Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

TaylorMade RocketBladez Irons Review

GolfSpy WD

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great quality reviews from everyone.

I would be guessing but probably not too far off the mark by saying that 90% of golfers (maybe even more) who buy GI irons would not get a professional fit and simply just buy off the rack. So for the sake of this discussion lets assume this to be correct.

Why then would TM fit the new RocketBladez with a shaft that apparently does not work. For the price of these irons who is going to pay RRP and then spend the extra dollars to get custom shafts fitted. Is this the slip up that will cost TM the top spot to Nike??

Why not offer the heads with a multiple range of shaft choices.

What I am reading from the reviews is that the heads are great when fitted with the right shaft but that puts the price into the higher end of the market. Is this a calculated marketing strategy or a mistake.

Also does TM offer a test club that you can live with for a month or 2 and if you do not like it just give it back. I have a Miura 57 series on the way to test for free that is fitted with my choice of shaft. (KBS C Taper).

AJ

I think the reason the stock shaft is light is because "lighter = longer". Everyone's bought into that, so offering a heavier shaft will make it sell less for this particular market. The Tours do come stock with KBS Tours though.

What I think most people miss out on is the fitting cart, where you can try every shaft offered by TM, including the ones we got. There are a lot of choices if you click the "custom options" tab on the RBDZ page.

I have no idea how much of a price difference there is for custom options. My impression is that often there is no difference in price though, unless it's really exotic like the C Tapers or Programs. I could be wrong on this though.

I have no idea how much of a price difference there is for custom options. My impression is that often there is no difference in price though, unless it's really exotic like the C Tapers or Programs. I could be wrong on this though.

Depends on the brand and the shaft. Generally though you can assume

PX, PXi, Programs, C Tapers, etc = $$

KBS, versions of DG's like the GS and SL's = $

I really dislike the Rocketfuel shaft, but as MBP said, it'll fit most people just fine. Worked for most people on the RBZ's so I can't imagine why it wouldn't here either.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I think the reason the stock shaft is light is because "lighter = longer". Everyone's bought into that, so offering a heavier shaft will make it sell less for this particular market. The Tours do come stock with KBS Tours though.

What I think most people miss out on is the fitting cart, where you can try every shaft offered by TM, including the ones we got. There are a lot of choices if you click the "custom options" tab on the RBDZ page.

Thanks, I have been browsing the Australian TM web page and it does not show the custom shaft options with the same detail as the US web page. Makes my last post sound a little dumb. blink.gif

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Thanks, I have been browsing the Australian TM web page and it does not show the custom shaft options with the same detail as the US web page. Makes my last post sound a little dumb. blink.gif

AJ

Honestly, you're about the tenth person I've chatted with that didn't notice TM's custom options and I didn't notice myself until T pointed them out to me sometime last year. The problem is they make you jump through hoops to actually order it, so most golfers who aren't aware of the benefits of custom fitting miss out on it.

Oh ya forgot to mention Sergio. The announcers were literally freaking out that he went for the 2 par 5's I watched with an iron. This was the best Rocketbladez advertising yet. No joke they went on and on about it, so you know they're long!

Crap. I was letting the kids watch movies and forgot to watch. Sure woulda been better than "Spy Kids" for the 20th time! Grrrrr!!! :wacko:

I have come to the conclusion I need GI irons period so that is the main reason for the switch so.....Just placed my order from a authorized dealer who offered 4 clubs at 350 with "some" reasonable shafts. KBS 90, Dynamic (all versions) and the rocket fuel with no extra charge.

