Which reviews do you apply for?

GolfSpy MPR

Factors in Applying  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which factors weigh most heavily on your choice to apply (or not apply) for equipment reviews? (Choose up to three.)

• I apply for everything!
    • An opening in my bag
    • I just like drivers/irons/putters, etc.
    • It's a club I wanted to test anyway
    • I feel I'm the target audience for this club
    • I feel especially qualified to test this kind of club
    • Other (comment below)

It's interesting to me, when a new review application goes up, to see not only who applies, but who doesn't. What goes into those choices for you?

I've personally stayed out of the last two applications because I think I'd be particularly useless at testing drivers. I hit driver very poorly. Most of my misses last year were low hooks. Every so often, an inexplicable banana-ball to the right makes an appearance. And (worst of all) the topline of my driver tells stories about shots so painful I'd rather not recount them here.

In addition, I don't live near a driving range. My local course has no range; the nearest one is an hour-drive away. I can hit irons in my garage, and I have a variety of gadgets (ES12 launch monitor, Zepp, even OptiShot) that can give me some feedback on what's happening. But my garage ceiling is just low enough that unless I really flatten my follow through, I'm going to hit it with a driver.

So that's why I bow out of driver reviews. What factors go into the choice for you? I've suggested some in the poll (only available for non-mobile users); feel free to add others in the comments.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I apply for reviews I think I could do well. My driver is old and kinda broken so I applied for one of the last two. Because I don't have a driver that I use I use a 3 wood and I think it would be interesting to see how much of a difference my shots are between driver and my 3 wood. I also will not apply for something I don't think I have time for.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I try to only apply for tests in which the product would be a good fit for me. I didn't apply for the Launcher HB test because I feel that that specific club is more forgiveness oriented. That is not what I am looking for, exactly. I want people to read reviews from testers that are well suited for the product. If, for example, a +2 handicap player reviewed a super game improvement iron set, that wouldn't give potential buyers a very good idea of how the clubs would work for themselves. But MGS does do a good job of selecting higher handicap reviewers for SGI equipment and vice versa.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

It has to be something that I am 

1) Curious about

2) Something that I think would work for my game - I am not going to sign up Mega game improvement irons that I'd never game after testing

3) Something that would motivate me to go to the range and play more, thus enabling me to provide a thorough review for the forum

I haven't applied for many of the recent review requests mostly because of limited time to provide a quality review.  I reviewed a putter and a hybrid a couple of years ago.  It's a lot of work!! People that have not reviewed equipment yet do not realize the effort that goes into a quality review.  I am happy to do it if I feel like I could provide a review that would benefit our MGS readership.  In future requests I will probably consider applying for equipment that I feel would enhance my game.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have been contemplating a new driver and the Ping 400 was at the top of my list so I put my name in for testing. After giving it some thought, I decided to remove my name from consideration. I feel with drivers people want to see hard numbers, data backing up the claims. I don't have a launch monitor so as I thought about how I would write a review, I'm not sure I could have given other Spies the review they wanted. Maybe I was wrong in that line of thinking as MGS already tests the clubs and gives lots of data, so maybe member reviews should be more about subjective features; looks, feel, and the like.

I'd like to apply for some forged iron testing as I have had a lot of experience with forged irons over the years and I feel I could give a good review on them. I think it's important to test would you'd actually be looking to buy, that way Spies with similar games to yours can get something from your review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

This is a good thread MPatrick. My approach is really two-fold here. First, it's looking for possible review opportunities that improve the tech in my bag/a spot where I'm not certain. That's why I've gone in for this current testing on the Launcher HB and the G400. All you have to do is look at my sig and realize that I'm a bit behind in recent driver advancements. Any kind of upgrade there would be a boon for me, so I'd love to see what more modern tech could do for yours truly.

"But Bergtaur", I hear you cry, "didn't I see you put in for the Cobra Connect Challenge?" You're damn right I did, for reason #2. I felt I offered an interesting take to that competition. Having someone straight out compare the One Length F7 to F8 would have been an interesting angle so I figured, why not throw in on that opportunity.

I mean, that's pretty much it. I tend to stay away from things I don't really need, like the Snell review. Sure, free balls are nice, but I've got 4 dozen fresh to put into play, plus another 4 dozen ordered by the end of the summer for next season of a golf ball I really like (Srixon Q Star Tour/Z Star). Plus, I'm not the type to go in on something just for the sake of going in. People who really want to test something or really need that chance are more important than me taking a potential spot away or worsening their already longshot odds.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

I apply for most I am interested in, but if the product is completely wrong for me I won't. That was the reason I did not apply for the Cobra Connect Challenge even though it seemed like an amazing opportunity. I wouldn't be a good candidate to do a review using game improvement irons like the F8 irons.

