course just about every week but no round is ever even close to the same. Almost every hole presents a new challenge or new way to attack. I really do love golf. I would say 90% of the time, I have more fun than ever. There are rounds that just get under your skin though. I think why some people don't have fun is they set this expectation for themselves. If you're competing, I completely get that but if you go in thinking oh I need/want to shoot this score, you're let down. I always, always go in with the mindset that I want my ball striking to be on point. And if it's not that day, I try to make it fun by diagnosing the issue or trying some fun shots with my most reliable clubs. I think more people would enjoy golf if they think of it scientifically. If I hit a bad shot, why did I hit it, recreate it and understand and when you hit your next good shot, celebrate that but also diagnose and understand. 

I grew up playing golf but also I was a skateboarder and I think they are similar in their challenges. How do I learn something new and how do I address this challenge. I hope everyone finds love in golf but also finds the peace in golf. Being on the course is and will always be one of my favorite things whether I am hitting the ball well or not.

Damien--Titleist & TaylorMade enthusiast. Bag is feeling betrayed with no TaylorMade items in it currently. Former College golfer.

image.png.d46e5ea58c55d6c5b02a89db1e501fe0.pngCallaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5 

image.png  Titleist 816 H1 Hybrid 19*

image.png.1bd1e1ee5179defcf5675fc4508a582b.png  Byrdie Golf Designs OG Collection Irons 4-PW 

image.png CG14 60 degree

image.png.968287d9caeb64893046ab6bd3357bf0.pngT22 Copper C Grind 56.06 Degree

Pinemeadow EGI Chipper

image.png Cleveland Cleveland Golf HB Soft Premier #10.5C OS 35"

image.png.13bdddbdaccc707e6f342d9f8e7bfe4e.png OnCore Vero X2 & X1 balls

Red Rooster Testing Review:

Titleist White Box Testing Review:

34 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Man lots of good answers here and I resonate alot with many especially @chisag with the I cannot get back to the course fast enough whether I played well or not to either emulate that round or to fix that round!

One thing I would add is my fun has stayed the same but changed. Before it was more of a social get out with friends and family. While that is still a lot of the fun I am just as happy and having as much fun when I get out by myself. I have so much fun trying to play my best and while I do get frustrated with myself when playing and do not make shots I know I can make I get a little Justin Thomas like in my language to myself BUT its all wiped away with that 1 good shot a round.

I absolutely love competing against myself, just as much competing against others and that is one thing I have learned over the years. I was always involved in team sports before golf so competing against myself was something I had to learn and it makes the game enjoyable not matter what.

I love it. Golf is the ultimate one thing can change how you feel. I played last week and it was probably one of my worst rounds but on hole 17 I sunk a 35 foot putt for birdie and it completely changed how I felt about it. No matter how much I play, I can't wait for the next rounds.

Damien--Titleist & TaylorMade enthusiast. Bag is feeling betrayed with no TaylorMade items in it currently. Former College golfer.

image.png.d46e5ea58c55d6c5b02a89db1e501fe0.pngCallaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5 

image.png  Titleist 816 H1 Hybrid 19*

image.png.1bd1e1ee5179defcf5675fc4508a582b.png  Byrdie Golf Designs OG Collection Irons 4-PW 

image.png CG14 60 degree

image.png.968287d9caeb64893046ab6bd3357bf0.pngT22 Copper C Grind 56.06 Degree

Pinemeadow EGI Chipper

image.png Cleveland Cleveland Golf HB Soft Premier #10.5C OS 35"

image.png.13bdddbdaccc707e6f342d9f8e7bfe4e.png OnCore Vero X2 & X1 balls

Red Rooster Testing Review:

Titleist White Box Testing Review:

On 1/24/2024 at 10:59 AM, Josh Parker said:

Good Question Josh! 
Honest answer for me, the game became less fun when I broke the scratch handicap barrier. Yes, it was fun/challenging to get to a +2. Then maintaining that level became a grind, I have competitive personality and expected a lot, the perfect shot, the perfect round.  Have that bad round, what did I do wrong? we are always trying to get better.  

In late 2015 suffered a minor shoulder injury, and fell while carrying my golf bag during a morning round. Followed that with two foot injuries - Achilles tendonitis & plantar fasciitis. The plantar injury was painful & hit me during a Senior Qualifier, it was disappointing. 

