Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Your Shot of the Day.

RoverRick

I was just thinking that today was just an average day at the course. Nothing worth writing about in the "How did you play thread?" thread, when I remembered one shot that was worthy. But that thread is about how you played the complete round. Not only that but some people have decided it was for lower handicap people, I missed the memo that said that, and there is also one called hacker's something or other.

But no matter you skill level there is almost always some shot that is worthy of at least Honorable Mention. That is what this thread is about.

So here is the first:

Today, we played 6 man Wolf. 3rd hole, par 5 doglegs right, I am the wolf and in the middle of the fairway 200 yards out. My partner is 2 feet behind me, short knocker :P, everyone else has hit and there is one that is close to the green but no one is on. My partner hits a pretty good shot but is short sided in the bunker, and I decide to cut a 2 iron around the trees and let it run on the green. So I get too close to the trees and one leave reached out and grabbed my ball. (This is my story and I am sticking with it.) So while three more are hitting I am looking for my ball and can not find it. My partner goes and hits then comes and helps. We eventually find it, about 3 inches from out of bounds under some leaves. So I have to go back and get my cart, and by the time I am ready some of the guys are already putting. They all clear off to the side. I am 70 yards out, can not actually see the putting surface because the false front, and the moguls. I am under a tree, and have a big hump of ground between me and the green and the pin is near a hump on the other side. I hit a waist high pitching wedge that came with a ton of spin, which is just what I wanted. It flies all the way to the green and hits the front edge and disappears from my sight. So I watch the guys reaction. Nothing. All five guys just stood there and did not move or anything. I thought , well it did not check up and went in the bunker on the other side. But I can still get up and down for par.

I drove around there and they were still standing there looking at the hole. I can not see my ball to I grab a wedge and putter and they said I do not need it. They said it was like watching on TV that my ball hit, hopped, went 6 feet past the hole, stopped, backed up and then tracked dead center of the hole for an eagle. I asked why no one celebrated and they said they were already counting the money they won with me almost out of bounds, my partner going to make par at best and them having two birdie putts from inside 2 feet. They had the hole won.

So feel free to list your shot of the day.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

That's awesome Rick.

My last hole today was a par 5. I missed out on birdie and parred it instead. There was a left to right breeze. I hit it straight down the left side of the fairway and it drew a little ending up in hardpan just off the fairway. It rolled out to 325 yds. I was 190 from the hole but behind a tree. There was no way to hit it high enough to clear the tree and still get there. I had a small window under the branches, but the tree was far enough away it would be very hard to stay low enough even with a 2i. I thought maybe I should play it safe and lay up, going over the tree. My buddy said, it's the last hole, go for it. I took my 3i, played it back and punched it. The ball came off with a pretty loud whiz it had so much spin. It stayed maybe 10 feet off the ground and hit pin high just left of the green in the rough. Wished I had cut it just a bit, but couldn't complain about that. I chipped it from the rough a little longer than I wanted to fly it and didn't get enough spin to stop it. It rolled about 15 feet past. I putted to a two foot tap in for a disappointing par, but nothing to complain about.

Great idea for a thread Rick!

Awesome thread!

Here's my nominee: Yesterday's round was sabotaged by a minor case of the shanks with my 3-wood and hybrids, so as a whole it was nothing to write home about. But the shot of the day came on the 6th, a 404 yard slight dogleg right, with a fairway that slopes sharply from right to left. Since sidehill lies with the ball above my feet is an automatic shank for me, I like to play this hole on the left side. Hit a bit more of a hook than I wanted, flirted with the creek on the left side by stayed in bounds in the rough -- all in all, not a bad spot.

Smoked a 6 iron from around 165, stuck it pin high about 15 feet from the cup. Hit the putt just the way I wanted, but it took a sharp right turn about a foot in front of the cup -- tapped in for a par. I blame the early season Minnesota greens. They didn't bother my playing partners much, which is odd rolleyes.gif.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great thread, Rick. It's been a few since I played, but I did have a stellar shot towards the end of the round. 17 is a 290yd par 4, with a raised green that slopes severely from back to front. I hit driver just past pin high and was short sided, 5yds right of the green. The pin was 5 paces on and right at the base of a hump and the green was about 6' above where my ball was. I opened the face on my 60* and took a hefty swing; then ball shot up, almost hitting my hat, landed on the fringe, hopped forward about 1' onto the green, then trickled down to 2' below the hole and I actually made the putt for birdie. It was probably a 1 in 10 shot; if I would have carried it anywhere on the green, I'd have had a 30' birdie putt from the bottom of the green.

