Do you have a golf course nemesis hole?

Golf leaves mental scars.  It's why most pros play their best golf before 35.  Not physical.....It's mental.  Same goes for holes.  As soon as a hole gets in your head......It's over.  For me, it is number 9 at Elmcrest CC.  It lives in my brain.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5º  Attas 12S :callaway-small:

TM Stealth 2 16.5º Ventus Red  :taylormade-small:

TM Stealth Plus 6 wood - 18.8º Ventus Red  :taylormade-small:

Cobra King Tec 22º MCA MMT :cobra-small:

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 5-PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 120 :srixon-small:

Callaway Jaws Raw 50º 56º 60º DG Spinner :callaway-small:

Bettinardi BB-1 34"  :bettinardi-small:

Without a doubt, #6 at Green Spring GC in Washington, UT. I don't think I've escaped with anything better than bogey...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 10.5* with Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5

Fairways: Titleist TSR2+ 13* and TSR3 15* (at 15.75) with Tensei 1K Black 75X

Driving Iron: Taylormade Tour Preferred 2 iron with KBS C-Taper Lite Stiff

Hybrid: Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4 hybrid

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 4-PW with KBS Max Stiff

Wedges: Vokey SM9 50.08F, Taylormade MG4 54.11, Vokey SM9 60.08M

Putter: Mizuno M-Craft OMOI 06 35"

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Bag: Sun Mountain C-130S

My friend is a member at Meridian Valley CC in Kent, WA.  If you ever have a chance to play there, it's by far my favorite of the local private clubs not named Aldarra or Sahalee.  My whole life I've a right-to-left ball flight -- I'm a righty, so it's either a draw or a hook depending on severity.  I give myself about a 1 in 10 chance of executing a fade.  Holes 1-6 are all right-to-left friendly, and then comes dreaded #7.  Fade 100% required.  Decent length par 4 (370-380 with +1 club elevated green with nasty false front and greenside bunker right).  At this point I should just play it as a par 5.  I bet my scoring average would go down.  Because in the rare event that I do find the fairway, the approach is no guarantee anyway!  Round wrecker, that one...

Founder, PutterCup (puttercupgolf.com)

Hole 7 at Whaling City GC is a 550 yard par 5 with a forced layup off the tee, then a 180 yard carry over water before being faced with an elevated green protected by trees on both sides. It's a PITA hole that I've only ever parred once in all the years I've been playing there. It always eats my lunch. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On my home course have two holes, both on back nine. The 11th hole is a Par 5 dogleg left at 540 yards.  The second shot is either a layup as there is a creek with tall plants anywhere from 160 to 210 away depending on tee shot and creek run diagonally, from left to right.   Problem on second shot is that if you carry the creek it is a thin green and thin fairway- no good landing zone- with houses behind and creek alongside green.  I am 1 for 60 on the 3 wood carry, nowadays try to play the drive on the right side of fairway so won't be tempted to try the carry.  The 16th is a Par 3, 190 yards. the trouble is on the right is a pond and on the left are sand traps- tee positions seem to mainly be toward water.  My go to shot is a drawing 5 or 6 iron, this has to go over the pond and come back.  I have tried to teach myself a fade for this one hole with little success, may try again this summer.               

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

So, hole 9 at my home course is a dogleg left. Me being left handed and a natural fader of the ball, you would think this would play into my hand perfectly. For whatever reason, I always hit it straight and too long so it flies ob or a nice big hook that also flies ob.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

2 hours ago, CFreddie said:

I have two (both Par 5s):

1) #2 - requires you to carry a small lake off tee shot and land in a (relatively) small landing area that runs out very quickly into the woods.  The second shot has to carry a creek, which is somewhat blind (the ideal landing area for the first shot is a lower area).  Finally, your approach shot is on a turtleback green, with run-offs in every direction.

IMG_5275.PNG.0d81c146dcab857aa51a02141b790e36.PNG

2) #10 - Narrow dog-leg left tee shot - I usually only hit hybrid / 5I to land on top of a ridge but you have to dodge encroaching trees on both sides.  The rest of the hole is downhill, but since the course is poorly maintained, you usually hitting off dirt / hardpan (for some reason, grass can never grow here).  Just an all-around narrow hole from start to finish.

IMG_5276.PNG.fb4a947bdee20c92c6574fa381d27ad0.PNG

What course is this? I am assuming it is in ATL or right outside?

Samuel Hanvey 

6 minutes ago, Samuel09152 said:

What course is this? I am assuming it is in ATL or right outside?

Whoops I should have included that - Chastain Park (also called North Fulton) in Atlanta!

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

All of them, but if there is one hole that gets me every time, #8 Silverthorne Golf Club. It is a Par 3, depending on tees 154 - 181 yards. For some reason, I always push my tee shot to the right. I think I have hit the green a handful of times and I play it every week.

hole8.jpg

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

I have two, both at my home course. First is #2 (#10 HC) at Hunter's Ridge in Marion, a 508 yard par 5. The ideal tee shot is down the left side of the fairway, but too far left is OB for the first 200 yards, then into a really thick natural area from 200 all the rest of the way to the pond to about 100 out. Anything right will leave your second shot subject to "Dikembe Mutombo", a 100 year old oak tree that swats anything remotely close to it out of the sky and then tauntingly waggles a long crooked fingerbranch in your face. A route that I frequently take is ALL the way right onto the 3rd into the rough short of the fairway, leaving a shot over a small grove of trees that usually runs out back into the fairway or at least with a look at the green. I usually aim for the apron on my third shot, as the green is protected on the front left with a pond, and the back by a branch of Indian Creek with all of the surface sloping back to the pond in a kind of bowl shape. Back left pins are ridiculous. I have parred this hole 3 times in my life, otherwise I am really happy to walk away with a bogey as I am frequently punished by the pond or Ol' Dikembe. 

image.png.85cce2052346825f3ec0cdd593f486a4.png

The second is #13 at Hunter's Ridge (#1 HC). It's a 346 yar par 4, with marsh and creek on both sides. The fair way is 30 yards wide at 200 yards off the tee, and pinches down through a slight left turn to about 19 yards at 275. Both sides of the fairway run off to the water, and the green is elevated with a very steep drop to the marshy area short and right. Anything short of a precise tee shot is a recipe for a big number and anything not on the green requires a flop shot to get back up to the putting surface, both things that I am accustomed to on this hole. It's actually the reason why I purchased my 2 iron over the winter - I haven't put it into play on this hole yet but I am excited to see what I can do with it!

image.png.0b4d1441dc2e67373a173889f250d168.png

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

I have yet to find a course that doesn't contain a hole per side that seems to make me crazy.  Regardless of how well I've been playing that day, I can almost assuredly just pre mark my card with a bogey or a double.  Hole 14 (par 3) at Del Monte Golf course in Monterey (CA).  Usually plays 210-220 into the wind or a right to left hurt.  I think I have hit the green twice.  It is a weird distance for me 4-iron or 3/4 5-wood.  No real trouble to speak of, it just doesn't fit my eye and I have convinced myself it is not for me to score well.  Laguna Seca also in Monterey par 5 15th hole.  Roughly 500 yards and preferred shots require 2 carries over water.  Again the set up just doesn't fit my play choice/style.  To carry the 1st water you'd need to carry 300-320 off the tee.  the 2nd water hazard (a continuation of 1st) covers the front of the green and partial right side of the green.  A steep face up from the hazard rolls to the apron, so anything short of the green will most likely get wet.  I LOVE GOLF.....

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

47 minutes ago, CFreddie said:

Whoops I should have included that - Chastain Park (also called North Fulton) in Atlanta!

Gotcha, I was only asking because I played at CobbleStone before the Tour Champ this past year and we looked at other courses to play, and your screen shots looked like some layouts I looked at but couldnt remember what it was call! I don't know if this was the course I was thingking about though... but know I  want to play it! 

Samuel Hanvey 

I have two.  Unlike most on here my two nemesis holes are two short par 4's.  One is a slightly narrow straightaway 260 yard hole, with a bunker right front.  It doesn't  matter what kind of driving day I am having, or what club I pull out of the bag to "play it safe".  It has trees left and almost without fail I will have not hit a hook all day, and off the tee on this hole, BAM!!!  dead pull into the trees.

2nd is an even shorter, par 4, 240 yards, slight dogleg to the left.  It has a creek fronting the green, and in order to drive it, it is all carry, and the side hill if you come up short, is very dicey on if you will stay on the side of the hill or end up in creek or marsh if a little further to the right.  Now the landing area off the tee is literally 130 yards to the flat, just before it goes down hill.  This leaves you, THEORHETICALLY an easy 100 yard shot into the severely left to right sloped green.

Woods are left, and drop off into a ravine right.  I can't count the number of times I have tried laying up with 9 iron, WHAM  Lazy pull into the woods cat tails left.  Try 1/8 swing 4 iron to literally roll it down the  slope to the landing area, CRACK its a push off to the right, and the ball takes the slope, and rolls off into the ravine never to be played again without taking a stroke.

The first one is just in my head its not really that hard.  The second I wish I had a picture is just a diabolically shaped and sloped hole, that screws with you.

Edited by Stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Two par 3s on my home course, same problems on both, #4 & #13.  They're both at the SW corner of the property and fully exposed to an (almost always) SW-NE wind in the 15-35kph range.  Actually windy days will be in the 30-50kph range; the place seems to generate wind spontaneously.  Both are over/alongside water it's not unusual for the entire foursome to miss the green on these holes, and not unheard of for the entire foursome to wind up in the drink (particularly on 13).

Screenshot_20240410_132607_Maps.jpg

WITB: Callaway Epic Speed 9°, Stealth 3W, Titleist 714MB 3-pw, Vokey 52° & 60°, MG2 56°, Callaway White Hot Mallet

The 7th at my local. It's from down in a deep valley with the tee box surrounded by trees and a very narrow uphill fairway with a huge water section on the left and trees galore. It then continues uphill to a blind dogleg to the right with a huge bunker in front and right of the green, probably 60m of verticality in the hole. Even on the course map it says aim to land your 3rd shot in front of the green. Its a narrow long green but you can't actually see it from anywhere leading up to it, most of the time you can't see the flag either until your ontop of it. It's too short for a par 5 (350m) but not remotely drivable due to the dogleg and how steep it is. Tricky hole. 

Over the hills and fore away

Love all the responses! Some of the holes you mention I have not encountered anything like.

And as a few have said, sometimes every hole can be your nemesis!

I wish I had asked in the beginning,  but I should mention I recently started to play from the white tees, and could never imagine playing from the tees behind me!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 minute ago, Rob Person said:

Love all the responses! Some of the holes you mention I have not encountered anything like.

I wish I had asked in the beginning,  but I should mention I recently started to play from the white tees, and could never imagine playing from the tees behind me!

Funny you mention tee boxes. I’ll alternate between the 1 ups and the whites depending who I’m playing with. One of my nemesis holes actually becomes much easier playing from a further back tee 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Hole 5 on our local course.  Relatively short par 4.  Trees down the entire right side that swallow any slice or push right.  Wetland and bunkers down the left that collect anything left.  Long is through the fairway and possibly in the wetland in front of the green.  Green slopes front to back so anything not high and soft will roll off the back.  Anything short and right is lost in wetland.  Miss left ends up in a bunker, with the wetlands just over the green collecting anything thin.  The 2nd shot on this hole is firmly in my head.  I've donated way too many balls to the wetland short and right of the green.  If I could just skip this hole I would.  

Olde Homestead.jpg

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FW: 3HL Callaway Paradym

FW: 5 Callaway Mavrik

Hybird: Rogue ST 5

Irons: Paradym X 6-AW, UST Dart 75g

Wedges: Vokey TM9, 52F, 58S

Putter: Odessey OG 

Callaway Chromesoft or Titleist Tour Speed

20 hours ago, taylorjonasher said:

image.png.0b4d1441dc2e67373a173889f250d168.png

This hole look just uninspiring and the type that makes people not want to play. There is no strategy, no chance of recovery. Hit it here or else you will be making at least 5. I will still never truly understand the penal school of golf architecture.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

15 hours ago, Rob Person said:

In the league I play in they play shorter tees than I typically would playing on my own.  I know others that have moved up a set and the game is much more enjoyable for them.  Distance really isn’t my problem, side to side is!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

At my previous course (Cyprian Keyes / Boylston, MA), almost every hole is/was a challenge — Narrow fairways, uneven lies & visual tricks. On the Championship course, it was #4 (par5, 500/488/429yd): narrow fairway (extremely, sloped left side mostly unplayable due to rocks, trees, vegetation / lateral hazard, total right side); narrow throat, over wetland at 175yd approach; long, narrow green with multiple bail-out bunkers on right. 

Now, at Quail Hollow G&CC / Oakham, MA), it’s #18 (par4, 329/295/270yd): blind tee-shot to elevated fairway; approach must clear all-around wetlands to small, island-like green with extreme undulations (possible low, left side bail-out; but overhanging tree blocks most shots) — On approach: Take extra-club, go long & make the up/down. 

Driver:    :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 12.5’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 19.0’

Fairway: :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 21.0’ Heavenwood

Irons:      :callaway-logo-1:  Big Bertha. 2023. A-Light. 6-7-8-9-PW-AW.

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 50’

Wedge:    :cleveland-small: CBX-Zipcore. Wedge. 54’

Putter:       :taylormade-small:Spider. Tour III

I have two on two different courses. The first in on my home golf course, Flagstone Golf Course and it's the 10th hole. The hole itself isn't very intimidating, it's a 350 yard par 4 and is very reachable in two for me. The kicker is the tee shot, you have a line of trees on the left hand side that are covering a creek. I've lost many balls due to my miss being a pull hook. I have parred it twice recently, once from the forward tees (I was playing from there so I could actually possibly get a par to build a positive memory), and last time I played there from the green tees. 

20190831_111849-01.jpeg.4b07ab850dde42c0b6df6f115084c32c.jpeg

The other one is the 5th hole at Indian Trace. Again, it's an easy hole, a short par 3 that's protected by a pond and a tree on the right. I just cannot get the ball over the water because I either top or shank it. 

Screenshot_20240411_145555_Golfshot.jpg.f5a3d94da896fad05ea8dd80abc2bca2.jpg

I can see how that tee shot is intimated seeing you either have to fly it over the trees or right down the middle. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

On 4/11/2024 at 9:51 AM, ejgaudette said:

This hole look just uninspiring and the type that makes people not want to play. There is no strategy, no chance of recovery. Hit it here or else you will be making at least 5. I will still never truly understand the penal school of golf architecture.

It's definitely a challenge and makes  you think about what club you're selecting. I've hit a couple of draw drivers that end up around 275 - 290 and leave you in great shape. I also hit that same distance and retee two or three times (depends on how much birdie juice I've had and how much pride stupidity is floating around in it). 3W is what most will play off the tee, but I've also hit the the green going 5i - 7i. It definitely snags a lot of people and puts a lot of ink on the scorecard. 

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

On 4/10/2024 at 12:35 PM, CFreddie said:

I had the opportunity to play in a small tournament out there last year, #10 is no joke! Was hoping for a straightforward birdie opportunity to kick off the back nine but it quickly turned into bogey avoidance. The course as a whole definitely tests your ability to manage your misses

College Club Golfer, 4 Years Caddie Experience

WITB:

Driver: TM Stealth

3-Wood: Titleist TS2

Utility Iron: TM Stealth UDI 2 iron 

Irons: Mizuno JPX 923 Tour

Wedges: TM MG3

Putter: TM Spider X