Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golf pants

JerryB

What constitutes golf pants?

I'm a guy who's always been pretty low-brow.  I work in a warehouse and have never owned a collared shirt until I started golfing last year.

I like hitting thrift stores and while golf shorts and shirts are easy to find, I have trouble identifying golf pants.  Any time I see pants that kinda look like they fit the bill they just turn out to be dress pants.  

I know I'm overthinking and worrying too much, but I'm just curious as to what makes golf pants different.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

1 hour ago, JerryB said:

What constitutes golf pants?

Any time I see pants that kinda look like they fit the bill they just turn out to be dress pants.  

I know I'm overthinking and worrying too much, but I'm just curious as to what makes golf pants different.

Usually golf specific pants have some slightly different features. Moisture wicking materials, some type of rubber grip in the waistband to keep your shirt from untucking. The Nike brand has a little v cut on the outside seam of the pants down by the shoe. This prevents the pants from bunching up. Some of the pants have a stretch material or stretch waistband as well. 

Granted a lot of regular pants are adding some of these features. 

Don't worry about if they are golf specific or not. As long as they are comfortable your good to go.

You can get good bargains if you hunt around. The PGA tour brand from PGA Superstore, Ben Hogan from Walmart, Under Armor, Nike, can be found in Ross or Marshall's and Belk has their own golf clothing area their line is ProTour. Their is a good web site called Worldwide Golf Shops. I go right to the clearance section.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

13 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

Usually golf specific pants have some slightly different features. Moisture wicking materials, some type of rubber grip in the waistband to keep your shirt from untucking. The Nike brand has a little v cut on the outside seam of the pants down by the shoe. This prevents the pants from bunching up. Some of the pants have a stretch material or stretch waistband as well. 

Granted a lot of regular pants are adding some of these features. 

Don't worry about if they are golf specific or not. As long as they are comfortable your good to go.

You can get good bargains if you hunt around. The PGA tour brand from PGA Superstore, Ben Hogan from Walmart, Under Armor, Nike, can be found in Ross or Marshall's and Belk has their own golf clothing area their line is ProTour. Their is a good web site called Worldwide Golf Shops. I go right to the clearance section.

I've never had golf-specific pants; been using Dockers Workday Khaki Smart 360 FLEX pants for a few years; get them on Amazon in a variety of flavors and they are frequently on sale.  Mostly cotton with a stretch waistband.  I don't like the feel of the synthetic material on my legs below my knees for some reason.  The fabric is a little heavier, but if the weather is warmer, I'm wearing shorts anyway.  The one feature I like is the hidden zipper pocket by the right side pocket; I can put my car key fob there and not have to find my key to open/close trunk/doors.  Have to remember to take it out before pants go in the laundry... that would be expensive!!!  

My problem is I am losing weight faster than the pants wear out.  I used to get size 44; just ordered size 34.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I wear only pants when I golf.  I do have some specific "golf pants" but I usually wear my work dress pants on the course (makes it easy to go from the office to the course 🙂 ).  But it isn't like I'm wearing a 3 piece and a pocket square to work.  My normal work/course attire consists of a poly blend dress pant... like Penguin, Michael Kors, Perry Ellis or Haggar.  The stay cool enough to wear in the summer months since I choose not to subject the world to my tan-less legs. 

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

5 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I wear only pants when I golf.  I do have some specific "golf pants" but I usually wear my work dress pants on the course (makes it easy to go from the office to the course 🙂 ).  But it isn't like I'm wearing a 3 piece and a pocket square to work.  My normal work/course attire consists of a poly blend dress pant... like Penguin, Michael Kors, Perry Ellis or Haggar.  The stay cool enough to wear in the summer months since I choose not to subject the world to my tan-less legs. 

How do you get away with not wearing a shirt and shoes & only wear pants?  🤣🤣

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

In the hot summer months, I tend to wear shorts, but I just hopped on the joggers trend near the end of the season.  They are so comfortable and the nicer ones look really good.  I was super surprised by how nice they are to play in.

Cobra LTDx LS, Nicklaus AirMax woods, knock-off DCI irons, Adams wedges, Odyssey blade putter

5 minutes ago, tdroma98 said:

My club's dress code is pretty loose 🤣

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I wear pants in the spring and fall, and shorts almost all the time during the summer months. I did, however, get a pair of Primo joggers for Christmas this year that I am going to try out once the summer rolls around for 2023. I can't believe how lightweight they are, and they have a great 4 way stretch to them. I have a feeling it won't be my last pair. Not that it is pants related, but I also go an UNRL Crossover II hoodie that I am really looking forward to wearing when temps are cooler during the Wisconsin golf season (yes, I am one of those on the hoodie bandwagon) 😂

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

4 hours ago, tdroma98 said:

A bit off topic - but it reminded me: Many years ago we were having a sales meeting (hotel) and announced that jackets and ties were required   I had a smart ass salesmen show up to the meeting in a jacket and tie along with his tighty whities (no pants) 😱. Good thing he had exceeded his sales quota. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 12/24/2022 at 11:50 AM, Kenny B said:

I've never had golf-specific pants; been using Dockers Workday Khaki Smart 360 FLEX pants for a few years; get them on Amazon in a variety of flavors and they are frequently on sale.  Mostly cotton with a stretch waistband.  I don't like the feel of the synthetic material on my legs below my knees for some reason.  The fabric is a little heavier, but if the weather is warmer, I'm wearing shorts anyway.  The one feature I like is the hidden zipper pocket by the right side pocket; I can put my car key fob there and not have to find my key to open/close trunk/doors.  Have to remember to take it out before pants go in the laundry... that would be expensive!!!  

My problem is I am losing weight faster than the pants wear out.  I used to get size 44; just ordered size 34.  

Holy jamolies that's a huge (no pun intended) weight loss. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Holy jamolies that's a huge (no pun intended) weight loss. 

Yeah, that was over the past 16 months.  I've been wearing shirts, pants and golf shorts this year that are one to two sizes too big.  The size 34 pants arrived today.  They probably fit like they should, but I'm not used to that snugness.  I had been wearing size 38 and decided to skip size 36 this time.  Since they fit, I need to order a couple more colors.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

6 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

A bit off topic - but it reminded me: Many years ago we were having a sales meeting (hotel) and announced that jackets and ties were required   I had a smart ass salesmen show up to the meeting in a jacket and tie along with his tighty whities (no pants) 😱. Good thing he had exceeded his sales quota. 

Your guy couldn’t do that today.  He’d be arrested by the Woke police and drummed out of the company by the ever present HR department.  Oh how I long for the days when humor in the workplace was welcome.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

11 minutes ago, bellken said:

IMO, golf pants are overpriced pants sold by golf clothing company's. For golf, I will wear pants from the Gap, Costco, Uniqlo, etc. None are golf specific, but, they are all suitable for golf.

Just like almost everything that can be made for a "specific" sport or activity, it costs more when it is "for" that sport/activity. I wear Lee Tri-Flex shorts that I bought at Kohl's for everyday wear. Super comfortable, lightweight, have have some stretch in the waist and material. Not made for golf, but definitely get the job done. That being said, I can't say I don't own a couple pairs of Under Armour golf shorts and a pair of Adidas golf shorts. I do buy UA golf pants, but I can wear them for work as well, so they serve a double purpose.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I like Columbia's convertible pants when not wearing shorts, they're great,  too hot and they can be made into shorts but the best part is I think they only weigh about 1 pound as pants and for walkers weight is everything.   Problem is the company has stopped making those and I need a new pair, and trying to stock up what I can find,  and having trouble finding the size I need listed on alternative shopping sites.  Panic time as I watch what's left dwindle away...  😠

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

Most golf pants use lighter performance fabrics that move with you (stretch) versus the more stiff cotton or cotton/poly blends that are found in most dress pants and Dockers. Now is the time to invest in some golf specific pants as many of the online golf shops are closing out their pants at great prices. I just bought 3 pairs from Carl's Golfland for about $150 total and you get free returns/exchanges if they don't fit. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

2 hours ago, Headhammer said:

Most golf pants use lighter performance fabrics that move with you (stretch) versus the more stiff cotton or cotton/poly blends that are found in most dress pants and Dockers. Now is the time to invest in some golf specific pants as many of the online golf shops are closing out their pants at great prices. I just bought 3 pairs from Carl's Golfland for about $150 total and you get free returns/exchanges if they don't fit. 

My issue is inseam size - a 29" is borderline long and I don't like pants dragging over my shoes. checked PGASS and GG - no go. Will try Carls. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

2 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

My issue is inseam size - a 29" is borderline long and I don't like pants dragging over my shoes. checked PGASS and GG - no go. Will try Carls. 

I know the feeling trying to find 29".  A 30" is borderline long on my right leg, but a 29" is a little short on my left leg... broke my right ankle when I was 11 and it's shorter than my left leg.  

14 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

No go at Carls - guess I'll make friends with a good tailor. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

5 hours ago, sixcat said:

What kind of sorcery is this?!?!? ^^^  Care to share any secrets to your magic?

Awesome accomplishment whatever you have been doing. 

Not really a secret... eat less, exercise more.

I detail it in the Weight Loss Thread, but basically in Aug 2021 after my 2nd covid shot, the doc said I was borderline Type 2 diabetes.  I didn't really go on any diet; I've done that before.  I don't eat as much or as often.  Used to eat breakfast every day (I've always heard that it was the most important meal of the day; sometimes I have it, mostly I don't.  I try to have my main meal around 4pm, then nothing until the next day at 4pm but I usually end up with a snack of nuts and cheese around 1-2pm.  Nothing eliminated at the main meal, but I do watch the sugar.   Never drank pop, even diet, but reduced the amount and type of beer.  

I started a stretching and strength routine for golf and I began walking more on and off the course.  At my last visit to the doc in October I requested to quit taking metformin, and my blood sugar readings are basically the same as when I was taking it.  A1C is down from 7.2 to 6.1.  I'll find out what is is without metformin at my next visit on Jan 13.

4 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

No go at Carls - guess I'll make friends with a good tailor. 

Around here many good dry cleaners offer a basic length shortening, maybe even for less than a tailor shop would.    It's probably the simplest, and quickest, tailoring job there is- shortening legs without cuffs.  Odd numbers in waist and length measurements are rare creatures these days but not back in the old days they weren't. 

Edited by MacTourney

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

19 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

19 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I know the feeling trying to find 29".  A 30" is borderline long on my right leg, but a 29" is a little short on my left leg... broke my right ankle when I was 11 and it's shorter than my left leg.  

Buy the 30's or 31's and have them hemmed. Problem solved

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

Hell at my course we've got guys out in jeans and corduroy pants. One of my buddies who I got my name from, used to bust people's balls telling someone wearing jeans it's a farmer's course. Now I see him wearing jeans out there. You can get away with any pair of pants if you want to. I tend to go with athletic stretchy pants myself and since I'm an under armor snob, I usually get those. Sometimes they're golf pants and sometimes they are thermalish outdoor athletic pants. Some of the companies like Adidas don't have my fit and if I have to take them to a tailor it just adds to the price.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

2 hours ago, Headhammer said:

Buy the 30's or 31's and have them hemmed. Problem solved

I've done it in the past - golf pants generally taper towards the bottom and the y never seem to look right after being tailored. . 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

16 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

I've done it in the past - golf pants generally taper towards the bottom and the y never seem to look right after being tailored. . 

If that's your experience, your pants aren't being tailored. They are being cut and hemmed. Very big difference. 

I have watched mine get tailored on occasion. For every half-inch they take off in length, they take an equal amount off in taper beginning in the crotch area and tapering down to the leg opening. To be honest, the end result looks better than the factory issued pants. It's a cleaner, more tailored look. The fascinating thing is, it hasn't cost me that much more than having them cut and hemmed. 

On 12/27/2022 at 8:03 PM, Kenny B said:

Yeah, that was over the past 16 months.  I've been wearing shirts, pants and golf shorts this year that are one to two sizes too big.  The size 34 pants arrived today.  They probably fit like they should, but I'm not used to that snugness.  I had been wearing size 38 and decided to skip size 36 this time.  Since they fit, I need to order a couple more colors.

That is AWESOME Kenny.  Getting ready to re-invigorate my weight loss journey after losing some traction this year end... Congrats on the 34's!!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

27 minutes ago, sixcat said:

If that's your experience, your pants aren't being tailored. They are being cut and hemmed. Very big difference. 

I have watched mine get tailored on occasion. For every half-inch they take off in length, they take an equal amount off in taper beginning in the crotch area and tapering down to the leg opening. To be honest, the end result looks better than the factory issued pants. It's a cleaner, more tailored look. The fascinating thing is, it hasn't cost me that much more than having them cut and hemmed. 

I'm not really a "tailored" kind of golfer since I don't play country clubs.  I also hate the look of some of the pants that I see on the DP World Tour events from some European pros.  I don't think the tapered lags look good on them, and I know they wouldn't look good on me!! 🤣  tweedledee & treedledum

TWeedle01cap-954917457.jpeg.8acaf914679311c9ed14a20ecc2516a9.jpeg

21 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Nothing eliminated at the main meal, but I do watch the sugar.   Never drank pop, even diet, but reduced the amount and type of beer.  

Sugar and salt are the keys to success for me.  the more refined sugar and added salt I can eliminate, the less I crave, which really they key for me.  Having said that... my holidays were filled with sugar and salt.  😕

As far as pants fit are concerned... That pic of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum strike pretty close to home for me... haha.  No matter how much weight I lose (~140 lb since 2017) I have that "front butt" below my belt line.  haha.  That is my penance for 40 years of self abuse with food.

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1