Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Project X LZ 6.0 or 6.5

PingMD702

Hey everyone! I have always been curious what is the best way to approach being on the borderline between Stiff and Extra Stiff? For driver and 3 wood, I am an extra stiff but for hybrid, irons, wedges I’m a stiff with my project x LZ 6.0. I know there is a 5 gram difference between the 6 and 6.5. I want to get the input from the mgs fam and how y’all would approach the age old question haha. Here’s some numbers from the sim. T100s 7 is LZ 6.0 and the iron is the same head but with a LZ 6.5. Thanks everyone in advance!

IMG_0362.PNGIMG_0414.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

I'd keep the LZ 6.0 - the spin numbers are much better.

Sure, it looks on paper that the lower spinning 6.5 gives greater distance, but in the real world hitting a 7-iron into a green with not enough spin will cost you control - out of rough even worse still with knuckle balls that will drop even further and run right through.

Notice how the closure rate turns over the ball in opposite direction for the 6.5 which probably accounts for a little more yardage for the draw spin. If you work on you swing path consistency with the 6.0 - you've nailed it.

I would have to agree the thing that jumped out to me was the much greater spin numbers with the 6.0 shafts. Losing 1500 in spin is a lot and will make catching fliers in the rough and just general distance control likely very difficult. Though yes it looks like you turned the 6.5 over much easier which will normally drop the spin, though even on your straightest shots (side spin less than 100) the spin is still better with the 6.0. I would just number of reasons flew between driver and irons could be different, so glad you stayed curious and not feeling they all must be the same. Each shaft is different and never know which one will work best.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

It would be interesting to see your swing speed numbers for any differences in how you reacted to the shafts and any differences in efficiency. I do agree that spin is getting low and your runout is increasing with the 6.5. It would have been more valuable to see landing angle versus launch angle, that and spin is what matter for iron fitting to hold greens.

The rest is preference, did you notice it easier to load the 6.0 and make a smoother swing? What was you offline and shot areas?  

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

Thanks for the replies! In all honesty, the 6.0 and 6.5 feel very similar. I know that there is a 5 gram difference between the two but to me i can’t seem to tell haha. Only when the dreaded miss hits come out it’s more apparent. Before the LZ, I was playing DG Tour Issued S400 and that was tiring hahah.

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

I did a retest today and I agree with you guys about the 6.0! I lost about 1500 back spin with the 6.5. I fixed my swing path not coming across on the follow thru and now playing the shot I can live with a baby cut, baby draw, or straight down the middle! Thanks for the input!