Awesome thread!

Here's my nominee: Yesterday's round was sabotaged by a minor case of the shanks with my 3-wood and hybrids, so as a whole it was nothing to write home about. But the shot of the day came on the 6th, a 404 yard slight dogleg right, with a fairway that slopes sharply from right to left. Since sidehill lies with the ball above my feet is an automatic shank for me, I like to play this hole on the left side. Hit a bit more of a hook than I wanted, flirted with the creek on the left side by stayed in bounds in the rough -- all in all, not a bad spot.

Smoked a 6 iron from around 165, stuck it pin high about 15 feet from the cup. Hit the putt just the way I wanted, but it took a sharp right turn about a foot in front of the cup -- tapped in for a par. I blame the early season Minnesota greens. They didn't bother my playing partners much, which is odd rolleyes.gif.

I had the shanks so bad on Sunday. I probably hit four of them. I need to go to the range to work it out. The previous week I was nailing everything. Probably shot in the 80s had I actually kept score.

Nothing pisses me off more than a shank :angry:

I played 36 yesterday and had two "shots of the day" for me. First came on #9 which is a par 5 with water in front of the green, I was about 240 to a back pin for my 2nd shot. I had to carry about 210 to get over the water, hit a bullet of a 3w that cleared the water, landed on the front of the green and rolled up pin high about 10' away. I actually made the putt and got my first eagle of the year.

Next hole is another par 5 with a dogleg left and a huge waste bunker in the corner of the dogleg. Also smack in the middle of the waste bunker is a big mound of prairie grass. Since it's early May the grass isn't too long, but if you hit that mound in June/July you aren't going to find your ball. My drive was a snap hook off the toe and I ended up of on the side of the mound, it was towards the bottom though so the ball was only about 3" below my feet, but still in the prairie grass. I had about 230 to a front pin. Took out the 3w and just flushed it again. Dead at the pin, I couldn't see the green from where I hit it so I just turned around after it was in the air and told my bro-in-law I should be putting for eagle again. We got up to the green and I had about a 12 footer left for eagle. The ball went right over the pin and must have come damn close to hitting it. I missed the eagle putt but had a tap in birdie.

The best part was that this was the first round I played yesterday and it was in our 16 man competition. We won 5up and took all three points :)

Don't ask about the 2nd round. I was nowhere near sober and it didn't go as well.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Great thread Rick!

On Saturday I played a new course, and half way through the first hole it started bucketing down. We were saturated, but decided we couldn't get any wetter so got back out there. Some of the greens had little water hazards on them as a result and basically all of the cups were full of water. We decided not to keep score but play some longest drive and closest to the pin comps instead. 10th hole is a 184m (201yd) par-3 with bunkers surrounding the green left and right, and a steep bank behind leading to a river - hole cut 5ft from the front. I pulled 3-hybrid and gave it a 3/4 swing to keep some semblance of control (wet grips). I hit it clean, one bounce in front of the green and rolled pin-high 18-inches to the left.

I don't get many birdies, let alone tap-in birdies, so I was stoked (and 'closest to pin' win).

I don't know that this one quite qualifies but played yesterday it was beautiful. Sloppiest mini track I could find with me and my buddy(first actual round of the year for either of us no high end courses or greens fees needed.) and we came to the 9th tee both somewhat frustrated. I'd been killing the ball but not as accurately as I'd like. So With this being a dogleg right, figured I could really go after it and see what kind of distance I can crank out. Dogleg right, really swinging for it, ball goes left and far. Caught it right on the screws and launched it. Towards the parking lot. Waited. Didn't hear any glass break so wrote it off and teed another. Crushed that one perfect but that's not the shot of the day. Looking for my buddy's ball we circled around the back side of trees to get a better look and 4 guys drinking beer on the back of a pickup(southeast Ohio/river town Appalachia at its best) ask if we lost a ball. Sheepishly I said yes and prepared to dole over some cash for damages. They told me didn't break anything or hit anyone but had to play it as it lies. Apparently I caught a good bounce sent the ball about 350 and right into the back of the cart. Picked up apologized and went on to the echos of laughter. At least I didn't have to replace a windshield.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

I think that this qualifies, I hope so :)

On #18, a 207yd par three(from the blues), on Sunday in the Mixed Memorial Best Ball, Richard's brother hit a 6 iron to about 11-12' below the hole. The green is two tiered and the pin was back on the left and the ball was at the bottom of the slope to the second tier.

I putted first and made it!!

Yippeeeee! :lol:

It was my third birdie putt of the day and we won the tournament!!

I guess that you could say that there were two nice shots on the hole, lol

On #18, a 207yd par three(from the blues), on Sunday in the Mixed Memorial Best Ball, Richard's brother hit a 6 iron to about 11-12' below the hole. The green is two tiered and the pin was back on the left and the ball was at the bottom of the slope to the second tier.

AWSOME !!!

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

What do you mean you hope it qualifies? That is the beautiful part about this thread, you the poster decides if it was your shot of the day. We are just trying to share the experience. It can be a putt that changed the round, or finally you cleared that one obstacle that always jumps in the way or what ever you think was your shot of the day.

It does not even have to require much skill. Today, I was spraying the ball all over. I was 3 over after two holes. I pulled the next approach so far left and short that it hit a tree and bounced on the green leaving me 3 feet for birdie. Turned out to be the first of 5 birdies and the rest were pars for a 2 under.

Chipping in for birdie is not usually "shot of the day" material, but this one was. I had 18-20yds to a pin that was 4 paces from the back and one pace from a ridge that would take a ball all the way to the front of the green. Not only was I short sided (on fast greens) and the green was running away from me, but I was on bear dirt that had been slightly softened by rain. I took a 60*, carried it about 6" onto the green and watched it trickle down the hill and break 6" right, in to the hole. Before I hit it, I channeled Johnny Miller and said "anything within 15' is spectacular".

My shot of the day was any one of Brittany Lincecome's - she was three of four players down from me on the range the other day.

Great thread by the way - I've been on hiatus this week but will be back at it next tuesday so I'll have something to write here.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Of course that qualifies - you get bonus points for the other two birdie putts as well!!!!!

Any PFC always qualifies - my baby boy just made PFC in the Navy but that's backwards with them First Class Petty Officer - it fits him, being a Petty Officer and so does the shout out to you! Yahoo!

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I had my shot of the day (maybe even year) on a 354 yard par 4. The hole has a slight dog leg right and I had been having a terrible slice all day. So I lined up aiming in the middle of the rough on the left side. Tee up with my driver and absolutely crushed the ball 290-295 yards. Only issue, no slice, went dead straight into the fairway a hole over. As I walk to my ball trying to plan my next shot, I figured I was still about 150 yards away from the green and had a row of pine trees blocking the green about 100 yards in front of me as well. Didn't really have a great shot to play it safe back into my own fairway so instead I grabbed my pitching wedge and aimed for the pin location in the back left of the green. I swung through the ball trying to get the height I would need to clear the trees and let it fly. I cleared the trees without a problem and knew my shot was precisely where I wanted it; I was just hoping I didn't get a bad bounce or have it roll off the back of the green. Grabbed my bag and walked back into my own fairway to see my ball sitting 2 feet from the pin. Not a great tee shot obviously as I added an additional 100 yards to the hole, but the pitching wedge blind over trees was a remarkable shot and allowed me to tap in for birdie.

Driver: Taylormade R9 8.5° S

Fairway Wood: TBD
Irons: Cobra Amp 4i-9i
Wedges: SCOR 4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Rossie XG

Bag: TBD

Nice -

My shot of the day yesterday was simple enough - the front nine was league, I skipped the normal money game that goes the full 18 so that I could throw my 800 Pro 9 iron in the bag and hit it a few times on the back nine.

10 is a short par 4 - I hit hybrid off the tee to leave myself 135 so that I could hit it - I left myself 138 (pin was back). I hit that sucker straight up in the air and it came down straight at the pin 134 yards away (according to my GPS).

