DannyDips

Ping G400LST Cracked!!!

I nearly broke into tears Monday when after three swings on the driving range (the last sounding a little funny) and on the third hole I pulled the headcover off my G400 LST to see this on the top of the crown. 

Good news: PING already has me a replacement on the way but they are OUT of G400 LST so they are sending me a G410 LST.

Which is pretty awesome but I'm curious if anyone who played the 400 and switched to the 410 what changes they might have seen or felt. Just curious what some of you spies might have noticed between the two models.

Also, you might be able to see from the picture but that top crown is insanely thin. They say it's the width of two pieces of paper. Pretty impressive engineering to move the weight around like that in the head. 

ping crack.jpg

• Sad 1

That's not the first G400 driver I've seen crack somewhere.  And yeah, PING is really good at making good on something like this.

Funny you mentioned it, but I've had friends hand me their G410 driver and let me hit it, and honestly, I'm not a fan of the 410, compared to my G400 clubs.  The feel of it is a lot harder, and I just hit the G400 a lot better.  Granted, both 410s that I hit were stiff shaft, which does not work for me, but the feel was way off for my tastes.

I would imagine though that with the proper shaft in your replacement that you'll be fine.

• Like 2

Wowzers.  Dial back the swing speed from 200 MPH to 124mph. LOL.  Wow.  Crazy how thin that is.  Incredible.

• Like 1

Not surprised, Ping has great Customer Service like many of the top OEM’s.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

I haven't seen any of the 400's do that. I have the M6 and that has happened once already. I think this is the nature of the CF crowns now. 

• Like 1

Dang, that is a serious crack!  I think you'll love the G410 and would bet that if you speak with PING they'll switch you back to a G400 if it does not work out and they have them back in stock.

• Like 1

Odd that the factory is out of the 400’s. I know a few guys that preferred their 400 over the 410. The 400 LST is a 440 I think, and I wonder if the 410 LST is a 460?

I don’t think the 400 LST will be going out of style for a long time... it’s just one of those clubs they got right the first time...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Odd that the factory is out of the 400’s. I know a few guys that preferred their 400 over the 410. The 400 LST is a 440 I think, and I wonder if the 410 LST is a 460?

I don’t think the 400 LST will be going out of style for a long time... it’s just one of those clubs they got right the first time...

Not surprising that Ping is out of the G400 LST given that the G410 line replaced it 10 months ago (even though the G410 LST was released later) and the likelihood that they probably produced less of the LST vs the other two versions. It is better for Ping to cut production earlier rather than stock up in case of warranty replacement because A) less older inventory to potentially get stuck with and B) most people are fine with receiving a newer version as a replacement anyways. 

Worst case scenario for the OP is to sell the G410 LST if he doesn't like it and buy a used/NOS G400 LST (and likely have a little $ left over). 

Size difference between the two LST versions is negligible:

400 LST = 445cc vs 410 LST = 450cc

Edited by storm319
  • Like 2