Jump to content

2020 Official Member Review: Ben Hogan Icon & PTX Pro/Icon Combo Irons


Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

3 hours ago, joen said:

And just to be clear, this was not a cosmetic failure after playing. The club arrived with the paint fill missing.

Oh, I did not catch that... odd they would leave the factory looking like that.

  • Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Ben Hogan Company started in 1953. It was well known throughout the company that there was nobody that expected perfection more than Mr. Hogan; to say he was iconic is an understatement. Toda

Learning a new edit system during Covid so I cut together a little something.....    

Hello UIHI.... Is it hot out here or is it just you?

Posted Images

3 hours ago, joen said:

Also, is this indestructotanium alloy the same thing Ironmans suit is made out of???  😆 

After 30+ years of pounding the hell out of my PE2's, I would have to say yes.  Also, while still early in their service life, the G410's seem to be made from a very similar chemistry.

  • Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up a set of PTx Pros blacks, heads only to be put into the new Rapid Tapers.
I chose black because the finish is so durable and the clubs will not show bag chatter.
In comparison to my PTM blacks they are quite a bit shorter in blade length and a touch shorter. Also the hosel is longer with the Hogans.
I built these with three different weighted shafts. 95g 85g and 75g. 95 in the pw, 9... 85 in the 6 7, 8 and 75 in the 4 and 5. All S flex.
The 4 iron is an absolute missile. I was playing it at 225 out and actually making the green. With the 75g shaft they get up very quickly but flaten out and Go. Hitting the 5 iron too far was an issue a few times. A smooth easy swing is all that's needed with the 75g shafts.
The 85g don't quite fly as high but they were also giving me distance that matched the PTM irons which are 2° stronger. Spin is really something with these. The ball just dances on the green. I was seeing the ball bounce pretty high on yhe greens and i assumed it was going over.. Even with the 6 iron i was still backing up the ball. Every ball that hit the green was just a few feet from its mark. Almost all backed up. Stopping power is strong!!
The 95s are control freaks. They are low flying and have spin thats one hop and stop. Hitting little checker pitches is a blast with these.
When I first built the set I installed them straight in with no added weight. They all swing weighted to C 9.5 to D0. But i wasn't super crazy with how some of them felt. So I pulled them apart and made them all D2. The hosel has a nice empty 'weight pocket' below where the shaft bottoms out. I filled that with lead powder and a small bit of lead for a tip weight to get them to where I wanted.
Thats when these clubs really came to life. Never felt a club respond so well to swing weight.
These Rapid Tapers really make a huge difference in feel and flight. The 75g shafts go so damn far.
I could go with all one weight but that would be boring. With all three weights its like the set has three distinct personalities, yet blend in very well.
These are certainly a players club with not that much forgiveness. But struck well and they shine. Im just getting used to them but its a very quick learn. I love my Maltby gear but these may stay around for a while. 20200820_123529.jpg20200820_142949.jpg20200820_222816.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

  • Like 6
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that’s 3 reviews in the 90’s now, as well as Popeye’s very cool addition. I’m enjoying reading that I’m not the only one who is really digging the Hogan irons.

  • Like 2

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Official Ben Hogan Icon Review bumparoo

I could talk about these clubs all day so please fire away with any questions that were not covered in the official review.

  • Like 4

:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro D - Matrix Ozik XCON 6 S
:cobra-small:______S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
:nickent-small:________3DX 17* - Matrix Ozik Altus Hybrid SG
:Hogan:______ICON Black 4-PW - KBS Tour V S
:cleveland-small:__________588 RTG 49  RTX 52.10  56.12 - DG S400
BobbyGrace.png.1dc40002fcec0eee8603b71b3e706e89.png______Amazing Grace NYC Tour CS
:taylormade-small:_______'19 TP5X
(the preceding have all been gamer approved)

"The most important shot in golf is the next one“ - Ben Hogan

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

Well, that’s 3 reviews in the 90’s now, as well as Popeye’s very cool addition. I’m enjoying reading that I’m not the only one who is really digging the Hogan irons.

Yeah I will be getting the equalizer wedges once I sell my ap2s!!!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice & Fresh & Ready to go...please enjoy 🙂

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

 

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, downlowkey said:

Official Ben Hogan Icon Review bumparoo

I could talk about these clubs all day so please fire away with any questions that were not covered in the official review.

terrific review mate, you have a knack with the english language. well done!

  • Like 2

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2020 at 8:05 PM, Popeye64 said:

I picked up a set of PTx Pros blacks, heads only to be put into the new Rapid Tapers.
I chose black because the finish is so durable and the clubs will not show bag chatter.
In comparison to my PTM blacks they are quite a bit shorter in blade length and a touch shorter. Also the hosel is longer with the Hogans.
I built these with three different weighted shafts. 95g 85g and 75g. 95 in the pw, 9... 85 in the 6 7, 8 and 75 in the 4 and 5. All S flex.
The 4 iron is an absolute missile. I was playing it at 225 out and actually making the green. With the 75g shaft they get up very quickly but flaten out and Go. Hitting the 5 iron too far was an issue a few times. A smooth easy swing is all that's needed with the 75g shafts.
The 85g don't quite fly as high but they were also giving me distance that matched the PTM irons which are 2° stronger. Spin is really something with these. The ball just dances on the green. I was seeing the ball bounce pretty high on yhe greens and i assumed it was going over.. Even with the 6 iron i was still backing up the ball. Every ball that hit the green was just a few feet from its mark. Almost all backed up. Stopping power is strong!!
The 95s are control freaks. They are low flying and have spin thats one hop and stop. Hitting little checker pitches is a blast with these.
When I first built the set I installed them straight in with no added weight. They all swing weighted to C 9.5 to D0. But i wasn't super crazy with how some of them felt. So I pulled them apart and made them all D2. The hosel has a nice empty 'weight pocket' below where the shaft bottoms out. I filled that with lead powder and a small bit of lead for a tip weight to get them to where I wanted.
Thats when these clubs really came to life. Never felt a club respond so well to swing weight.
These Rapid Tapers really make a huge difference in feel and flight. The 75g shafts go so damn far.
I could go with all one weight but that would be boring. With all three weights its like the set has three distinct personalities, yet blend in very well.
These are certainly a players club with not that much forgiveness. But struck well and they shine. Im just getting used to them but its a very quick learn. I love my Maltby gear but these may stay around for a while. 20200820_123529.jpg20200820_142949.jpg20200820_222816.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
 

What are your thoughts on those ptm forged?I am looking for a set of game improvement clubs for my dad and looking for something that can be built to specs online. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
What are your thoughts on those ptm forged?I am looking for a set of game improvement clubs for my dad and looking for something that can be built to specs online. 
The PTM have been my gamer irons this year and they check off a lot of boxes.
Thinner top line that hides the fact that its a player GI iron.
Wide sole with relieved leading edge that is a turf friendly as any club could be.
Great feel, that didn't hit anything feel that we all love.
Plenty of weight down low that gets the ball up quickly.
Surprisingly forgiving.
Money wise one of the best deals on a forged head anywhere!!!
Tough to go wrong with the PTM.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

The PTM have been my gamer irons this year and they check off a lot of boxes.
Thinner top line that hides the fact that its a player GI iron.
Wide sole with relieved leading edge that is a turf friendly as any club could be.
Great feel, that didn't hit anything feel that we all love.
Plenty of weight down low that gets the ball up quickly.
Surprisingly forgiving.
Money wise one of the best deals on a forged head anywhere!!!
Tough to go wrong with the PTM.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
 

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2020 at 8:05 PM, Popeye64 said:

I picked up a set of PTx Pros blacks, heads only to be put into the new Rapid Tapers.

How did you get a set of heads only from Hogan? I've asked, and they declined to sell only the heads.

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: Ray Cook Blue Goose or Tour Edge HP #10 Red
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Link to post
Share on other sites
How did you get a set of heads only from Hogan? I've asked, and they declined to sell only the heads.
I sent them sample shafts to be tested. So I had an in with Xcaliber. So they gave me the price they sell them to Club Chamo and such... which wasn't actually cheap.
I really wanted the split set but due to inventory they are not splitting the blacks at this time.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Popeye64 said:

I sent them sample shafts to be tested. So I had an in with Xcaliber. So they gave me the price they sell them to Club Chamo and such... which wasn't actually cheap.
I really wanted the split set but due to inventory they are not splitting the blacks at this time.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
 

Ah...so you work in the golf industry? Nice fringe benefits.

I just think BH's reluctance to sell heads only direct-to-consumer is foolish, since they're already doing so with Club Champion as a middle man. Oh, well. 

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag currently includes;

Driver: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
Fairways:  :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv R-Flex
Irons: :benhogan-small:Apex Plus, 4-PW, Apex S4-Flex
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, Dynamic Gold W-flex 

Putter: Ray Cook Blue Goose or Tour Edge HP #10 Red
Grips: Golf Pride MCC-Plus 4 & Lamkin UTx
Ball: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ah...so you work in the golf industry? Nice fringe benefits.
I just think BH's reluctance to sell heads only direct-to-consumer is foolish, since they're already doing so with Club Champion as a middle man. Oh, well. 
I'm the head of testing for Xcaliber shafts. It went from a hobby to a side deal. Really not making any money with it but I get all the free shafts I want.
The new Rapid Taper shafts are a game changer in a lot of ways. 6 months from now they are gonna be making big waves.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

I just think BH's reluctance to sell heads only direct-to-consumer is foolish, since they're already doing so with Club Champion as a middle man. Oh, well. 

They’re not a component company. All manufacturers sell heads to CC and TXG. 

  • PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Ben Hogan PTx Combo Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52, 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide
  • Oncore Elixr

 

Rochester, NY

5.6 Index

Link to post
Share on other sites

shot a -1 70 today, and the star of the day was the 7 iron. I was zoned into the 150-155 yds shots for whatever reason, and the 7 iron kept jumping out of the bag. Needless to say, it was money all day, as I had 5 birdies. Thats a dang good day for me, and If I hadn't made a stupid double on 5 the day would obviously have been terrific . But any day the - sign is in front of my final score is a great day.

The Hogans are a very large part of this trend of good scores I've been on...

  • Like 5

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

 :EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...