Love those aerotech shafts, they feel like steel but my back is fine today and boy do they launch the ball.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Par 4 10th hole at Stonebrooke - 326 yard downhill dogleg left. Hit a 3 wood off the tee that bounced into position A, roughly 65 yards from the pin (before you start ragging on me about a 270 yard 3-wood, it's downhill, caught a sharp kick and rolled (click here for the course tour - 10 is short but nasty). The green is wide but very shallow - you can't run it up or it'll fall off the back. Tried to baby a wedge and did a little skull-pull-fat-thud-chunker that left me about 25 yards from the pin, but with a better approach. Hit a running pitch that curved left towards the pin, leaving a tap-in for a badly needed par.

Only decent chip/pitch of the round!

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

#6 today, was playing 506, smashed a drive, GPS showed 162 left. The rest of the hole went like this, I should have gotten permission from John Barry to use this but....

I did mange par, but this is a good example of how I usually hit after a really good tee shot.

image.jpg

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Love the thread idea!

My round yesterday didn't have anything memorable enough to post about, so I'll back it up one round from the Rutgers University course. There were two shots that stick out. I left my tee shot on the 201 yard, par 3, 8th in the bunker just below hole high. I had been having some issues out of the bunkers up until this point, and couldn't get a good read on the sand. I finally got a good feel for the weight of the sand, opened up a LW, and dropped it in the hole after about an 8 ft run-out.

The second came somewhere on the backside after I lost a drive right that came to rest directly behind a small skinny tree. I went to take my medicine and play backwards into the fairway (would have had about 150 and change left) and I fluffed it about 3 yards. Still in jail, I tried to wrap a drawing 8 iron around the trees, and I nearly did, until it caught a thick branch at the top of the last tree. That left me about 90 yards and frustrated. I shut down a GW trying to draw it to the back left pin location. With a slight bend and just enough juice, it landed about a yard right and 5 yards short of the pin, took one big hop towards the cup, and hit the brakes, stopping about 3 inches away. That was a bogey I was relieved to take.

If you watched the Byron Nelson Tournament this weekend it will not come as a shock when I say it was windy. I played 36 holes on Saturday and again on Sunday and it was darned windy. 27 mph most of the time but at times it was close to 40. We have two holes that are side by side going in opposite directions. Number 5, a 485 yard par 5 and number 15 a 400 yard par 4. one of these holes almost always plays directly into the wind a one with the wind. While 5 is longer the both have a tee box on one hill. The landing zone is on a different hill, slightly higher, and the green is on the third hill. With the wind you can carry past the apex of the middle hill and then can get on the green in regulation. That is only half the battle because these are very tricky greens. With a strong southerly wind, I reached the par 5 in two hitting driver - 8 iron and hit a drive of about 340. That is not the shot of the day.

10 holes later I had to come back and play 15. The wind had to be betting close to 40 then and I pounded one right down the middle and was ecstatic to be in the middle of the fairway 185 yards out. I was a good 30 yards past my nearest competitor so I knew I had an opportunity to win the hole. We were playing 4 persons skins and wins were pretty hard to come by. But I had to hit a heck of a second shot. This green is hour glass shaped and a good 65 to 70 feet wide but only 20 feet deep, 25 maybe in the fat part of the hour glass. There is of course a ridge running right down the center making it almost two small greens. The sadist who put the pins in Sunday morning put the pin about 5 feet on in the center of the green right near a pot bunker. I pulled out my trusty 4 wood, (Titleist 980F 17*) and crushed it. It would have been way too much club and would have been on the 4th green with out the wind, but this thing climbed and climbed and then fell out of the sky and landed like a lawn dart about 10 to 12 feet right behind the pin. Absolutely beautiful shot!

No one else made the green and since they all had to putt before me, and no one had done better than bogey, I lagged up and got my tap in par and the win and was darned happy to get it.

My Shot of the Day yesterday was on 18 at Lost canyons Shadow course it's a 515 yard par 5 the tee shot is blind because the hole plays up hill for the first 250 yards then a sharp drop off down to the hole. I hit a low drive that landed my guess is around 230-240 out and ran down the hill to 108 yards to the hole. I spent 5 min looking for it at the top of the hill before spotting it at the bottom. Long story short I hit my 60 to 15 feet and a 3 putt par. Ouch!!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

It seems there is a theme that possibly could be another topic. Nice drives followed by either a pooooop second, or a poooooop three putt par. How do we get over these hiccups, turning what should or could be an easy birdie into par or worse.

Crazy game this is.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

My shot of the day came yesterday when playing 18.

It was a shorter par 4 only 288 yards so i chose my 3 wood. It was rather windy so I was just wanting to keep it in the fairway to have a good chance at going for the green on my second shot. Lined it up and i crushed it. The wind caught it just right and it ended up 20 yards from the green when i went to hit a good pitch to give myself a birdie opportunity which i didnt convert lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I played today, and for the second day in a row I got of the box horribly. For the past two times, today and Wednesday, instead of my normal 265 yards and 12 - 13 fairways, I have been averaging maybe 220 and hitting 2 or 3 fairways. However, irons and wedges and putter are awesome and have shot a 75 and 73.

On 6 I hit a 4 wood which missed the fairway, and hit the 4 wood again, and did not aim at the green because I was hitting into the wind over water. Had I hit at the flag, I would have had a short birdie putt but I aimed in a safe place. My partner were hitting three and not on the green. Anyway, I will cut to the chase because this is not the shot of the day, but I hit the flag with a chip on 1 and 3 and 4. I was 2 over par at this point and had not left a putt more than 4 inches from the hole. My short game was incredible but on 6 I pitched over the bunker, landed on the edge of the green, it spun almost to a stop before releasing and falling in the hole for a birdie and a win.

This continued on all day, but on the 16 came the shot of the day. I bogied 15, 3 putts, and still had some of my competitors in the game at this point. We get to 16 and another poor tee shot left me in the rough 168 yards from the green in the rough with water short and right and bunkers left of the green. The other guys were inside 100 yards. I hit an iron to 8 feet from the pin which made them all look at their shots differently. Bottom line I birdied the 16th and they had already written me off. My second shot from the coolies to 8 feet absolutely took the life out of them. On 17 and 18 I had two GiR's and two putt pars which also won the holes but by hitting those greens, before them, it really took the wind out of their sails.

Just finished a long weekend of golf. Played 150 holes and hit 4 buckets of balls, so there were a ton of great shots, and almost as many poor shots. My play got progressively worse all weekend but then yesterday afternoon was the Memorial Day Family Scramble. This is an annual event at our club and all member of the family are encouraged to play. Those families who do not have at least 4 members are filled out with singles. It only cost $10 to enter and it is designed to be a really fun time.

My wife came out and we were had two other singles put into "our family". There were four "Skills Test" shots. Closest to the pin and closest to a certain yardage marker. One each for men and women. I won one, came in second and my wife won both for the women. But the shot of the day (actually two of them) comes from one of the add on guys.

One guy was a 18 handicap and was a really nice chipper and putter. The other was on his sixth trip to the golf course. EVER. For the first 16 holes, when he hit the ball, it went farther right than it did down the fairway. Watching him putt generally did no good because it was no where close to the hole or the right speed. But he was a nice guy and we had a good time.

Then on the 16 hole he hit an absolutely perfect drive.

Then on 17 a par 3 this same guy hit a beautiful iron shot from 145 yards to 3 feet from the flag.

I hope he remembers that shot for while. They are not likely to forget because we ended up winning the scramble and left with $15 each more that we had when we got there. The wife and I left with $100 worth of cash and prizes. It was a great time and glad I got to witness what may have been his first green in regulation on a par 3.

I played 18 yesterday, and while the long game was pretty good, the short game was terrible.

My shot of the day, was actually when I hit an extra ball playing out of the rough. So the shot wasn't part of my round. But it was a big eureka moment for me.

On a par 4 of around 370 yards, I hit my 4i off the tee, and ended in the left rough. There was a whole bunch of trees between me and the green, so I had no line to the green. My playing partner gave me some unsolicited, but much appreciated advice on how to draw the ball around the trees.

I was about 160yards out going to a green with a right pin tucked behind a bunker.

Aimed my feet probably 30 yards to the right of the green, closed the clubface and swung easy for a shot that easily drew 30 yards and with the ball rolling left to right when it pitched, the ball ended up in the perfect spot about 10 feet below the hole. It actually drew around the bunker that was guarding the pin.

Now this shot wasn't with my ball in play, so it was a much easier shot than when the pressure is on. But I know now how to easily hit a big draw. On the very last hole of the day, a dogleg left par 5 my tee shot was a bit too far to the left side of the fairway, and I had some trees on my line. I again managed to play a very nice draw around the trees, that ended about 130yards away from the green. Managed to hit it in the drink after that though...

