Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Show us your Maltby!!!

azstu324

@IndyBonzo and @azstu324 thanks for the insights! I thought from watching the same video thay they sounded great, but never hurts to ask. And Indy, I didn't know you had Maltbys, seems like I will be in good company here.

And @Shrek74 yes sir May 2nd is the date for me. 🤘🏽 And for the big 5-0 you gotta go big, right?

Edited by Michael.Sandoval33
Grammarly

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 5h

5i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :titleist-small: 48°, 52°, 56°

Putter:  :cleveland-small: HB Soft 14

Ball: :odin:

5 minutes ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

@IndyBonzo and @azstu324 thanks for the insights! I thought from watching the same video thay they sounded great, but never hurts to ask. And Indy, I didn't know you had Maltbys, seems like I will be in good company here.

And @Shrek74 yes sir May 2nd is the date for me. 🤘🏽 And for the big 5-0 you gotta go big, right?

Well, on 5/3 I have a PXG fitting. Then on 5/4 there is a huge demo day at Fairways & Greens in Knoxville. Then on 5/6 I'll go back to F&G for a full fitting. So lots of golf stuff over my 4 day birthday weekend. Plus the big gift to myself is the MGS Kingsmill Outing at the end of the month. I just really need to know my shafts from those fittings before I buy anything since I'm converting to graphite iron shafts.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

2 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Well, on 5/3 I have a PXG fitting. Then on 5/4 there is a huge demo day at Fairways & Greens in Knoxville. Then on 5/6 I'll go back to F&G for a full fitting. So lots of golf stuff over my 4 day birthday weekend. Plus the big gift to myself is the MGS Kingsmill Outing at the end of the month. I just really need to know my shafts from those fittings before I buy anything since I'm converting to graphite iron shafts.

Oh yeah a packed weekend, but sounds like a helluva time. You can't go wrong with trying everything. And Kingsmill sounds like it's going to be awesome. You gotta represent the May gang while you're there.

WITB

Ha ha all this birthday talk and my FOMO's kicking in. My 45 is this weekend (24th). Not as monumental as 50 though. Playing 18 with my dad on Saturday at a nice course. Was really hoping to have my new PTM5 putter components and 7 wood in by then that I had ordered last week.. but, since I opted to have them build the 7 wood, they are 7-10 days to ship built clubs 😤. Had I known I would have just ordered unassembled and built it myself. Hopefully it will be here Monday or Tuesday for my "happy birthday to me" present 😁

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

1 hour ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

The only negative I saw on Fit2YouGolf's video was that the sound profile is not for everybody.

Who else is worth while watching on YT for Maltby reviews? F2YG is a but behind reviews of the new products from Maltby, so I'm looking for other alternatives that others watch and can speak to in terms of their quality or lack there of.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

20 hours ago, vandyland said:

I am at the point now where a company has to prove they are doing something innovative on the design front to get my attention. I have bought into the design ethos of MPF, at least the shorter hosel and importance of actually PUBLISHING the center of gravity in the irons. I found my sweet spot in terms of VCOG (thanks for asking it is ~.775!) so now I am kind of married to that range of .750-.775. 

Where I think Maltby is lagging a little bit (and the industry overall) is in wedges. Maybe there just isn't that much technology to pack into these? The Maltby wedges I have tested are fine but seem to lack some leading edge relief. I am really interested in the Mizuno S23 as it has a shorter hosel and some mass moved out toward the toe trying to center the COG (which is a Maltby tenet). I got the max milled because it looked like they were moving some mass out on the toe but I don't love the sole on it. 

Hey Vandy, is that VCOG the one main measurement you look at when looking more into the MPF ratings, or are there any others you check out too?

I just heard from Britt, and he told me that my 101's have an actual vcog of 0.866 and MPF of 573. Both not being very good for this type of iron.

11 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Hey Vandy, is that VCOG the one main measurement you look at

Yes, it is the one I care about the most. I found that too low means I miss the sweet spot because I am a bit of a digger with my irons and I don't really need the "thin" shot help or launch that low VCOG club can provide. I believe the direct center of a golf ball is about 0.84 so I think I still want to stay south of that even though I am coming in steep and taking a divot. I can accept a higher VCOG with my wedges because I am steeper still with those. 

I found out what VCOG I liked through experimentation. I tried the TE+ V4 (.706), the TS3 (.691) and finally the TS1-IM (.780). I found the best smash factor and consistent numbers with the TS1-IM and I put that down to VCOG location above all else, right or wrong. So the idea that lower VCOG is more forgiving may be true on the whole but it didn't fit my impact conditions. I think I would get along with the TS4 as well but I don't need to go down that road. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

3 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Who else is worth while watching on YT for Maltby reviews? F2YG is a but behind reviews of the new products from Maltby, so I'm looking for other alternatives that others watch and can speak to in terms of their quality or lack there of.

