Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

BOA vs. LACES

RTH1

Have a pair of Sketches BOA, and they fit in with all my lace up shoes - no fighting as yet!

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

13 hours ago, RTH1 said:

Question is for boa users, how are they performing after a season or two, and would you purchase again ?

I'm for boa but not exclusively and have had the Footjoy Hyperflex boa for 18 months or so.  They are still in heavy rotation and performing wonderfully; comfortable, stable, and typically don't require much retightening. 

Driver:   :cobra-small: King F8 9.5D w/Motore X1 x-stiff
Fairway:  :cobra-small: King F8 3 wood  
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 3 hybrid 19.5° Fujikura Atmos 7s stiff      
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F8 5-PW true temper XP 90 stiff 
Wedges: :callaway-small: 48° (10) Mack Daddy 4 S grind, :taylormade-small: 52° (09) Hi-Toe, :taylormade-small:56° (09) Milled Grind, :taylormade-small:60° (10) MG2 
Putter:    :Sub70: 004 Mallet w/ SuperStroke Zynergy 5.0

Ball: :vice: Pro (white & drip)

I want to like BOA, but every time I’ve tried them I can’t tighten them right. I have wide feet with a big heel. I tie my laced shoes tighter in the arches and like to leave the ankle looser for comfortable walking. I can never seem to get the boa to do that. It always seems to be a bit of the reverse with the ankle tight and the arches loose.

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

I picked up a pair of Adidas golf shoes over the winter with BOA and I love them.  I'm a doofus and never learned to tie my shoes beyond the most basic knot, and somehow over the past five years or so I've had increasing problems with my laces coming undone.  So far with nearly a full season under my belt I'm really thrilled with how the new shoes have held up.  I kept my old pair with laces just in case the BOA fails but if I stumble across another really good deal on another BOA pair, I'll likely jump on it.  First couple of rounds with the BOA needed some trial and error to get them just right, but now they're basically slip-ons.

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

I tried to play using Boa’s and bought the same style with laces.  Both are Addidas cleats.  I really prefer the laces.  The Boa’s just don’t seem to tighten as well with the Boa’s.  I had Boas before but I thought this Adidas pair might be better, but they still aren’t for me. 

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

I have dabbled with BOA on a couple pairs. One Adidas, with the BOA on the tongue and one FootJoy with it on the heel. I liked both pairs, but after the shoes break-in and loosen up, it felt like the BOA wasn’t able to tighten enough to make the shoe feel secure on my foot. My current shoes are lace-up Payntr X001f. They might be the most comfortable golf specific shoes I have ever owned. 10/10 would recommend.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 S

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :odyssey-small: White Hot Versa DW

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

6 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

I have dabbled with BOA on a couple pairs. One Adidas, with the BOA on the tongue and one FootJoy with it on the heel. I liked both pairs, but after the shoes break-in and loosen up, it felt like the BOA wasn’t able to tighten enough to make the shoe feel secure on my foot. My current shoes are lace-up Payntr X001f. They might be the most comfortable golf specific shoes I have ever owned. 10/10 would recommend.

I completely agree with you.  They just don’t tighten well enough for me.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

I completely agree with you.  They just don’t tighten well enough for me.

The thing with BOA is that they disperse the pressure from the lacing system a lot more efficiently that a standard lace system. What I have found across fitting a lot of people is that you don’t see any more slip or movement in the footwear with BOA vs laces. In theory, you could reach a limit in how much line you can take in, but if you are hitting it, the shoes you are wearing are more than likely too big (a common problem in general in the US).

Now, when we talk about FEEL, that’s a totally different story. Some people prefer the feel of cranked down laces on their instep/metatarsal areas. This is really hard to achieve with BOA, and it’s not really detrimental to the end user unless they are diabetic or it causes blisters. At the end of the day, it’s all about what feels good to you. Just my insight from a shoe guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-logo-1:Mavrik 10.5* :projectx: HZRDS T800 Orange 60 6.0

:taylormade-small: RocketBallz Stage 2 3W

:mizuno-small:ST-Z 5W :projectx: EvenFlow 5.5

:srixon-small: ZX Utility 23*, UST Recoil F3

:titleist-small:T300 :projectx: LZ 5.5, 5-PW

:mizuno-small: T22 Copper Denim :truetemper: DG R300, 52* 56*

:vokey-small: SM9 :truetemper: DG R300, 60*

:odyssey-small: Strokelabs One

:vice: Pro Soft

Looks - Laces

Performance - BOA

I'm a convert.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Driver 9, Oban Devotion 45-03 | Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3 + 5 Wood, Oban Revenge 65-03 | Mizuno HiFli 16.5 2 Iron | Titleist T200 4-GW Irons, KBS Tour 110 R | Titleist Vokey Design SM9 Chrome SW & LW (54/12D, 60/12D) | Odyssey Versa Seven Putter  Titleist Pro V1x | Srixon Tour Staff Bag The Open Staff Bag 2022 | Clicgear Model 4.0 Buggy | Bushnell Tour V6 Shift Rangefinder | Golf Pride MCC ALIGN (Standard) Grips |

BOA all the way. I think it is worth the premium up charge for ease of use and locked in comfort for an entire round.

in my previous job I was able to get out to Denver and work with the BOA team as we were developing a new shoe with them. Very nice group and great to work with.

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

Thanks, everyone for the feedback...BOA seems to be the option worth pursuing for me.

:titleist-small: TSR2 driver 10

:cobra-small:Cobra ltd fairways 3 and 7

:cobra-small:Cobra forged tec irons 5-P

:callaway-small:Callaway wedges 54 and 58

:taylormade-small:TaylorMade del monte 7 face balanced putter

On 9/6/2023 at 5:34 AM, RTH1 said:

Question is for boa users, 

I'm old fashioned. I still pound nails out the soles and use fencing wire for laces. Never wear out.  Welcome to the forum. As you can see there are many great thoughts. Welcome, welcome and great question. 

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I don’t own a single pair of shoes with laces and hopefully never will again. I love the feel of my foot joys with boa. Better fit with the boa and quicker and easier to put on and take off. I have about 100 rounds on my current pair and about once or twice a round they loosen a tiny bit and I give them one more click but I prefer my shoes to be extremely tight. 

Me winning isn’t, you do 

I know its supposed to do the opposite, but like others I tried on several pair of Boa's  and it seems to tighten unevenly for me, and I didn't like the feel.  I will stick with laces.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Not a fan of the BOA !  I got a pair at a member guest ( Foot Joy) and the rep said I will never go back to laces, well guess what ; I have NOT bought another pair of BOA !  I do not like the look of the BOA, it looks cheap.  I don't find it difficult to tie my shoes , it's over kill.  

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

I play over 160 rounds a year and put my golf shoes through a great deal.  My previous pair was an Adidas BOA shoe.  I loved the fit so much I had to adhere the sole on twice when it began to separate.  Mine lasted about 1.5 years.  What I liked:  the ease of getting them on and off, adjustability for my two different sized feet and simple tightening during a round.  

My current shoes (New Balance and Sqairz) have laces as I wanted to give the two brands a shot.  It didn't take long for me to want my BOA back!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I have several pair of boa shoes and they are the best.  The game changer being you can fine tune and adjust fit the entire round.  You can't do that with laces. BOA gives you the feeling that the connection between shoe and foot is closer.  Laces aren't bad, but they can't deliver that level of fit.

TaylorMade Sim2 MAX 2 10.5 Aldila  S flex   - 41.25 inches 

Ping G425 3 Wood Aldila S flex

Taylormade Stealth  Hybrid 3 and 4

Mizuno 923 JPX KBS Tour Lite 95 S 5 - GW 

Cleveland RTX 4  50 and 54 Dynamic Gold

Cleveland RTX 6 58 Dynamic Gold

Scotty Cameron 2022 Phantom X 9 Putter - 33'

18 hours ago, JustAGolfCat said:

I have several pair of boa shoes and they are the best.  The game changer being you can fine tune and adjust fit the entire round.  You can't do that with laces. BOA gives you the feeling that the connection between shoe and foot is closer.  Laces aren't bad, but they can't deliver that level of fit.

That's what I'm hoping for.

:titleist-small: TSR2 driver 10

:cobra-small:Cobra ltd fairways 3 and 7

:cobra-small:Cobra forged tec irons 5-P

:callaway-small:Callaway wedges 54 and 58

:taylormade-small:TaylorMade del monte 7 face balanced putter

• 5 months later...

I just picked up another pair of Puma's with the Boa system. I’m a fan but I also have a few pair with laces. I am comfortable either way. But the boa system really locks you in. 

You can by a cable system for 2 to 3 bucks and try it on any pair of shoes to see if you like the cable system or not. Temu has them.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

I just have one pair (Skechers) with the boa, can go either way. Just wish these were around when I had my hip replacements and had to go to Velcro strapped shoes until I was flexible enough to tie my laces again!

Only ever owned one pair of BOA and wasn't blown away. Just me, but I have no issues with the traditional laces and find it to be just as quick and convenient. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 hours ago, Randall Robbins said:

I just have one pair (Skechers) with the boa, can go either way. Just wish these were around when I had my hip replacements and had to go to Velcro strapped shoes until I was flexible enough to tie my laces again!

Which model Skecher do you have? Any issues?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Don't know the model, it was their first one, with the dial on the younger of the shoe, got them from one of the discount golf sites.  Have had no issues with them.