pozzit

Fitting Survey

On 11/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, pozzit said:

I'm also slightly confused on your point stating "if you are buying clubs anyway, by all means get fit" that's why most people are getting fit. I got a fitting recently to understand where equipment could actually improve my game and although I am an 8 or so handicap I found that I'm loosing 22 yards on my Driver and that doesn't include the big tips the fitter gave me to work on over the winter.

I have several friends/family who are 20+ handicap and although lessons will be much more impactful, they see getting properly fit is important.

I said “If you’re buying clubs anyway, by all means get properly fitted!” An important distinction IME.

There are people who don’t otherwise need new clubs, who buy because they think fitted clubs will improve their scoring. It might, but it won’t necessarily. Some of your friends who see fitting as more important than lessons/practice are mistaken, even more if they aren’t careful choosing a fitter. I’ll bet at least half the fitters out there aren’t really qualified.

This won’t guarantee a good fitting, but it may tell you when your in the midst of a bad one https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/custom-fitted-golf-clubs/

Edited by Middler

3 hours ago, Middler said:

I said “If you’re buying clubs anyway, by all means get properly fitted!” An important distinction IME.

There are people who don’t otherwise need new clubs, who buy because they think fitted clubs will improve their scoring. It might, but it won’t necessarily. Some of your friends who see fitting as more important than lessons/practice are mistaken, even more of they aren’t careful choosing a fitter. I’ll bet at least half the fitters out there aren’t really qualified.

This won’t guarantee a good fitting, but it may tell you when your in the midst of a bad one https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/custom-fitted-golf-clubs/

That's a great article also yes properly fit is the crucial piece. 

I am a penny pincher and never encourage people to spend money where its not needed especially when year over year "improvements" are maybe a couple yards if that. The friends that believe fitting is important but understand it less beneficial then lessons. I did the free TrueSpecGolf fitting a few weeks ago and I hit 4 shots with my Driver and he told me "No matter what club I put in your hand will fix your shot, but can give you some help to mitigate it" Lessons and practice are the only way to fix it.... he said the same thing about my putting... made me feel so uplifted 🙄.

In my Opinion the hierarchy of importance is:

1) Lessons

2) Practice

3) Fitting 

4) Internet/Article Tips 

58 minutes ago, pozzit said:

That's a great article also yes properly fit is the crucial piece. 

I am a penny pincher and never encourage people to spend money where its not needed especially when year over year "improvements" are maybe a couple yards if that. The friends that believe fitting is important but understand it less beneficial then lessons. I did the free TrueSpecGolf fitting a few weeks ago and I hit 4 shots with my Driver and he told me "No matter what club I put in your hand will fix your shot, but can give you some help to mitigate it" Lessons and practice are the only way to fix it.... he said the same thing about my putting... made me feel so uplifted 🙄.

In my Opinion the hierarchy of importance is:

1) Lessons

2) Practice

3) Fitting 

4) Internet/Article Tips 

I’d slot just playing golf in there somewhere, probably first or second - but well ahead of fitting for most who play golf. A proper fitting should precede buying clubs, but fitting shouldn’t be a reason to buy new clubs for most.

If your swing isn’t repeatable, a fitting won’t do any good at all. There are too many people who believe I wasn’t fitted for my current clubs, so I must need new clubs. Maybe, likely not.

Golf pros and (near) scratch amateurs with highly repeatable swings are a different golf universe than the rest of us. Them aside, I’ve been playing for 55 years and I can’t think of anyone who scored better after buying new clubs, fitted or not, once the new club honeymoon was over. Of course no one, self included, would admit their new clubs weren’t better...

Edited by Middler

On 11/13/2019 at 2:57 PM, Middler said:

I’d slot just playing golf in there somewhere, probably first or second - but well ahead of fitting for most who play golf. A proper fitting should precede buying clubs, but fitting shouldn’t be a reason to buy new clubs for most.

If your swing isn’t repeatable, a fitting won’t do any good at all. There are too many people who believe I wasn’t fitted for my current clubs, so I must need new clubs. Maybe, likely not.

Golf pros and (near) scratch amateurs with highly repeatable swings are a different golf universe than the rest of us. Them aside, I’ve been playing for 55 years and I can’t think of anyone who scored better after buying new clubs, fitted or not, once the new club honeymoon was over. Of course no one, self included, would admit their new clubs weren’t better...

Just playing golf is in the list I was assuming the non competitive rounds (tournament, league, or against your buddies) would fall into practice on course, on range, or other.

So I'm more curious or concerned with the opposite I have had experience and know people who believed that a low spin driver was best for them because they put a lot of side spin on the ball so it will make the shot go less off line. (less backspin will likely cause the effect of the same side spin to be more pronounced in the flight) A properly fit may or may not give the person an understanding of why but they will understand that they shouldn't be fit into that club since it does not give them the best results. 

I like the way you but it "A proper fitting should precede buying clubs, but fitting shouldn’t be a reason to buy new clubs for most." I do have an example of the for most part though. I went to a full bag fitting and my main expectation was to understand what would be the best fit for new irons. after the fitting though although I did see some improvements on my irons, the combination of my driver, speed, and swing I was loosing significant distance and dispersion. This allowed me to change what my next equipment investment should be improve my game the most.

Hey all I completed writing up the survey. Got a total of 30 replies. Appreciated everyone participation.