So this unfortunately has been the ongoing battle with Golfworks / Maltby. Other than fit2u and LetsPlayThru, there really are no other videos to speak of. The best way to find out about Maltby is by coming right here or one of the other forums out there. Like I mentioned in my previous post, these other DTC companies are flooding the market with their reviews by sending out loads of free clubs to these reviewers. If you haven't already, you'll notice a trend that pretty much all of these guys just happened to get their hands on "XYZ" set of golf clubs and their videos are pretty much all released back to back to back with other reviewers and the same clubs. That's not a mistake. The big companies do the same thing. It's marketing. 

Until my colab with Gabe there were really no produced YT videos to speak of and won't likely be any more from other guys unless they're willing to buy a set themselves. Short of completely trolling them, I've done my absolute best to get them to agree to purchase a set from Maltby and that's yet to happen. My hopes with all of this is that eventually Maltby/Golfworks will break down their walls and see the value in these videos. Time will tell 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

6 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

So this unfortunately has been the ongoing battle with Golfworks / Maltby. Other than fit2u and LetsPlayThru, there really are no other videos to speak of. The best way to find out about Maltby is by coming right here or one of the other forums out there. Like I mentioned in my previous post, these other DTC companies are flooding the market with their reviews by sending out loads of free clubs to these reviewers. If you haven't already, you'll notice a trend that pretty much all of these guys just happened to get their hands on "XYZ" set of golf clubs and their videos are pretty much all released back to back to back with other reviewers and the same clubs. That's not a mistake. The big companies do the same thing. It's marketing. 

Until my colab with Gabe there were really no produced YT videos to speak of and won't likely be any more from other guys unless they're willing to buy a set themselves. Short of completely trolling them, I've done my absolute best to get them to agree to purchase a set from Maltby and that's yet to happen. My hopes with all of this is that eventually Maltby/Golfworks will break down their walls and see the value in these videos. Time will tell 

I think I have the answer - you need to do videos on their gear. 🙂

Seriously, I don't think there needs to be any super crazy high cost production to really get across these clubs. We've all seen how the reviews go - how do they look and feel, how do they perform on the PLM, how do they perform on the course, final thoughts. Easy peasy. You have so many of the clubs and have a ton of experience that you might as well start rolling them out. If I was still living in AZ, I'd help out. But I think someone needs to pick up the slack, and no one seems to care enough.

I wish GW would actually do the videos themselves, the way other manufacturers do. Videos on the MPF system and how it works, how their clubs are all designed/tested/released in house versus catalog clubs, comparisons with other clubs, etc. Their following would increase incredibly if they'd do that. Ugh.

32 minutes ago, vandyland said:

Yes, it is the one I care about the most. I found that too low means I miss the sweet spot because I am a bit of a digger with my irons and I don't really need the "thin" shot help or launch that low VCOG club can provide. I believe the direct center of a golf ball is about 0.84 so I think I still want to stay south of that even though I am coming in steep and taking a divot. I can accept a higher VCOG with my wedges because I am steeper still with those. 

I found out what VCOG I liked through experimentation. I tried the TE+ V4 (.706), the TS3 (.691) and finally the TS1-IM (.780). I found the best smash factor and consistent numbers with the TS1-IM and I put that down to VCOG location above all else, right or wrong. So the idea that lower VCOG is more forgiving may be true on the whole but it didn't fit my impact conditions. I think I would get along with the TS4 as well but I don't need to go down that road. 

Thanks Vandy.

I found my Takomo 101's have a higher than normal vcog of 0.866, which Britt said was higher for a club that was in the GI category (mpf of 573 isn't great either). I've been working to get my AoA down in the negative 2-3 range from 0 to help with compression, so a sub 0.8 would probably be needed for me at this point. Even the PXG's vcog is in that 0.85+ range for their Gen5/6/0211's, which was surprising. Once I figure out my graphite shaft need, I think I may need to get the 7/PW of the TS3, TS4, and TS1-IM and test.

On 11/29/2023 at 6:39 PM, KOG said:

Hey all. So I been tinkering again... I have been playing a set of the TS1s w KBS tour 90s s, the Ke4 Max w Nippon 840 s, and the TS3 9 & PW. Ive been doing mixed sets and Ive decided that my favorite are the TS3 for their amazing feel and soft metal. 

