Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What is your driver for 2024?

GolfSpy_APH

For the moment, my Cobra F9 is staying in the bag.

I've done a little bit of testing against the Darkspeed LS and AI Smoke drivers. The F9 is certainly keeping up with the new kids on the block, with the Darkspeed (using same shaft) and AI Smoke being only 2-3mph faster on ball speed. 

In terms of forgiveness, I think the AI Smoke is more forgiving and it looks the best behind the ball. 

Ultimately, I think this is the year that I will be saying goodbye to the F9 as it is looking a bit tired at the moment, with there being small paint-marks on the crown from interactions with the practice hitting nets at my home club. I have a wide swing path, similar to Rickie Fowler, so when hitting driver, I've occasionally made contact with the net.

If I am to replace my F9, it will have to be a choice between the Callaway AI Smoke TD, Ping G430 LST (a few of the members at my club have them in the bag) and Cobra Darkspeed LS drivers.

Driver: Cobra F9 Speedback (9.0) with Fujikura Atmos 7X (Avalanche White) 

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Sub-Zero (15 degrees) in Rogue Max 75g stiff shaft

Hybrid (not in play): Callaway Apex 20 degree with Kurokage 80g Stiff Shaft

Driving Iron: Wilson Staff Utility Iron 18 degree with KBS Hybrid Stiff shaft

Irons: Wilson Staff CB 4-PW in KBS 120 Stiff shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50; Callaway MD4 - 56; Vokey SM9 - 60

Putter: Taylormade Rossa CGB

Golf Ball: Srixon Z-Star Diamond 

The old TM Super Burner 2.0 is staying for me. Its very consistent, and while I know something new could definitely get the ball out further, I have a lot of other things that need to improve first.  Maybe next season i'll get fit for something new 

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:ping-small: i3 5 Wood

:titleist-small:SM7 56*,60*, SM8 52*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

I am still playing my Cobra Ltdx ls. I have been a Taylormade fan pretty much my whole life. I bought a Sim when the Sim 2 came out. Not only did I struggle to hit it well, but the durability just wasn't there. I had a toe strike (not that far out on the toe either) and it dented the head out past the club face. It then proceeded to crack where the weight track is. I started to look at the stealth and started to see a whole lot of people having drivers fall apart. That's fine if you can just go to the tour truck and get another one. I am not that guy. I seen Rick Shiels do a review on the Cobra and thought I will give it a shot. My experience has been nothing short of spectacular. I will probably only play Cobra from now on. 

Just made a switch on driver this year. Went from mavrik to the ai smoke.  The ai sold me when mishits we're finding fairway and long. Center hit picked up about 7 10 yds in side by side. Looking forward to getting even better position for approaches this year.  Mavrik is a great club but after testing wa ai falling behind in tech 

Playing qi10ls unless it breaks like my last 2 stealth plus then I will be selling that head and getting fit for a real driver 

Taylormade, PXG, Cleveland, KN Signature Putters 

The 10.5* G410 LST is staying in the bag this year.  The 60g Hzrdus Smoke 6.5 shaft keeps me in the fairway.  I went to this driver last year when going from a 9 - 10.5 degree driver to gain some height and it has been very consistent.

I have hit it so well that it decided my answer for Ping in the single brand thread because it is the one club i dont want to give up.  

IMG_20240318_075239216.jpg.075ea58af9002ac07fc173ad20f87603.jpg

IMG_20240318_075354723_HDR.jpg.341069095c93c1ce1ac646561e0f98e8.jpg

IMG_20240318_075442083.jpg.74b9e90ce3a643c993ebf003313375b9.jpg

IMG_20240318_075427134.jpg.c5309c49e655573868dbb426979ebbcd.jpg

IMG_20240318_075506159.jpg.b9346ab51d0ec850fa915220577985d4.jpg

Edited by Shapotomous

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

i’m sticking with PXG 0311 Gen 5 10.5 with Hazardus Smoke RDX Stiff. Straight, seems to keep up with 2023 Ping, Callaway and TM models i’ve tested for distance (driver the least of my problems).

Tony Penna Putter

Akira 58 wedge, orig graphite stiff for irons

PRGR ID Nabla forged tour irons 5-P weak

Adams 5 hybrid UST Proforce Hybrid Stiff

Callaway UW17,19 Hazardous Smoke RDX S

PXG Gen 5 0311 10.5, Hazardous Smoke RDX 

PXG 0211 Driver with a ventus blue stiff shaft. Got it last year and love it! 

Cleveland putter #8

Kirkland wedges

PXG xcor2 irons (p-5)

PXG 0211 4 hyb, 3 wood and Driver

I used a Cobra LTDx most of 2022 and 2023, won a new Aerojet from Volition so going to start the year trying it out. 

Cobra Aerojet
Ping G425 2 Hybrid
Taylormade SIM Max irons and Hi-TOE wedges

Odyssey Triple Track TenS

On 3/16/2024 at 3:02 PM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Is it old faithful from years past? Did you just pick up a new one that is going to be your gamer?

This is going to be an interesting one for me. I’m looking to bring my bag in for a ‘tune up’ at a local fitter at some point. Makes sure the lofts/lies swing weight etc. are all checking out across the bag. 

The big thing, however, is to compare my current Maltby KE4 driver to a newly picked up Callaway Epic Speed driver. Hoping to tune the specs on each see if any additional shaft adjustments are needed and declare a winner.

Once I get the numbers I plan on having fun with a post to share the experience and winner!

Currently testing Ping S159 Wedges!

Sticking with my R11. Too cheap to go after a newer one. I tried some used newer model ones in the past year, and I didn't like them. I think I tried the TS3, and Epic Speed (which I still have)

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

Hey guys. I'm using and loving the Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS 10.5 deg lowered to 9.5 with a Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White shaft which is low spin with a high kick point. What a great combo. Great feeling, smooth. It's hard for me to miss with this thing. I'd be stupid to switch, not messing with a good thing. Cheers

Kevin WP

So far, I can't justify getting a new driver. Keeping my 2022 Cobra LTDx Max, but may cut shaft (Getting shorter in both drives and stature as I get older). Using the beautiful electric blue Nike Vapor Fly sometimes.

Best, -Marv 

Still playing the TSR2 10 Degree.  

Brad Lee

Current index is 5.9

Driver - Titleist TSR2 10 Degree Hazurdus 60g

3 Wood - Titleist TSR2 15 Degree Tensi Blue 65g

5 Wood - Titleist TSR2 18 Degree Tensi Blue 65g

Irons 4 - PW Titleist T100 Rifle 6.0

Wedges 50, 54, 60 Vokey SM9 - Rifle 7.0

Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5

Ball - ProV1

I'm OD (out dare!) not OB. Love my Ai Smoke Max 9* @ -1, D  

This driver checks all of the important boxes for me, accuracy, distance and feel. Big plus, I can still see a little face on -1 giving me confidence in my aim.  I'm  not a fan of the black faces, especially in the shadows for that reason. 

Ai Smoke Max is staying in my bag until I'm good enough to play the TD.  I may upgrade shafts in the future but this driver has found a permanent home in my bag. I haven't pulled or hooked a shot OB since. Same goes for the Max 3FW, I love it too! The jury is still out on the HW, I may need a heavier shaft. 

IMG_6189.jpeg

Driver Ai Smoke Max 9* set at 8*

3 FW Ai Smoke

HW Ai Smoke

Hybrid G430

Irons Callaway Apex 21 Forged CB

Putter Ping Answer 2 PLD

Wedges Titleist Vokey SM9 56M and 60S

Ball, Vice Pro-Plus 

Handicap 6 

47 minutes ago, xXxVUDUxXx said:

I am still playing my Cobra Ltdx ls. I have been a Taylormade fan pretty much my whole life. I bought a Sim when the Sim 2 came out. Not only did I struggle to hit it well, but the durability just wasn't there. I had a toe strike (not that far out on the toe either) and it dented the head out past the club face. It then proceeded to crack where the weight track is. I started to look at the stealth and started to see a whole lot of people having drivers fall apart. That's fine if you can just go to the tour truck and get another one. I am not that guy. I seen Rick Shiels do a review on the Cobra and thought I will give it a shot. My experience has been nothing short of spectacular. I will probably only play Cobra from now on. 

Took me to page 3 to find the comment I was looking for. Cobra wins. I played every driver known to man until RadSpeed came out. It easily beat everything else. Then LTDXLS. Now DarkSpeed LS 9* turned down to 8*. Every year I try all the new offerings from every major company. None of them beat Cobra. This years LS head with the heavy weight in the back is incredible. Unbelievably stable and the ball screams off the face. I've got a few different Velo shafts. So far the Blue 6S is the best combo for me. Tight draw after tight draw. A mishit causes a little fade. I am definitely sold on Cobra. They're really doing something right with their drivers.

I'll be sticking to my same pairing this year but might demo one of the newer drivers.  I'm currently using the Ping 425 Max 9 degree and the TaylorMade mini driver in 11-degree loft.

After doing some testing last year with my fitter I am sticking with my Callaway Mavrik (Year 4) with the Riptide 50 gram 6.0 but I might tinker with a new shaft.  The numbers showed that when hitting the center of the face there wasn't much if any difference in distance, so no need to spend $600 on something that will help me if I mishit the shot ... I just need to find the sweet spot most of the time.

After doing some testing last year with my fitter I am sticking with my Callaway Mavrik (Year 4) with the Riptide 50 gram 6.0 but I might tinker with a new shaft.  The numbers showed that when hitting the center of the face there wasn't much if any difference in distance, so no need to spend $600 on something that will help me if I mishit the shot ... I just need to find the sweet spot most of the time.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver 9*

:callaway-small: Mavrik 3 Metal

:callaway-small: Mavrik 5 Metal

:mizuno-small: JPX 923 Hot Metal 5-Gap

:callaway-small: 54* Sand Wedge

:callaway-small: 60* Lob Wedge

:scotty-small: Scotty Phantom 5.5 Putter

Golfer BG

For sure my old stand by. G400 Ping. Just finished 2 wks in Orange Beach AL. Only able to go 4 rounds due to weather, but that was 4 times sooner than if I stayed in the MI snowbelt. Can't show a pic of McSkruffy as it's packed away in the topper as we drive north. Looks like 3 weeks at the earliest till the next round. Sub70 004 mallet still performing great.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

2 hours ago, golfjunky79 said:

Well went a diffrent route this year. Struggle with driver but hit 3 wood excellently so went inbetween. 11.5 degree taylormade brnr mini driver. Love it so far. Put the heavy weight to the front set it down to 9.5 degrees and it is a monster of a driver in a little package and stingers off the fairway that carry 240 is also nice.

Just picked up a brnr mini driver a month ago. Played two rounds with it in Costa Rica and absolutely LOVED it. Not only am I hitting it straighter, but I actually picked up a few yards. I use Arccos, so I know I picked up yardage for a fact. Hard to beat that combo....straighter AND longer. 

Coach Mark

Ironically, I've got the PING G430 MAX driver up 1.5º with the weight biased towards draw for most shots and it's completely gotten rid of my nasty slice. That and getting a tour stiffness shaft at 65 g has been huge. Allowed me to get my TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast that just sprayed it all over the yard. 

Cheers,

Wepps

Callaway Paradym 10.5 w/ HZRDUS 50g Stiff Shaft

:callaway-small: Paradym Drijver 10.5*

:taylormade-small: RBZ 3 Wood 14*

:cleveland-small: Hybrid 19*

:callaway-small: Apex 19 Irons (4-AW)

:callaway-small: Jaws Chrome Wedges (52,56,60) S-Grind

:odyssey-small: White Hot #5 Putter (33in)

Definitely gaming a new Cobra Dark Speed X, which I like a lot; the question is the shaft. I recently bought the 9 deg head turned up to 10.5 (I like the looks at address better than t0.5 head) with the stock LINQ M40X 5F3 shaft. I got to play a couple of practice rounds here in Michigan and was pleased with its forgiveness and length, but I wasn't happy with the generally lower ball height I got. After reading about the Newton shaft in this forum, I emailed Angelo some LM info and he recommended a 3 dot that would/should provide some additional height. Just before pulling the trigger, though, I decided to put a Cobra adapter on my Motore X F3 shaft originally bought for a Callaway driver, just to test out. It definitely improved my ball flight, but my accuracy declined, I'm guessing because of the longer shaft that resulted from just adding the longer Cobra adapter. I'm going to play around with this set-up for a bit before making any further changes, like cutting down the Motore X or trying out the Newton. Regardless of the shaft, though, I'm happy with the improved length and forgiveness of the Cobra head.

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.