What's the most underrated equipment in your bag? Is there something in your bag that maybe hasn't gotten a ton of love in the golf community either with players or reviews? For me I am finding that Adams made some really great equipment especially right before the Taylormade purchase of them. I bought a brand new Adams XTD Ti 3 wood and 5 wood for $30 bucks each...got an Adam Pro Red hybrid for $40 and have the XTD Ti Driver in route to the house purchased for $50. I am really amazed at these items...great sound and plenty hot...great stock Matrix shafts as well....what are your thoughts?

Cobra. We did this conversation a while back. Sometimes the search doesn't bring up the best results. But anyways I think cobra has he most overlooked Equipment right now.

Most Underrated Equipment?

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/19651-Most-Underrated-Equipment%3F

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I'd have to say Mizuno. They have some great equipment, and their irons are second to none. You never hear anything about them, though.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Love the look of Mizuno irons. The jpx are a little too bulky for me, but I'd love some mp-25s.

Happy with my vapor pro combos though, pretty similar in looks with the mp-25, wonder how the feel compares

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

I would have to say Wilson considering their past history. I know they fell from sight for a while but I believe they are on the comeback trail. The golf business is funny today. Seems that most folks I see play the most advertised clubs or hyped up clubs what ever the latest greatest thing of the month. I guess that is marketing 101 today. I was never die hard brand loyal even though I am a Macgregor collector. I can remember playing irons and wedges until they wore out. I have worn out 3 sets of irons in my lifetime all of them different brands. I played the Mac VIPs on and off since 90 and they are worn slap out. Now I do have a set of pristine ones just like them but have not switched the shafts out yet because I discovered the 2013 X forged Callys I am front line gaming now. One of they guys at my club remarked "they must be special made Stuey switch from Mac blades" yep they are. I still play old Mac blades in my vintage golf though a set of 53 Mac Toski irons. Look at my signature I play a very mixed bag compared to most MGSers. I play what works for me do not care about the hype or age or brand

• Like 6

Love the look of Mizuno irons. The jpx are a little too bulky for me, but I'd love some mp-25s.

Happy with my vapor pro combos though, pretty similar in looks with the mp-25, wonder how the feel compares

Sent from my Pixel XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

One of the sets I stated I wore out in my previous post was a set of MP-33s of course I was playing comp and playing or practicing every day. Those were the best feeling Mizunos to me not too buttery and not too hard. After that I went back to my Mac VIPs

• Like 2

Agree with Wilson Staff. I have a couple of the D200 hybrids and they are terrific. I had the 3h at the range yesterday and it was almost tough not to get it out straight and far. Didn't feel as nice at impact as my Apex but results trump feel every time.

I've had a couple sets of their irons in the past as well and have nothing but good things to say.

I view WS and Tour Edge in the same light; very solid equipment that some how doesn't make it in the average guy's bag.

• Like 1

Mizuno?

I'm sorry but I can't buy into them as under rated. Say Mizuno and people think "oozes quality" - see Mizuno in a guy's bag and people think "player".

We've had this discussion a number of times - I like Wilson now - used to be Adams for sure.

• Like 5

Mizuno?

I'm sorry but I can't buy into them as under rated. Say Mizuno and people think "oozes quality" - see Mizuno in a guy's bag and people think "player".

We've had this discussion a number of times - I like Wilson now - used to be Adams for sure.

If people think that about me, they'd be sorely mistaken...lol. 

• Like 3

I have seen the topic before but I mean a club in your bag that you play

• Like 1

I have seen the topic before but I mean a club in your bag that you play

My $35 Taylormade Jetspeed 2 Hybrid. They should have named them Taylormade Rocket... oh wait...

Most consistent "long" club I have.

- Alan

• Like 2

I'd have to say Mizuno. They have some great equipment, and their irons are second to none. You never hear anything about them, though.

How many Porsche commercials do you see vs Ford commercials? Quality doesn't need to advertise.

I read an article about Pabts Blue Ribbon vs Budweiser a while back. The amount of money Bud spends on advertising could run PBR for eternity. And the money that PBR doesn't spend on advertising is spent on actually making the beer.

And they are both equally disgusting.

- Alan

• Like 6

Mizuno?

I only know one guy who plays Mizuno and he is pretty bad...