Id like to get the 5,6,7,8 of the TS3 and maybe trade or sell outright my TS1s

These are my TS-1s. 6-gw with emblem paint removed. KBS Tour 90s in stiff flex. Currently Iomic grips installed (can give other grip options). Theyre great irons as you all know here. All clubs show light use as are less than 3 months old.

I figured ID come here before ebay to see if theres anyone who has some TS3s and would like to trade, or purchase them on a discount for enough to fund the rest of my TS3 set. If interested, let me know or if want more pics of whatever, message me.. If interested I can also add Maltby Max 52/58 wedges into the whole set. Light use, DG wedge shafts. BBF ferrules

IMG_0462-EDIT.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

These are some of the best irons I’ve ever played. And shot some of the best rounds in recent years with them in the bag. 

@vandylandthose TS3 irons are so good in real life photos. Hope they work well for you!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

22 hours ago, vandyland said:

I am at the point now where a company has to prove they are doing something innovative on the design front to get my attention. I have bought into the design ethos of MPF, at least the shorter hosel and importance of actually PUBLISHING the center of gravity in the irons. I found my sweet spot in terms of VCOG (thanks for asking it is ~.775!) so now I am kind of married to that range of .750-.775. 

Where I think Maltby is lagging a little bit (and the industry overall) is in wedges. Maybe there just isn't that much technology to pack into these? The Maltby wedges I have tested are fine but seem to lack some leading edge relief. I am really interested in the Mizuno S23 as it has a shorter hosel and some mass moved out toward the toe trying to center the COG (which is a Maltby tenet). I got the max milled because it looked like they were moving some mass out on the toe but I don't love the sole on it. 

Interesting comment about the wedges, particularly the sole on the Max Milled. I have had a 58* for a few years with which I have hit one of my top 2 or 3 bunker shots (one of my few "sandys") as well as some good chips and pitches. Although it is in the mix this year for my most lofted wedge, I have to agree with your comment about not loving the sole on it. Some leading edge relief would definitely help. 

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft (1)

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Odyssey Original 2-Ball White Hot counterbalanced (lead tape in the head, Super Stroke grip with 50-gram weight)

Other: Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Currently doing a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

39 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Trust me - this face ain't gonna convince nobody to buy golf clubs! 😜

Gabe gets enough crap for his slightly unconventional swing. The world would tear me to pieces and my fragile feelings just wouldn't know how to handle that. 🤣😂

MAXFLI  Tour CG

11 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Trust me - this face ain't gonna convince nobody to buy golf clubs! 😜

Gabe gets enough crap for his slightly unconventional swing. The world would tear me to pieces and my fragile feelings just wouldn't know how to handle that. 🤣😂

I hear ya. People suck. 😠

But it would be an opportunity to get the word out on Maltby with someone who actually knows the gear and how has a good game. You'd just need to learn to ignore the haters, since they're words are more around them hating themselves more than you.

I'd say, give it a go with whatever you want (iron would be best), share it with us and go from there.

45 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Seriously, I don't think there needs to be any super crazy high cost production to really get across these clubs. We've all seen how the reviews go - how do they look and feel, how do they perform on the PLM, how do they perform on the course, final thoughts. Easy peasy. You have so many of the clubs and have a ton of experience that you might as well start rolling them out. If I was still living in AZ, I'd help out. But I think someone needs to pick up the slack, and no one seems to care enough.

I wish GW would actually do the videos themselves, the way other manufacturers do. Videos on the MPF system and how it works, how their clubs are all designed/tested/released in house versus catalog clubs, comparisons with other clubs, etc. Their following would increase incredibly if they'd do that. Ugh.

In all seriousness though, I wish I could. I wish I could step away from the market I work in (finance) and do something like that full-time and create content, or get paid to write articles or run marketing for a golf company or something along those lines. (Maybe someday)

Unfortunately, with a family, kids, and the need to provide for them all, my already limited time just won't permit me to do something like that. I believe there would be a pretty major learning curve for me as that just isn't my skillset. 

Like you mentioned, it would be great if Maltby would just publish their own videos at least to put themselves in front of more eyes. I've more/less got direct access to Britt these days so maybe I'll throw that idea past him. I'm sure it's something they've probably considered but maybe there's a reason they haven't done it? 🤷🏼‍♂️

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

You'd just need to learn to ignore the haters, since they're words are more around them hating themselves more than you.

Yeah that wouldn't be a major problem for me. That was more sarcasm on my part pointing out how ridiculous some of those comments get. I've been in sales and martial arts most of my life so my skin is pretty thick and my ego's pretty small. 

