Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×
2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

Is the Masters Lower TV ratings Due to PGA Tour/LIV Feud or Something Else?

Golf2Much

It was reported that Sunday's Master viewership was down 20% and was the lowest in 30 years (not counting the COVID years).   In general, PGA Tour event viewership is down around 20% as well.

Listening to some of the players, they seem to imply that the feud between the PGA and LIV tours and players are turning off viewers which in turn is driving the lower numbers.  Rory is quoted to say, "I just think with the fighting and everything that's gone on over the past couple of years, people are just getting fatigued, and it's turning people off men's professional golf, and that's not a good thing for anyone."

When I read that and other quotes, I found it interesting that many focused on themselves.  Somehow, that doesn't surprise me that the multimillionaire golfers and their multibillion-dollar game would think it's about them.   I think it's more likely due to having too many other entertainment options and changing viewing habits.   

In a recent report, the PGA Tour is the 16th most watched live sport on television capturing only 10% of viewers.  To put it in some perspective, in the same report had NASCAR had 24% viewership, NHL hockey is 20%, and the women's WNBA had 12% viewership.  So, PGA golf is starting from behind already.

Today, streaming services account for over one-third of all television viewership opening up more options to a greater population.   There's a growing portion of the population dedicated (and even addicted) to online gaming, especially with younger people.  Too many options and not enough time.  

I have a feeling that even if the PGA Tour and LIV kissed, made up and were integrated together, after a short term bounce viewership would be on a downward trend again.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I wonder how they count "viewership"? is that someone who watches from beginning to end? 3-4 hours of watching a golf tournament is a big commitment - even if it's the Masters. Or is it someone who turns it on for the last hour?

I agree with your theory on if there was a "merger". I'm not sure it would make much of a difference. The arrival of spring might have been a factor as well - folks don't want to sit indoors and watch golf when it's finally a nice day outside.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS 9.5
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

7 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

I think it's more likely due to having too many other entertainment options and changing viewing habits.   

I’ll agree with this post.  With the rise YouTube golf channels I think people are getting more enjoyment watching the influencers play golf than the pros.    I think the article MGS did recently is spot on.   

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/the-rise-of-youtube-golf-why-is-on-demand-golf-so-popular/

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

I wonder how they count "viewership"? is that someone who watches from beginning to end? 3-4 hours of watching a golf tournament is a big commitment - even if it's the Masters. Or is it someone who turns it on for the last hour?

It is probably based on Neilson type ratings.  Selected people document what they watch and how much time they spent watching.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

35 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

It was reported that Sunday's Master viewership was down 20% and was the lowest in 30 years (not counting the COVID years).   In general, PGA Tour event viewership is down around 20% as well.

Listening to some of the players, they seem to imply that the feud between the PGA and LIV tours and players are turning off viewers which in turn is driving the lower numbers.  Rory is quoted to say, "I just think with the fighting and everything that's gone on over the past couple of years, people are just getting fatigued, and it's turning people off men's professional golf, and that's not a good thing for anyone."

When I read that and other quotes, I found it interesting that many focused on themselves.  Somehow, that doesn't surprise me that the multimillionaire golfers and their multibillion-dollar game would think it's about them.   I think it's more likely due to having too many other entertainment options and changing viewing habits.   

In a recent report, the PGA Tour is the 16th most watched live sport on television capturing only 10% of viewers.  To put it in some perspective, in the same report had NASCAR had 24% viewership, NHL hockey is 20%, and the women's WNBA had 12% viewership.  So, PGA golf is starting from behind already.

Today, streaming services account for over one-third of all television viewership opening up more options to a greater population.   There's a growing portion of the population dedicated (and even addicted) to online gaming, especially with younger people.  Too many options and not enough time.  

I have a feeling that even if the PGA Tour and LIV kissed, made up and were integrated together, after a short term bounce viewership would be on a downward trend again.  

ESPN+ reported large increase in viewership on Thursday and Friday as well as Sunday.

