Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Thoughts on buying one year old clubs?

Hacker60521

I’ll tell you another way I have saved some hard earned money. Twice over the years at a demo day I decided I really liked a club. THAT CLUB and I mean that club. I convinced the rep to sell it to me in the parking lot at the end of the event. I put a sharpie mark on the shaft so we could get back to it later. It was a $500 driver and he sold it to me for $300 cash. It was used by the end of the day after all right. 

Im sure that went right in his pocket and the club was written off as damaged. But that wasn’t my concern.This method is not going to work very often but it can.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Heck I say go for it, 95% of my clubs are used. The only thing I usually spring for are new wedges then I keep them until time to get new ones. Have had great luck looking for those slightly not as popular woods/irons out there on the used market.  They are new to me and definite upgrades from what I currently use.  

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW, Steel, Stiff flex

Driver: Mizuno ST180, Regular Flex, usually play 9.5

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM8  52,56,58

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Mallet

Right Handed

Fishers, Indiana

HDCP: 18

This is a great topic. I take the same view of buying a car as I do buying clubs. I always buy certified pre-owned.   It doesn’t make much sense to pay full price for brand new sticks especially if you’ve been fitted at some point and know your specs. I think for me this strategy has worked all the way through my bag. I am also a big re-seller/trade in guy as well to offset costs. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 Driver

Callaway Rogue ST irons 5-AW

Taylor Made MG3 wedges

Ping G425 3wood

Callaway UW hybrid

Cameron putter

So, using common sense: ask yourself - " If they were the top-of-the-line product/technology 2, 3 or 5 years ago, and they are in good shape (excluding grips) and to your swing specs, what would disqualify them from going into your bag? Technology cannot be so superior today vs 2-5 years ago... be aware of your iron lofts (your current set) vs what you are considering, as OEM's are delofting at an increasing rate to claim "...the longest ever _____", and they really aren't.

IHMO, unless you are a top 1%'er golfer, you're not spending your money wisely always buying new.

PXG 0311 irons, senior

PXG 0811X+ Proto driver, stiff, 10.5

Vokey wedges (assorted)

Scotty Cameron putters (various, depending on conditions)

Adams Pro Mini hybrid 18deg

Adams Super S Speedline VST 5 wood

Ping G2 7-wood

Every club in my bag I got after the new clubs came out.  Buying new or used clubs after the models come out saves a lot of $.  I really like when I find a brand new 2 year old club with full warranty but instead of paying $500+ on the current model I pay around $200.  I'm all for saving cash.  

Up until last month I used the og TaylorMade burner tour irons.  For no reason other than I wanted new clubs did switch to the 201t's.  That being said new clubs are nice but a lot of the time older clubs are just as good and are way cheaper 

Edited by Dan Underwood

Dan U

11 hours ago, hedgegolfer said:

So, using common sense: ask yourself - " If they were the top-of-the-line product/technology 2, 3 or 5 years ago, and they are in good shape (excluding grips) and to your swing specs, what would disqualify them from going into your bag? Technology cannot be so superior today vs 2-5 years ago... be aware of your iron lofts (your current set) vs what you are considering, as OEM's are delofting at an increasing rate to claim "...the longest ever _____", and they really aren't.

IHMO, unless you are a top 1%'er golfer, you're not spending your money wisely always buying new.

😂 Most people’s 5 iron (22*)or even their 6 iron is Tigers 3 iron (23*)Callaway  is awful about jacking down lofts , the Maverick 4 iron is 18* of loft ! That was my 1 iron when I was in my 20s🤨? Ironically, no one can hit their 4 ,5 and 6 iron anymore but they hit their PW 135 yards ( (41*-43*of loft ) which was an 8 iron in a standard set just 20 years ago . So now you need 4-5 wedges just to cover all the 60-135 yard shots 🙄🧐! My thoughts are that the club makers should just put the stamped degree of loft on each club and let’s be done with all of this non sense .

Callaway Maverick iron lofts ( our typical strong lofted irons -below)

IMG_1924.jpeg

IMG_1926.jpeg
Tigers lofts (above)which are unusually weak lofted even for today’s PGA players !

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

I have 'used' hybrids with the shaft stiffness I wanted in my bag - they hit just fine! Just switched out some lower irons in my wife's bag with a 4H, 5H and 6H - got them online at Calloway Pre-Used - Rogue ST Max OS that were listed as 'like new.' I'll say - two of them came with the shrink wrap still on them and the other one if it had been hit at all - I couldn't see any marks on the club face. She loves them, has a matching set of (really nice) hybrids that work for her and all for about 95 a club with tax, shipping, etc. There are definitely some deals out there if you look.

Edited by PolanowJ

-----------------------------------------------------
Driver -  :taylormade-small: Qi10 9.5°, Ventus VeloCore
3W -  :taylormade-small: Sim2Max 15°
3H -  :taylormade-small: Jetspeed 19°
Irons -  :titleist-small: T300 4-AW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 54°, 60°
Putter -  :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven S Putter
:Arccos: sensors 

On 2/22/2024 at 7:07 AM, Hacker60521 said:

1. What are your thoughts on buying one year old “mint” or “like new” clubs?

2. Would your thoughts change on buying used if it was a driver (including fairway and hybrids), irons, or putter?

Same answer for both. As long as they are fit to you, match your specs, etc then it's a great way to save a bit. Not to say it can't happen but most won't see a huge difference from one generation to the next. 

You can always go DTC as well.  You can get a set of MGS highly rated irons like the New Level 902os (not oversized, same size as p790) for $720 right now.  They are coming up with a new lineup which means they could go on sale soon.  When the new level 902pd went on sale last month you could get a full set for $600.  Take a look, New level also has a heads only option.  https://newlevelgolf.com/products/902-os

🙃

1 minute ago, Owengeorge13 said:

You can always go DTC as well.  You can get a set of MGS highly rated irons like the New Level 902os (not oversized, same size as p790) for $720 right now.  They are coming up with a new lineup which means they could go on sale soon.  When the new level 902pd went on sale last month you could get a full set for $600.  Take a look, New level also has a heads only option.  https://newlevelgolf.com/products/902-os

I have the 902PDs. Awesome clubs!!! Did a lot of research on a lot of DTC companies and decided on New Level. I don't regret that decision!

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

3 minutes ago, tzan said:

Is this a serious question? Do you even read the articles in MGS? 

Don't know who this was meant for, but I will answer. I read as many articles as I can when evaluating equipment. Mostly from MGS but others as well. They all help me with deciding on what to look at when buying equipment. I also try to provide feedback on equipment I am trying out in these forums. I am currently testing Callaway balls, Newton Shafts, Sauce Golf towels, and providing continuing feedback on my New Level 902PD irons. New Level discontinued them, I think that's a shame, but their quality, attention to detail, knowledge, and customer service is top notch. I am in contact with them regularly as well as Newton about their products. Hope this helps answer your question. As always, Happy Birdie Hunting!

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

There is no one right answer. The disadvantage is not getting the best combo for your swing. The obvious advantage is from year to year the improvement is incremental so the cost savings is real. Just make sure the seller warranties against counterfeits. Garage resellers online don’t have great reputation. 
Being old and LH is a stumbling block. Just limited inventory to choose. I can justify new equipment if I amortize the purchase over 5 years. 

Edited by WiTerp50

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

4 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

1. I’m not sure I know at “mint” or “like new” means. Are we talking about clubs that have like fewer than ten rounds on them?

What I have done is buy previous model clubs (fairways, hybrids and irons) that have been demos. As a lefty, I’ve noticed that demo models don’t have the same mileage on them as their RH counterparts. I don’t know if they would qualify as “like new” but because they haven’t really left the bay, they are pretty shiny, and I’ve been able to hit with them first before committing, something I can’t do with an online seller.