I ordered the 7-PW 1 degree strong to see if I can make my set like this:

Driver, 3W, 3-5 Hybrid 7-PW (1 degree strong so like having 6-9) But....the lofts are manageable 7 iron 29.5, 8 iron 34*, 9 iron 39*, PW 44*. I am going to bend my current 51* wedge to 49*, my current 55* and 59* to 53*, 57* and add a 62*.

the reason for doing this (albeit not too different from a normal set) was first to get GI irons and then to get a little closer to my 5 hybrid gap to my six iron. If the RBLZ do what they are suppose to then the 7 iron at a .5* strong should close that GAP (20 yards currently) causing some difficulty on mid par 3's. adding the "extra" wedge will keep everything straightened out on the low end (hopefully). once I get back into the swing of things I will report the outcomes of yardage changes and GAP Filing. I will have some different yardages all across the board but #THIS LITTLE THING hopefully secured the higher end of the set while not changing the lower end....Oh and the psychological aspect of seeing that I have "5" wedges in the bag might help too.

After writing this I think I need a shrink....Anyone no a good one???

I have come to the conclusion I need GI irons period so that is the main reason for the switch so.....Just placed my order from a authorized dealer who offered 4 clubs at 350 with "some" reasonable shafts. KBS 90, Dynamic (all versions) and the rocket fuel with no extra charge.

I ordered the 7-PW 1 degree strong to see if I can make my set like this:

Driver, 3W, 3-5 Hybrid 7-PW (1 degree strong so like having 6-9) But....the lofts are manageable 7 iron 29.5, 8 iron 34*, 9 iron 39*, PW 44*. I am going to bend my current 51* wedge to 49*, my current 55* and 59* to 53*, 57* and add a 62*.

the reason for doing this (albeit not too different from a normal set) was first to get GI irons and then to get a little closer to my 5 hybrid gap to my six iron. If the RBLZ do what they are suppose to then the 7 iron at a .5* strong should close that GAP (20 yards currently) causing some difficulty on mid par 3's. adding the "extra" wedge will keep everything straightened out on the low end (hopefully). once I get back into the swing of things I will report the outcomes of yardage changes and GAP Filing. I will have some different yardages all across the board but #THIS LITTLE THING hopefully secured the higher end of the set while not changing the lower end....Oh and the psychological aspect of seeing that I have "5" wedges in the bag might help too.

After writing this I think I need a shrink....Anyone no a good one???

Let us know how it goes fsav. Your wedges are definitely going to be fairly high bounce after that, but I hear ya, I have five "wedges", though I only use my GW/SW/LW as actual wedges.

What new slot technology? Wilson had RocketBladez three decades ago!!! :lol:

True. The difference being that they didn't work, while TM's does. It only took 30 years to refine the design heh.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

First thing Wilson did when the Rocketbladez were announced was to post these on their facebook. I hear next year TM is going to "invent" the Ti filled cavity ;)

Didn't know that. That's funny! Don't blame 'em though. I still have several old "vintage" sets I got with a load of clubs from an old golf shop. This set was in there. I need to unload it all actually. It's not like I'll ever use them. Got a couple sets of Browning clubs. Goofy looking things! Didn't know they made clubs until I saw those. Oh the funniest club that I saved just cuz, is a Lynx wedge. The grooves are vertical instead of horizontal on the face! Cracks me up!

Didn't know that. That's funny! Don't blame 'em though. I still have several old "vintage" sets I got with a load of clubs from an old golf shop. This set was in there. I need to unload it all actually. It's not like I'll ever use them. Got a couple sets of Browning clubs. Goofy looking things! Didn't know they made clubs until I saw those. Oh the funniest club that I saved just cuz, is a Lynx wedge. The grooves are vertical instead of horizontal on the face! Cracks me up!

I'd love to hear what made someone think vertical grooves would work

I'd love to hear what made someone think vertical grooves would work

Some people, like Don Trahan for one, claim the grooves have nothing to do with spin because the ball can't fit in the grooves, and they're only there to give moisture and debris a place to go! Really, that was his argument! Never mind the fact that good sharp grooves can shred a ball cover! So I bet it was someone with that theory who decided to "prove" it. We can all see how far that made it! It is hilarious. I should probably post of pic of it.

Let us know how it goes fsav. Your wedges are definitely going to be fairly high bounce after that, but I hear ya, I have five "wedges", though I only use my GW/SW/LW as actual wedges.

Will do WD!

I believe my bounce will go the other way though. I am taking higher lofted clubs and decreasing loft. or am I wrong?-

Yep, sorry, I got it backwards.

It's cool I am new to the adjustments of clubs as doing things on mine own (not this) but personalization and stuff hopefully I will be able to get into doing my own shafts and such because ti cuts back on the cost a ton. I did some putters and reshafted those (very easy) but tipping irons and wood shafts takes practice and I don't have all the equipment so i stick to the pros to get this done.

Appreciate the chat all will def get back with my findings. might be a while i am going on IR over the holiday for a knee scope so after this weekend things will be SLOWING DOWN!!!!!!!!

Hey guys,

Just grabbed these an wondering anyone checked the tolerances for lofts? If so any insight would ne great I assume the normal 1-3 degrees but that would kind of go against the string loft equals more distance scenario

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone help me with the head weight of these irons can't find it anywhere. Trying to get a feel for what I want to do shaft wise . Of course I can always pull them off but normally you can find this spec somewhere I even email tmag with no avail

Nice reviews in here. I have only hit the 7 iron in a sim but was impressed and saw at least a half club of extra yardage and wasn't even warmed up. I had the rocketballz set and thought they were awful. I also had the Cleveland black irons and felt the new RBZs looked better and were easier to hit. I really liked the stock shafts. If I was in the market I would definitely give these a shot.

AMP

Mashie

I20s

ATVs

Golo

Anyone help me with the head weight of these irons can't find it anywhere. Trying to get a feel for what I want to do shaft wise . Of course I can always pull them off but normally you can find this spec somewhere I even email tmag with no avail

I do not know the head weight but as far as shafts go I have just tried a KBS C-Taper in a Miura Baby Blade and would highly recommend you give these a try. Great feel and penetrating flight.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

I played yesterday with a friend who just got a set of rocketblades. I got to hit a few shots with them when I went for my TMag fitting in October. He hit some really nice iron shots early on (very unusual for him - he's a 22). We got to the par 3 7 which was playing 149 over water - it can play 180 so we caught a break - at any rate I hit a nice smooth 7 pin high 15 feet right - he also hit 7 - he's normally a half club to a club shorter than I am and that held off the tee all day - I'm about 15 yards longer than him with the driver -

He blew it over the green! I said, give me that thing - dropped it on the ground and first swing knocked it to the back of the green - I took out my GPS and hit measure - my Mizzie 7 which was well struck went 148 - I would have hit 7 and expected about the same result with my old irons - the one I hit with the rocket bladz went 163 and that was off the turf - his went farther still - pretty remarkable -

Didn't get a chance to try them again because we weren't near each other on 8 or 9 and it started pouring after teeing off on 10 -

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

I played yesterday with a friend who just got a set of rocketblades. I got to hit a few shots with them when I went for my TMag fitting in October. He hit some really nice iron shots early on (very unusual for him - he's a 22). We got to the par 3 7 which was playing 149 over water - it can play 180 so we caught a break - at any rate I hit a nice smooth 7 pin high 15 feet right - he also hit 7 - he's normally a half club to a club shorter than I am and that held off the tee all day - I'm about 15 yards longer than him with the driver -

He blew it over the green! I said, give me that thing - dropped it on the ground and first swing knocked it to the back of the green - I took out my GPS and hit measure - my Mizzie 7 which was well struck went 148 - I would have hit 7 and expected about the same result with my old irons - the one I hit with the rocket bladz went 163 and that was off the turf - his went farther still - pretty remarkable -

Didn't get a chance to try them again because we weren't near each other on 8 or 9 and it started pouring after teeing off on 10 -

Great story rev. What was the height/ball flght like?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Hey all,

Got my set for bday/Xmas and I did clos ethe gap between my five hybrid and six iron with the seven rocketbladez one degree strong. The hieght was remarkable but with the kbs 90s I lost some one the short ions to ballooning going to add the aerotechs an see what happens. In any event I will have to make my other wedges strong to fill in the lower gaps and I have since added an mp 11t mizuno which is sick the first shot from 55 yards spun about five to ten feet which in the range I usually see a grab and bite.

Archived