Sluggo42

NFL thread! What are you thinking?

Our Sponsors

6 hours ago, sixcat said:

Which is utterly amazing and wildly fascinating when you look at how much ESPN paid to broadcast Monday Night Football with no flex scheduling or potential to air a Super Bowl.  NBC paid $950 million, can virtually pick their games and host the Super Bowl every third year.  ESPN paid $1.9 Billion (renegotiated down to $1.75 Billion in 2018).  Their allotment of games are almost exclusively dictated by the league and have no shot at airing a Super Bowl.

For the record, CBS paid $1 Billion and Fox paid $1.1 Billion.  Each air the Super Bowl every third year.  ESPN grossly overpaid for what they got the rights to!

Which is why ESPN is going bankrupt.  I might be off on the numbers, but I believe ESPN has lost 13 million cable subscribers in the past 6 years (https://www.businessinsider.com/espn-losing-subscribers-not-ratings-viewers-2017-9).  Those numbers are 2 years old, and they have only gotten worse in the last 18 months.

I'm also one of those lost subscribers, as I don't have either ESPN or Golf Channel with my Sling package.  Frankly, I don't miss either network one bit.  I mean, why would I want ESPN, only to have the choice of watching the Patriots embarass every team they play on MNF.  The NFL is a complete joke, competition wise.  Like I said several years ago, just give the trophy to the Patriots in August every year, and stop wasting everyone's time.

• Like 1

• :ping-small: G400 Driver, 3 Fairway
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Irons - 18° & 21°
  • :Hogan: Ft. Worth Hi Utility Iron - 24°
  • :callaway-small: Forged Razr X 6-A Wedge irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 54° & 58°
  • :ping-small: Sigma2 Tyne Putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:NX7 Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

2 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Only games that are scheduled for Sunday already can be flexed into the Sunday Night Football primetime slot. It's logistics thing. Stadiums are already set for a game on that day. Change of time of day is one thing, but flexing it to another day entirely? Never going to happen.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I believe you completely missed the point!!!!!

It doesn't matter what games can be flexed.  Broadcasting rights are closed bid.  ESPN submitted a closed bid for $1.9 Billion for something they will have no control of and gives them no opportunity to air a Super Bowl.  i.e...ESPN knew they had no flex scheduling potential and no opportunity to air a Super Bowl and still bid double what NBC did.

NBC paid half what ESPN paid and gets flex scheduling and a Super Bowl every third year.  

You said it was utterly amazing and wildly fascinating that ESPN can't flex games for how much they paid for it. I responded to that portion about why they'll never be able to flex games. How much they paid for the broadcasting rights is irrelevant, so no, I didn't miss your point.

I believe you completely missed the point!!!!!
It doesn't matter what games can be flexed.  Broadcasting rights are closed bid.  ESPN submitted a closed bid for $1.9 Billion for something they will have no control of and gives them no opportunity to air a Super Bowl.  i.e...ESPN knew they had no flex scheduling potential and no opportunity to air a Super Bowl and still bid double what NBC did.
NBC paid half what ESPN paid and gets flex scheduling and a Super Bowl every third year.  

28 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

You said it was utterly amazing and wildly fascinating that ESPN can't flex games for how much they paid for it. I responded to that portion about why they'll never be able to flex games. How much they paid for the broadcasting rights is irrelevant, so no, I didn't miss your point.

Actually, I said "Which is utterly amazing and wildly fascinating when you look at how much ESPN paid to broadcast Monday Night Football with no flex scheduling or potential to air a Super Bowl."

At no point did I suggest it was utterly amazing or wildly fascinating ESPN couldn't flex games!  What's utterly amazing and wildly fascinating is that ESPN would volunteer to pay double the amount NBC paid for far less control of content and an inferior package of game availability.

Reading comprehension!

Not sure why you're so caught up on trying to dunk on me for literally no reason. ESPN can't flex games, regardless how much they paid for the broadcasting rights for Monday Night Football. Fox can't flex Thursday games either. NBC are the only ones who can for Sunday Night Football. What other networks paid for primetime slots on other nights is completely irrelevant to whether they can flex games.

Actually, I said "Which is utterly amazing and wildly fascinating when you look at how much ESPN paid to broadcast Monday Night Football with no flex scheduling or potential to air a Super Bowl."
At no point did I suggest it was utterly amazing or wildly fascinating ESPN couldn't flex games!  What's utterly amazing and wildly fascinating is that ESPN would volunteer to pay double the amount NBC paid for far less control of content and an inferior package of game availability.
Reading comprehension!

I’m thinking just get rid of Detroit’s franchise. Good Lord. How many MORE years do we have to wait?! The NFL could even take the franchise from the Ford family, or do like Bull Durham and buy some fried chicken (sacrifice an animal). SOMETHING. 50+ years of futility is enough already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

7 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I’m thinking just get rid of Detroit’s franchise. Good Lord. How many MORE years do we have to wait?! The NFL could even take the franchise from the Ford family, or do like Bull Durham and buy some fried chicken (sacrifice an animal). SOMETHING. 50+ years of futility is enough already!

Well they started by getting rid of QuanDre Diggs to the Seahawks, thank you very much!

how long you gunna be in T Oaks Mookie? It would be fun to grab a game with you while you’re in my neighborhood...

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 Stiff

:mizuno-small: MP5/MP25 combo

Sub70  Wedges 50°, 54°, 58° Raw, on Recoil 760 SmacWrap

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

Well they started by getting rid of QuanDre Diggs to the Seahawks, thank you very much!
how long you gunna be in T Oaks Mookie? It would be fun to grab a game with you while you’re in my neighborhood...

I leave Thursday evening. I brought my clubs and have only been able to touch them over the weekend. Frustrating as I was planning on a couple nights of just going to the range. Nope, stupid “study hall” each night. Ridiculous...

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

11 hours ago, Tsecor said:

There are two types of NFL fans. Cowboy fans and those who wish they were.

Burn

Yea, umm...... not so much.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Yep. They've been trying to get him since the draft.

Sanu went to Rutgers.... 'nuff said.  😉

• Like 1

StrokerAce
:cobra-small:  Speedzone Xtreme 
:cobra-small:  King F7 3/4w Fujikara 
:titelist-small:  816 H1 21 Diamana red 
:ping-small:  G410 4-U Project X LZ 6.0
:vokey-small:  SM6 54/58 
TBD...
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro 
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130
:Arccos: Caddie

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

2 hours ago, PMookie said:

I leave Thursday evening. I brought my clubs and have only been able to touch them over the weekend. Frustrating as I was planning on a couple nights of just going to the range. Nope, stupid “study hall” each night. Ridiculous...

Well rats, at least you got to play sandpiper tho. Hope it was decent shape. But the views never disappoint!

• Like 1

:ping-small: G400 LSTec driver 10° on Aldila X-Torsion Stiff

:callaway-small: 816 Alpha 3-wood 15° On Aldila Rogue Stiff

:callaway-small: 815 GBB Alpha hybrid 19° On Fujikura Speeder 865 Stiff

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood

:benhogan-small: Ptx Pro 5-P irons on KBS Tour V 110 S

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on recoil 780 Stiff

:mizuno-small: MP5/MP25 combo

Sub70  Wedges 50°, 54°, 58° Raw, on Recoil 760 SmacWrap

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

Sketcher shoes

13 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Not sure why you're so caught up on trying to dunk on me for literally no reason.

You're right!  Not an excuse but I wasn't feeling well yesterday and took some of my frustration out on you.  Again, not an excuse!  It is what it is.  My sincerest of apologies!

What I was trying to say is, it amazes me ESPN would offer to pay as much as they did knowing flex scheduling and Super Bowls were out of the question.  NBC got both for literally half what ESPN paid.

Purely from the perspective of a Patriots fan, I hate Monday, Thursday, and Sunday Night football.  I only watch the 16 (or usually more) Patriots games, and the Pats always get at least one game on each of those weird times.  I'd like every Patriots game to be on Sunday afternoon at either 1 or 4 PM.

It pisses me off how little the league cares about my convenience and preferences.  I'm not asking them to suspend those games if they find them profitable.  Just don't schedule the Pats at those times.  The national audience is sick of seeing them anyway.

As a boy in the 1950s, before the Patriots were founded, I was a Giants fan (my fingers actually cramp as I type that).   All the games were on Sunday afternoon with Chris Schenkel and Johnny Lujack.  You know how I react to change.

• Like 1

Purely from the perspective of a Patriots fan, I hate Monday, Thursday, and Sunday Night football.  I only watch the 16 (or usually more) Patriots games, and the Pats always get at least one game on each of those weird times.  I'd like every Patriots game to be on Sunday afternoon at either 1 or 4 PM.
It pisses me off how little the league cares about my convenience and preferences.  I'm not asking them to suspend those games if they find them profitable.  Just don't schedule the Pats at those times.  The national audience is sick of seeing them anyway.
As a boy in the 1950s, before the Patriots were founded, I was a Giants fan (my fingers actually cramp as I type that).   All the games were on Sunday afternoon with Chris Schenkel and Johnny Lujack.  You know how I react to change.

That sounds familiar. Also Giants fan and Pats as backup (never mentioned that to my Dad). Used to go to Giants and Pats games and at one time Pats tix were dirt cheap at the old cesspool Gillette Stadium.
Then Kraft starts his demands for a new stadium with Mass and negotiations stall and Kraft turns to CT. The CT legislature gives Kraft the land, stadium and everything he wants. Proposed stadium 15 minutes from my house, my Buds and I are all over this. Part of the deal is, I believe it was Kraft that a minimum of Season Tix needed to be sold(this is before land was even cleared) so me like thousands of other foolish dupes pony up the bucks, Mass blinks, Kraft gets his deal in Foxboro. Took a while to get over that.
Not sympathetic for Krafty.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

15 hours ago, Rickp said:

That sounds familiar. Also Giants fan and Pats as backup .

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I wasn't a Giants fan with Pats as backup.  I dropped the G-Men cold as they lost one NFL title game after another and I jumped onto the Pats full bore. 

It was a dago thing....the Pats had Parilli and Cappelletti, and I was all in--especially since tickets at Fenway Park were seven bucks. Even a college kid could afford that (although Red Sox bleacher tickets were only a buck).

By the time the Pats moved to Foxborough, I had lost interest in football altogether.  Then came Belichik and Brady. 

They built the stadium in Hartford anyway, Rickp, and the Huskies moved up to FBS level, leaving their campus stadium in Storrs.

UConn had a kicker named Dave Teggart Jr.  I used to play golf with his dad, Dave Sr., who'd been a kicker at UNH.  Dad was nearly a decade younger than I. We had some great games.

• Like 1