2. As for whether I would buy used … Putters, I would, yes, if there was a model I really wanted but couldn’t afford new, for example, the Cobra King 3D Printed Grand Sport (no real rational reasoning behind it, it’s just shiny).

Woods, irons, maybe but probably not online. I follow an FB buyer/seller/trade group, and I’ve never pulled the trigger with them. Just too many specs to worry about. I always worry someone’s leaving out a detail unintentionally like “-2° flat” or “7-iron loft was bent to 32°.” I suppose I like fewer unknowns.

I might do it for wedges if I’m looking for a particular loft and bounce that can’t be found in shops anymore. It’s hard to screw up a wedge, right? 🤔

I’d like to clarify:

Looking at my signature, my hybrid, utility, irons, utility, putter, wedges and driver were all bought as new items. Some were discounted and some were full price.

I’m saying this because after reading some of the answers, I started wondering if anyone out there was buying new equipment anymore. 😄

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

2 minutes ago, berkeleybob said:

I’d like to clarify:

Looking at my signature, my hybrid, utility, irons, utility, putter, wedges and driver were all bought as new items. Some were discounted and some were full price.

I’m saying this because after reading some of the answers, I started wondering if anyone out there was buying new equipment anymore. 😄

I did actually buy new irons (i525's) and a new 60 deg Vokey within the last couple of years BUT my i5's were 17 years old so I got my money's worth lol. On the other side, my Exotics E8 driver is probably 8 years old and my Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 is over 20 years old. 

I'm 100% of the opinion you do what works for you...new, old, etc. If you can score how you want to, that works! 

image.png.3ae44848eaa91e16529cc2da1115da30.png                        Driver:  Ping G425LST Tour 65 Stiff Shaft
image.png.095cd3d760c79d0eb767623ffdf42310.png                           Fairway Wood:  Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 (yep, OG 1999 all original)
image.png.573c1776da590d9bf6c6c64be1737d23.png                        Irons:  Ping i525 irons - Ping AWT 2.0 Xstiff
image.png.5ba727eab99bc410c525de418412911b.png        Wedges:  Titleist Vokey 52/56/60 SM9 (12deg/D grind)
image.png.5d5b33118fcaf8994d51632d9c6b8c8b.png                       Putter:  Ping Tyne 4 putter
image.png.bd6d95a9eb5ec85777f017c339995ccb.png                         Bag:  Titleist Hybrid 5
image.png.e9ac768bf1e829ed0c20f60071eef305.png                         Ball: Titleist Pro V1x Left Dash

image.png

I bought new clubs in 2004 Hogan CFT when they were going out of business. I then bought new clubs in 2008. Titleist AP2’s. I will never forget it. I was pulling the plastic off before using them for the first time. I was in the fairway, a lush green area of grass. And had actually dropped a ball because I wanted to hit the 6 iron. I struck the ball and a piece of broken tine that had been buried there for years. Took a chunk out of my 6 iron that had the plastic on it just seconds before. I was sick. 

My thoughts from that point on is that EVERY CLUB IS USED AFTER THE FIRST SWING. 

I didn’t buy brand new irons until January of 2024. I got a set of Taylormade P790’s, quite possibly the best irons I ever had and I played Mizuno from 2009 until 2018. The only reason I bought these knew is because like all things Taylormade, the older models are cheaper when the new ones come out. I bought the 2nd generation new for half the price of the 4th generation that had just come out. 

Edited by RoverRick

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Buying last years model or used is fine, especially if you can inspect them before you buy.  If the club is not exactly to your specs, you can have them tweaked to what’s right for you. My favorite recent buy was very cheap Tour Edge C722 irons. I bought MMT80 shafts and replaced the steel shafts with them.  Fun winter project that helped scratch the itch a little. 

TSR 2, 11, Tensei blue regular flex, driver

TSi 2, 16.5, Tensei blue regular flex, fairway

Stealth, 21, Ventus Red 5-r, fairway

TSi 2,  24, Tensei blue regular flex, hybrid

AP3, 5i - 48*, Steelfiber I95, regular flex, irons

RTX 52, 56, DG Spinner, wedges

ER2, 33”  OR  ER 11v, 33” putter

If the club, be it a driver, fairway etc fits your swing and your game, there's no reason not to go the used/mint route.  Many times "new" doesn't necessarily mean better.  Will your off-the-tee game get 25% better with a brand new club, than it would with last years model? The gains in driver performance in particular are incremental at best - and the increments are small.  Rory McIlroy might notice them, not so sure I can tell the difference.  Once in a while, there truly is a leap forward.  The Stealth 2 for example is I think vastly superior to the Gen. 1 version, but that's not the norm.  For fairways and hybrids the same applies, the year over year differences are typically minimal.  I never buy irons used (my specs are not off the shelf) but I tend to keep them for several years anyway, so I don't mind taking the depreciation "hit", and in any case there's always someone looking for well-treated used Mizunos when it's time for me to get new ones.  Wedges you should get new IMO, unless you can find discounted "demo" ones

Taylor Made Stealth 2 driver w/Tensei White S, Cobra F9 3W & 5W w/Hazrdus Black S,  Mizuno Pro221s 4-PW S-300s .75" long,   TM MG series 50,54,58.  GP Z-Grip, Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 putter.   

Yes to everything but used wedges.  Heck once you get a driver with an adapter you can sell your old head after a couple of years for a couple hundred and get the new model or one year old model of the same brand and only be out 50-100 dollars. 

image.png.498683147a0a2d450d181bb4a455268a.pngTaylor Made M1 Driver

image.png.aaa73d1ac234f4c7d7d31dddbcf12d62.pngSub 70 3 hybrid

image.jpeg.3c2957b9771bca3f24055ecf0fbba52b.jpegPing Crossover 4 iron

image.jpeg.3c2957b9771bca3f24055ecf0fbba52b.jpegi10 Ping Irons

image.png.8fb712202da2af35d3d1f803e309df58.pngVokey Wedges 52, 56, 60

I have purchased clubs for myself and my wife from Callaway pre-owned for at least 15 years, maybe 20. I buy like new and they have always been to that description. Plus, their clubs from generation to generation have similar specs other than the loft attached to the club number so fitting is easy. I have purchased drivers, fairway woods, hybrids, and irons. I haven't bought wedges because I use Vokeys. I have always had a positive experience. If you want to accept their emails, they send deals almost everyday. With a little patience you will get great deals.

Example: just purchased a Odyssey 11 putter, normally $299.99 for $96 plus tax and half shipping cost. Basically 60% off. Putter head still had shrink wrap on it. If you shop there, look for what you want on the site but call the number to order the club. If you get hooked up with one of their reps on the phone, you may, I stress may, receive additional considerations on the deal. All you have to do is read off the number attached to the club on the site and they do the rest.

I don't look at the price until it is at least 30% off.

You mentioned clubs. Callaway pre-owned also has other merchandise on the site. I buy my grips in lots of 40 because they are very cheap and I like Callaway grips. The charge for shipping is the same for 1 as it is for 40. Having those grips around means I don't have to wait when grips need a change.

I have also purchased shafts for their adjustable woods as it is easy to change those out and cheap enough to experiment.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

On 2/22/2024 at 9:07 AM, Hacker60521 said:

Hello! I’ve had this thought rattling around in my head for a while and I’d really appreciate the expertise of this group.

I’m fascinated that as soon as 2024 versions of clubs come out, the “mint” and “like new” clubs from last year are significantly reduced. For example, if you go to an online used club seller, a Taylormade Stealth 2 in “mint” condition is about $100 less than a new one from PGA Superstore. Two questions for the group.