This may sound ridiculous, but the Plantar Fasciitis  was the best injury, because it made me appreciate the game after not being able to play for three months. It slowed me down & made me appreciate the game which I've always enjoyed, but was taking for granted & forgot to have fun. 

Now, I have fun.  I play golf with some great older gents at the club I belong.  They have fun playing. They've taught me a lot!  This MGS site has also been great & put another pep in my step.   I really enjoy the people, discussions & comments. 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

For me, golf has become more fun because it is, a majority of the time, a walk in a beautiful Lanscape playing an individual game. I have always liked competing and if there is not a friendly match being played it is against myself. It is fun for me to work through the mental focus that needs to happen (only successful 1/2 the time) to play well. The feeling when I am on is awesome!!!!! Now that I play at least once a week during the N.E. season, adjustments and focus come easier!!!! It is also cool to meet many friendly people when not playing with family of friends, but if I am a solo I like to play 2 balls or a second shot on a miss hit to make some corrections when appropriate. 

4-PW and UW Ping G710

Ping Glide 54 degree wedge

1,3,5 Taylor-Made Titanium bubble shafts (24years)

Top-Flite Gamer Putter

So many great answers and responses!  Some of y'all really nailed how I feel or think about the game of golf.

I love golf and don't ever think that will change.  

I think personally as I chase the getting to scratch game, I have had that competitive bug within, and at times have been too hard on myself.  And as many have said, you have an amazing shot, and it brings everything back into perspective.  It's good to slow down and smell the flowers as someone mentioned.

Thanks for all the comments!  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

This is a great topic, the first time I got good at the game in my twenties, the better I got the less I enjoyed it.   Lining up putts and looking for grain was draining as was thinking about wind, cut v draw, etc . Would be upset missing shots.  Now many years later, enjoy the game more, it is a sport that is infinitely challenging.  There are  some days where you are grinding ( and that can be a fun mental challenge ) and others where it all comes together (still mentally challenging).  Walking a course and swinging a driver 110-115 mph is beneficial physical exercise.                         

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

While I doubt that it will ever happen, when the game ceases being fun, is the day, I will quit playing. Having played team sports prior to being introduced to golf I became hooked on the personal competition with oneself as well as the course. I have never lost that feeling.  Even what I consider bad or worse days on the course still provide for moments of delight and accomplishment in executing the perfect shot occasionally. Some of the best times I have had on the course are those when I am scrambling/struggling the hardest to save bogeys or worse as it brings out the creativity and focus that should always be present. While it can definitely be frustrating, as you know you are capable of better, it is extremely satisfying when you pull it off.

I believe all of us are competitive at some level and golf allows us to exercise our level of drive in a welcome environment.

The social aspect also provides for great times with friends and colleagues. Some of my closest friends were first met when randomly paired for a round of golf.

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

45 minutes ago, higherplane said:

Walking a course and swinging a driver 110-115 mph is beneficial physical exercise. 

... Couldn't agree more for the .5% this applies to.  😇

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

The second it stops being fun, I will likely stop.

Even when I'm playing poorly, the "fun" for me is to see if I can turn it around and at least close pretty well. Unfortunately, there are just those days that nothing I do will turn it around. It's still fun, though.

Last summer was sort of an exception - I went through a nice hot streak mid-summer with 2 rounds in the 70's (had never broke 80). I was starting to think I had it figured out and my handicap dropped to around 8. Even though I know better, I allowed my expectations to become unrealistic, so when the inevitable bad rounds came, I was not mentally prepared for them and my attitude showed it. Won't happen again.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

For me, the game has continued to be fun over the years, even as I have shifted my focus from playing for the sake of playing to actively trying to lower scores. I definitely have days that I leave the course and I am not thrilled about my performance. However, I'm never not having fun on the golf course. I'm hard on myself especially as I've tried to improve as a player, but I don't let it get to the point of ruining my love of the game.

I think since I started actively keeping scores and tracking handicap over the past few years, I've taken the game more seriously and sometimes that can be less fun that just playing with friends. One of my goals this year is to play more 9 hole courses and courses that maybe aren't as "prestigious" or highly rated. That way I can just focus on playing for fun and not caring about my score.

Some ways that golf has remained fun for me is planning golf trips with friends, playing in local events or tournaments, joining an indoor simulator during the winter offseason and also getting involved with the MGS Forum!

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425  Max 9.0º, Graphite Design Tour AD VR-6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º, Ventus Red 7S, image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR1 5 wood 18º, Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW Blue 65S

Driving Iron: image.png G425 Crossover 2-iron 18º, Aldila Rogue 95TS Graphite 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

At age 64, I am still like a little kid in that I get excited about playing golf.  The night before playing, I will lay in bed thinking about my upcoming round.  I call it being passionate about golf....my wife calls it a sickness.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

9 minutes ago, David Leighton Reid said:

At age 64, I am still like a little kid in that I get excited about playing golf.  The night before playing, I will lay in bed thinking about my upcoming round.  I call it being passionate about golf....my wife calls it a sickness.  

Me too! Not a sickness, a ritual for me!

Mike

Played this wonderful game for 54 years now. Still love it!

Callaway Guy

Rogue driver Reg shaft 10.5 degree

Big Bertha 3 Metal

Callaway X-Hot Pro Hybrids 16 and 20 degree

Apex Pro Irons Graphite Shafts 4-A 

Callaway Mac Daddy 56 and 58 degree wedges 

Kayson Mallet 34" putter

"Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first 2"

For those who struggle making golf fun and finding some enjoyment at times, how do you pull yourself out of it to make it fun again?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

For those who struggle making golf fun and finding some enjoyment at times, how do you pull yourself out of it to make it fun again?

If I start to get frustrated with how I'm playing, I tend to switch gears into practice mode.  The scorecard goes away, and I focus on particular shots on the course.  Trouble areas around the course that I can throw a couple balls down and work on shot shapes.  I have found doing this helps me remember to enjoy the game and improve.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Does golf remain fun? I think this is actually a great question that I somehow missed, as since I am 2 months into playing golf seriously in any way, my perspective is different.

Every shot to me at this point is a challenge, a hurdle, a downward slope and a learning experience all in one. I constantly find myself on the course reevaluating my shot afterwards. Here is where I try to learn how to actually play golf besides the simple swing, as it is a game of strategy. This is absolutely the most fun part about the game, the challenge. I have always prided myself on one upping myself, and for that, Golf is perfect. I keep score to see the improvements on the scoreboard sure, but I get more joy out of leveling up small portions of the game each time I go out on the course. The range is the least exciting part, swing training, but I understand the need as it has helped getting out there often. Honestly I gave myself 3 months to see if I was going to have fun playing golf, and besides my first time heading back out there in years, I can say, I am hooked. 

I still curse the game every outing though, can't forget that tradition 😂

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

I've been playing since age 9. The upcoming season will be my 47th playing this game. While it can be frustrating at times, some days you just can't find your game, it's still the best way for me to fully unwind and put all my concentration into the game instead of all the other stressors of life. For me, that's fun. I don't really mind that I struggle more than I used to. 

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen6 TT Riptide CB 60 s

3 Wood: Ping G430 max Alta CB 65 s

Hybrids: Ping G430 19, 22, 26 Alta CB 70 s

Irons: Mizuno JPX923 forged 6-Gap TT DG 105 s

Wedges: Mizuno S23 54, 58 KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Putter: Scotty Cameron SS Golo 6.5

Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

Electronics: Bushnell Tour V6 shift, Golf Buddy aim 11  

As we improve, and hopefully we do, most of us have expectations on how we think we should play from week to week and course to course. It's only natural to be disappointed with a less than stellar round, or a number of less than stellar rounds in a row. It's that expectation that drives many of us to improve and continue to play better, there is nothing wrong with being disappointed with a bad round or a few bad rounds. The issue I see for some is they get so angry over bad shots or rounds that they can affect the group they're playing with, which can drain much of the fun out of a round(s). The older I get the more I've come to realize that the best part about golf is what happens between shots with the group you're playing with that particular day. I'm beginning to learn to be happy just to be able to play each day, it's a privilege that's denied to many because of their daily schedules, physical issues or the fact they are no longer in this world. 

Troy Sheaffer 

Great question!   I really like your summation as well….

I know every day that I get on the course or out to the range that I love playing golf and that hopefully will never go away but I do have days that I am working on enjoying the round more.

That pretty much sums up my perspective.  It has become my go to for daily activity, hence the daily “do something” posts, even if it’s 5 mins rehearsing a particular move.  I have a ball marker that has the number “75” on it - it serves to remind me that while I have a goal to score that number, it is not the main goal.  We tend to be “goal seekers/makers” when all we really need to do is just enjoy the journey.  Harley used to have to mantra “It’s not the destination but the journey to get there”.  

That was why I loved riding so much and why I love this game….each round, each hole in the round, each swing of the club on each hole is a complete and separate journey - to which the next stroke starts another leg.

As ones who attempt what is known as a “hard game to play”, the more we embrace the highs and lows of the journey the more we will keep the joy of what keeps us coming back….

Edited by Willie T

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

it’s been fun for me over the last 70 years. Besides the golf courses being among the most beautiful places on earths and always challenging (i never got people saying it a course is easy), there is always something new to try or improve each time i practice or play. That’s the key i see missing for those who aren’t having fun: they seem to believe they’re playing the freakin’ US Open, where every shot counts. How about just “playing?”

Tony Penna Putter

Akira 58 wedge, orig graphite stiff for irons

PRGR ID Nabla forged tour irons 5-P weak

Adams 5 hybrid UST Proforce Hybrid Stiff

Callaway UW17,19 Hazardous Smoke RDX S

PXG Gen 5 0311 10.5, Hazardous Smoke RDX 

Not only is golf still fun and frustrating to me but now it also provides me with a sense of a new motivation to try and shoot my age. Once retired, you lose a lot of motivation of not only just getting up to go to work but finding something to keep you occupied both in body and mind. As much as I love shooting a good round, having a bad round continues to motivate me into figuring out what I did wrong and not just let it go as a bad day. I continue to do my morning workouts to try and stay fit. Last year I actually came close to shooting my age of 70, granted it was from the senior tees but I knew while playing I had that chance. No matter how bad it gets, just keep on swinging away.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5-7

Irons;    Ping 425 4-LW

Putter:  Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Odyssey Tour#1 White Hot 

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed

Bag:      Titleist

This is a great topic. I recently had the same conversation with my wife. I’ve been playing for 30 years and while I still have fun playing, the expectations I have put on my game each time I play does detract. 
Once I started breaking 80 under tournament conditions from time to time my expectations became unrealistic leading to frustration and not having fun. I used to put a lot more time into my game and now with increased work and family commitments I play once a week at most and rarely practice. So what should my expectations be?  I still remember the peak of my game at a 5.2 and no Matto what I tell myself that is the guy I think is showing up every week. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 Driver

Callaway Rogue ST irons 5-AW

Taylor Made MG3 wedges

Ping G425 3wood

Callaway UW hybrid

Cameron putter

I must be you in an alternate universe bc I’ve had the exact same conversation with my wife, as I suspect any emotionally intelligent husband has too. I shared all the same thoughts and feelings but it hit me when I was playing in one of those national AM tour circuits (the fun flighted ones) that when I played poorly I had basically sunk in around $200, 8 hours of time and basically an entire day of the weekend to feel aggravated, let down, unfulfilled only to come home and talk about it for the rest of the night and feel bad. So basically an entire day, which she obviously didn’t enjoy either. Now I’ve read bob rotella, several books more than once, and I embraced the challenge of the day, but didn’t embrace the chance to have fun. I think once we as golfers get a brief glance of our full potential we expect it or some version of it every time we tee it up. But it wasn’t until talking about it, I realized I needed to make fun the priority not playing good golf. It seems silly as a concept, try to have fun, right? After all we as humans expect fun to happen naturally as a side effect of doing something we enjoy. So that was the mentality I went with from then on: have fun, laugh, play golf. No expectation, no getting mad I couldn’t execute things I never practiced anymore. I’m glad I changed my attitude bc I’m sure she finds me more enjoyable but the other people I played with found me more enjoyable too. Now even playing poorly I can laugh it off and enjoy a good walk in the open air and have fun with my friends and actually play better golf as a result! 

Man, I love this game regardless. Of course, there are plenty frustrating moments but the good and great ones really keep me coming back. Love being outside as well. Also, love the look of a good golf course, I think some of the most beautiful landscaping to be seen. Playing with friends, meeting new people. Believe me I want to get better, but I'll always love this game regardless. Prices keep going up though, I may have to play less or eat less food. HAVE FUN!

Kevin WP