That said, in helping Gabe field a lot of questions and comments about the Maltby clubs, I discovered that there are a good number of people that love to just talk $hit. It actually makes them feel good. It's an unfortunate sickness that is a real thing and I just wouldn't have much patience for it. Call them trolls or whatever but it gets pretty ridiculous, even in the golf world. One guy even tried to put me on blast with a bunch of stupid comments attacking me personally. I felt bad that this is how the guy spends his time and that it makes him happy to act like that. He was removed but still.. it's a thing these days. 

Edited by azstu324

MAXFLI  Tour CG

... There was a time when even serious players didn't think twice about gaming some Golfsmith Snake Eyes MB's and CB's. As Dave said earlier, Maltby also made some seriously good clubs for the higher/mid index player but his better players irons and MB's and Forged CB's were just not very pleasing to the eye. Obviously he has rectified that and currently Maltby makes irons and clubs that are right there with the top OEM's. 

... It's kinda like someone making fun of you for playing Maxfli Tour balls. Soooooo easy to ignore those haters as well as those too ignorant or obtuse to understand the scorecard and the ball doesn't care whose name is on their clubs.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

those too ignorant or obtuse

what-did-you-call-me-warden-norton.gif.0dff3751e9c4fbb77c700c619920171a.gif

Classic! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

On 3/20/2024 at 10:16 PM, azstu324 said:

For anyone who cares, I've got another Maltby review that I'm currently lining up with Gabe from Letsplaythru.. stay tuned!

Very cool, Stu! Gabe does a great job with those reviews—feels like a pretty genuine guy compared to other YT club reviews you see out there. Are you willing to divulge which iron? I partially ask because that first video sold GolfWorks out of TSIMs and I am worried the same thing could happen to TS3s if he reviews them!! 

Callaway Rogue ST Max 9°/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65S
Mizuno CLK 16° Hybrid/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 70S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 20° Hybrid/ Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75S
Maltby TS3 5-GW/Dynamic Gold S300
Maltby TSW 56°/12
Odyssey White Ice 9
Callaway Chrome Soft

2 minutes ago, OhioGolf72 said:

Very cool, Stu! Gabe does a great job with those reviews—feels like a pretty genuine guy compared to other YT club reviews you see out there. Are you willing to divulge which iron? I partially ask because that first video sold GolfWorks out of TSIMs and I am worried the same thing could happen to TS3s if he reviews them!! 

Ha ha so you're safe this round! He will be reviewing my personal set of TS4's. I'm hoping he'll be able to round out the iron reviews with the TS3's eventually though so get that order in! 😜

MAXFLI  Tour CG

13 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

Ha ha so you're safe this round! He will be reviewing my personal set of TS4's. I'm hoping he'll be able to round out the iron reviews with the TS3's eventually though so get that order in! 😜

Can you wait until may to send Gabe the TS3's? That would be very kind 😂 I am excited to see how he loves the TS4's though. And what you said about Gabe's swing a few posts ago, I don't get why people hate it so much. I personally like his swing. It's part of the reason I watch.

WITB

4 minutes ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Can you wait until may to send Gabe the TS3's? That would be very kind 😂 I am excited to see how he loves the TS4's though. And what you said about Gabe's swing a few posts ago, I don't get why people hate it so much. I personally like his swing. It's part of the reason I watch.

It'll probably at least be May. Those won't be coming from me either but another forum member who's offered them up. 

Yeah Gabe's a legit player. Carries a low single digit and manages to shoot par playing speed golf with a camera in his face. He gets the job done and he's just one of us! It floors me that EVERY video he releases he gets a handful of comments from guys telling him how to fix his swing and that he's playing wrong. Unsolicited social media criticism.. It's the world we live in unfortunately 🤦🏼‍♂️

MAXFLI  Tour CG

I love Gabe’s reviews.  He gives me hope that somebody like me - maybe even me - can play and score that well and consistently without super-human distance.  And his persona is such that he seems like a genuinely nice guy.

I can tell he really tries to provide good information on the products he reviews.  His work on launch monitors  and his decision tree for those are particularly stellar.

Good work @azstu324 in facilitating these reviews.  I read some of the criticism thrown your way from other quarters, and it was totally unjustified BS.  Maltby makes great (maybe better) products at lower cost than the other OEMs.  Of course that gospel should be spread!  You and others did it for me here or I would not have Maltbys in my bag.  Thank you. 

Edited by IndyBonzo

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

On 3/22/2024 at 6:23 AM, Willie T said:

This morning has been an interesting read in all things Maltby…I’ve been interested in their stuff for years (ever since my first GolfWorks catalogue) and have contemplated building some for the experience of a ground up build.  Have done some shaft swaps, etc but really would like to take the next step.  More reading to do - and - the thought a really nice custom set of clubs at a DTC price point is almost as intoxicating as “..name your poison here..”.  Well time to dream some more.

Go for it!  It is a wonderful journey that makes my golf game more interesting IMO..

I took the dive some 33 years ago.  I was an inexperienced golf coach and a fellow coach was an accomplished builder. He got me started.  I built four sets of clubs for my fledgling girls golf team.   I have not stopped since. 

I started with Dynacraft and golfsmith.  I had a set of GS Tour cavity Berryllium copper as my first set.  I came to GW when GS tanked it in late 1990's and early 2000.  I have been with them since.  They just keep getting better IMO.    I have played or built nearly every iron set they have made in the past 24 years.   Nothing is more satisfying that building a set and putting them in play.  So much so, that I cannot seem to keep the same set for more than two years.. The bug to try the new stuff is a form of addiction!!

I now have TS-3 and TS-1IM.   My next build will be TS-4 in Rapport Core Blue.  I don't need them.. I WANT them. 

Best of luck to you.    

In My Bag

Driver- Cobra LTDZ-LS- IM 10 Stiff-  Alternating w/ Mizuno STX 230

Fwy- Tour Edge C722 #5 turned down to 16.5,   PXG 0211- #7

Utility- Maltby KE 4 Tour 22 Degree

Irons- Maltby TS-1 IM- Aldila NV Iron- #5-#6-75 gram, #7-8-9  85 Gram,  PW-GW   95 Gram

Wedges- Maltby TSW 54- 58

Putter- TP- Mills- Nellie Anvil Stainless,  David Mills IV workshop, 

Ball- TM- TP 5,  Bridgestone Brxs

On 3/22/2024 at 7:46 AM, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

After looking a bit deeper into GolfWorks and their Maltby forgiveness index, I might be going TS3 come May as a birthday present to myself. The only negative I saw on Fit2YouGolf's video was that the sound profile is not for everybody. Any thoughts on this @azstu324?  

Sound?  TS-3 are the best.  I have played every forged iron Maltby has produced since 2000.  Only the TE are on par IMO.   That and the Toski blades they had for a short time.   MMB are close..  

In My Bag

Driver- Cobra LTDZ-LS- IM 10 Stiff-  Alternating w/ Mizuno STX 230

Fwy- Tour Edge C722 #5 turned down to 16.5,   PXG 0211- #7

Utility- Maltby KE 4 Tour 22 Degree

Irons- Maltby TS-1 IM- Aldila NV Iron- #5-#6-75 gram, #7-8-9  85 Gram,  PW-GW   95 Gram

Wedges- Maltby TSW 54- 58

Putter- TP- Mills- Nellie Anvil Stainless,  David Mills IV workshop, 

Ball- TM- TP 5,  Bridgestone Brxs

5 hours ago, mustanggolf said:

Go for it!  It is a wonderful journey that makes my golf game more interesting IMO..

I took the dive some 33 years ago.  I was an inexperienced golf coach and a fellow coach was an accomplished builder. He got me started.  I built four sets of clubs for my fledgling girls golf team.   I have not stopped since. 

I started with Dynacraft and golfsmith.  I had a set of GS Tour cavity Berryllium copper as my first set.  I came to GW when GS tanked it in late 1990's and early 2000.  I have been with them since.  They just keep getting better IMO.    I have played or built nearly every iron set they have made in the past 24 years.   Nothing is more satisfying that building a set and putting them in play.  So much so, that I cannot seem to keep the same set for more than two years.. The bug to try the new stuff is a form of addiction!!

I now have TS-3 and TS-1IM.   My next build will be TS-4 in Rapport Core Blue.  I don't need them.. I WANT them. 

Best of luck to you.    

Thanks - as much as I tinker with clubs, building a set would be a pretty straight up deal.  Will mean coming to some decisions on head design, shafts, grips, etc.  Time to ponder the GolfWorks catalogue.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I have been leaning towards Takomo 101 Irons, but with all these positive reviews on the Maltby irons, the TS1 IM look sweet. it will be a tossup for sure.

I have the 101’s today. Their MPF is 573 with a v cog of 0.866, which is high for a game improvement iron. Not a very promising set of scores.

I’ll likely be picking up the TS1-IM’s myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unrelated but totally related. 

Happy birthday @azstu324 !!! I would've gotten you something nice but you probably have them built already 😁 enjoy your day Stu!

WITB

39 minutes ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Unrelated but totally related. 

Happy birthday @azstu324 !!! I would've gotten you something nice but you probably have them built already 😁 enjoy your day Stu!

😂🤣😂🤣

Thanks man! And yes.. I have something to build on the way but they'll be here tomorrow (late birthday) 

Really appreciate it! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG