TM Superdeep TP 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard

TEE CB3 15 Motore Tour

Adams Idea Pro Tour Issue 20 KBS Hybrid

Titleist AP2 4-PW KBS Stiff

Taylormade XFT 52, 58, 64 KBS Hi-Rev Stiff

Cameron Coronado Welded Neck T Stamp

Taylormade Red (If they still made em)

• 1 month later...

I was fortunate enough to get to hit the ATTAS T2 6s and 7s yesterday. I currently play the ATTAS 6s and found that my spin with the ATTAS T2 was much lower and produced a much better flight.

Unless I come into some money I won't be that "fortunate" for some time. Until then I'll continue to blame my poor shots on inferior equipment :)

Just got these today! Having them installed with NEW i-Mix tips to play at 45"

Also, having an ATTAS T2 7s installed in a Tour Issued Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 17* FW. Really looking forward to this build. I'll keep you posted with the preview when I get the builds complete.

Thought you guys would like to see the pics. Cink was testing these at Firestone and was gaining 14 yards in the driver. Wonder if it'll be in play at the PGA tomorrow.

T2-1.jpg

T2-2.jpg

T2-3.jpg

T2-4.jpg

T2-5.jpg

Posted Image

I would like to know what percentage of people can actually afford to buy these $300+ shafts regularly.

What does it matter? Flat out, it isn't worth buying. There's NO shaft that will magically fix your game. There's also a good chance there's a shaft at a lower price-point with roughly the same specs (same frequency, same torque rating, same raw weight, etc)... spending an extra $200-$300 won't make it better than the one with the SAME SPECS.

I don't always mean to sound like a drag, but come on... I have a driver head that I paid $60 for, the shaft was $17, the grip cost me $3.20 (and yes, all brand new) and I drive it 260-270 yards (my swing speed averages 104 mph, with 113 my max). Will this $350 shaft magically make me drive the ball farther than Bubba Watson? No.

They price this stuff as high as they do because they know people will go running to it. Some people have to have the "new and shiny". Look at Taylormade- the first r9 had the FCT and MWT, but it was 430cc. The next year, the r9 460 came out, sans the MWT. Now they have the SuperTri and SuperDeep (which look hauntingly the same) that's not only 460cc, but has both the MWT AND FCT!!! They couldn't have done that with the original r9?!

Look at the last two US Open winners: Lucas Glover won with an "outdated" Nike SuMo 5000 and Louis Oosthuizen won with an "outdated" Callaway FT-3. These guys are paid to play their equipment, yet they chose older models over the "new and shiny". It's seemed to work out OK for them- their two combined major trophies are more than mine... yes, I have 0 trophies :)

I'm not completely crazy (I think, though don't ask my wife...); everyone has the right to game whatever they please. I just don't see why OEMs need to gouge the hell out of all the hard-working golfers who want something that works for them that they can be proud of. No coersion ("Such and such Tour pro uses this... shouldn't you?") and no lies ("Your game sucks. We both know it does. With this magic wand, you will automatically hit it 300+ yards and challenge Tiger Woods for #1 golfer in the world").

In my opinion, it just strikes me as wrong, that a game who's core is built around integrity seems to have at least some of its "arms" lacking that same quality.

What does it matter? Flat out, it isn't worth buying. There's NO shaft that will magically fix your game. There's also a good chance there's a shaft at a lower price-point with roughly the same specs (same frequency, same torque rating, same raw weight, etc)... spending an extra $200-$300 won't make it better than the one with the SAME SPECS.

I don't always mean to sound like a drag, but come on... I have a driver head that I paid $60 for, the shaft was $17, the grip cost me $3.20 (and yes, all brand new) and I drive it 260-270 yards (my swing speed averages 104 mph, with 113 my max). Will this $350 shaft magically make me drive the ball farther than Bubba Watson? No.

They price this stuff as high as they do because they know people will go running to it. Some people have to have the "new and shiny". Look at Taylormade- the first r9 had the FCT and MWT, but it was 430cc. The next year, the r9 460 came out, sans the MWT. Now they have the SuperTri and SuperDeep (which look hauntingly the same) that's not only 460cc, but has both the MWT AND FCT!!! They couldn't have done that with the original r9?!