• Like 1

If we could get back to the original question of what's in YOUR bag that's underrated. For me it's my Adams Speedline 3wood. Doesn't get near the credit she deserves. Paid $15 for it best club in my bag (that I'm hitting right now)

• Like 2

... Cleveland 588TT iron's without a doubt. Best combination of a players iron and forgiveness I have ever played. I love my Fly Z+ but keep coming back to the TT's. The topline is a little thicker than most players irons but they are a nice head size between mid-standard and the performance is second to none. The soles look wide but they are beveled like the Srixon Z Series, just rolled off instead of a V. The TT stands for TourTrajectory and I find that a good description as they are easy to control hitting high or low with equal aplomb. But oh my are the mid/longer irons forgiving and yet the short irons are surprisingly accurate. These just went under the radar and I am always looking for another new or pristine set as a back up. 

... Edit: I should also mention my Adams LS hybrid with (gasp!) the stock Kuro Kage Black hybrid shaft. It is by far the oldest club in my bag besides my putter. I don;t like the white color or the slot on top that fills with grass, but I just haven't found anything that performs as well. 

• Like 3

Oh, in your bag. I guess I misread that part. Probably my Cobra Fly-Z hybrid. I usually give credit to my clubs that deserve it. The ones that don't go in to timeout...

• Like 3

I've got an Adams tight lies2 3 wood, 25$ brand new at golf town! I would recommend this club to everyone. I find it unique as the head is very thin compared to most woods on the market and I find it easy to hit off the deck. That sound and feel is amazing and it's a very consistent club I have in my bag and I'm sad that Adams won't be making any new models in the future :(

• Like 3

I've got an Adams tight lies2 3 wood, 25$ brand new at golf town! I would recommend this club to everyone. I find it unique as the head is very thin compared to most woods on the market and I find it easy to hit off the deck. That sound and feel is amazing and it's a very consistent club I have in my bag and I'm sad that Adams won't be making any new models in the future :(

Adams does make some of the best HYbrids time after time. A real tool I (try not to) play with can bomb it. 300 when he manages it but literally couldnt pull a Fairway Wood out of his bag. Got tired of his wining for the last 2 years and sent him a link from Hurricane Golf for a $39 Adams Hybrid 18*/2 wood with a 72gr Grafalloy.

Much bs followed but he did buy it. 240+- straight as a board.

Was willing to beat him with his lack of prowess from 225 out but the silence about his sorry wood play is worth the yardage he has finally found.

Wilson will be one to look into as well.

• Like 1

Adams does make some of the best HYbrids time after time. A real tool I (try not to) play with can bomb it. 300 when he manages it but literally couldnt pull a Fairway Wood out of his bag. Got tired of his wining for the last 2 years and sent him a link from Hurricane Golf for a $39 Adams Hybrid 18*/2 wood with a 72gr Grafalloy.

Much bs followed but he did buy it. 240+- straight as a board.

Was willing to beat him with his lack of prowess from 225 out but the silence about his sorry wood play is worth the yardage he has finally found.

Wilson will be one to look into as well.

Haha very difficult decision you made

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Harry11

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Ever since Evnroll putters came on the scene a couple years ago as the surprising winner of the My Golf Spy Most Wanted putter, it's been on a roll ever since.   The latest model it's ER2B has a high standard to live up to, and we have selected four members to test, review and report their results back to the forum.  That begins this week as you can check in with them over the next four to six weeks to see how they are performing.

The Testers are
      @ncwoz                  Stage 1                          Stage 2
      @Wedgie                Stage 1                          Stage 2
      @Tsmithjr9             Stage 1                          Stage 2
      @KurtActual          Stage 1                           Stage 2

• By ChasingScratch
      Perfect Practice Putting Mat Review
      By Chasing Scratch

If you’re like me, you need to practice your putting……. A lot…… I mean take the time you want to practice each month, multiply it by 10, then add 10 hours to that.  Let’s face it, of all the skills in the game of golf, putting is something many of us amateurs tend to practice the least.  When was the last time you heard people at the course talking ‘bout “Man I spent 5 hours last week on my putting, and I just can’t get enough!”  The putter is hit more times in a single round than any other club yet we have this avoidance affair with it.  We’ll smash driver for hours on the range, look at the watch, and give 5 minutes to putting.

I’m guilty of this myself.  As someone who knows I need to practice my putting more, it’s just not that much fun.  It’s also not very convenient for me.  The closest course to my home is 25 minutes away.  50 minutes in the car is a large commitment for me just to practice putting several days per week.

So given my goal of scratch golf, my knowledge of statistics, and my passion for improvement, I started looking into “at home” putting training aids.  I searched around on the internet for everything from putting mats, auto-return systems, and DIY putting platform building guides. 

I liked a few of the products just fine and was narrowing down my options to a few of the mats.  I know several had great reviews and even skill-type-games you can play, but I just couldn’t get over not having the ball fall into a cup.  There is something satisfying about seeing the golf ball fall into a hole and disappear.  So I started to plan out a putting platform build.  I had the specs and was all set to go to the store and spend a few days knocking it out.

Literally the night before I was going to go to the store, I stumbled upon a page on Instagram called “Perfect Practice Golf” and saw their putting mat.  They had a giveaway contest going on for the PGA Championship so I threw my name in for the drawing.  I decided to wait and see if I got lucky before I built my platform and (wouldn’t you know it!)  I won!  So I decided to hold off on building a platform to see if this thing was any good.

Their Instagram page showed quite a few PGA Tour players (e.g., Tony Finau, Marc Leishman, Smiley Kaufman, see their quotes below) who were using their putting mat so I figured it would be good enough for me.

Quality and features

When it arrived, the first thing I noticed was that the actual putting carpet was top notch.  I’m sure you’ve all seen the putting mats you can buy at the big box stores and the carpet they come with looks like something that is made out of cardboard.  You have to lay encyclopedias on it and even then you may have some creases, it never lays flat, etc.  Straight out of the box, this thing unrolled and lay flat.  You could literally start putting on it right out the box!

The actual material feels a lot like velour (that's the best way I can describe it although it is not a perfect description).  They call it “crystal velvet,” but all I know is it is a very pure rolling surface.  A plus is that you can vacuum it as well.

On that mat, you’ll find printed markings for every foot and smaller marks for every inch (it looks like a giant ruler).  You also have two alignment lines (one for the regular sized hole and one for the mini-hole).  As a golfer who struggles with “seeing the line” over my putts, the alignment line really helps.

The mat also features an incline up to the holes, to ensure a confident stroke and to assist with the gravity-fed ball return system.  On their first version, the base and return ramp were made out of plastic.  It had a good weight to it and I had no complaints.  On their newest model, they made some upgrades to the base material.  Namely, it is now made of wood instead of plastic, there is an insert-able backstop to catch putts hit with too much gusto, extra space behind the holes to catch balls, and the return ramp has magnets to connect the pieces.  Each of these upgrade adds much more “high quality” feel to the overall product.  They did not change the crystal velvet putting surface, and in my opinion they didn’t need to.  It’s great as is.

With the original version, my kids had a tendency to hit the ball past the holes and off the mat.  They were more than happy to chase the balls down the hallway, but it was a bit of an oversight in the original design.  This has been fixed in the newest version.  It would take a freaking missile launch of a putt to blast it off the mat now.

For the price, I’d be hard pressed to find a better putting training aid.  At just over $100, you get a high quality putting surface and the mental boost of seeing a ball fall into a hole over and over and over again.  You can roll it up, stick it under your bed, and putt every single day, rain or shine, all from the comfort of your home. 

This thing rolls fast and true.  They claim it rolls up to a 14 on the stimp if you put it on hard floors (think wood floors or concrete), and you can slow it down by putting it on carpet.  When I put it on my bedroom carpet, it is noticeably slower than when it is on the tile floor.

If I were to have a critique, it would be that I wish the mat were just about a 1/4 inch thicker.  I have tile floor in my home and carpet in the bed rooms.  When putting on the tile floor, you can get a bump here or there (due to the gaps in the tiles and grout).  I fixed this by using some runner rugs we have in the hallway and I typically just put them under the mat.  I can’t be too critical, because I know that adding more thickness would increase the price, add to shipping, etc.  Overall it is a solid putting mat well worth the price.  I have hit hundreds of putts on the original model and the newest model and have yet to notice any depressions or grooves in the surface.  I know this is a concern for any putting mat, but so far so good on this one.

Performance on the course

For the first few weeks that I had the original Perfect Practice Golf putting mat, I couldn’t get enough of it.  My kids and I would spend hours throughout the day hitting 4 footers, 6 footers, 8 footers, etc.  We even came up with a trick shot and had a blast doing it (see video below)! 

[/url]  
      My son and I came up with other putting games to play on it to keep it fun.  My on the course putting showed definite improvement as well!  I rarely had less than 35 putts per round before and quite often a few three putts.  When I was putting consistently with the Perfect Practice mat, I didn’t have a round over 32 putts.  Those pesky 6-7 foot par save putts were falling with much more consistency.  I felt like I had a real chance to hole everything inside of 10 feet.  Seeing the ball fall into a hole over and over and over while practicing at home is such a mental boost for my game.
      I haven’t played golf in over a month, much less practiced on my mat (life just got very very crazy in the Chasing Scratch home).  I want to make myself a personal goal of hitting 50 putts per day to see how good I can get.  Since I have a solid mat in the comfort of my own home, there really is no excuse.  If I want to get to scratch golf, I need to get those putts per round down to 30 or under consistently.  The only way to get better is to practice.  I’ve got a great practice aid to do it, now I just need the determination and dedication.
      At $130, I don’t think you can go wrong with this training aid.  The upgrades are a nice improvement over the original version, and the putting surface is top notch.  Take a look at their webpage (click here) and consider the Perfect Practice Golf mat if you are in the market for a putting setup for the home, office, or wherever really.  They sell out quickly when they get their shipments in, so they are on pre-order right now.
      I hope you enjoyed this review!  Now I’m off to go work on my putting!

[/url](Note:  The images used in this review are used with permission from the company's website)
      [/url][/url]  
    • By Davis Moes
      I'm getting rid of my seemore pure center blade putter I've owned for 2 years (purchased summer 2017). I am asking $120 OBO including shipping. If I don't have a lot of interest it will go on eBay. 
      Putter is in near mint condition. See actual photos of the putter below. Has additional weighting in the head as well as counterbalancing in the grip, length is 34.5".
      Paypal is my preferred payment method.
      Directly below is a list of the complete specs on the putter when I ordered it. Thanks for looking!

• By the_hammer
      I have been using my new MG2 for a few weeks now and really like the feel. I have 2 other Taylormade wedges that I have used for the last few years and this one just feels different. It also passes the eye test as I seem to be getting more spin on the ball than I have before with the other wedges. Would like to know others thoughts on them. Thanks. 
    • By FromRightToLeft
      Hello all! Thought I would chime in on this putter since I've owned it for a few months now.

I had been using a Ping Ketch mallet putter since the beginning of the year. (I am relearning the game left handed this year due to a back issue and decided to do so with the putter as well) I had been putting fairly well with it but found it a bit hard to line up and I didn't love it, like all putters I have owned. I saw the testing and reviews on this putter and decided to buy it online sight unseen.

I tend to like a longer putter and got it in the 35” model.

(Aside: A member of the forum let me know that it could be bought here in Canada on golfworks.ca as we don't have Dick's here, so thank you whoever you were. It was $130 Canadian. It arrived super well packed, maybe better than any other golf club I've ever gotten in the mail. There were two small scratches on the putter shaft. I decided to email golfworks and see what they had to say about it. The service was incredible and the best I've ever had online. They got back to me within an hour with an apology and said they would ship out a new one that day and they had a shipping label for me to return mine with. For me the scratch's weren't a big deal and I offered them to refund me $15-20 and I'd keep it. They did me even better and gave me their cost on it and refunded the difference! Unreal service. I will buy all my grips etc. from them going forward.)

Ok, back to the review!

The putter fit my eye immediately. I have only ever had one other golf club where I just knew I was going to hit it well and that I'd love it at first sight. It was a Cobra knockoff driver I won in the 90's in a closest to the pin contest. This putter was the same way. I just knew I was going to love it and play well with it. I have played ten rounds so far and only six three putts. My first round with it I swooped and won three skins with a twenty foot putt and did it again later in the round with a thirty five foot putt for three more skins (The guys weren't mocking me anymore for having a Tommy Armour putter after that haha)! I do not normally sink many long putts. My longest previous this year wouldn't have been any longer than fifteen feet.

It is really well balanced, the pistol grip is actually very comfortable (I may replace it with something different down the road, we'll see) and I think it looks good. The head cover I can't say the same for, it's pretty ugly and doesn't fit on that well. That's a fairly minor issue, especially considering the price and performance of this putter. 
      On long putts I can easily line it up and it's no different on the short ones. The feel is just right for me, not too firm and not too soft, so they got the insert just right.  I just have so much confidence with this thing that I can't say enough about it. I would have paid five times as much if I knew it was going to make this kind of difference in my game. My putting stats show that I've dropped almost four strokes off my rounds. I was averaging thirty six PPR and now it's down to thirty two I took no lessons and used no training aids. It was all the putter. If someone would have told me a putter would shave three to four strokes off my game I would have laughed at you! 

Bottom line is I love this putter. What a value the guys at Dicks have come up with....they made a world class putter for the $100 range. Thank you MY GOLF SPY, without this site I would never have given this a chance. You saved me spending $400+ on an Evenroll, so thank you guys for that.

Looks – 7/10
      Feel – 9/10
      Alignment – 10/10
      Value – 11/10

Overall – 9/10 – I highly, highly recommend this putter.

• Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!