Sluggo42

NFL thread! What are you thinking?

The NFL is a perfect case study of idiocy in delivering fines and punishment.

Jonathan Jones delivers the near exact hit on Josh Allen yesterday that cost Burfict his entire season.

Zero fine, Zero suspension.

Allen is out and the Patriots carry on. It’s an absolute joke.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

There needs to be a rule where if a guy gets hurt from what’s deemed to be an intentional hit that player gets s proportional penalty

That definitely did not happen in Buffalo yesterday. Makes me sick to think that a perfectly clear helmet to helmet warrants no justice while in the same breath, the NFL makes an example of Burfict. It’s insanity.

It's hardly insanity. This is Burfict's fourth suspension on top of numerous fines and penalties for unnecessary roughness/personal fouls. The guy has a reputation for being the dirtiest player in the league and it's not really a close discussion between him and anyone else.

The Jones hit, while helmet to helmet, was not nearly the same. Jones led with his shoulder, but it was Allen being tackled from behind that altered Jones' contact point to being helmet to helmet. Did Jones need to lead with his shoulder on that play? No, but the attempt to assist in the tackle was necessary as Allen likely could have reached for first down yardage had Jones not done anything to assist the tackle from behind. It was an unfortunate play that was correctly flagged by officials, though offset by a holding penalty by the Bills. This is also not a repeat offense for Jones so it's not an equal comparison.

Burfict threw a vicious helmet to helmet hit, in which he led with the crown of his helmet, on a receiver already on the ground having just made a catch. It's a situation where all he had to do was put his hands on the player and the play's done but he didn't.

It sucks that Allen was hurt as a result of the hit from Jones but these are not equivalent situations deserving of equivalent consequences.

That definitely did not happen in Buffalo yesterday. Makes me sick to think that a perfectly clear helmet to helmet warrants no justice while in the same breath, the NFL makes an example of Burfict. It’s insanity.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Gruden, the GM, not having such a good start.... 

They are doing what I expected.... building slowly and getting young. I'm not a gruden fan.... wasn't the first time around. This will come around in Vegas. I know that Gruden doesn't want Carr, he was just stuck with him. He'll be gone after this season and Gruden/Mayock will probably trade up and take Herbert, I hope.

They signed Burfect, Incognito and AB hoping to give the fans in Oakland some semblance of a decent season before leaving for Vegas. It didn't work out. Most of us fans knew it wouldn't. I'll give Gruden his shot in Vegas before I start screaming...lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bens197 said:

I understand, but Berfect has a lot of history. He has accumulated

$5.3 million in fines over his career. Enough!

Yeah, VB is on another level...

... What I found disturbing about the Jones hit was he took a step toward Allen to stand over and taunt him but another player pulled him away. I don't know anything about Jones so I can't hypothesize on his guilt or innocence but it sure looked intentional to me. Not intentional head to head, but clearly trying to take a shot at Allen to deliver a "message" which is easy to see with the taunting. These are the exact kind of hits the NFL is trying to do away with and have them actually tackle instead.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

It's hardly insanity. This is Burfict's fourth suspension on top of numerous fines and penalties for unnecessary roughness/personal fouls. The guy has a reputation for being the dirtiest player in the league and it's not really a close discussion between him and anyone else.

The Jones hit, while helmet to helmet, was not nearly the same. Jones led with his shoulder, but it was Allen being tackled from behind that altered Jones' contact point to being helmet to helmet. Did Jones need to lead with his shoulder on that play? No, but the attempt to assist in the tackle was necessary as Allen likely could have reached for first down yardage had Jones not done anything to assist the tackle from behind. It was an unfortunate play that was correctly flagged by officials, though offset by a holding penalty by the Bills. This is also not a repeat offense for Jones so it's not an equal comparison.

Burfict threw a vicious helmet to helmet hit, in which he led with the crown of his helmet, on a receiver already on the ground having just made a catch. It's a situation where all he had to do was put his hands on the player and the play's done but he didn't.

It sucks that Allen was hurt as a result of the hit from Jones but these are not equivalent situations deserving of equivalent consequences.

You can't hit a player much less a QB with a direct helmet to helmet hit and walk away without a scratch.  If the NFL truly cared about player safety, they would proactively fine him for this hit to send a message of zero tolerance.  It took the NFL this long to send a message to Burfict, why wait?  Ignoring that hit and issuing no fine just reinforces that their concern of player safety is a bunch of horsefeathers.

3 hours ago, silver & black said:

I understand, but Berfect has a lot of history. He has accumulated

$5.3 million in fines over his career. Enough!

Enough is right.  But while we are at it, I don't want the NFL to tell me that one head to head hit isn't any less deserving regardless of the assailant.  If the player's safety is paramount, how in the world is a direct helmet hit ignored...total silliness.

It didn't take this long to send a message to Burfict. He's been fined over $5 million dollars and suspended 4 times for his transgressions. He's a repeat offender to the nth degree.

The Jones hit hasn't been ignored. It will be reviewed for a potential fine but it didn't in any way meet the standard for ejection or suspension.

[/url]

Player reputation matters here as well. Would you be okay with someone receiving the same prison sentence for committing manslaughter as a serial killer does for committing first degree murder?

Jones did everything within the rules. He led with his shoulder, he turned as contact came, he didn't launch into him. Reviewing the film, Allen knows he's there and lowers his body preparing for the contact, which is part of what resulted in the helmet to helmet contact. I've linked a tweet below with an angle of the hit demonstrating this.

Again, it's unfortunate that Allen was hurt to that level but suggesting that Jones should receive the same level of punishment as Burfict is a total stretch.

It didn't take this long to send a message to Burfict. He's been fined over $5 million dollars and suspended 4 times for his transgressions. He's a repeat offender to the nth degree.

The Jones hit hasn't been ignored. It will be reviewed for a potential fine but it didn't in any way meet the standard for ejection or suspension.

[/url]

Player reputation matters here as well. Would you be okay with someone receiving the same prison sentence for committing manslaughter as a serial killer does for committing first degree murder?

Jones did everything within the rules. He led with his shoulder, he turned as contact came, he didn't launch into him. Reviewing the film, Allen knows he's there and lowers his body preparing for the contact, which is part of what resulted in the helmet to helmet contact. I've linked a tweet below with an angle of the hit demonstrating this.

Again, it's unfortunate that Allen was hurt to that level but suggesting that Jones should receive the same level of punishment as Burfict is a total stretch.

I never said he should receive the same punishment. It’s a shame that nearly the same hit yields no penalty or fine.

Again, it's not even remotely the same hit and Jones is still up for a fine. Fines aren't typically announced until after the week of games is over so if he does receive one it will be probably be announced on Tuesday. He also did receive a penalty during the game for the hit, though it was effectively negated due to an offensive holding penalty that offset the flag he received for the hit.

I never said he should receive the same punishment. It’s a shame that nearly the same hit yields no penalty or fine.

Again, it's not even remotely the same hit and Jones is still up for a fine. Fines aren't typically announced until after the week of games is over so if he does receive one it will be probably be announced on Tuesday. He also did receive a penalty during the game for the hit, though it was effectively negated due to an offensive holding penalty that offset the flag he received for the hit.

Whatever man. I’m not going ten rounds with this.

Night

My opinion, Burfict's suspension was warranted and very much earned.  He has been asking for a more severe punishment since his career began. 

Jones should have been ejected without question.  Targeting is targeting and to celebrate afterward shows a distinct level of callousness that warrants further discipline.  For the NFL to preach player safety and do nothing in light of Jones' hit on Allen is in-and-of-itself....callous!

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

Rex Ryan has always been a big mouth and every once and a while he’s on the right side of history.

I do believe Mayfield had very high expectations set not only by the NFL (it’s scheduling for the Browns this season) and it’s characters, but by he himself.

I hate to say it but I tend to agree with Rex that he isn’t what everyone is hyping up to be.

6 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I do believe Mayfield had very high expectations set not only by the NFL (it’s scheduling for the Browns this season) and it’s characters, but by he himself.

I hate to say it but I tend to agree with Rex that he isn’t what everyone is hyping up to be.

... Who is? So many busts at QB when drafted in the 1st round and even 1st in the draft. For every Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck that are exactly who many thought they would be, there are 10x's as many busts and many more that while serviceable NFL QB's, do not live up to the hype.

Jarad Goff (1)
Jamis Winston (1)
Sam Bradford (1)
Alex Smith (1)
David Carr (1)
Tim Couch (1)
JaMarcus Russell (1)
Mitch Trubisky (2)
Marcus Mariota (2)
Robert Griffin III (2)
Blake Bortles (3)
Vince Young (3)
Joey Harrington (3)
Mark Sanchez (5)
Ryan Tannehill
Johnny Manziel
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert 
Josh Freeman
Brady Quinn 
Matt Leinart
Jason Campbell
JP Losman
Byron Leftwich
Kyle Boller
Rex Grossman
EJ Manuel
Tim Tebow
Paxton Lynch
Christian Ponder
Brandon Weden 

• Like 5

... Who is? So many busts at QB when drafted in the 1st round and even 1st in the draft. For every Peyton Manning/Andrew Luck that are exactly who many thought they would be, there are 10x's as many busts and many more that while serviceable NFL QB's, do not live up to the hype.

Jarad Goff (1)
Jamis Winston (1)
Sam Bradford (1)
Alex Smith (1)
David Carr (1)
Tim Couch (1)
JaMarcus Russell (1)
Mitch Trubisky (2)
Marcus Mariota (2)
Robert Griffin III (2)
Blake Bortles (3)
Vince Young (3)
Joey Harrington (3)
Mark Sanchez (5)
Ryan Tannehill
Johnny Manziel
Jake Locker
Blaine Gabbert 
Josh Freeman
Brady Quinn 
Matt Leinart
Jason Campbell
JP Losman
Byron Leftwich
Kyle Boller
Rex Grossman
EJ Manuel
Tim Tebow
Paxton Lynch
Christian Ponder
Brandon Weden 

I love that you included EJ in that list...he is a big reason why Doug Whaley is now in the XFL.

• Like 1

Big game for Seahawks Thursday nite against the Rams, who suddenly aren’t as scary as they seemed a week ago... but still scary

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Big game for Seahawks Thursday nite against the Rams, who suddenly aren’t as scary as they seemed a week ago... but still scary

As a lifelong 'Hawks fan and a proud 12.. I do not think they have the secondary to be a real threat. That being said they can beat the Rams, but it will be a fight.

Go 'Hawks...

• Like 1