Anyway, that first shot has now given me the confidence that I can actually work the ball when required. And when I say required, it is when I have some obstacle in my way. I don't trust it enough to just shape any kind of shot. But for recovery type shots, I have added a new shot to my arsenal.

In my Clicgear B3 cart bag on my Clicgear 3.0 pushcart:

Rocketballz 10.5* stock stiff shaft

Adams Idea A3 Boxer 19*

TMag Rocketbladez 4i-6i

Mizuno MP53 7i-PW

Mizuno MP-R12 52*, MP-T11 56*, MP-T10 60*

Some old Odyssey putter (Don't laugh, it gets the ball in the hole nicely)

Bridgestone E6

Walking on air with my True Tours and Kentwool socks

No-one will ever have golf under his thumb. No round ever will be so good it could not have been better. Perhaps this is why golf is the greatest of games. You are not playing a human adversary; you are playing a game. You are playing old man par.

Bobby Jones

You swing your best when you have the fewest things to think about.

Bobby Jones

I played 18 yesterday, and while the long game was pretty good, the short game was terrible.

My shot of the day, was actually when I hit an extra ball playing out of the rough. So the shot wasn't part of my round. But it was a big eureka moment for me.

On a par 4 of around 370 yards, I hit my 4i off the tee, and ended in the left rough. There was a whole bunch of trees between me and the green, so I had no line to the green. My playing partner gave me some unsolicited, but much appreciated advice on how to draw the ball around the trees.

I was about 160yards out going to a green with a right pin tucked behind a bunker.

Aimed my feet probably 30 yards to the right of the green, closed the clubface and swung easy for a shot that easily drew 30 yards and with the ball rolling left to right when it pitched, the ball ended up in the perfect spot about 10 feet below the hole. It actually drew around the bunker that was guarding the pin.

Now this shot wasn't with my ball in play, so it was a much easier shot than when the pressure is on. But I know now how to easily hit a big draw. On the very last hole of the day, a dogleg left par 5 my tee shot was a bit too far to the left side of the fairway, and I had some trees on my line. I again managed to play a very nice draw around the trees, that ended about 130yards away from the green. Managed to hit it in the drink after that though...

Anyway, that first shot has now given me the confidence that I can actually work the ball when required. And when I say required, it is when I have some obstacle in my way. I don't trust it enough to just shape any kind of shot. But for recovery type shots, I have added a new shot to my arsenal.

Nice man it alway good to have a shot for when you get in to trouble!

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

This could have been my shot of the year so far, not just the shot of the day. #15 at Northfork is a big dogleg left par 4. It's very much a target golf hole off the tee, pulled out 3w and hit it into a tough fairway bunker to the right side of the fairway. Just made the hole longer than it needed to be and 2nd shot was about 195yds to a back pin into a 15mph or so wind. I also didn't have a direct line to the pin because the tree's on the right side were blocking me out.

I hit probably the best 4i of my life, started it out left of the green and let my natural fade and the wind push it back towards the hole. It cut around the tree perfectly and ended up about 12' below the hole. I missed the putt by an inch or two, but had a tap in par and won the hole. None of my playing partners thought I had a chance in hell of even hitting the green, let alone being closest to the pin when they were all in the fairway hitting in from around 150.

15 northfork.jpg

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

This could have been my shot of the year so far, not just the shot of the day. #15 at Northfork is a big dogleg left par 4. It's very much a target golf hole off the tee, pulled out 3w and hit it into a tough fairway bunker to the right side of the fairway. Just made the hole longer than it needed to be and 2nd shot was about 195yds to a back pin into a 15mph or so wind. I also didn't have a direct line to the pin because the tree's on the right side were blocking me out.

I hit probably the best 4i of my life, started it out left of the green and let my natural fade and the wind push it back towards the hole. It cut around the tree perfectly and ended up about 12' below the hole. I missed the putt by an inch or two, but had a tap in par and won the hole. None of my playing partners thought I had a chance in hell of even hitting the green, let alone being closest to the pin when they were all in the fairway hitting in from around 150.

15 northfork.jpg

Nice shot! Pretty sure I would have put it in the pool....

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

15 northfork.jpg

Nice! Love the visual aid I would have been in the dense wood to the left of the fairway! LOL

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

Archived