2. Would your thoughts change on buying used if it was a driver (including fairway and hybrids), irons, or putter?

Thanks in advance!

All of the clubs in my bag are multiple generations old. For example, a TaylorMade RBZ driver, Callaway Steelhead III fairway Woods and an original Odyssey two ball white hot putter first introduced in the 2000s!! 

They all play fine for me. And I'm comfortable with my setup. That's the important thing. 

I recently tried the new AI version of my classic two ball white hot putter and it was very nice - but definitely not $300 dollars more nice. Just saying...

Bottom line: if the OP is buying equipment that's only a year or one generation old, he needn't worry about the technology and should see a much better price for the clubs throughout the bag. Go for it! 👍⛳

I am all in for buying 2-3 year old clubs. I used the 2nd Swing golf store in Columbia, MD in 2020 to upgrade my driver (TM RBZ). Took MGS' best driver listing from 2018 and looked around for as many of the top rated ones I could find. Hit them in the bay with trackman to see how they did against my RBZ. At that time did not upgrade as only one driver was a bit better than the RBZ and only by a couple yards and no improvement with dispersion. Went back in 2022 with the MGS list and this time got a Titleist TS2 that was far better than the RBZ.  Plan to go back soon to upgrade 3W and also see if any 2022/23 drivers are significantly better than my TS2. 

WITB:

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue SFW 55 stiff

Cobra  15.5*, Fujikura ATMOS 7 stiff

Cobra BioCell 19* & 22*, S flex

Ping G 5-PW AMT 2.0 S

Ping S Tour 50

Ping Glide 2.0 WS 56

Ping Glide 2.0 TS 60

YES! Olivia putter, 35"

Once you have your specs of know what shaft you are fitted for, it’s absolutely awesome to get that great deal on high quality used equipment. I picked up 2 Apex UWs in “Like new” condition from Callaway pre-owned and both came wrapped in plastic and each was over 50% off original price. 

If you can find the equipment with your specs/shafts you’ll have so much extra cash for tee times!

Edited by frazzman80

Currently in the bag:

Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Cobra LTDx 3 wood 14* | Callaway Utility Wood 17* and 21* | Callaway Apex ‘19 forged 5-PW | Edison 2.0 wedges 49*, 53*, 57* | LAB DF2.1 Broomstick 50” | Transrover bag

On 2/22/2024 at 8:07 AM, Hacker60521 said:

Hello! I’ve had this thought rattling around in my head for a while and I’d really appreciate the expertise of this group.

I’m fascinated that as soon as 2024 versions of clubs come out, the “mint” and “like new” clubs from last year are significantly reduced. For example, if you go to an online used club seller, a Taylormade Stealth 2 in “mint” condition is about $100 less than a new one from PGA Superstore. Two questions for the group.

Thanks in advance!

1. Like a couple of the first responses -- if it fits you, go for it. The performance usually doesn't change that much from year to year, so 1-2 years old is not going to be that noticeable (if at all -- note that some tour players recently benched one of the TM Stealth models for an older SIM model). But also, make sure it's a reputable source -- there is some risk of counterfeit depending on source, especially if the price feels too good to be true (in other words, don't do too much bargain hunting). Callaway Pre-owned, Global Golf (which took over TaylorMade Pre-owned), etc. are often sources where you know they're authentic. 

2. Not really. Just make sure it was treated well. Watch for dings directly on the face of putters and groove wear on irons. Look at detailed pics of the face, if available, to see if there's a notable wear pattern. "Mint" or "Excellent" shouldn't have any issue, if it's assessed appropriately. 

2a. Especially watch out for wedges. You don't want to buy wedges with much wear on the face. I think lightly used is still OK, but performance will degrade faster than other clubs. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

On 2/22/2024 at 9:07 AM, Hacker60521 said:

Thanks in advance!

I have, for the majority of my golfing career, always bought used clubs from various sources including ebay, PGA store, and Callaway Preowned as well as other sites. I am also a hobbyist club builder and keep a running communication with many professional club makers including Tom Wishon and some of the clubmakers on YouTube. There is little difference between new and good used clubs, assuming that they fit your specs. I'm a retired teacher and live. on a budget. I have bought new clubs, my last is a set of Cleveland Halo irons to help with my game (83 y/o). I know my specs and my game and try to match them up with my equipment. The most important thing is to know your game and trust the seller. Be careful out there.  

14 hours ago, THE GOLF GUY said:

Ha…. I moved to another home after I retired. My last home had 15 drivers ( one being the Burner 2.0😊)22 fairway woods , 7 sets of irons ( a set of Hogan GCD’s midsize irons still in the box ) ,too many wedges to count and finally 31 putters . I decided to get rid of most of the clubs by donating them ,but kept my Hogan GCD set and a couple of reliable putters that has served me well . Anyway , you never know what you will find at estate , yard and garage sales ! 
My latest find was an old Scotty Cameron for 5$ and a week later bought a set of Ping Eye2 beryllium copper for 50$ ! I still have some of my old golf shop machines and tools , so I use them to clean , brush and fix up clubs that I find . It’s another hobby that I enjoy . Incidentally, I cleaned up the Scotty and kept it 😊

Great little hobby you have going on there. Would love to see a picture of the Scotty you brought back to life 😉

WIMB...

Driver - TaylorMade M3 440
3W - TaylorMade M3
56º - TaylorMade RAC 12 Bounce
52º - TaylorMade RAC Satin
Irons (3-PW) - Callaway Big Bertha
Putter - TaylorMade TP Collection Del Monte 1
Balls - Titleist: Pro V1X, TruFeel, DT Solo 
Glove - Nike Tech Extreme

🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️🏌️‍♂️

1. I think it makes sense if you have a general idea of what club specifications and type works for you, if you aren’t planning on getting fit for clubs. I’ve bought plenty of used clubs and I don’t think the performance takes much if any of a hit especially in “mint” condition.

2. I would say the only thing I’d be more weary of are wedges, since the performance from the grooves can play a bigger factor.

fwiw, callaway pre-owned is solid for finding used clubs with the specs you need. I actually got some old steelhead iii woods off of there (4w & 7w for gapping) and got some ooold Ben Hogan Edge GS irons for cheap to restore off of eBay that I’ve been using as practice set for my garage mat, but they feel great for being 30+ years old.

If you can, I would get fit to have a good understanding of the specs that work best for you - and start thinking about similar clubs from prior generations if you’re looking to get a pre-owned deal.

Currently testing Ping S159 Wedges!

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I’ll tell you another way I have saved some hard earned money. Twice over the years at a demo day I decided I really liked a club. THAT CLUB and I mean that club. I convinced the rep to sell it to me in the parking lot at the end of the event. I put a sharpie mark on the shaft so we could get back to it later. It was a $500 driver and he sold it to me for $300 cash. It was used by the end of the day after all right. 

Im sure that went right in his pocket and the club was written off as damaged. But that wasn’t my concern.This method is not going to work very often but it can.

Doubt it was written off as damaged.  At the end of the season, or should I say cycle, they normally sell the demo clubs to discounters.  Like most reps, they have to get their investment back.  You lucked out.    

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S - True Temper AMT Red 94 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I convinced the rep to sell it to me in the parking lot at the end of the event. I put a sharpie mark on the shaft so we could get back to it later. It was a $500 driver and he sold it to me for $300 cash. It was used by the end of the day after all right. 

Im sure that went right in his pocket and the club was written off as damaged. But that wasn’t my concern.

That gives new meaning to your driver having a "hot face". 

Ok, I'll eye roll myself on that one haha 🙄

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G20

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone (adj loft +1.5 to 16 deg) 

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone