Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Cleveland Introduces Launcher XL Halo Irons

Golfspy_CG2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So I FINALLY got a chance to demo these today at Golf Galaxy. I didn't have a huge amount of time so I took some swipes with the R flex graphite 7i. My D200 7i is around 155 for me. The Launcher XL Halo was averaging 161 with some really tight dispersion. So a few more yards and pretty darn straight. Hitting off of mats in my opinion doesn't get you to see how the rails work on the turf. But I also have to say that there wasn't anything that made me want to run out and buy them based on how well my D200s have worked for me since I got them. Heck when my son upgraded I took them back because I liked them so much. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

After winning closest to the pin @ a Member-Guest Tournament (where I was the guest of one of my golf students); I won a gift from their pro shop.  The gift turned out to be a new set of Cleveland Halo XL irons. I took them home and wondered what I would ever do with them.  I have been teaching golf for over 45 years, and played to a scratch handicap, for a majority of that time.  Being older now, I managed to remain in the mid-single digits, as distance waned and other  strengths slowly diminished.  What the 'heck', I decided to take this weird looking  monstrosities out on the golf course.  How could I ever play with a club that looked so large and so different?  Boy was I ever "shocked", when these hybrid irons almost hit themselves.  I was immediately hitting the ball higher, than I had in a decade, and about a club and a half farther.  I didn't notice how they looked, but I did notice how they played.  The Cleveland Halo XL irons are a legitimate golf club.  As a matter of fact, I haven't played my other so called forged 'players' irons since.  I have shared this revelation with many of my students, particularly the ones over 50, and they are now also enjoying the ease of these golf clubs.  I actually find conventional golf clubs, so much more of an effort to hit, that why bother. I committed 100% to the Cleveland Halo XL irons, and have not ever looked back.  This is a testimonial to anyone looking to simply enjoy hitting the ball higher and farther than whatever iron they are currently playing.  Ultimately, I believe that clubs like the Halo's are the way of the future.  Almost every manufacturer has come out with a more hybrid type set of irons.  I have now tried them all, and believe that the Halo's are the best of the lot.  Trust me, no one was as surprised as I was to have discovered the Cleveland Halo XL hybrid irons.  Who knew that a 158yd 7 iron on a par 3, @ a Member-Guest tournament, hit to 5'8' from the pin, would earn me a brand new set of these irons.  Fortunately for me, my swing held up, and I did in fact win 'closest to the pin', with that shot.  Only to discover a more fun way to play.  My iron play has never been better.  I only wish I had irons like this in my bag, so much earlier in my golfing career.  Oops, they could've found their way in sooner, since their technology has just arrived in the last few years.  I am certain that these Cleveland Halo XL irons, will extend not only my golfing career, but also keep my handicap in the single digit range.  Not bad for a senior golfer over 70.  Means, that I can still keep 'bragging' about my golf game, probably into my 80's, where I will still be shooting in the 70's ... lol

• 5 months later...

I truly believe all seniors who struggle with elevating their ball flight should give these irons a go. If your vanity won't allow it, you should be kicked in the arse!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I bought a set of these a year ago (see post from last year) and sold them in early spring. Now play ping 410 w/ reg steel shafts. I just hit the launchers too ridiculously high. Found them to be very forgiving and liked the feel of the shafts however and I feel these would help a lot of golfers. I sold them to a friend of mine who I’ve played with once a week all summer. He loves them. Needed to get the ball higher and he must of thanked me 6 or 7 times.

Guys & Gals let me tell ya something.   I took my set (5-PW)  of these puppies out for a maiden voyage today and had zero expectations other than they looked like a fun set of sticks. I shot 38 + 39 = 77 first time out with these bad boys!  They're fricking cheating if you ask me.....  😉  I did hit about 12 balls on the range before we went off so I wasn't exactly stone cold new to em.  One of my playing partners made the comment, "well you sure did hit em well however I couldn't get past the looks".  He played college golf 20 + years and a 100 lbs ago.  I beat him by 12 strokes so I asked him, how do they look now? 😆  My Launcher XL irons may be a tad longer as they are a tad stronger in the loft category.  Oh and did I tell you I took 1st place in our points outing today along with a closeup on a par 3. I I'm playing again tomorrow so I'll report back on whether my little sub 80 score with these new to me puppies was a fluke. If you're someone who likes to play golf and have fun shooting good scores, you need to consider these. Seriously......    I mean seriously!!!    I have a 4 iron on the way to complete my set and I'm looking forward to pounding that little yellow Maxfli Tour ball into oblivion.    

Cleveland

I hit these at a local indoor facility on TrackMan 4.  They had ladies shafts in them but I had to try them.  After getting accustomed to how the shafts loaded, we had some fun.  I literally looked at the others and said, “What are we doing playing traditional irons?  Seriously?  What are we doing?” 

I hit the 5iron thingy 230yds! It did feel a bit like cheating.  I would love to hit them outdoors to see how they launch/spin, but we kept going back to that bay to hit them.

Instagram:  @tony_rosselli_

:SuperSpeed:Training

Pre training max driver speed: 124mph

Current: 130mph

WITB:

Driver: :ping-small:G425 Max, 9*

Woods: :taylormade-small: 2007 Burner TP 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z765 4-PW (1 degree flat) with KBS $-130 shafts

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 50/12/F, 54/10/S and 58/12/D

Putter:  L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1

9 hours ago, DriverBreaker said:

I hit these at a local indoor facility on TrackMan 4.  They had ladies shafts in them but I had to try them.  After getting accustomed to how the shafts loaded, we had some fun.  I literally looked at the others and said, “What are we doing playing traditional irons?  Seriously?  What are we doing?” 

I hit the 5iron thingy 230yds! It did feel a bit like cheating.  I would love to hit them outdoors to see how they launch/spin, but we kept going back to that bay to hit them.

Yea these irons are no joke!   I'm glad to see a 2 handicap taking time to hit these irons.  Personally I believe more folks should give these irons a chance and not worry about the size but focus more on the results. 

Cleveland

5 hours ago, ole gray said:

Yea these irons are no joke!   I'm glad to see a 2 handicap taking time to hit these irons.  Personally I believe more folks should give these irons a chance and not worry about the size but focus more on the results. 

Still have my eyes on these. Picked up some D7 irons for a song but considering flipping them to pull these off.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 10/10/2022 at 5:44 PM, ole gray said:

Guys & Gals let me tell ya something.   I took my set (5-PW)  of these puppies out for a maiden voyage today and had zero expectations other than they looked like a fun set of sticks. I shot 38 + 39 = 77 first time out with these bad boys!  They're fricking cheating if you ask me.....  😉  I did hit about 12 balls on the range before we went off so I wasn't exactly stone cold new to em.  One of my playing partners made the comment, "well you sure did hit em well however I couldn't get past the looks".  He played college golf 20 + years and a 100 lbs ago.  I beat him by 12 strokes so I asked him, how do they look now? 😆  My Launcher XL irons may be a tad longer as they are a tad stronger in the loft category.  Oh and did I tell you I took 1st place in our points outing today along with a closeup on a par 3. I I'm playing again tomorrow so I'll report back on whether my little sub 80 score with these new to me puppies was a fluke. If you're someone who likes to play golf and have fun shooting good scores, you need to consider these. Seriously......    I mean seriously!!!    I have a 4 iron on the way to complete my set and I'm looking forward to pounding that little yellow Maxfli Tour ball into oblivion.    

Bill, how did these stack up on distance.  I had a set of previous generation Launchers and loved everything about them except that they were shorter for me throughout the set.  Swapped them out for some Ping G710's after following reviews on here and gained the distance back, but lost some of the forgiveness.  I'm forever looking for the optimum set for my game and probably will be until I hang my spikes up.  LOL

18 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Still have my eyes on these. Picked up some D7 irons for a song but considering flipping them to pull these off.

You won't regret it partner!

Cleveland

9 hours ago, kgv0622 said:

Bill, how did these stack up on distance.  I had a set of previous generation Launchers and loved everything about them except that they were shorter for me throughout the set.  Swapped them out for some Ping G710's after following reviews on here and gained the distance back, but lost some of the forgiveness.  I'm forever looking for the optimum set for my game and probably will be until I hang my spikes up.  LOL

My pitching wedge on my Cleveland XL Launchers is 43 & my Halos 44 so yea the stronger loft will add some distance however what I'm seeing is not a significant amount to have any concerns with.  The Launcher 7 iron is 29 while the Halo is 30 so it's pretty darn close. What I enjoy about the Halos is the nice high ball flight and the accuracy they provide.  They won't win the longest contest however no doubt they will hold their own and then some in the playability contest.  Hell is playability even a word? 😳   I shot 84 yesterday with only my second round with the Halos and if my tee shots had been more in play and my green side decisions better, it could have been below 80 again.  

Note:  It's a good thing the Tour players don't game the Halos because the USGA would be putting them on the illegal list......... 😁

Cleveland

Hey @ole gray, did you remove the couterbalance wight from the Halos like you did on your XL Launchers?

Edited by Parshooter36

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

19 hours ago, Parshooter36 said:

Hey @ole gray, did you remove the couterbalance wight from the Halos like you did on your XL Launchers?

No I have not done so yet however it could be something I consider in the future. I'm not a fan of the Counter Balance so we shall see .

Cleveland

On 10/12/2022 at 3:31 PM, Parshooter36 said:

These irons are a pure delight to game even with the counter balance however I will be trimming the CB off the butt end tomorrow.  I'll post up results once I've had some game time with the 1/2 inch short accuracy version. 

Cleveland

Following up after trimming off 1/2 inch off butt end to remove counter balance.  For ME, I see no change in performance with this modification other than maybe a tad more accuracy.   These irons want to go straight however my miss is left when I try to step on the pedal a little too hard. As for distance there is very little if any change in my club selection for my average distances.  I've heard that shorter clubs affect distances however when you strike the club more often in the center of the face distance loss is not an issue.  Maybe distance gain is more like it. Anyways these irons are staying in the bag as they're too much fun to boom satellite high iron shots into the greens.  I still have my Cleveland XL Launcher irons and they are definitely not going anywhere as they provide more options with shot flight, work-ability, etc. 

Cleveland

On 10/11/2022 at 8:57 PM, kgv0622 said:

I had an earlier version and had the same issue you did. Look into getting the lofts adjusted if you buy. You might just end up with that unicorn you’re looking for. 😉

I ordered these 2* strong 4-DW. Hated the 4i, and traded it in for their 4H. The ball flight is perfect now with the 5-DW, and the distance is very nice. 

Driver:            :ping-small: G425 Max 10.5*

Fairway:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 3HL & 7W

Hybrids:        :taylormade-small: Stealth 22* & 25*

Irons:             :mizuno-small:  JPX 923 HM 6-AW

Wedges:        :ping-small: Tour Issue Glide 4.0 54-12

:ping-small:  Tour Issue Glide 4.0 58-10

Putter:           :EVNROLL: ER7  34”

• 1 month later...

I have to follow up on these Halo irons as they are sooooooo fricking fun to game.  I also have a set of the Launcher XL which are more for the lower handicap player although I have had great success with them at a 12 handicap.   It's sort of like do you want a beautiful women but one that has the personality of a flea on a coon hound (biting and bitching all the time) or a normal looking gal who cooks good, plays golf, and feels like your pal.  Well the Halo irons feel like a pal who helps you through those tough stretches of golf when your game needs some love.  Trust me these irons will bring a smile to your face when you see those nice high shots landing on the green like a butterfly with sore feet! Sure the Halo's might have a big arse but suck up your vanity and play better golf. Especially you old farts who are hanging on to your beautiful sleek looking Jaguar butt irons.  You might be surprised but not everyone is looking in your bag to see how pretty all your stuff is. I can guarantee you they will notice when your ball striking improves and your scores go down.  Merry Christmas ya'll!

Cleveland

• 2 months later...

Has anybody with a higher swing speed played with these? I'm a high handicapper with plenty of trouble with dispersion, but I've always had good speed. I have no problem getting height with my ping g400s, so I'm wondering if the halos would launch too high? 

Has anybody with a faster swing tried them with a lower spin shaft to keep the ball flight down? Thanks in advance!

On 2/24/2023 at 7:10 PM, theguyinbox said:

Has anybody with a higher swing speed played with these? I'm a high handicapper with plenty of trouble with dispersion, but I've always had good speed. I have no problem getting height with my ping g400s, so I'm wondering if the halos would launch too high? 

Has anybody with a faster swing tried them with a lower spin shaft to keep the ball flight down? Thanks in advance!

Mark Crossfield has a pretty high swing speed so check out his thoughts here:  

Cleveland

Went to the local golf shop and hit a few shots with the Halos. They didn't have an extra stiff shaft to put on it so I had to go with stiff. They seemed like they were really hot. The seven iron was carrying in the 190 to 195 range. Still plenty of spin and height though.

They were very straight though. I demoed the stealth HDs last week and had some trouble pulling those. These seemed to work better for me. They don't have as much offset as the HDs so I guess that would make sense. I might pull the trigger on these this week.