Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What Wedges Are You Currently Using?

GolfSpy_APH

25 minutes ago, evkel said:

Taylormade MG4 for me: 50/9, 54/11 bent to 55/12, and 60/8. Love them but found the raw face on the 50 has rusted much quicker than the others. Has anyone else seen that?

IMG_1929.jpeg.db5ec602d691ac4591002bede2de5417.jpegIMG_1928.jpeg.73c6506c68db40d9d79ce22f0add208f.jpeg

My MG4’s haven’t rusted yet (mostly Canadian winter indoor use since I got them), but I found my MG3 gap wedges used to rust the fastest as well. 

In my mind I somewhat proved my theory on the gap wedges usually being first to rust. That being I never used to use them out of bunkers. So they were never in comparatively drier situations.. And subsequently probably put the gap wedge away without a thorough towelling more often. 

Now that I’ve made big changes in technique, I find myself using my 60 less than my 50 out of bunkers and they seem to be much more uniform. 

I also found from promoting rust after extended use, that it’s quite easy to introduce rust. So it could be as simple as being put away wetter than the others a time or two. 

Cheers, 

Driver - Taylormade Stealth Plus 

(Currently Testing - Stealth 2+, Ping G430 Max, Titleist TSR3, Callaway Paradym arriving soon)

3 Wood - (Taylormade M5) 

(waiting on TSR3 fairway) next club up for testing* 

2 Hybrid - Taylormade Sim2 Titanium 

2-3i Taylormade P790 

4i Taylormade P770 

5-9i Taylormade P7MC 

46(47), 52, 56TW, 60TW - Taylormade MG3 

Putter -Toulon Design Las Vegas 

2 hours ago, Push-ups For Bogeys said:

My MG4’s haven’t rusted yet (mostly Canadian winter indoor use since I got them), but I found my MG3 gap wedges used to rust the fastest as well. 

In my mind I somewhat proved my theory on the gap wedges usually being first to rust. That being I never used to use them out of bunkers. So they were never in comparatively drier situations.. And subsequently probably put the gap wedge away without a thorough towelling more often. 

Now that I’ve made big changes in technique, I find myself using my 60 less than my 50 out of bunkers and they seem to be much more uniform. 

I also found from promoting rust after extended use, that it’s quite easy to introduce rust. So it could be as simple as being put away wetter than the others a time or two. 

Cheers, 

Appreciate the feedback. I’ve only got 5 or so rounds on them. Could be as simple as putting the gap wedge away without a good wipe (but I don’t really do a great job wiping any of them). Just curious about the experience of others as the rust seemed a bit extreme relative to the other wedges - that picture is after aggressively brushing off rust build up. 

Callaway Epic Max LS (Ventus Blue 5S)

Callaway Paradym 3HL (Ventus Blue 6S)

Ping G430 4 Hybrid (Ventus Blue 7S)

Taylormade P770 5-PW (Nippon 950 GH neo)

Taylormade MG4 Wedges (50.9, 54.11 @ 55.12, 60.8)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Interesting.. 5 rounds does seem very quick, especially if that’s after brushing.
I can’t remember any of my wedges rusting that much that fast, and I’ve had at 2-3 sets per generation.
Had one MG2 where a patch grew relatively quick but not the whole face. 

That looks like the aftermath of my salt bath treatments. Haha

(Pics are before/after I used GroovEx when I purposely rusted my MG3 for the 3rd/final time, they were near the end of their life for me at 150-175 rounds. Now are practice wedges) 

IMG_1257.jpeg

IMG_1258.jpeg

Driver - Taylormade Stealth Plus 

(Currently Testing - Stealth 2+, Ping G430 Max, Titleist TSR3, Callaway Paradym arriving soon)

3 Wood - (Taylormade M5) 

(waiting on TSR3 fairway) next club up for testing* 

2 Hybrid - Taylormade Sim2 Titanium 

2-3i Taylormade P790 

4i Taylormade P770 

5-9i Taylormade P7MC 

46(47), 52, 56TW, 60TW - Taylormade MG3 

Putter -Toulon Design Las Vegas 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been playing with Vokeys and replacing them every two years for about 13 or 14 years now and currently have SM9. in 48 52 56 and 60 but today i made the mistake of hitting the new S159 Ping wedges and i will be switching in the fall of 2024. They are phenomenal in feel and workability and they are sexy as heck to boot!! Bravo PING

Screenshot_20240223_215627_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20240223_215723_Google.jpg

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

13 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

Well I have been playing with Vokeys and replacing them every two years for about 13 or 14 years now and currently have SM9. in 48 52 56 and 60 but today i made the mistake of hitting the new S159 Ping wedges and i will be switching in the fall of 2024. They are phenomenal in feel and workability and they are sexy as heck to boot!! Bravo PING

Screenshot_20240223_215627_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20240223_215723_Google.jpg

I have been a PXG and Vokey Wedge player. What in particular made you jump to the Ping Wedge? Just curious! Thanks.

Edited by Javs

Play like a champion today!

14 minutes ago, Javs said:

I have been a PXG and Vokey Wedge player. What in particular made you jump to the Ping Wedge? Just curious! Thanks.

I thought they looked great and I was hitting balls at a buddies shop and he has a green at 100 yds and came out and handed me one. The feel was great and I could absolutely rip stop a shot on demand or let it release and they are pleasing to the eye at address and that's big for me

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

50 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

I thought they looked great and I was hitting balls at a buddies shop and he has a green at 100 yds and came out and handed me one. The feel was great and I could absolutely rip stop a shot on demand or let it release and they are pleasing to the eye at address and that's big for me

That works! 

Play like a champion today!

Just added some new Vokey SM9's to the arsenal.  

50* F - 54* D - 58* T

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

5 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

50* F - 54* D - 58* T

Sweet! 

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

I currently play Edison 2.0 wedges in 53* and a 57* that I bent to 58* loft, plus the Gap Wedge to my Cobra King Forged Tec X iron set. However, I am a total "wedge ho", and own at least 50-60 wedges, including two additional Edison 2.0 wedges, a full set of (4) of the original Edison Wedges (44*, 49*, 54* and 59*), several Ping Glide 2.0 and 4.0 wedges in lofts ranging from 50* to 58*, a virtually brand-new custom built (at Ping) Glide Forged 59/08 with the "Eye Two Grind" that will probably go in the bag at some point this spring, a gorgeous "Denim Copper" Mizuno T24 58/04 low-bounce "X-Profile" wedge that will almost surely be in my bag for my golf trip to Scotland in exactly 3 months, and more Vokey, Cleveland, and Maltby wedges that I can count.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

I actually had my irons weakened a few weeks ago for more height and stopping power and I needed to therefore use weaker lofted wedges, so I took the opportunity to spend more money and bought Ping s159 wedges in 54º and 58º. Loving them so far.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

On 2/24/2024 at 4:16 AM, Josh Parker said:

50* F - 54* D - 58* T

Good for you … Also, you didn’t even need to throw a fellow spy under the bus or do any explaining why you got them….Mrs. Parker is such a kind, caring and understanding wife person.  Nice to know that there is at least one in Texas. 

1 minute ago, Dead Solid Bogey said:

Good for you … Also, you didn’t even need to throw a fellow spy under the bus or do any explaining why you got them….Mrs. Parker is such a kind, caring and understanding wife person.  Nice to know that there is at least one in Texas. 

We did just get a huge hot tub/swim spa for the house so I have a little grace. 😁

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

14 minutes ago, brogies said:

I actually had my irons weakened a few weeks ago for more height and stopping power and I needed to therefore use weaker lofted wedges, so I took the opportunity to spend more money and bought Ping s159 wedges in 54º and 58º. Loving them so far.

Iam a lifelong Vokey guy and started playing some PING irons a few years ago and added the driver this year and I have hit every wedge I've ever seen in the golf shop so probably at least 10 brands and several years lines. I picked up an S159 last week and could not believe how great it felt not to mention looked at address. I will be buying at least three of them probably this fall. Not sure if I want to get rid of my Vokey 48 as it's my pitching wedge and I didn't like the PING 48 as much but the 52 56 and 60 are going to say PING on them soon

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

7 minutes ago, Marlin Dave said:

Iam a lifelong Vokey guy and started playing some PING irons a few years ago and added the driver this year and I have hit every wedge I've ever seen in the golf shop so probably at least 10 brands and several years lines. I picked up an S159 last week and could not believe how great it felt not to mention looked at address. I will be buying at least three of them probably this fall. Not sure if I want to get rid of my Vokey 48 as it's my pitching wedge and I didn't like the PING 48 as much but the 52 56 and 60 are going to say PING on them soon

I found Ping wedges so much more forgiving than my previous Vokey's. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

25 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

We did just get a huge hot tub/swim spa for the house so I have a little grace. 😁

I’m a RAC guy. I’m hitting PXG wedges right now though and they’re great. Last season I holed more wedge shots than I did in ten years. Mostly with the 52, and my 56 was outstanding out of the sand. I think I’m sticking with PXG wedges.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

1 hour ago, brogies said:

I love the looks, and the numerous sole grind options on those Ping S159 wedges! ….. as if I “need” any more wedges.

Spoiler

On 2/24/2024 at 9:53 AM, funkyjudge said:

I currently play Edison 2.0 wedges in 53* and a 57* that I bent to 58* loft, plus the Gap Wedge to my Cobra King Forged Tec X iron set. However, I am a total "wedge ho", and own at least 50-60 wedges, including two additional Edison 2.0 wedges, a full set of (4) of the original Edison Wedges (44*, 49*, 54* and 59*), several Ping Glide 2.0 and 4.0 wedges in lofts ranging from 50* to 58*, a virtually brand-new custom built (at Ping) Glide Forged 59/08 with the "Eye Two Grind" that will probably go in the bag at some point this spring, a gorgeous "Denim Copper" Mizuno T24 58/04 low-bounce "X-Profile" wedge that will almost surely be in my bag for my golf trip to Scotland in exactly 3 months, and more Vokey, Cleveland, and Maltby wedges that I can count.

WOW, just wow… That is quite a number on the wedge count. I have less than 10. My current gamers are Edison 2.0 ( 49°, 55°, and 59° ) to be honest they are gaming me more than I am gaming them. Do you change out wedges due to your mood, current play making, courses, course conditions, or some other metric? As much trouble as I am having with the Edison’s… The worst is in trying  to hit them out of wet caliche, this is usually a massive failure. 
  Again, impressed with the wedge collection. 

Just now, Dead Solid Bogey said:

WOW, just wow… That is quite a number on the wedge count. I have less than 10. My current gamers are Edison 2.0 ( 49°, 55°, and 59° ) to be honest they are gaming me more than I am gaming them. Do you change out wedges due to your mood, current play making, courses, course conditions, or some other metric? As much trouble as I am having with the Edison’s… The worst is in trying  to hit them out of wet caliche, this is usually a massive failure. 
  Again, impressed with the wedge collection. 

All of the above, I’m afraid! Mostly, I select my wedges based on course conditions (for example, I will take at least one low bounce high-lofted wedge on my golf trip to Scotland in a few months). However, sometimes my mood and how any of my wedges have behaved recently will certainly enter the equation.

Ideally, I have one low to medium bounce wedges and one wider-sole mid to high bounce wedge in the bag. This covers the firm turf/hardpan and soft sand/deep bunker/shortsided conditions that I could encounter. In addition, I have a relatively narrow sole/medium bounce gap wedge in the bag whenever I play. This covers virtually any condition that I may encounter in my round.

Spoiler

Currently gaming the PXG Sugar Daddy 2 wedges. They came with the full bag deal otherwise they would be way out of my price range. When it's time to replace them I'll look elsewhere. Perviously played Cleveland so I'll probably go back to those 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

Decided to build my first set of irons. Had decided on some nice Corey Paul custom wedges. But after spending on the main set I got cheap at the last minute and went the other way with some inazone cnc wedge heads and... they're fine for a casual player. Was coming from 2 decades using Cleveland wedges.  Would happily game these and just replace the heads every few seasons for next to nothing. 

Edited by gohatters

-GoHatters

had a free wedge "fitting"* at Golf Galaxy.

note: wasn't really your typical fitting... hit all the big brands (Callaway/TM/Titleist/Ping) into a screen and looked at the numbers.

Everything was relatively the same and ended up with Callaway Jaws Raw. They're fine - probably wouldn't buy them again and would go for the Taylormade MG4.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I wanted to have same shafts in wedges and irons and custom ordered the JAWS with PX6.5s. Gamed 54 (bent from 56) & 60 degree JAWS Full Toe with PX6.5 shafts for two seasons. The fit was fine but ended up disliking the full toe profile on 54. The profile was ok for lob wedge, but the shaft felt harsh at times.  I finally transitioned away from them yesterday. Pulled the trigger on a deal for Zipcore 54 & 60 mid sole with DG spinners. I have played similar wedge profiles earlier, and both S400 and X100 profile is familiar from wedges and irons from past.

Most likely the clubs will perform unreal in simulator testing, but I'm more interested to see how midsole will compare to full toe lob coming the summer and outdoor usage.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8° - Aldila Tour green 60TX

Titleist TSi3 15° - Aldila Tour green 70TX

Titleist TSi2 18° - Aldila Tour green 70TX // Taylormade SIM UDI 18° - Diamana Thump 100X

Callaway Apex Pro 21 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Callaway Apex Pro 21 AW // Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 & 60 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Scotty Cameron Futura X // Odyssey Stroke Lab #7

//kajaar

I have yet to purchase the new ones for this season... But, I'm assuming at some point I'll be upgrading to the SM10's.  This year, however, I think I may need to adjust my loft settings from my typical 54-58 in addition to the gap wedge.  Since I have the T-150's and I purchased the 48 degree Vokey my assumption this year is I may go with 52 and then taking a 54 and bending it to 55 degrees.  Have to do a true gapping session or 10 and figure out what's going to fit best.  Though, have to admit, the winter golf with this set up and last years rounds have proven that I may not need to adjust the clubs but rather adjust the swing action for distances.  

I'm definitely one of those guys that believes the most important clubs in your bag is the Putter and the Wedges.  They tend to get more play than ANYTHING else during the course of a round.  SO... I do do far more testing and focus on them than most of the rest.  There's a reason they call them scoring clubs I suppose. 

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

On 2/7/2024 at 9:05 AM, EnderinAZ said:

Taylormade Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58 degree. The 58 degree is my favorite for around the green, but it sits in the garage because it is terrible out of deep rough -the only kind of rough around the greens at Coyote Run-. I need to sharpen the grooves on the sand and A wedge as I have pounded them about flat in the year I have had the clubs. Responsive and workable they are some of the best wedges I have ever had. Note the grooves go all the way to through the end of the toe. Kind of gimmicky but does not add or take away anything from the club. 

image.png.6f38254925143d1ce442041bf9fbd6af.pngimage.png.48b009a4bb9b8c186718beaee9cf3c15.png

Vastly underrated lob wedge.  Played the 60 for a season or two and that thing was impossible to hit wrong outta the sand!  For my money, the only wedges that TM has made that I've actually liked.  

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

Last year, I was using Fourteen 52* and 58* wedges and enjoyed them.  

Recently, I switched to a Fourteen 50/8* and Bettinardi 56/14* RJ Grind and find that the loft combination works better for me on the Florida courses I play. 

I don't have any problem flopping the 56* when a super-high shot is needed, but much prefer it for bunker shots.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.