jhellrung

Unofficial Review - Orange Whip Training Aid

Our Sponsors

17 hours ago, McaseyM said:

Lots of Orange Whips on eBay for under $100. I have a Gold Flex and can to the 1 handed drills when i choke down to the actual shaft, albeit 8-10 swing at most. Interested in trying the Whip though. the Gold Flex does force me to make sure to transfer my weight forward during the swing otherwise i'm all off balance. 

You know you are correct on the weight transfer thing--- I learned that with what little I have worked with my GF---

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Old dog...  new tricks...  I don't think so.

Although a few weeks ago I was up against a tree and had no swing except left handed.  Turned a 6i upside down and advanced the ball a lot further than I thought I would.  I think the LH swings with the GF helped there.

LOL the way I learned to hit a ball left handed was when I ran the driving range at my old man's course. We had a lot of college folks ( non golfers) that came out to belt balls. We had some of those hard plastic drivers for rental clubs. I used to turn a right handed driver on the toe and fling away to impress the little college hotties ( hey I ain't gonna lie) Got pretty decent at it. Of course I loved doing trick shots. My old man saw me one day hitting a right handed driver left handed and quipped " you need to put that club in your bag and play like that you hit it straighter than your regular one" The left handed thing became real handy for me as wild as I was with a driver in those days. I still practice it some with a 56* wedge turned on the toe. Also I feel that it helps with hand eye coordination. One of the guys on tour I forget who is right handed but practices some with a left handed club.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I think the LH swings with the GF helped there.

Hope you mean Gold Flex 😜

• Haha 2

On 3/20/2020 at 7:09 PM, tony@CIC said:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the differences between the OW and the GF.

Tony, all - IMHO, and in a nutshell, the main differences I see are...

Gold Flex --
#1. better for building strength (including grip and forearm) and stretching the swing muscles
2. also functions as a swing training aid

Orange Whip --
#1. better as swing training aid .. most especially for rhythm and tempo
2. also functions to stretch and strengthen
3. easier to one-hand for us less-than-TheRock type dudes

The counterbalance at the butt end of the OW is really the "magic sauce" - the underlying idea is if you're swinging on-plane and in-rhythm the whole club feels "lighter".

I'll try to get a few pics to add to show them side-by-side (today was miserable and wet and partly snowy even!).

• Like 4

On 3/23/2020 at 6:51 PM, cksurfdude said:

Tony, all - IMHO, and in a nutshell, the main differences I see are...

Gold Flex --
#1. better for building strength (including grip and forearm) and stretching the swing muscles
2. also functions as a swing training aid

Orange Whip --
#1. better as swing training aid .. most especially for rhythm and tempo
2. also functions to stretch and strengthen
3. easier to one-hand for us less-than-TheRock type dudes

The counterbalance at the butt end of the OW is really the "magic sauce" - the underlying idea is if you're swinging on-plane and in-rhythm the whole club feels "lighter".

I'll try to get a few pics to add to show them side-by-side (today was miserable and wet and partly snowy even!).

Guess what showed up today. 

IMG_6674.JPG

IMG_6675.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Guess what showed up today

NICE!!!

Two quick pics of OW and GF...

20200325_165624.thumb.jpg.bbb9be058ea1aff600b05fbdd1b90af6.jpg

The GF is ~3/4" longer. Haven't looked at the specs on each website, but they seem to be about the same total weight. 

My GF is a few years old, so don't know if they're still using the same grip but I like the wrap on the OW better. 

Bend / Flex...

20200325_165719.thumb.jpg.39fb0c667a3cacf0467b05e48766c44e.jpg

(Had my lovely assistant helping here 😄)

With the butt ends of the grips lined up, and about 14" from the edge of the counter, you can see that the OW beers more / is "flexier". Also, no pic but holding them side by side and pushing down the bend/flex point of the OW is much closer to the head; on the GF it's more middle.

*** Also and Important:

* Check the counterbalance ball at the butt end EVERY TIME you pick it up .. or use thread lock .. there's a notice somewhere on the OW website with serial number ranges where that ball may come unthreaded....!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

* Check the counterbalance ball at the butt end EVERY TIME you pick it up .. or use thread lock .. there's a notice somewhere on the OW website with serial number ranges where that ball may come unthreaded....!

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to practice with the OW first and then progress to the GF. Note: I can already see (I did have to practice today 😁) that it's going to help with footwork and balance. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to practice with the OW first and then progress to the GF. Note: I can already see (I did have to practice today 😁) that it's going to help with footwork and balance. 

Hope your experience mirrors mine = the more I use it, the more I like it!