Look at the last two US Open winners: Lucas Glover won with an "outdated" Nike SuMo 5000 and Louis Oosthuizen won with an "outdated" Callaway FT-3. These guys are paid to play their equipment, yet they chose older models over the "new and shiny". It's seemed to work out OK for them- their two combined major trophies are more than mine... yes, I have 0 trophies ;)

I'm not completely crazy (I think, though don't ask my wife...); everyone has the right to game whatever they please. I just don't see why OEMs need to gouge the hell out of all the hard-working golfers who want something that works for them that they can be proud of. No coersion ("Such and such Tour pro uses this... shouldn't you?") and no lies ("Your game sucks. We both know it does. With this magic wand, you will automatically hit it 300+ yards and challenge Tiger Woods for #1 golfer in the world").

In my opinion, it just strikes me as wrong, that a game who's core is built around integrity seems to have at least some of its "arms" lacking that same quality.

There are usually incremental gains from one model to the next. What I do is I skip one or two models so that I can get that "gain". It is not a distance gain all the time. Sometimes better launch, sometimes better trajectory.

If you don't want to spend $300 another option is to wait 2 years for the close-out pricing. Shafts like the Pershing are great shafts circa 2008 and can be had for a song now.

If I didn't believe in technology I would still be using a 975D with a TrueTemper EI70.

If you don't want to spend $300 another option is to wait 2 years for the close-out pricing. Shafts like the Pershing are great shafts circa 2008 and can be had for a song now.

What song? Sorry, I just can't help myself...

I do get what you're saying, and it makes sense. But what I'm saying is, I spent $17 (yes, $17) on a True Ace Blue Crush shaft- and I can drive the ball 260+ yards. I think that most people (myself for sure) would be better drivers of the ball with better fitness- not some overpriced "magic wand".

If you have a $50 shaft and a $300 shaft and each has a raw weight of 67g, a 270 cpm frequency and 3* of torque, they'll play the same. That's the simple nuts-and-bolts of it. I guess there'd be one caveat: if spending $300 gives you more confidence, you will definitely hit that one better than the $50 shaft. Same with putting: if buying a Cameron makes you feel more confident, it'll work better for you than a $70 Karsten-series Anser.

Don't get me wrong- people can buy what they want, it's not my place to say "you're wrong" for buying something like the Attas, I just think it's kind of like people being "brandwashed"... There's more than just the "it" brands out there, and it's all-inclusive. Not just the heads, but the shafts and grips, as well.

What song? Sorry, I just can't help myself...

I do get what you're saying, and it makes sense. But what I'm saying is, I spent $17 (yes, $17) on a True Ace Blue Crush shaft- and I can drive the ball 260+ yards. I think that most people (myself for sure) would be better drivers of the ball with better fitness- not some overpriced "magic wand".

If you have a $50 shaft and a $300 shaft and each has a raw weight of 67g, a 270 cpm frequency and 3* of torque, they'll play the same. That's the simple nuts-and-bolts of it. I guess there'd be one caveat: if spending $300 gives you more confidence, you will definitely hit that one better than the $50 shaft. Same with putting: if buying a Cameron makes you feel more confident, it'll work better for you than a $70 Karsten-series Anser.

Don't get me wrong- people can buy what they want, it's not my place to say "you're wrong" for buying something like the Attas, I just think it's kind of like people being "brandwashed"... There's more than just the "it" brands out there, and it's all-inclusive. Not just the heads, but the shafts and grips, as well.

I understand your point. But the thing is, it does matter. Not the fact that you going to gain distances or straighter ball flights. First, having a more expensive shaft will prevent it from ovaling and/or getting softer after a while. You have better fibers in a more expensive shaft than a 17$ one. All the shafts doesnt feel the same either, how would you explain two shafts with the same specs not flying the same. depending of your swing, you wont look for the same pattern as i do. Some shafts will have less spin than others, some will flight higher, some will feel more active. It is maybe not worth it for you, but it is for a lot of good players. Same as the new drivers, they dont go further for everyone, companies try to help bad player from losing a lot of distances with off-center shots while they try improving players' clubs. Would you still play wood drivers when you can have the same distance with new clubs but a lot more forgiving ??!

