Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

GPS & Yardage Devices

fixyurdivot

Electronic Distance Devices - Pro Game  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time to allow use of approved distance devices for the pro game?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Would the use of such devices speed up play?

• yes
    • no
  3. 3. Would using such devices lower average scoring?

• yes
    • no
  4. 4. Which type should be allowed

• GPS only
    • Laser Range Finder
    • Any the USGA approves

While the debate rages on about driving distances driver shaft length limitation, and possible bi-furcation, how about another log on the fire?  Is it time to let pro's use electronic/GPS yardage devices - similar to the college game?  Personally, I find the game so much easier and faster using my V2.  I recall the "good ol' days" of finding marker stakes, painted rocks, the dwarf pine tree, and sprinklers to start the pace off.  Yup, even a change resistant guy like me whole heartedly gets behind this improvement.  I pretty much know what I'm hitting as I'm walking to my ball.  

When I watch pro events, players and caddies are still having to walk off yardages.... why?  Isn't it time to allow use of the now nearly universally used distance devices?  What would be the reasons not to?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Since ditching Arccos, first round out was so strange. Luckily I had a free round of golf logix to use. I don’t know if I can go back to the good ol days, although my wife wonders isn’t that what makes you a good golfer, being able to know where you are reading markers and such. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

Like the driver limitation local rules are used to control their use and have already been used in pro events.    I am fine with the pros using the devices, but I don't think it will impact the pace of play.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

4 minutes ago, rbsiedsc said:

Since ditching Arccos, first round out was so strange. Luckily I had a free round of golf logix to use. I don’t know if I can go back to the good ol days, although my wife wonders isn’t that what makes you a good golfer, being able to know where you are reading markers and such. 

I agree. Previously I used a Golf Buddy that worked great when it wasn't trying to reacquire a signal...  usually right when I needed it 😐. The V2 has been bulletproof and provides just enough info.  Playing a round without it would leave me feeling lost - I've gotten that dependent on it. 

7 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Like the driver limitation local rules are used to control their use and have already been used in pro events.    I am fine with the pros using the devices, but I don't think it will impact the pace of play.  

Why just a local rule and why don't you think they would speed up play?

3 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Why just a local rule and why don't you think they would speed up play?

It already is a local rule so any event can say they are allowing distance measuring devices.  Rangefinders and GPS devices were allowed during the PGA championship and other PGA of America events (LPGA and Champions tours).   

I don't think it will speed up play because distance to the flag is only a small piece of the information that is used to determine the shot the player is hitting.     Many times the caddie has walked off the distance prior to the player getting to the ball plus walking the distance off doesn't really take that much more time than using a rangefinder

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

36 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

While the debate rages on about driving distances driver shaft length limitation, and possible bi-furcation, how about another log on the fire?  Is it time to let pro's use electronic/GPS yardage devices - similar to the college game?  Personally, I find the game so much easier and faster using my V2.  I recall the "good ol' days" of finding marker stakes, painted rocks, the dwarf pine tree, and sprinklers to start the pace off.  Yup, even a change resistant guy like me whole heartedly gets behind this improvement.  I pretty much know what I'm hitting as I'm walking to my ball.  

When I watch pro events, players and caddies are still having to walk off yardages.... why?  Isn't it time to allow use of the now nearly universally used distance devices?  What would be the reasons not to?

Even if they are able to use laser the caddies/players are still going to walk off distance. They pick different spots to land etc... There will be a few players who it will help speed up but overall the pace of play won't change much. All that being said there is no reason for them not to be allowed. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

6 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I have no problem with pros using distance measuring devices, and I don't think it will speed up play.  I really don't see any rule changes happening.

My course just painted the markers for 100, 150, 200 in the middle of the fairways today.  I never see anyone using them, and I never do either... except when I find my cart sitting on a marker and I say " I think it's about 150 to the middle."  😂   My wife and I walked 11 holes today.  From the 150 marker I walked to my ball... 135 and it agreed with my Garmin S62.  Nice to know that they put that marker in the correct spot.  🤣

I heavily rely on my S62, but I have showed up at the course without it... played... and shot the same scores playing based on feel and course knowledge.  I don't really need it on my course, but I would spend a lot more time figuring out yardages at other courses without it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I personally like hand held GPS, but don't use it on every shot as I did at first.

I play almost entirely at my own club, and I've been pretty much everywhere on my own course.

Now, if I were accurate and precise enough for the exact yardage to give me a shot at hitting flagsticks, it would be valuable on every shot.  I just want to pick a club, however, and most of the time, I can do that without checking GPS.  Not doing it every time means not using all the functions--something as simple as keeping score, for example.  Keeping stats is way beyond my interest level.  I'm having fun, not taking a course in sampling and probability.

But I still use it when I'm not sure, and it's very valuable for the rare rounds on another course, virtually all of which seem to be programmed.  It's also good when you really nail a drive on the screws and are curious as to just how far it went..  

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball