Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Love a putter that doesn't love you?

GolfSpy Tim

Have you guys ever picked up a flat stick that you LOVED - and at first sight it even gave you some love back, but over time you realize that the darn thing just doesn't work? It's like the hot girl with a bad attitude.

I've finally run into one. So sexy, feels so good, even does the trick when I practice indoors at home with it - but I just CAN'T sink putts with the thing.

Is there anything worth doing to try and make it work? Paint it? Light it on fire? Piss on it? Dance naked around it?

Or do I just hang her up as an art piece in my golf collection?

photo.JPG

What a beauty I'd just hang it up and look at it unless the shaft flips the other way and then I give it to me LOL.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

• SPY VIP

Have you guys ever picked up a flat stick that you LOVED - and at first sight it even gave you some love back, but over time you realize that the darn thing just doesn't work? It's like the hot girl with a bad attitude.

I've finally run into one. So sexy, feels so good, even does the trick when I practice indoors at home with it - but I just CAN'T sink putts with the thing.

Is there anything worth doing to try and make it work? Paint it? Light it on fire? Piss on it? Dance naked around it?

photo.JPG

Yup I have one. I can tell you from experience that naked dancing does not help, I've tried 3 different grips and even lengthened to my standard. It's a magic wand on the putting green but once I'm on the course it's all down hill from there.

Mines visiting the back of the closet as we speak.

003.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Odyssey Tour Back #8. Love that putter. The shape and feel is excellent. The lack of sightline and the low head weight mean I just can't get a feel for it to actually sink putts.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

Unrequited putter love. The Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6. Love the looks at address. So clean so perfect, just one problem. I miss a 10'er but 3' either way.

On the other hand the 1.5 looks so crooked at address it hurts my teeth. But is deadly accurate. What can I say? I own a 1.5 but not the 2.6.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I love the look of the SC Coronado but its not available in LH So it doesn't love me back.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

This explains how I felt about that SC Circa 62 #7 that I recently got rid of. I didn't really want to get rid of it, but I wanted other clubs more after I gave it more time than it deserved.

C'est la vie. I actually have this feeling more about irons (the MP-59s that are now gone as well)

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

• SPY VIP

Owning a putter that is not your gamer? Why that just seems wasteful. Who needs more than one putter?

bag photo.jpg

Don't start hoarding putters Tim. Soon, you will be like me, The Official MGS Cat-Lady of Puttersâ„¢ :lol:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I've bought more plumbers neck putters to try and force to work than makes sense. I know they don't work for m, but every time I see one that's the least bit sexy, I buy it. Sounds like dollar night at the local watering hole when I was 21.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

C'est la vie. I actually have this feeling more about irons (the MP-59s that are now gone as well)

But the MP59's now have a loving and caring home. They are being well taken care of and get out almost daily.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Have you guys ever picked up a flat stick that you LOVED - and at first sight it even gave you some love back, but over time you realize that the darn thing just doesn't work?

Yup, I call them putters.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Every single ping anser head shape I've ever tried. Gorgeous putters that please the eye, but man, I don't even sniff the cup when I use one.

Heel shafted mid mallets are kind of in the same boat. I'll make heaps of long ones but miss too often inside ten feet to bag one.

Quite honestly, no. The first putter I bought in 2006 was a Yes! Tracy...it's still in the bag. B)

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Absolutely. I love the look of the odyssey 9 more than anything (not the odyssey much as some bettinardi versions) but I've never played well with one. But the rack looks so lonely without it....

I'm in the same boat, love the #9, but can't put for sh!t with it or any other version. Although the other day I was rolling the Versa #9 and was dropping putt after putt.

For me it's anything center shafted and belly putters. They look good but there could be a 2' wide hole and I'd still not be able to make anything.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

photo.JPG

What type of putter is this?

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

Try the same putter with a SuperStroke grip.

GREAT COMMENT !!!!! I do not know what it is about that grip but I installed a slim 3.0 on a Nike Methode 002. different animal now....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Well, no not really, because I have have the same style of putter for as long as I can remember. I have tried 100s of putters in the store but Io always gravitated to the Anser / Anser 2 style of putter. The center shafted putter never fit my eye, the heel shafted putters never really worked well for me, it was more the same style of putter and different lengths in trial / error.

I have tried different offsets in that style of putter 1/2 offset, 3/4 offset, full offset tended to lean more at the 3/4 and full offsets. It really wasn't until I started working with Bruce Rearick that I realized i had stumbled across the putter design that works really well with my stroke.

I ended up right back where I started currently, in college I played the SC NP2 33" long, I am back to the same head at 33" long with the same exact grip as in college. I just have an understanding of why it works for me and why not to change anything moving forward. The head weight is really the only last trial and error for me, I need to find a weight that is not so light I tend to steer it and is not to heavy that it wants to fight my stoke motions.

I currently own 3 putters all 3 have a middle intersection with the shaft and a full shaft offset.

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

>> Raw head weight of 332g, when it got re-shafted I had the builder bring it up to 340g with an 8g tip weight.

>> I more recently have added 5 tungsten 2g weight squares to the cavity to get it up to roughly 350g, but removed two of them to get around 346g

>> I need to get the loft checked on this one again and see where we are at with it, I'm thinking it's around 4*.

SeeMore DB4

>> Roughly 350g raw head weight

>> I had this changed to 4* of loft

YES! Callie-f

>> Roughly 355g raw head weight

>> I had this changed to 4* of loft.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

Zinger... I did just that!!! and again, it worked soooo perfect at home on the puttist, then when I hit the golf course, NOTHING works with it.

I'm obsessed with the super stroke grip and was convinced that was the solution.

I do play with the super stroke on my gamer, and it works.

I'm gaming a radius and we get along well, but I'm a ***** for things more unique and more expensive :-(

Dave - dude.... you freak me out every time I play a round with you there's a new putter in your hands - that's an addiction I'd love to have, but I think would also send me into overdose quickly!!

Yup, Dave Hicks Putting - out of business :-(

Since you and that putter don't get along, would you want for it to find a new home - someone who loves center shafted blade putters (especially brass)? :)

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

Ditto!! It's the first Scotty that I've ever unloaded cuz I gave up on it, haha. And like I said in Danno's(GS MBP) post, it's me, not the putter, however it was in my locker, a guy saw it, and with out even trying it out, offered me a great price, so I handed it to him right there, lol.

FWIW, He still has it in his bag and this will be his second season with it, so it's in a better bag, lol B)

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Thats funny. lol I bought mine off of my cousin for a decent price because I loved the look. Sold it to a friend of mine after about a year because I couldnt get it to work. My friend has since passed it down to his brother. Most the time I think its the person putting not the putter but in this case its gotta be the putter!! haha

Archived