Adams 9032LS 9.5 / ust axivcore tour green 76x

Titleist 906f4 13.5 / ust V2 90s

Adams 9031 20 / project X 6.0

4-pw Nike Double cavity Forged / KBS chrome

50,54,58 Titleist Vokey Spin milled chrome

Ping Zing

Look at the last two US Open winners: Lucas Glover won with an "outdated" Nike SuMo 5000 and Louis Oosthuizen won with an "outdated" Callaway FT-3. These guys are paid to play their equipment, yet they chose older models over the "new and shiny". It's seemed to work out OK for them- their two combined major trophies are more than mine... yes, I have 0 trophies ;)

Oh and by the way .... Iam not a fan of taylor made but the SUPERDEEP is a LOT different than the regular drivers they use to do !!! And the reasons why those players are still playing older clubs is not just because they dont want the new shinny s***, its because most of their clubs are Custom made for their needs. Why do you think they have special putters by cameron or other stuff like that. They are the elite and they are not playing the exact same clubs as we do straight up from the racks. if they feel good with their clubs, they wont change them yet, at least till they are done tho. you can still play wedges or irons with small or no grooves on them. thats why you see older putters, woods or drivers. when a company make a good mold for a club (like tiger's 3 wood) a lot of pros are sticking of those clubs because its made for them, lower spin, high GC, more penetring flight. so, again, it DOES matter. Im not telling that the companies are not pushing a little too far. But so do you !

Adams 9032LS 9.5 / ust axivcore tour green 76x

Titleist 906f4 13.5 / ust V2 90s

Adams 9031 20 / project X 6.0

4-pw Nike Double cavity Forged / KBS chrome

50,54,58 Titleist Vokey Spin milled chrome

Ping Zing

Equipment DOES matter. Equipment fitting your personal preferences, physiological needs, etc, does make a huge difference in your game. I was only able to recognize this some time ago when I changed my driver's shaft. I used to be the worst driver ever. I changed my driver three times, took lessons and it just didn't seem to work. I got an UST V2 for cheap once, and thought "well, why not try it?". I changed the shaft in the driver, and suddenly, my shots where straight and long!!!! I am the worst believer ever, so I decided to try the three driver heads I had, bought two more V2 shafts and compare them with the old shaft and the new one. The difference with each of them is gargantual, just for a different shaft.

Yes I agree buying a $300 shaft is not going to fix your mistakes if the specs don't suit your game. . I would surely hit a $300 Whiteboard as good as a Fujikura Fit-On Gold (worst shaft ever), but I hit a $20 V2 shaft better than those two. Some find their perfect shaft in a $20 a piece old shaft, some find it in a new $1000 Matrix BlackTie. If you can afford to use something which suits you, why not do it?

Same thing about feel with putters. I use to bag PING Karsten series all my golf life (B60, Anser 2). I found absolutely stupid to buy a $300 putter when you could get the same performance from a $90 one. Once I went to the putter range and there was an Odyssey Demo Day there. I thought it was fun to try, but I would have never bought such expensive putters. I got "fitted" for a Tour Black Series Putter. I thought : "yeah, the guy just wants to fit me with the most expensive putter they have". I rolled a couple of balls and it felt just great! I was a little shocked, but again, thought it was just a psychological thing, so I went to the car, took my own putter out and started comparing them hole by hole. Yes, I made about the same strokes with one or the other, which indicates it just wouldn't lower my score, but the Tour Black felt so damn better! After trying it three or four more times in different scenarios, I ended buying a used one for about $100 and wouldn't go back to my old B60!!!!

LEsson is, you can't say things don' work unless you've tried them all. If you try an Attas, every Diamana, top Aldilas, and after trying 20 shafts you realize you hit it better with your $7 shaft, GREAT FOR YOU!!!!!!!! You just saved yourself $300!!!!

I never said equipment doesn't matter- I said being "brandwashed" does, but with a catch: if something, whether it's a club head name, shaft brand, or whatever- if that gives you more confidence, you have to play it. Confidence in what you have is paramount (assuming a proper fit is acheived).

There was a time when not many would touch a Tour Edge club. Now, they're a top name- the Exotics line gets rave reviews. Did they make crap before that? I'd say no: my first "major" set of irons was their Progressive J/Max line, and I did like them a lot. Same with Cleveland- they started out as a clone brand and developed themselves into a major player in a lot of player's bags.

The point I was trying to make (and failed to, I believe) was that there is more to life (well, golf) out there than what is being presented to us. Look at companies like Wishon, Maltby and Snake Eyes that while aren't "major" players, they sell quality stuff... for less than the Callaway's, Nike's, etc. So long as you're properly fit to your gear, whichever route you go, you'll see some form of improvement. If not, you weren't properly fitted.

Based upon my fitting needs, I could've chosen a ProLaunch Platinum (which I already had in my SuMo 5000), an Aldila NVS, a Project X and the True Ace. They'd all behave similar (not exactly mind you, just similar) to each other. I chose the True Ace because I had an NVS in my old hybrid (Adams A3), and the Platinum, and wasn't going to spend $300 for the Project X. I fugured "why not"?

Remember- I never said anyone was wrong for feeling the way they feel (maybe I didn't put it out there correctly...). If you want a $300 head and $300 shaft, more power to you. Maybe I'm not a "real" golfer for going my route, but I don't care. My game has actually improved with my off-the-beaten-path gear and I'm happy. That's all I've ever asked for.

I understand your point. But the thing is, it does matter. Not the fact that you going to gain distances or straighter ball flights. First, having a more expensive shaft will prevent it from ovaling and/or getting softer after a while. You have better fibers in a more expensive shaft than a 17$ one. All the shafts doesnt feel the same either, how would you explain two shafts with the same specs not flying the same. depending of your swing, you wont look for the same pattern as i do. Some shafts will have less spin than others, some will flight higher, some will feel more active. It is maybe not worth it for you, but it is for a lot of good players. Same as the new drivers, they dont go further for everyone, companies try to help bad player from losing a lot of distances with off-center shots while they try improving players' clubs. Would you still play wood drivers when you can have the same distance with new clubs but a lot more forgiving ??!

Read Tom Wishon's "12 Equipment Myths That Can Wreck Your Game". Wishon isn't a "radical"- he's worked with PGA pros, "major" OEMs and has designed his own line of clubs (and he's drummed for The Steve Miller Band- how cool is that?). Same with Ralph Maltby (minus the drumming). They make technologically advanced, quality equipment. What they don't do is major marketing, or put their names on every ad space they can find. Is that right or wrong? Not for me to decide... it's like preferring Miller Lite to Budweiser to Arcadia (a local brand in my area). Just because Budweiser and Miller advertise everywhere and Arcadia doesn't doesn't make either of the three brands inferior/better. Everyone has a preference and the right to choose which is their favorite. Which is what I've been trying to say (I hope, anyway) all along... if you want to spend $X on Budweiser, Joe spends $Y on Miller and I spend $Z on Arcadia, no one is right or wrong. We have our tastes, and that is that.

According to Wishon, two shafts with the same specs WILL perform exactly the same- if they don't, there's something different: either with the bend profile or balance point; one could be more tip-stiff (or butt-stiff) than the other. Point is, they wouldn't be the same. However, two shafts that ARE exactly the same will perform the same, regardless of cost.

Speaking of major OEMs, there was a time when Tommy Armour, Ram, Ben Hogan and Lynx were "it" brands. Where are they now? Either gone completely, absorbed by another brand, or relegated to the bargain bin. The same can happen to the Callaways, Nikes, Titleists, etc. Look at Callaway- what's going to happen to them if the rumors (wheich seem more and more like a reality) are true? Same with Titleist- if/when Fortune Brands sells them, who'd buy them? Can they stand on their own? What if they can't? What if Dick's or Golfsmith buys them- would people still look at a Titleist the same, or treat them like Lynx? It'd definitely be a shame for such a venerable brand, but stuff like this happens: people LOVED Hogan clubs, but now the best place to find them is eBay.

Rifle shafts are one of the "it" brands, but did you know they used to be called Brunswick? Now they're owned by True Temper- their biggest rival. Fortunately, it seems that TT is treating them farily and not letting either brand fall to the wayside... for now. Apollo was another "it" brand (Vijay Singh used to game the "Hump" line of shafts), but haven't had the Tour success they used to. They still make quality shafts, in my opinion.

Who would've thought to game an Adams club a 8 or so years ago? Since starting to gain ground with hybrids, they're picking up steam with drivers and irons. Nike was a non-factor until Tiger signed with them- they didn't develop any of their original ideas, they bought them when they purchased other companies.

To your point of woods v. metal, if I had a swing that was that repeatable, I would game a persimmon, because I think they're beautiful instruments. I'm not that naive, though, and I know I need the extra help. I never said technology was a bad thing (I'm not THAT old LOL). But if you have a have a 400cc driver with the center of gravity (CG) located low in the head and a 460cc model with the CG in the same area (we're assuming specs like loft, face angle, etc. are the same), any shot struck on the "sweet spot" will behave the same way. The 460 model will be absolutely more helpful than the 400cc model for any shots struck away from the "sweet spot".

I think I'm veering off-track, so just let me say this: Whether you want to game an Attas or Apollo shaft, a Nike or Maltby head, or whatever, that's fine- you aren't any more or less of a golfer than I am. If you want to drink Budweiser or something from your local brewery- that's fine as well. Whether you prefer Maxwell House coffee of Eight O'Clock coffee, the same rules apply. It doesn't make you any better/worse than anyone else.

Archived