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

1) Curious about

2) Something that I think would work for my game - I am not going to sign up Mega game improvement irons that I'd never game after testing

3) Something that would motivate me to go to the range and play more, thus enabling me to provide a thorough review for the forum

+1 for this.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Having attempted reviews before, I can also vouch that a proper response requires a lot of time and effort. (and I still cannot say that I gave a fully proper response .. but hey i tried...) And I also stay out of selections where the club(s) would be totally wrong for me; eg. forged or "players" irons as I'm solidly a GI iron player. Or the Cobra Connect Challenge - I don't play well enough to want every stroke analyzed in public ;-)

I've also stayed out of driver selections as I currently don't even carry one! I tense up waaaay too much and try to kill it, so end up with either huge, very high slices or low, screaming hooks.

But - based on recent swing improvements and the nature of the Cleveland HB Launcher, I did enter my name in for that one. 

Who knows? That could be a driver that could work for me.

(and this could be the year that I finally start bombing it down the fairway!)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

1) Curious about

This. To add to it, it has to be something that would also motivate me to go home and write about/take pictures of. The more I care about something, the more fun it is, and the less it feels like a job or something that I'm obligated to do. You're signing up to put in some work, I don't think people realize that. It's not just free gear if you care about the forums.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

can't touch this... XX

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

This. To add to it, it has to be something that would also motivate me to go home and write about/take pictures of. The more I care about something, the more fun it is, and the less it feels like a job or something that I'm obligated to do. You're signing up to put in some work, I don't think people realize that. It's not just free gear if you care about the forums.

Can't agree more with this

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

1) Curious about

Well said jlukes.

It has to peak my interest... say Epic driver, EVNROLL putters and this year the F8 drivers... need to find out what's the fuzz about!

For example, I didn't apply for the PING driver test, because I don't get along with their products and I know I wouldn't bag it... might as well let someone else enjoy it!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I try to apply for anything that interests me. I feel that if I am interested in it then I can write an interesting review. Take the HB offer out there now for example. Being a single digit handicapper (just barely as of late) one may think I am great off the tee, but I am not. In fact it's the weakest part of my game. I have been curious for some time now if a more forgiving driver is a better fit for my game.

I probably won't apply for a putter review. I love my anser 2 so much I told my wife to bury me with it lol (true story). Because I am rolling this putter so we'll I am not interested in any other putters so my review would be very biased.

I really enjoy reading all the review because people take the time to make them interesting and human. Take Shankster's review of the ping i200s as an example.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Here's something I was thinking about on my drive to my night gig. I too believe that time plays a factor for me, but not in the amount of time it takes to give a proper assessment (which is undoubtedly important).

The way I'm thinking about time has to do with location. Being in CNY, my golf season is quite a bit shorter than someone on the west coast, the south, etc. I'm going to be looking at scoring and playing good golf to maximize my season, not trying new tech that might not be for me.

It's why I'm in these early season driver opportunities, but if something comes up in June like an M3/M4 testing, I'm gonna pass because I'll be knee deep in my season. I'll look at the bigger opportunities, like the Cleveland Fitting and Trip thing or the Tour Striker academy, because those are once in a lifetime opportunities. However, for a one off club test, it could be too volitle to my bag to make that switch midway through a shorter season.

Just another thing to think about.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Here's something I was thinking about on my drive to my night gig. I too believe that time plays a factor for me, but not in the amount of time it takes to give a proper assessment (which is undoubtedly important).

The way I'm thinking about time has to do with location. Being in CNY, my golf season is quite a bit shorter than someone on the west coast, the south, etc. I'm going to be looking at scoring and playing good golf to maximize my season, not trying new tech that might not be for me.

It's why I'm in these early season driver opportunities, but if something comes up in June like an M3/M4 testing, I'm gonna pass because I'll be knee deep in my season. I'll look at the bigger opportunities, like the Cleveland Fitting and Trip thing or the Tour Striker academy, because those are once in a lifetime opportunities. However, for a one off club test, it could be too volitle to my bag to make that switch midway through a shorter season.

Just another thing to think about.

And I suspect that goes both ways: if a particular test requires a season-long commitment, and the season in a particular place lasts roughly a week and a half (as it's looking like right now as the snow continues to fall here), I'd assume that factors in to who might be chosen. And that's fair.

Sent from my LG-G5 using the MyGolfSpy mobile app.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

I only apply if I feel I can actually contribute a quality review of. If there isn't a chance it will help improve my game and stay in the bag when I'm done the review, I don't apply.

Personally for me, all the quality "Tour" balls all feel the same so I refrain from throwing my name into those hats.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

I would opt for a driver review it's the best part of my game and I've tried different drivers and can differentiate. Wedges? You'd have to pry my fingers from my pings. Irons - maybe. Tour balls probably not - I don't or can't differentiate between premium golf balls.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

What I apply for is a combination of a few things.

Have I got the time?

Are the weather or course conditions ok to do a thorough review? (My MLA putter review was impacted by our greens being cored)

Is it something that I could see ending up in my bag? I was very interested in the Cobra One Length review, but after hitting the F7 One length, I decided it wasn't a great fit for me. 

Is it different enough from what I currently play?  Mostly pretty straight forward, as my bag is older than most (no where near Stu though.)

I don't apply for non adjustable drivers, as my old Nickent falls in this category, and for me I would like to compare and review the benefits of adjustability.

Wedges I don't apply for, I have a spare set ready to go, and I like to leave the opportunity to others who may benefit more.

I like to at least have a quick hit in store prior to applying to see if it is something that is suitable for me or that its something I can do justice to.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

When I first started here, I applied for everything. Mostly because my entire bag was “hand me downs”. Over the past year I was semi fitted for my driver, found a 3 wood and hybrids that worked very well for me. My putter and I are finally clicking, and just purchased new wedges over the winter that I love. So, none of that I've mentioned I would be interested in testing, because that stuff is working great for me and I don't want to mess that up. Only thing I would be interested/excited in testing would be a set of GI irons. I feel like I could really give a set of irons a real workover. Being five minutes from my course/range doesn't hurt. Plus that's the next part of my game I'm going to do a “makeover”.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

Usually I try to apply for things that I can't get at work. I typically have access to a lot of equipment that I can test or try out so I don't put my hat in the ring for all the tests.

I usually don't do the ball tests because I don't have the opportunity to play as much any more so I don't think that I would do a good enough job.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

For me it's got to be something that I think could push out a club that's already in my bag. Most of the time that is because it's a new technology that I wouldn't be able to access at the golf "stores" I have down here. I'm set at driver, but I am very interested to see what other opportunities pop up this year.

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I went with other.  JLukes hit the nail on the head;  it has to be something I am interested in playing, has to be a replacement for something that is a problem area in my bag, and something I am going to commit to doing the best review that I can.  

I am very particular about my putter configuration so it has to be the right putter for me to go that route.  I don't play new balls or hit fairway woods enough to think that I provide enough input to make reviewing those clubs worthwhile.  I love my hybrids and based my club champion fitting, they fit me very well.  Drivers aren't very interesting to me as the biggest consideration is generally distance related.  I struggle with wedges and along with Irons they are the keys to my ability to score so they are always on the list to be replaced.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I look for something in my wheelhouse.  I have to feel like I can explain the product so the masses can grasp it as the common man sees it.  I'm not one who goes for those reviews that have a ton of charts and stuff to be explained.  MGS and some of the tech wise reviewers here do a great job on providing that type info.  I'll put in for something where I can give 100 percent honest feedback.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I voted "other."  

I've seen similar answers from some others here - It needs to be something that I'm going to be passionate about.  Working in tech, the Cobra Connect challenge was a perfect fit for me.

Honestly MPR, I'd love to see you do a driver review.  A player that loves the driver, hits it well and hits it every chance they get is likely to stripe it with just about anything you put in their hands.  I'd rather see a review from someone that hasn't yet found the driver that works for them.

I also like reading critical reviews.  I like seeing who is a bad fit for a product as much as seeing who is a good fit.  Anyone who is willing to do the work and give a fair review to a product should feel welcome to throw their hat in the ring.  If MGS is looking for something in particular from their reviewers, I'm confident that they'll ask the right questions to get the data they need to make good decisions.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

For me it has to be something I think I can do a good review on and be the target for the product audience.

If it's something very similar to what I have in my bag already I'd love to see the comparison. For example, if there was a review opportunity for the Mizuno ST 180 I'd certainly throw my hat into the ring because for me, at least, it'd be very interesting to see how it performs vs my Mizuno JPX-EZ.

At the end of the day, if you're picked to do a review, please take the opportunity presented to you to do the best review you can do.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

This is an interesting topic. I agree with most every one else - it has to be an item of interest or a gap in my bag. But there are currently many gaps in my bag. Before I read all the replies here, I thought I would never sign up for a 3W or wedge test since I am very happy with what I have, but it would also be interesting to see a test against the clubs I hit well to see if they could be displaced.

I have a very analytical mind and do experiments for my job, so I enjoy trying to figure out the best way to test things and present data that is useful to the audience.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Test Currently In ProgressFit For Golf 2.0

One thing I love about golf forums the most is honest feedback from regular golfers, from good players through golfers like me who play a few weekend rounds a month.

So if I toss my name in, it has to be something that I think would help me play better golf, and something that I could accurately write about to help other golfers make informed decisions.

I'd never attempt blade iron reviews, or spinny pro-level ball reviews, things along those lines for instance.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I also like reading critical reviews. I like seeing who is a bad fit for a product as much as seeing who is a good fit. Anyone who is willing to do the work and give a fair review to a product should feel welcome to throw their hat in the ring. If MGS is looking for something in particular from their reviewers, I'm confident that they'll ask the right questions to get the data they need to make good decisions.

IMO, the product has to be something I will use (training aid, ball etc) or replace a current club(s) in my bag. I was super excited for the Ping Glide 2.0 wedge review last year, entered with an email showing I had a plan and a need, and was selected! Per the other replies, however, it's a LOT of work to review properly. It's not just free gear. If that's your only motivation, please pass.

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

Archived