Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Let’s talk about graphite iron shafts!

What are you using and why? I purchased a set of second hand irons that came with graphite irons shafts. I was immediately planning on reshafting them as they were very light and fairly whippy. I fell into this trap of thinking there was NO WAY I would play them, decided while waiting on ferrules to take them out and I fell in love with how they felt. Now I want graphite in my irons, I still wanna put new ones in them that are slightly heavier but I’m hooked on graphite. So tell me what your playing, I typically play nippon modus 120, anything have a similar profile out there? Let me know what you guys are rocking! 

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

I currently have Wilson D9 Forged irons with Nippon Modus 120 as fitted to lower my spin. Precious to this I was playing a 30 year old MacGregor set with graphite shafts that my Dad had handed down to me. I like both feels but the graphite shafts were definitely lighter than the steel shafts. I am enjoying the steel shafts but know that the time will come that I will need graphite shafts as I get to that age. 

Ignacio

24 minutes ago, srooch2 said:

Now I want graphite in my irons, I still wanna put new ones in them that are slightly heavier but I’m hooked on graphite. So tell me what you’re playing, I typically play nippon modus 120, anything have a similar profile out there? Let me know what you guys are rocking! 

the guys at MGS HQ used Fujikura Pro shafts and they were really nice.   I have the stock Honma Vizard shafts in my irons.  Lots of graphite shafts available in different profiles and weight ranges.  

14 minutes ago, Ignacio said:

but know that the time will come that I will need graphite shafts as I get to that age. 

Graphite iron shafts have no relationship to age.  Graphite shafts work for any golfer; the only negative would be cost.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I've got graphite shafts on my new incoming clubs having played only steel shafts previously.  My misses tend to be chunky and I've noticed the past couple years that I have wrist and forearm soreness early in the season.  I'm hoping graphite helps to alleviate that somewhat.  Was also just a fan of how they felt when I swung them.  Hoping to get them in the next week or so.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

20 hours ago, cnosil said:

the guys at MGS HQ used Fujikura Pro shafts and they were really nice.   I have the stock Honma Vizard shafts in my irons.  Lots of graphite shafts available in different profiles and weight ranges.  

Graphite iron shafts have no relationship to age.  Graphite shafts work for any golfer; the only negative would be cost.  

I’ll look into the pro shafts, thanks

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

On 6/6/2023 at 9:37 AM, cnosil said:

... While true for some, some quality heavier graphite irons shafts are no more expensive than steel or a few dollars more. Some steel Project X and graphite Recoils are $55 each. My personal favorites the graphite Steelfiber shafts are $60 while steel KBS $-Taper Chrome are $65. These are all .355 and .370 graphite shafts are even less expensive. 

... Having played graphite in my irons for over 20 years now I could never go back to steel. For me performance is better, feel is better and I have no tendonitis issues playing graphite. I have used heavier weights descending from 130gms to 105, 100 and settled at 95gms. I have some 80gm Steelfibers I will install in my current irons and looking forward to playing them. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I switched to graphite in my irons and wedges last fall after battling tendonitis in my left arm most of the summer. Within just a few weeks, my tendonitis was almost completely cleared up. The only steel shaft I have now is in my putter.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

I switched to graphite for a while due to elbow issues and they really helped alleviate things. That said, I switched back to steel last year and noticed an immediate difference with tighter dispersion. 

I do think that if/when I get new irons, I'll look hard at heavier graphite shafts. I'm not getting any younger and the less wear and tear on my body, the better.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

While we all seem to agree that there are physical/health related benefits, it still needs to be stressed that graphite shafts come in a wide variety of flexes, profiles, and weights and aren’t just for senior golfers.  Switching to graphite does not mean there will be a decrease in performance compared to steel.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

20 minutes ago, cnosil said:

While we all seem to agree that there are physical/health related benefits, it still needs to be stressed that graphite shafts come in a wide variety of flexes, profiles, and weights and aren’t just for senior golfers.  Switching to graphite does not mean there will be a decrease in performance compared to steel.   

There was a time in 2016-2018 where juniors were making the move to graphite. Not sure if that continued or not. 

Danny Le from UST made a good point several years back. He said you play graphite in your woods and hybrids why not in your irons 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I switched to graphite for a while due to elbow issues and they really helped alleviate things. That said, I switched back to steel last year and noticed an immediate difference with tighter dispersion. 

I do think that if/when I get new irons, I'll look hard at heavier graphite shafts. I'm not getting any younger and the less wear and tear on my body, the better.

... Pretty interesting and I wonder what made the difference for you, because it most likely isn't the material. Again considering the best ball strikers in the world on the LPGA almost all play graphite in their irons including Nelly Korda and JY Ko hitting 63 consecutive greens in regulation, a record that will never be broken. As cnosil said, there are many different flexes, profiles and weights and many of us have found graphite to be more accurate with tighter dispersion than steel. 

1 minute ago, chisag said:

... Pretty interesting and I wonder what made the difference for you, because it most likely isn't the material. Again considering the best ball strikers in the world on the LPGA almost all play graphite in their irons including Nelly Korda and JY Ko hitting 63 consecutive greens in regulation, a record that will never be broken. As cnosil said, there are many different flexes, profiles and weights and many of us have found graphite to be more accurate with tighter dispersion than steel. 

I definitely feel like it was the weight difference - 50g to 85g. I tend to get a little quick in the transition and the heavier steel helped out with that IMO. My plan is to *try* and hold off on irons for 2 more years (lol yeah RIGHT) and do a whole bag fitting for my 50th, top to bottom.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

3 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I definitely feel like it was the weight difference - 50g to 85g. I tend to get a little quick in the transition and the heavier steel helped out with that IMO. My plan is to *try* and hold off on irons for 2 more years (lol yeah RIGHT) and do a whole bag fitting for my 50th, top to bottom.

... Wow, that is a huge jump and I can see why your dispersion suffered. I have found 85-110gms to kinda be a sweet spot for those with a relatively repeatable swing and switching from steel. Steelfiber i80's are actually 85gms and are a favorite on the LPGA tour. Anything below 85gms and performance changed for me because they were just too light and my rhythm suffered. A fitting sounds like a great idea. 

On 6/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, srooch2 said:

What are you using and why? I purchased a set of second hand irons that came with graphite irons shafts. I was immediately planning on reshafting them as they were very light and fairly whippy. I fell into this arrow of thinking there was NO WAY I would play them, decided while waiting on ferrules to take them out and I fell in love with how they felt. Now I want graphite in my irons, I still wanna put new ones in them that are slightly heavier but I’m hooked on graphite. So tell me what your playing, I typically play nippon modus 120, anything have a similar profile out there? Let me know what you guys are rocking! 

At age 74, I am a dedicated graphite composite shaft player (even in my wedges, for the most part). I like the feel of heavier graphite iron shafts, and use 100 to 115 gram graphite shafts in my wedges, but since the Paradym irons for which I was so fortunate to be selected as a tester are not offered with any graphite shafts heavier than 75 grams (marked “75” on the label, but actually 78 grams), that is what I am playing. 

Prior to getting the Paradym irons, my “gamer” irons had 95 gram graphite shafts in them, and my wedges had 115 gram graphite shafts. I did find it somewhat difficult to adjust to these lighter-weight PX HZRDUS 75 graphite shafts in the Paradym irons, and I really have to concentrate on maintaining a more deliberate (or “steady”) tempo with these irons. When I start swinging “out of my shoes”, I definitely get in more trouble and start hitting long-distance pulls with the irons.  I didn’t want to make any changes to the Paradym irons during the testing period, but if these irons stay in my bag long term, those shafts are sure to get changed out for some heavier graphites.

SIDENOTE: My history with graphite (or, more accurately “composite”) iron shafts goes back more than 20 years, beginning with ultra-heavyweight G. Loomis shafts in the late 1990s. I also played two different 105+ gram graphite shaft models from Aldila, including the NV Green MLTi Tour iron shafts, before a 10+ year stint with Aerotech SteelFiber shafts (110-S in the irons, with 125s in my wedges). My favorite ever graphite iron shafts were the now-discontinued SteelFiber Player’s Spec shafts, which were a graduated-weight model, beginning at 93-94 grams in the longer irons to 108-110 grams in the wedges. I still have a well-worn set of Adams Idea Forged irons with those shafts installed in them, but besides the fact that the shafts are too stiff for my current game, the club faces are pretty badly worn in and around the sweet spots. Those may be my #1 favorite set of irons that I ever played, and I definitely shot many of the lowest scores in my golfing history while using them! This is due, in no small part, to those fabulous SteelFiber Player’s Spec graphite shafts.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

I agree, while I have some back issues, I am not making the switch for health reasons, they felt amazing and so much better than steel. It’s the first time I was almost addicted to hitting my irons. I was craving it, they felt that much better. 

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Just now, srooch2 said:

I agree, while I have some back issues, I am not making the switch for health reasons, they felt amazing and so much better than steel. It’s the first time I was almost addicted to hitting my irons. I was craving it almost, they felt that much better. 

... When I reluctantly made the switch almost 20 years ago due to some elbow tendonitis, it was the amazing feel and improved performance that really surprised me and even if tendonitis would never be an issue I would be happily playing graphite in my irons. 

I know Steelfiber is an option. UST has some good stuff in the Recoil line. I would really like to find a good quality, high bend point graphite shaft that doesn't break the bank. And if I get the set of irons I am looking at, I will also need them to be .355. Fittings have told me I need the higher bend point. And yes, I can get graphite in the new irons, but they aren't high bend point sticks. So I will probably need to swap them to fit my swing. I am looking at the Launcher XLs. The MOI for them is crazy high, and I hit them well in the net a few weeks ago when I was out looking at sticks. I believe the Launcher XLs are .355, so I will need that in my new shafts. I miss the days when all wood shafts were .335 and all irons were .370. Those were the days...

12 minutes ago, therod said:

I know Steelfiber is an option. UST has some good stuff in the Recoil line. I would really like to find a good quality, high bend point graphite shaft that doesn't break the bank. And if I get the set of irons I am looking at, I will also need them to be .355. Fittings have told me I need the higher bend point. And yes, I can get graphite in the new irons, but they aren't high bend point sticks. So I will probably need to swap them to fit my swing. I am looking at the Launcher XLs. The MOI for them is crazy high, and I hit them well in the net a few weeks ago when I was out looking at sticks. I believe the Launcher XLs are .355, so I will need that in my new shafts. I miss the days when all wood shafts were .335 and all irons were .370. Those were the days...

Going to be very hard to find a high bend point graphite iron shaft. It’s not a common design and there’s really been no need for that type of design in irons. The only option I’m aware of it steelfiber i110, but may be mis remembering on that

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1