Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

MOI in irons - reality?

MWLEFTY

Something I’ve come across a few times in posts on here is this:

https://www.golfworks.com/head-mpf-ratings/

Where irons are measured for their playability and forgiveness, etc. 

Something interesting is how high the MOI is on Ping irons that aren’t classed as Game Improvement. So for instance an i230 rates higher than a Taylormade Stealth.

What are the other metrics effecting that classification, as the overall scores are very different? 

I’m at a stage in my golf where I’m considering whether a ‘players’ club may be more suitable for scoring than my current ‘players distance’ clubs. As normal I want to deliberate extensively before making any decisions.

MW

Driver: Ping G425 Max - Kai'li 60

Fairways: Ping G425 Max - Aldila Rogue White MSI 80

Irons: Taylormade P790 - Project X LZ 6.5

Wedges: PM Grind 54, 60 - KBS Tour S

What greater (improved) dispersion pattern are you looking for? Left to right? Front to back?

I'm a big big fan of combo sets. Get the greater precision with scoring clubs and added forgives with longer irons.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

What greater (improved) dispersion pattern are you looking for? Left to right? Front to back?

I'm a big big fan of combo sets. Get the greater precision with scoring clubs and added forgives with longer irons.

Just ordered a combo set of the '24 Apex irons with the Pro, CB and MB irons in a mix. Definitely love that more manufacturers are moving towards having the designs more homogenous so they all blend and look matching with a combo set. I think it's definitely a great way to mix distance and players irons together as needed

Edited by Fongle

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

1 hour ago, MWLEFTY said:

Something I’ve come across a few times in posts on here is this:

https://www.golfworks.com/head-mpf-ratings/

Where irons are measured for their playability and forgiveness, etc. 

Something interesting is how high the MOI is on Ping irons that aren’t classed as Game Improvement. So for instance an i230 rates higher than a Taylormade Stealth.

What are the other metrics effecting that classification, as the overall scores are very different? 

I’m at a stage in my golf where I’m considering whether a ‘players’ club may be more suitable for scoring than my current ‘players distance’ clubs. As normal I want to deliberate extensively before making any decisions.

This will explain it for you 

https://ralphmaltby.com/method-of-determining-mpf/

what makes you think a players club would help your scoring over a players distance club?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

@MWLEFTY  I play a combo set of the two and have really liked it. When I got fitted we discussed all different scenarios and ended up with a mixed bag. Most manufacturers now have the ability to mix. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

8 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This will explain it for you 

https://ralphmaltby.com/method-of-determining-mpf/

what makes you think a players club would help your scoring over a players distance club?

Rhetoric, in all honesty.

As my ballstriking has improved I can’t say I’ve stood on the course and really felt like I missed a green because of my golf clubs. I’ve definitely had instances with wedge/9 iron where spin has put me further away than expected on a great shot, but it’s not harming me dramatically.

I see a pro regularly and recently we have discussed taking the step to further improve, seek out some more spin with scoring clubs and add more shots in the repertoire. It’s certainly easier to hit little buttery shots with a forged club than a hot faced distance iron. 

What I want to understand is the ‘forgiveness’ aspect and how different styles of club achieve that.

MW

10 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Front to back. As you and others have suggested, a combo set makes a lot of sense and provides the best of both worlds. I’d love to say I’m confident with a 5 iron from a more compact players set, but I don’t think I’m there yet. But with 7i onward, nothing really phases. 

MW

16 minutes ago, MWLEFTY said:

I see a pro regularly and recently we have discussed taking the step to further improve, seek out some more spin with scoring clubs and add more shots in the repertoire. It’s certainly easier to hit little buttery shots with a forged club than a hot faced distance iron. 

Well thee are more gi and players distance irons that don’t have hot faces and aren’t forged. Lots of information debunking the forged vs cast debate.

but if spin is the issue what is causing the spin issue? Is it adding loft at impact? Is it the ball? Something else possible swing path or face to path?

If spin is the issue causing front to back then whatever is causing that is what should be addressed. Ball is the easiest and cheapest way. A different shaft profile can help by lowering the dynamic loft. Irons are another way. The only ways to determine all of that is to test things out or get fit if its an equipment issue

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

My stock path is pretty constant. 2-3 from the inside. Push draw pattern. If the face comes in strong it can create a fair bit more carry as it’s essentially a pull draw with a jump in ball speed.

We’ve been working hard on a more passive release which is really helping. My low point is much further forwards and the swing is built around stabilising the face to avoid that long miss. 

When I was fit for my current irons I was very much a greenkeepers dream - no divots. Now I trap and cover the ball more efficiently, there’s been a bit of recalibrating. 

I ask about MOI and forgiveness as I feel my irons give me plenty of forgiveness on mishits. Is that same cushion level is available on something that won’t be so smoky on a pull? If the rhetoric about spin and accuracy is correct, it’s something I’d be interested in.

Edited by MWLEFTY

MW

15 minutes ago, MWLEFTY said:

My stock path is pretty constant. 2-3 from the inside. Push draw pattern. If the face comes in strong it can create a fair bit more carry as it’s essentially a pull draw with a jump in ball speed.

We’ve been working hard on a more passive release which is really helping. My low point is much further forwards and the swing is built around stabilising the face to avoid that long miss. 

When I was fit for my current irons I was very much a greenkeepers dream - no divots. Now I trap and cover the ball more efficiently, there’s been a bit of recalibrating. 

I ask about MOI and forgiveness as I feel my irons give me plenty of forgiveness on mishits. Is that same cushion level is available on something that won’t be so smoky on a pull? If the rhetoric about spin and accuracy is correct, it’s something I’d be interested in.

A pull is still a pull and will carry further. That is just the nature of that shot and flight characteristics. There will be clubs that are lesser, but could be equally penal in other areas as well. There is always some sort of trade-off. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

That flight is going to some from any club as mentioned above. Depending on what your current spin is adding more might be a bad thing. Spin is ones friend until it’s either too much or too little.

It’s why the whole picture needs to be looked at. 2-3° from the inside isn’t bad. Anything between 1-3° is good. But when the face is unstable that has to be addressed. 

Could it be fixed with a club? Maybe but unlikely? Can it be improved with a shaft change? Possibly but it would mean the feel of the setup causes a swing change. 

Looking at your launch, spin, aoa, face to path, face angle, peak, land angle. Since you are working with a coach you should talk to him about whether a fitting for irons or a shaft change is something that should be pursued or if a loft change of current irons would help or switching balls would benefit you.