Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Looks like I might be a Tommy Armour guy

ZenGolfer

Hello all, some of you may be aware that Im quite a fan of vintage clubs.  I enjoy playing them for casual rounds but I also keep a modern bag for more serious rounds and for when I play in tournaments that require irons/wedges with v-grooves.

Ive been testing the TA Atomic irons this summer, as well as owning a 54 degree VCG wedge, an Impact #3 putter and an Atomic 5-wood.  Ive also got a Tour Edge Bazooka Black driver that Ive been using for about 5 years now and its been a good driver but its time to move on.  So, Ive been looking at drivers and I cant help but notice that the TA Atomic drivers are marked down to about $200, which is a stupid deal for an adjustable driver.

So, while I certainly didnt intend to be a TA guy, I suddenly find myself looking at the prospect of having a full bag of TA clubs.    For the price, TA is really tough to beat and the performance of the clubs is top notch.

I normally try to follow the mantra of, "be your own brand" but if the clubs are a great value and they perform well for you, is there anything wrong with having a bag of the same clubs?

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

1 minute ago, ZenGolfer said:

is there anything wrong with having a bag of the same clubs?

not a thing wrong with that.  Whether it's PXG, Wilson, Tommy Armour or whatever, if it works for you, who cares what brand is stamped on it, or how much it costs.

I've got a $25 Tour Edge putter I bought on clearance about 20 years ago with a new fat Winn grip on it that is currently in my bag.  It's beat up and looks like crap, but you know what, my putting stats tell me it's working better than what I was using previously.  So in the bag it stays.

Play whatever clubs you want to play.  This game is a lot about confidence as well, so if they make you feel confident then go for it.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Whatever works best and leads to more FUN!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I went to Dick's and hit an Atomic driver on the simulator after work today.  I liked it.  By no means am I a long hitter but I was getting 93 mph clubhead speed, around 2000 for spin and about 240 yards and it was pretty consistent on each shot.

With my old driver, I normally get 220 yard max, so yeah, the TA is a keeper.  I ordered one online as soon as I got home. LOL

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

I recently picked up an Atomic 4 hybrid based on the MGS most wanted hybrid test because it had identical testing numbers to the Taylormade M6 hybrid. I was fit for the M6 but didn't want to spend the money on it. So far the Atomic has exceeded my expectations and I'm wearing this club out! It feels fantastic, is easy to elevate and goes very straight. I really like the look of it and the quality feels top notch. For $100 I'm hella impressed. 

My bag is a revolving door!

Had my first round with the Atomic driver yesterday and yup, its a keeper.  I was pulling the ball a little bit (most likely due to the fact that I made a swing change recently and am standing taller to the ball, instead of hunching over) but thats something that is much more me than the club itself.  The thing is long though, Im not a long-hitter by any means and I was hitting it 230-240 yards on average and didnt hit any really bad drives with it.