Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Golfspy_CG2 2024 Driver Shootout

Golfspy_CG2

1 hour ago, Jeremy Meyer said:

It’s a double edged sword - it’s nice when he gets the new equipment and I get to try it, but then I want it and have to find a way to hide it from the wife 😂

Time to have a storage unit that she doesn’t know about! Or keep them at the office! 

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

On 2/25/2024 at 8:23 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The Qi10 has had the best combination of accuracy and distance.  The PING 10 K has been the most accurate by a slight margin. 

The Ai Smoke has been ok but nothing special. It may benefit most of all thw heads from the shaft i have coming in 

This sounds like what I was expecting. Going off a number of reviews for all drivers, the Qi10 seems the most forgiving but I love the look of the Ping.

23 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

So a fun update: 

Got in a new GD VR shaft with an All Fit adapter yesterday.  So if you've read above, I have two GD shafts that have worked well for me,  The Di 5 in my TSR and the new AD CQ in the Qi10.   I did a lot of research and talked to a rep at GD and determined a good shaft that blends the best of both of those for me would be the VR. 

IMG_0402.jpeg

So I want to be able to try as many heads with it as I can.  So I got in the Ping, Callaway and Cobra adapters for it.   If you're reading that closely, you may pick up on a new or late addition to the shootout, which is mostly due to popular requests in here.

IMG_0403.jpeg

Yesterday I went out to the range with just the Ping head on the shaft, and had pretty good results.  it was too cold and windy to bother setting up the LM but I just wanted to see the flight.  And I hit it side by side with the TM QI10.  From my pure eyeball perspective it was right there with the QI10 in distance, and almost identical in flight.  Both had a very straight flight, some swings there was a slight draw and some a slight fade, both of those would be attributed to my swing. 

Today more of the same weather, even a bit cooler.   But again wanted to get some swings in with the shaft and the PING G430 10K.

I was loving what I was seeing, after I loosened up a bit definitely saw more left bias than right bias out of it which for a life long  fader of the ball, was nice to see.   

Next week is supposed to bring some good weather, so we'll get both some LM data and real on course results. 

So the Dark Side, uh, Darkspeed will be joining the ranks...😉

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

27 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

So a fun update: 

Got in a new GD VR shaft with an All Fit adapter yesterday.  So if you've read above, I have two GD shafts that have worked well for me,  The Di 5 in my TSR and the new AD CQ in the Qi10.   I did a lot of research and talked to a rep at GD and determined a good shaft that blends the best of both of those for me would be the VR. 

IMG_0402.jpeg

So I want to be able to try as many heads with it as I can.  So I got in the Ping, Callaway and Cobra adapters for it.   If you're reading that closely, you may pick up on a new or late addition to the shootout, which is mostly due to popular requests in here.

IMG_0403.jpeg

Yesterday I went out to the range with just the Ping head on the shaft, and had pretty good results.  it was too cold and windy to bother setting up the LM but I just wanted to see the flight.  And I hit it side by side with the TM QI10.  From my pure eyeball perspective it was right there with the QI10 in distance, and almost identical in flight.  Both had a very straight flight, some swings there was a slight draw and some a slight fade, both of those would be attributed to my swing. 

Today more of the same weather, even a bit cooler.   But again wanted to get some swings in with the shaft and the PING G430 10K.

I was loving what I was seeing, after I loosened up a bit definitely saw more left bias than right bias out of it which for a life long  fader of the ball, was nice to see.   

Next week is supposed to bring some good weather, so we'll get both some LM data and real on course results. 

Might be a coincidence but the shaft coloring matches the Qi…

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

On 2/8/2024 at 9:46 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You know that strikes me that I might look into ordering a Grpahite Design with the All Fit Tip if I can from  WP or somewhere. 

The All-fit tips are great.

Edited by BCases

SjW

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

So an update for this week:   TLDR-Callaway was surprisingly fast!  The PING and TM still very good 

Monday: Played my first 18 hole round of the year and took out the PING with the GD VR shaft and the Qi10 with the GD QC shaft that I ordered it with. 

Had a really good range session with both of them, nice maybe 3 to 5 yard fades with both of them, and while I didn't have a LM out they both appeared to be carrying around the same distance.

Front 9 TaylorMade Qi10-Graphite Design QC 5 R

I decided I'd play the Qi10 the front 9 and the G430 10K on the back, and use my GPS to measure the distance of each drive.

I can't make this up, but the first hole, Qi10, I hit what felt like one of my best drives in a while, and judging by my playing partners reaction he thought so too.   He typically drives it 235 to 245, and as I mentioned up front 215 is a good drive for me now days, with most topping out 195 to 205 range.  As we were driving to the shots, I could see they were closer than I expected, and I knew he had hit a good one his self.   

Sure enough the GPS clocked mine at 227.  The longest drive I've had since at least last summer.  I'd love to say the front 9  featured 6 more of those, but in reality only one came close it was 214 on a slightly uphill hole, though.  Most were in the 196 to 204 range but I only missed one fairway and that was on 9 when I really tried to reach back and kill it!   But it was totally playable in the right rough.

Back 9-PING G430 10K-Graphite Design VR 5 

Most of the 9 was like the front nine, very straight and in play...which is what this driver is about, it's not touted for outrageous distance.   But I did really flush one on 17 and it checked in at 216 on a pretty wet fairway, so not much roll at all. 

So both drivers did what they are supposed to do, go straight, and not lose distance on shots not on the sweet spot.  I think I can safely say I had some drives with both drivers that would have probably been 10 to 15 yards less with some of the non `10K drivers. 

Tuesday Range-Callaway AiSmoke Max Graphite Design VR 5

Very rainy day, but decided to get a very short range session in with this club, as I  feel like I've neglected  it during to this point in the shootout.  Mainly due to some not great early shots with it and the stock set up.  

But as I said earlier about the PING and the Graphite Design....it made this driver come alive. 

I set the Full Swing LM up and only hit about 15 balls with it and 10 to 12 with the QI10.   The Callaway really shined.   I was getting ball speeds in the low 122 and 123 on  a lot of my drives, and the ones that I didn't were in the 118'ish range.    I hadn't gotten 120 plus on the LM again since last summer.  I know that's a good 7 iron speed for most, but for me that has been living in the mid to high teens, it's hope  that my goal of 130 is not impossible.   

But also of note, is the Smoke Ai had a little draw going, and the ones that didn't went straight to a very small 5 yard fade again.   

If you have seen any of the Callaway marketing adds, you see the face with all the different face impacts showing the +gains in each of them.   I am generally a High Toe miss when I do, and I can tell you I had a couple of those, and that where the 114 or 115 ball speeds came in, where they might have been 110 to 111 on other drivers.    And the ball maintained it's lne, so it would have been totally playable. 

It made me very eager to get this driver on course to test, which I plan to do next week.   

Thats awesome!!! 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

11 minutes ago, BCases said:

The All-fit tips are bigger, heavier, uglier and break rather quickly.

Totally subjective. 

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  The looks don't bother me at all, the ability to move between heads far outweighs that, and if anything my swing speed has gone up a notch.   And granted it's only been a week, but having hit over 100 shots with it on two different heads, I haven't had it break yet. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

18 minutes ago, BCases said:

The All-fit tips are bigger, heavier, uglier and break rather quickly.

I can assure you mine are no bigger outside the head than TM’s adapter. I have also been using them for quite a long time without any breakage. That statement should have been followed with sarcasm or an “in your opinion” wording. 

IMG_2426.gif

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I am excited to have a fitting tomorrow, I am looking at the QI10 Max, 430 Max 10k, Darkspeed X and the AI Smoke Max and the Black Ops tomorrow. By no means am I very good but I do find the fairway regularly with my PXG 0811X+ but am looking for more yardage as I am getting old and my swing is slowing down...

Sim2 5-A

Vokey SM7 52 and 56

PXG 0811X+ Kuro Kage 55s

Sim2 3 wood and 5H

Ping G425 7 wood

One Spider or another depending on the day

3 minutes ago, rupp49er said:

I am excited to have a fitting tomorrow, I am looking at the QI10 Max, 430 Max 10k, Darkspeed X and the AI Smoke Max and the Black Ops tomorrow. By no means am I very good but I do find the fairway regularly with my PXG 0811X+ but am looking for more yardage as I am getting old and my swing is slowing down...

Good luck with the fitting, provide an update of what you end up with!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Will do, this will be the first time I have ever been truly fitted for any clubs. I used to be around 100mph with a driver, now I am closer to 90 so I am interested to see what shaft works the best. I have no complaints about my current 0811, I hit more fairways than I ever have with it, but I am sure I will find a fair bit of yardage with any of these new drivers without giving up the dispersion I have now. Or so I hope.

Sim2 5-A

Vokey SM7 52 and 56

PXG 0811X+ Kuro Kage 55s

Sim2 3 wood and 5H

Ping G425 7 wood

Let me start by saying that my swing was not good when I went for my fitting! Lots of low slices with way too much sidespin. I tried the QI10 Max, AI Smoke Max, Darkspeed Max, as well as the Dark Ops, and quite a few different shaft combinations with all of them. Way too much spin for me and not the improvement I had hoped to see in carry and yardage. Finally tried the Srixon ZX5 MK2 with a Tensei White S 65. Even with my poor swing the spin was much lower and the carry +10 yards over everything else I hit, and 17 yards over my current gamer. So it's in the bag for now. 2hrs on the simulator and had my swing in much better shape and was seeing even better results. Played yesterday and the horrible cut was back, I had a couple of nice drives with it but nothing was working, but I can't attribute that to the driver. Back to the range after work, I do feel that once I get back to my normal swing I am going to be happy with it but we will see.

Sim2 5-A

Vokey SM7 52 and 56

PXG 0811X+ Kuro Kage 55s

Sim2 3 wood and 5H

Ping G425 7 wood

On 3/11/2024 at 10:07 AM, rupp49er said:

Let me start by saying that my swing was not good when I went for my fitting! Lots of low slices with way too much sidespin. I tried the QI10 Max, AI Smoke Max, Darkspeed Max, as well as the Dark Ops, and quite a few different shaft combinations with all of them. Way too much spin for me and not the improvement I had hoped to see in carry and yardage. Finally tried the Srixon ZX5 MK2 with a Tensei White S 65. Even with my poor swing the spin was much lower and the carry +10 yards over everything else I hit, and 17 yards over my current gamer. So it's in the bag for now. 2hrs on the simulator and had my swing in much better shape and was seeing even better results. Played yesterday and the horrible cut was back, I had a couple of nice drives with it but nothing was working, but I can't attribute that to the driver. Back to the range after work, I do feel that once I get back to my normal swing I am going to be happy with it but we will see.

Glad you found one that worked for you.  I will have some more updates by the end of the week. 

Some non LM but GPS Tracked shots yesterday were just so damn impressive.  Only w few mishits under 200 and most in the 215 to 222 range and w few in the 230’s

Now to the uniformed readers that is like. Whats so impressive about that.  Well go back and read my intro post and you’ll see.  Ha 

4 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I love how that looks at address, the dull carbon reminds me of my King Tec 4 hybrid. 

Jason, I was thinking the EXACT same thing. I hit the Darkspeed LS a couple weeks ago at Golf Galaxy and it was like looking at a larger King Tec. Cobra just absolutely knocked it out of the park this year.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

12 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

You know. I actually love both matte and gloss finishes.  

To me Drivers head finishes are like women, blonde or brunette..doesn’t matter beautiful is beautiful 😍 

Totally agree, I love the crown on the Aerojet, I loved it on the Epic Flash, and the Ping G400 that I have owned. There's just something about that matte that I really have taken a shine to. 

27 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

A new Player has entered the room! 

IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_0491.jpeg

IMG_0492.jpeg

Love the look of it!

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_0491.jpeg

IMG_0492.jpeg

What head did you go with? Apologies if it was stated elsewhere and I missed it. 

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

IMG_0487.jpeg

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_0491.jpeg

IMG_0492.jpeg

That’s a sharp looking driver!  Quite a test you have going on!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

The Cobra looks fantastic at Address… can’t wait to try it on outdoor demo day.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:titelist-small: U-510 19 Utility Iron HZDUS Smoke Black 6.0 Stiff

:Takomo:  5-PW 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Loyal MCC Plus 4 Sensor User

5 hours ago, aguybadatgolf said:

What head did you go with? Apologies if it was stated elsewhere and I missed it. 

Ah!  The X.  I. don’t think I mentioned it or showed the sole. 

Ah!  The X.  I. don’t think I mentioned it or showed the sole. 

Thanks! I’m getting a fitting in a couple weeks and am really hoping one of the cobra options work out for me. 

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on)