Lob Wedge for High Handicapper?

Are we talkin' removing a club at the top of the bag to carry SW and LW or replacing the SW with a LW?  For the former, I'd say it depends on what kind of gap you're creating at the top of the bag.  For the latter, I'd suggest sticking with the SW.  It should be a little more versatile and I'd assume it's more likely you'll be at a SW distance hitting into a green than LW distance.

Most high handicaps don’t need a high lofted wedge.

A 56° should be their highest lofted wedge. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

17 hours ago, TomHarris said:

Does it make sense for a high handicapper to try to use a Lob Wedge, or should they stick with the Sand Wedge?

I will 2nd   RickyBobby_PR, the highest lofted wedge I play is a 56.   I find the margin for error with more lofted wedges far too thin.  I would say this for many including other than high handicappers, but that gets to be a personal choice.  How hard those wedges must be swung, to travel the ball 10 yards, opens the door WIDE, for thin shots, and going right underneath the ball.  I approach it and say to myself, I will not try the,  "I would say" very low percentage, more floppy shot with a 60, 64, to get it close and one putt, I will just take my medicine, for likely being out of position, get my 56 on, and take my two putt.  If its not for a high loft or flop shot to get over a bunker, I can do everything else effectively with my 56.  I view 60, 64 more as specialties, and I personally find the risk of 40 yard SKULL SHOTS, from 20 feet next to the green, given how hard the swing needs to be not worth the risk.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Agreed on the above takes. I have a 58* as my highest lofted wedge but I spent years playing with my 54* being my only wedge. Best thing a higher handicap could do, in my opinion, is to have a 54* (or thereabouts) and just learn how to make different shots with it. It'll pay off dividends in the long run.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D7 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact

I’m going from a 60.06* to a 58.04*, only because I’m replacing my irons in about 5 weeks. I would not add a lob wedge to remove another club I wanted. But I don’t see anything wrong with carrying a lob wedge if there’s room in the bag, for use short sided over a hazard. I use mine less than once a round, and I’d never use it full swing. The danger of course is blading a lob wedge, but that’s less risky with partial swings IME - though I’ve had that miss nonetheless. My SW is high bounce, my LW is low bounce so I can use it for tight lies. Again I rarely need it, but there are situations where it’s the right choice.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

Likely not necessary for a higher handicapper. I see people with too little skill using LW way too often. That being said, a 60 degree is my go to greenside bunker club and I may use it 2 or 3 other times to attack certain pins or carry or hit over an obstacle. Something I'll always have in the bag. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!

I am a high handicapper, and my 60* is one club i've learned I cant play without.  Maybe its just getting comfortable with it but I use it in the sand, and around the outsides of the green where I want try and pop the ball up and have it stick.  Of course I screw up on these shots sometimes, but I do that with all my clubs, not just my 60*

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:ping-small: i3 5 Wood

:titleist-small:SM7 56*,60*, SM8 52*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

On 6/13/2023 at 2:18 PM, TomHarris said:

Does it make sense for a high handicapper to try to use a Lob Wedge, or should they stick with the Sand Wedge?

From how far, or what circumstances, and are you having trouble getting the ball airborne?  

Good hand action comes from good body action.     

:macgregor-small:  :benhogan-small: :cobra-small:

On 6/13/2023 at 1:18 PM, TomHarris said:

back in the day I bought 1 before I was ready for it but found out I could use it for when opening a club face for chipping or pitching the lob is pre opened so to speak and was more comfortable for me to use and I slowly learned to lob with it as time went by

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

If the above answers haven't made it clear, I'd say it makes sense for some high handicappers, but not necessarily for the majority. 

My wedges are my 48*, 52* and 58*. But that's because my short game (wedges and putter) is the better part of my game and the area I put the most practice into. For a long time, I just used a 48* and 54* and played around with those to figure out how best to play a shot. That's helped a lot now with my ability to use a 58* when I need to.

If you do choose to use a lob wedge as a high handicapper, I'd give a few pieces of advice. 

1. Be comfortable with the knowledge that you're going to mess up some shots...and sometimes, pretty badly. That's totally fine, just recognize it and shake off those shots when they do happen. . . and make sure to apologize to the goose that you skull your 58* into.
  2. Get your putting to a point where you're relatively comfortable from within 15-20 feet (not saying make everything or even a lot from there, but be able to confidently two-putt). This helps your game in general, but especially with a lob wedge since it helps you be confident that no matter how the shot goes, you'll be able to do a relatively good job recovering. 
  3. Be confident in your shot, or be comfortable using a different club for shots your not confident in. Using a lob wedge requires not just technical skill, but a metric crap-ton of confidence. If you're standing over the ball or planning your shot and you're not 100% confident, that's okay. Just be able to recognize that and, for that shot, just use a 54/52/50/48/PW/9I/etc. Then reassess the next time you have the lob wedge out, and the next time, etc. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

4 hours ago, MNUte said:

If the above answers haven't made it clear, I'd say it makes sense for some high handicappers, but not necessarily for the majority. 

My wedges are my 48*, 52* and 58*. But that's because my short game (wedges and putter) is the better part of my game and the area I put the most practice into. For a long time, I just used a 48* and 54* and played around with those to figure out how best to play a shot. That's helped a lot now with my ability to use a 58* when I need to.

If you do choose to use a lob wedge as a high handicapper, I'd give a few pieces of advice. 

1. Be comfortable with the knowledge that you're going to mess up some shots...and sometimes, pretty badly. That's totally fine, just recognize it and shake off those shots when they do happen. . . and make sure to apologize to the goose that you skull your 58* into.
  2. Get your putting to a point where you're relatively comfortable from within 15-20 feet (not saying make everything or even a lot from there, but be able to confidently two-putt). This helps your game in general, but especially with a lob wedge since it helps you be confident that no matter how the shot goes, you'll be able to do a relatively good job recovering. 
  3. Be confident in your shot, or be comfortable using a different club for shots your not confident in. Using a lob wedge requires not just technical skill, but a metric crap-ton of confidence. If you're standing over the ball or planning your shot and you're not 100% confident, that's okay. Just be able to recognize that and, for that shot, just use a 54/52/50/48/PW/9I/etc. Then reassess the next time you have the lob wedge out, and the next time, etc. 

Your Point number 2. is spot on, the best way to get good at 6 foot puts is to get good at lagging inside 2 feet lol. I see a lot of guys swearing by putting practice between 6-10 feet and their lag putting is so bad they really need that 6-10 foot practice. for a novice golfer , struggling golfer, etc. cozying those lags uptight to the hole lifts the weight of the world off your shoulder. IMO 1/2 of a beginners practice at LEAST should be on lags, maybe more and the other half starting by the hole and slowly working away as ability and confidence grows.

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

Just depends if you play that day with money in mind then now just stick to the basics of a sand wedge however if that's not the case then yes trying the the shots you want or need out on the course will help build the confidence you need but I also recommend doing extra practice when not playing such as ridding around the course and chipping on holes and working on the swing itself with the club confidence is key and will help u in the long run its just about getting comfy with he club u have and knowing the damage u can cause by laying shot for a 1 foot putt 

As a high handicapper that has been playing for 20+ years, I feel that if you are just starting out, or have played for some time, you should have a LW, along with a SW, to learn how to execute all the shots available to you. A LW is invaluable when you are in a greenside bunker with a close pin position. I used a 64* LW when I was first starting out, and it taught me well. Now, I have a 58* LW in my bag, and it works well when I am close to the green, and a bump and run is not prudent. My 54* SW sees a lot of action too, when I am in close proximity to the green, and have made some decent pitches with this club. My 50* GW gets in on the action, along with my 46* PW, which I like to use for b+r shots, when it is the right choice. Learning when, and how to use each wedge is a valuable tool on the course. I would practice those clubs a lot when I first started playing, and read, and watched videos of The Short Game Guru, Dave Pelz. They don't call them the scoring clubs for nothing...

Driver-Ping g410 SFT, 3W-Callaway Diablo Octane, Hybrids-Snake Eyes Viper 18*+ 21*, Irons-GigaGolf Reva Hybrid Irons 24*- 46*, Wedges-Cleveland CBX2's 50*54*58*, Putter-Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11c

For a high handicap player, I would recommend nothing beyond a gap wedge UNTIL you can hit and control the gap with no more than one error shot per round.

Then, add the 54 or 56 sand wedge and learn to control that.

I'm low single digit at most courses now and only carry the 56 and only use it from sand trap and fairway and special need shots (over traps or short sided chips).

Most average and high handicap golfers would benefit from using one wedge (P or G) for most chipping and pitching required shots. Unfortunately, most try and use an infrequently used SW or LW, AND UNMASTERED, hitting a poor shot most times elevating their score to double or beyond rather than use a more often used club, hitting a workable shot for bogey and saving many strokes a round. 15 cap and higher seldom, if ever, hit the great shot required when using a SW or LW...though they will always talk about, remember, and rationalize their use because they hit that shot once...upon a time.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

If there is room in the bag, absolutely. It’s not a question of having it. It is a question of using it. 

You should always go with the highest percentage shot. There are times when having more loft, even if it increases the likelihood of mishittimg because of the loft. In some situations even with a great hit with a SW, it will still roll too much. 

Most of us will never be able to hit the long shots like pros or even low handicappers. However, with practice we can hit wedges and putter as good as anyone. You must practice all the clubs but especially the wedges. But even if you can hit the 58°, 60° or even 64° doesn’t mean that’s your default club. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid