Golfspy_CG2

Titleist Introuces T100-S Forged Irons

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Pretty much the same for me. I have run across a handful of players thru the years that talk about how far they hit their irons, but all of them swung out of their shoes attempting to achieve max distance with every swing. Conversely those that actual hit their irons very far by technique and ability never talked about distance or their equipment and in some cases were amazingly ignorant about their equipment. I have always felt that distance claims are made by OEM's and not golfers, at least the majority of golfers. Outside of golf forums I am amazed at how little knowledge even really good players seem to have. It is certainly not uncommon for me to ask what shaft someone has in any given club and get "stiff flex" as a response yet oblivious to what kind of shaft they are playing.

... It is the same reason OEM's offer 46" shafts in their drivers, not because golfers hit them farther but because their Iron Byron hits them farther and they can make distance claims in their ads. Fwiw, I don't blame the OEMs because they have to keep up. I have talked to more than a few engineers that roll their at distance claims because they are trying to produce the best driver they can taking into consideration spin, trajectory, forgiveness, sound, feel and at least enough distance to be competitive. If they are 2.1yds shorter than the #1 driver they really could not care less as long as all the other qualities are there. Sales VP's are another story ... 

... But back to irons, PXG and TaylorMade P790's created a new category of irons that looked good at address (and for some in the bag) were the right size and shape, amazingly forgiving for a players iron and produced added distance. I was not a candidate for a distance iron but after hitting the P790's I fell in love with the entire package. The added distance took some adjusting but the look at address, feel and forgiveness won me over. Obviously sales tell the story and other OEM's have no choice but to compete with their own players distance irons so I completely understand Titlest releasing the T100-S model. 

You summed a lot of my experience in talking to players that come into my office at our course on a daily basis.  From scratch guys to the higher handicaps, they are generally very uninformed on just about everything related to irons.  On drivers they know the big ones that are seen on tV or front and center in some of the big box, but yeah shafts, they generally only think flex and nothing else. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You summed a lot of my experience in talking to players that come into my office at our course on a daily basis.  From scratch guys to the higher handicaps, they are generally very uninformed on just about everything related to irons.  On drivers they know the big ones that are seen on tV or front and center in some of the big box, but yeah shafts, they generally only think flex and nothing else. 

Very true, most guys don't know what swing weight is or how heavy their shaft is etc.  The guys that worry about how far they hit their 7 irons are the ego driven golfers.  Most really good golfers I know only care about if they hit their number consistently.  Take me for example, I hit my 7 iron 170 yards.  I'm not saying this to impress anyone or care about those that can hit theirs farther, I am saying this because I don't want to hit my 7 iron 180 on one swing, 170 on another and 190 on the next.  I want to know that I CONSISTENTLY hit it 170 yards give or take a few yards.  If my 170 yard club is a 4 iron then I don't care, I want to know that when I pull 4 iron it will go that particular distance every single time. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Quigleyd said:

Thanks. 

Bending strong also slightly increases offset 

• Like 2

I want to get a bunch of dicks, animals and letter stamped on my irons instead of numbers. 

What did you hit there? I was between a full big D or a 3/4 donkey and opted for the donkey. 

Dicks??? Ducks, I’m guessing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Dicks??? Ducks, I’m guessing... emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Nope. A big veiny triumphant bastard. Probably on my 9 iron 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Nope. A big veiny triumphant bastard. Probably on my 9 iron 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Middler said:

Maybe once 28* loft is stamped with a “9” and standard sets start with a “7” you’ll hear it more often. It’s subtle bragging when I hear it, always prompted by another player saying “what did you hit?” after a good shot.

But peace, I’m as tired as everyone with the debate. Both sides cherry pick each other’s “facts” and we’re never going back to weaker lofts, so it doesn’t matter. The only time I can’t resist is when someone else brings it up as if it’s all 100% legit. It’s not, but I don’t care anymore.

Let’s see lofts have increased every decade since the 50s and there wasn’t many options, now companies make multiple irons with varying lofts. As has been discussed lofts/numbers are what they are due to launch characteristics but many want to ignore that point in they get off my lawn posts about jacked lofts.

Those who want more traditional lofts of which they never state what decade of traditional lofts they want just that they prefer traditional have a option to buy MBs from a number of brands or even better can buy the TW irons from TaylorMade and get can the 3-P like the old days.

33 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

Titleist obviously has no shame. 