TV ratings aren’t a great way to measure viewership. It’s always been a flawed metric from the inception. Even more so for sports. As I mentioned in another thread it doesn’t account for large groups watching at clubhouses, bars, sports bars/restaurants, holes where a large group maybe watching together or even a couple people.

Now add in the amount of streaming services and less people are actually watching tv.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I feel like in the current age viewership is hard. The broadcast also being split the way it was and starting pretty late every day means most people needed to watch on either espn+ or the website itself. I know tv ratings systems have been trying to catch up. 

Driver:   G425 Max w/Hzardous im10
Fairway:  M4 3 wood w/fujikura atmos Cobra LTDx 5 wood w/hzrdous im10 shaft
Hybrids:  G425  max 3 hybrid w/alta cb      
Irons:      P790 4-pw  w/ dynamic gold 95
Wedge:   50 degree MG4 54/58 degree MG3 w/dynamic gold r300
Putter:   white hot versa double bend seven 

Well, i can tell you that in my area we've had an unusually dry and warm winter and spring.  The courses were absolutely packed around here this past weekend.  I was out golfing both days, so I only saw the last few holes live on Sunday.

Golfers would rather go out and play than sit at home on the couch on a beautiful day.  Especially after having to take a few months off for the winter.  I know I'm not alone, I'm sure that affected viewership to some extent.

:mizuno-small: ST-X 230, 9.5°, Fujikura Ventus Red TR, 7-X

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 plus, 15°, Accra FX 2.0 370 M4

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB, 3-4, Graphic Design Tour AD-95, X-Flex

:mizuno-small: MP-20, MMC, 5-PW, Nippon Modus 2.0 Tour 120, S-Flex

:mizuno-small: T-24, 50°, 55°, 60°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 115

:mizuno-small: M.Craft II

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS

:Arccos: 

Would be curious on the Masters app numbers..it was the only way for me to watch and follow.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Personally I feel it has to do with a number of reasons, PGATour/LIV feud, fan empathy, lack of big names in competition both on Saturday and Sunday. The sooner the majors adjust to having some form of formula to allow all of the top golfers in the world competing, their tv ratings as a whole will decrease. As for the PGA Tour weekly broadcasts, they will steadily go downhill unless some form of resolution is completed, along with their "top" performers start acting like top performers in their regular events.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons;    Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

The PGA LIV issues makes far more sense for the fact PGA and LIV are struggling  with viewership on a weekly basis don't really think it would make sense to be the reason a major may have been down since this is one of the 4 instances a year where they two come together.  Other than the last 6 holes of the tournament there were plenty of big names in contention basically the whole week. I am curious if you look at the fact that the sport has always had issues with an aging population and younger generations gravitating more towards things like YouTube content would play into people caring less about professional golf in general too. 

2 hours ago, jolter1 said:

Personally I feel it has to do with a number of reasons, PGATour/LIV feud, fan empathy, lack of big names in competition both on Saturday and Sunday. The sooner the majors adjust to having some form of formula to allow all of the top golfers in the world competing, their tv ratings as a whole will decrease. As for the PGA Tour weekly broadcasts, they will steadily go downhill unless some form of resolution is completed, along with their "top" performers start acting like top performers in their regular events.

2 hours ago, jayyarr said:

The PGA LIV issues makes far more sense for the fact PGA and LIV are struggling  with viewership on a weekly basis don't really think it would make sense to be the reason a major may have been down since this is one of the 4 instances a year where they two come together.  Other than the last 6 holes of the tournament there were plenty of big names in contention basically the whole week. I am curious if you look at the fact that the sport has always had issues with an aging population and younger generations gravitating more towards things like YouTube content would play into people caring less about professional golf in general too. 

Again people aren’t watching tv like they used to and streaming services are very popular especially since one can be out and about and still watch. ESPN+ had over 3 million viewers for rounds 1 and 2. Who knows how many were on the masters app or another streaming service.

Talking about viewership numbers on tv without looking at what they are measuring which isn’t the viewership numbers where there are multiple proper watching at home, at an establishment that has TVs. It was on at the gym i go to. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

"A house divided against itself cannot stand"

I honestly believe golf in general has probably lost a lot of 'on the fence' fans since the fracture of the sport.
By the time the majors roll around and the sport comes back together it's too little too late.

The divide in the sport hasn't grown the game, it's pretty much had the opposite effect.

IMO, once professional golf finds and agreement and it all comes back together I think it's going to take years to build back to where it was before.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

I never watched the broadcast once preferring to follow the action on the app. The Master's App has set the standard for a fully immersive viewing experience and more and more casual fans are now aware of it and that it has most certainly impacted broadcast viewership.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

I watch golf pretty religiously all season. Its one of the few sports I'm really interested in and follow every week. I have been finding it harder and harder to watch over the last year because of the broadcast itself. If you don't have espn+ golf is largely unwatchable. The main broadcast is LOADED with ads, so much so that once you get bored and pull out your phone during the ads, the broadcast comes back on and by the time you're back watching golf more ads come on or the dreaded "playing through". I understand they need to make their ad money, but the ad load compared to quality watch time is horrendous. 

The on course interviews with players during the round has added a bit of entertainment to some weekends, but I think they need to keep the creativity going. Try something new, do something that makes us want to watch.

I do think the LIV/PGA feud may have a little something to do with the decreased viewership, but if the broadcast product was even borderline quality to watch I think viewership would be improved.

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

13 minutes ago, Nick_D said:

The main broadcast is LOADED with ads, so much so that once you get bored and pull out your phone during the ads, the broadcast comes back on and by the time you're back watching golf more ads come on or the dreaded "playing through". I understand they need to make their ad money, but the ad load compared to quality watch time is horrendous. 

☝️- this x1000

I turned it on during a regular event, saw 4 putts and then a commercial, come back - a couple of wedge shots, a few putts, commercial...

if you want to know why people aren't watching golf, it's because the way it is televised is unwatchable.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS 9.5
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

3 minutes ago, StrokerAce said:

☝️- this x1000

I turned it on during a regular event, saw 4 putts and then a commercial, come back - a couple of wedge shots, a few putts, commercial...

if you want to know why people aren't watching golf, it's because the way it is televised is unwatchable.

ESPN+ has been a good investment for me. I do enjoy watching featured group coverage and the commentating is usually pretty good. 

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

With the PGA Tour / LIV split, there's no doubt we're not seeing the best players every week.

The Master's tournament is too much hype. The announcers talk about Augusta National like it's holy ground.  Nope, it's just a super maintained golf course, and it's closed all summer.  

Everyone I talked to said the same thing "Scotty had the lead on Sunday morning, so I already knew the outcome. I decided to skip the final round on TV". 

image.png.94f13df8145a5d3d3e8432352619fb85.png

On 4/17/2024 at 6:00 PM, Splatt said:

"A house divided against itself cannot stand"

I honestly believe golf in general has probably lost a lot of 'on the fence' fans since the fracture of the sport.
By the time the majors roll around and the sport comes back together it's too little too late.

The divide in the sport hasn't grown the game, it's pretty much had the opposite effect.

IMO, once professional golf finds and agreement and it all comes back together I think it's going to take years to build back to where it was before.

I think this most accurately reflects my sentiment about what is happening to tour golf.  The PGA vs. LIV storyline has soured many long time fans.  I'm not even sure a reconciliation between the two tours will reverse the trend as many are also tired of the "prima-donnafication" of players (which is happening to all professional and now college sports).

The points about changes in how fans view sports (streaming platforms) may very well not be accounted for and reflected in the numbers.  Maybe viewership is actually up... don't know?

But, for me, I don't like what is happening to the sport - now all about money - or so it seems to me.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I blame it on the new “need” for constant entertainment.  People would rather watch a 14 second TikTok of a highlight so they can keep scrolling rather than investing an entire day of watching, plus the field was less than stellar.  We just don’t have the firepower out there like we did even 5 years ago.  It was a heck of a lot more fun to watch when Rickie was in his prime, Rory and DJ… whatever we have now is what I am assuming golf was like before Tiger.  A few good players, an elite player, and the rest like to come in 20th.

On 4/17/2024 at 10:24 AM, RickyBobby_PR said:

ESPN+ reported large increase in viewership on Thursday and Friday as well as Sunday.

TV ratings aren’t a great way to measure viewership. It’s always been a flawed metric from the inception. Even more so for sports. As I mentioned in another thread it doesn’t account for large groups watching at clubhouses, bars, sports bars/restaurants, holes where a large group maybe watching together or even a couple people.

Now add in the amount of streaming services and less people are actually watching tv.

And pro sports in general struggle on how to determine viewership in these days of streaming services and the aforementioned bars/pubs. And yes, there are a lot of people who are soured on the whole PGA Tour/LIV non-movement, along with the lack of information from the Tour. If I hadn't told my wife "I'm doing nothing but watching The Masters on Sunday", I would have had too much going on to do so. Brands are more successful these days in grabbing attention and pulling people in more directions than ever before, and families have so many more options. I'd be curious to know if recorded and later viewed numbers are counted.

Gantwerk Golf

World's highest handicap PXG player

... Liv/pga tour feud is kind like a $175k Mercedes-Maybach GLS 600 SUV and a $185k BMW XM Label arguing in a parking lot over which one gets to take up two parking spaces instead of each taking one spot.

... I am a perfect example of a long time Pga tour viewer that has lost interest because of the greed by both parties. I still watch the Majors and every LPGA event, but not most Pga Tour stops and never Liv. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

The PGA just needs to take a lesson from the NFL on how to increase viewership and try to set up their most eligible player with Taylor Swift 

I have a different perspective on why golf viewership has been on a downward trend.

I think the quality of play on the PGA Tour has risen so far above what the average golfer can relate to, recreational viewers are losing interest.

In days gone by, we could watch Jack Nicklaus hit a 7 Iron into a 155 yard Par 3 hole and know that we could do the same thing.  We could watch John Daly hit Driver-3 Wood into a 550 yard Par 5 and we knew weren't far from being able to do it, too.

We now see a 15 year old kid, shooting -14 in a Korn-Ferry event.

We used to watch golf on TV and think were only 6 month's of practice, from being on the PGA Tour.  A Scratch golfer knew he was close.  These days? A Scratch golfer wouldn't break 80 on his best day, on a course set up for a Tour event.

I think professional tournament golf, has distanced itself from the golf we play ever day.  That wasn't the case 10-20 years ago.  We used to play the same game, on the same courses.  Not so much these days.

5 hours ago, BrianL99 said:

I have a different perspective on why golf viewership has been on a downward trend.

I think the quality of play on the PGA Tour has risen so far above what the average golfer can relate to, recreational viewers are losing interest.

In days gone by, we could watch Jack Nicklaus hit a 7 Iron into a 155 yard Par 3 hole and know that we could do the same thing.  We could watch John Daly hit Driver-3 Wood into a 550 yard Par 5 and we knew weren't far from being able to do it, too.

We now see a 15 year old kid, shooting -14 in a Korn-Ferry event.

We used to watch golf on TV and think were only 6 month's of practice, from being on the PGA Tour.  A Scratch golfer knew he was close.  These days? A Scratch golfer wouldn't break 80 on his best day, on a course set up for a Tour event.

I think professional tournament golf, has distanced itself from the golf we play ever day.  That wasn't the case 10-20 years ago.  We used to play the same game, on the same courses.  Not so much these days.

Tv contracts and the advertising costs plus those willing to pay it disagree. If there wasn’t a return on the investment for paying those fees the broadcast channels wouldn’t be paying the money and the advertisers wouldn’t pay the prices for their commercials.

Too many focus on the tv viewership number with is a misleading and inaccurate stat.