I would love to hear more about this lack of shame? Please elaborate 

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Great, now you've gone and done it... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

Bending strong also slightly increases offset 

I like the T100 S precisely for this reason. I haven't seen the T200s in person, but assuming they are like the AP3 then they probably have more offset than I'd like. Having a club like the T100 with a smaller profile, less offset, and all the tech at stronger lofts is a nice option. Whether or not I'd buy still depends on how the gapping works out and what a fitter recommends, but I'd be far less opposed to these than others in the players distance category.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Great, now you've gone and done it... 

Need some excitement on a Thursday 🤪😂🤣

• Like 1

when does the 1st you tube video come out of the T100 vs the T100S? 

15 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Personally, I would not like to read any elaborations

• Like 4

20 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Let’s see lofts have increased every decade since the 50s and there wasn’t many options, now companies make multiple irons with varying lofts. As has been discussed lofts/numbers are what they are due to launch characteristics but many want to ignore that point in they get off my lawn posts about jacked lofts.

Lofts v iron numbers have decreased much more dramatically in the past 20 years. And we get the high launch, low CG characteristic - that has nothing to do with what number manufacturers choose to stamp on their irons. But both sides “ignore” the others POV, so repeating the same thing over and over is pointless. And lofts aren’t going to increase again, so who cares. “What did you hit has no meaning any more?” so no point in asking or answering anymore, no biggie.

Edited by Middler
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Middler said:

Lofts v iron numbers have decreased much more dramatically in the past 20 years. And we get the high launch, low CG characteristic - that has nothing to do with what number manufacturers choose to stamp on their irons. But both sides “ignore” the others POV, so repeating the same thing over and over is pointless. And lofts aren’t going to increase again, so who cares. “What did you hit has no meaning any more?” so no point in asking or answering anymore, no biggie.

What did you hit never had any meaning except to those with an ego. The guys I play with on a regular who are all retired now only ask what myself or one other guy hit because we don’t play full swings all the time and they like to know the club we played and type of shot plus they like reminiscence about their younger days. Anyone with a good understanding of the game has multiple shots with the same club depending on green conditions, pin location, wind, etc. most of the good players I’ve played with never hit a full club especially with scoring irons and wedges.

The great thing about golf is there are tons of options and those who don’t like jacked lofts don’t have to play them and those who like some helpful with getting and keeping the ball in the air and getting some distance can enjoy the game with the game improvement clubs. 

• Like 7

What did you hit never had any meaning except to those with an ego.

Yep. I remember playing with my dads old league partner. I had been hitting little knock downs all day. Hit a 9 iron into a green at about 95 yards away.. he asked me what I hit and immediately started laughing....

Next hole was a dogleg left par 5. Took out my 3 iron and roped a beautiful shot about 60 yards farther than his driver. He didn’t ask me what I hit any more.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 8:14 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

This is the deal, pure and simple.

Playing with modern jacked lofts is very similar to playing a flugelhorn from piano sheet music.

You have to transpose in your head.

When you see a number 4 stamped on the sole, that's a 2-iron.

When you see a number 7, that's a 5-iron.

And so forth. 

Please don't tell me that the engineers assign club numbers according to "launch window" rather than loft.

When they decided to replace names like mid-iron, mashie, and yes, niblick, with a numbering system, trust me, nobody was thinking about "launch windows."

I have nothing against the modern, advanced technology.

I'm just offended by the simple cosmetics of vanity stamping.

As a veteran of fifty years of golf, it offends my intelligence.

• Like 2
  • Off Topic 1

4 hours ago, NiftyNiblick said:

This is the deal, pure and simple.

Playing with modern jacked lofts is very similar to playing a flugelhorn from piano sheet music.

You have to transpose in your head.

When you see a number 4 stamped on the sole, that's a 2-iron.

When you see a number 7, that's a 5-iron.

And so forth. 

Please don't tell me that the engineers assign club numbers according to "launch window" rather than loft.

When they decided to replace names like mid-iron, mashie, and yes, niblick, with a numbering system, trust me, nobody was thinking about "launch windows."

I have nothing against the modern, advanced technology.

I'm just offended by the simple cosmetics of vanity stamping.

As a veteran of fifty years of golf, it offends my intelligence.

Just as I suspected the get off my lawn with the modern irons and nothing specific about why titleist is a shame, considering they have had a GI set on the ap1 for a decade.