How'd you play?

MmmmmmBuddy

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

Blowup holes are my big issue as well.  Ball striking is generally pretty good but then massive blowups.   It probably isnt a swing thing but more mental focus.  When you hit a bad shot you have to get back into the round and focus on the next shot.   In your example all the bad shots are probably tied to the bad tee shot and then the downward spiral continues.  Staying mentally focused over each shot for 18 holes.  Try hat Scott Fawcett advocates as part of decade and make a mental scorecard for each shot and assess how committed you were to the shot and did you swing reflect that commitment.  

8 hours ago, DeBartola_B said:

I am certainly no scratch or excellent player but not too long ago I was sort of in the same boat as you.  Handicap around 12 and started looking at things differently and it went down to an 8.

I know it will sound cliche but the best way to avoid the blow up hole is to not compound a bad shot with another bad shot or poor decision.  Bogey is your friend, you can never ruin your round with one bogey.  Take your medicine, play for bogey with an errant tee shot, if you happen to hit an amazing approach you could luck out with a par.

Sounds simple but I have found it to be extremely affective.  It is tough to do because it is so boring, but good golf is often boring.

5 hours ago, Rickp said:

Staying focused for 5+ hours is tough on anyone.  Slow pace will lead me to more blowup holes.

5 hours ago, CarlH said:

What I have to remind myself is that everyone hits a bad shot now and then.  The trick is not to let the bad shot control your mindset.  Give yourself 5-10 seconds to berate yourself (if you must), then let it go.  I play with a guy that can play decent golf, but he is so hard on himself that he's literally a self-fulfilling prophecy.  He carries that bad shot for several holes and then is still talking about it over a beer after the round.  You can't do that!  I heard a phrase and I can't recall who it came from but it went something like this:  "It wasn't the double bogey that ruined your score.  It was thinking about that double bogey for the next 5 holes that ruined it."  Ya gotta let it go, bro!  I find that when I have a bad shot or a bad hole, I perform best if I just forget it happened rather than trying to force a birdie to make up for it and just play the next shot.  I know that sounds trite, but it is true.  The last shot is no longer important.  The one you're hitting next is the only one that should matter.

Thanks for the advice guys.  I feel like I'm improving at taking it one shot at a time, but I can't help but want to get there faster.  😀  I'm worlds better than I was 4 months ago, haven't melted down totally in a while and I don't tend to have multiple blowup holes in a row anymore.  Seems like when I hit the next tee box I've found a way to put it behind me.  I just seem to have a problem falling into that 'gotta get it back cycle' after a bad shot.   I've just gotta pull myself out of that mindset mid hole.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

15 hours ago, Syks7 said:

Anyone got any tips on how they've smoothed over blowups?

Here is what I found to help not ruin scores for me:

1. When I am not striking the ball solid, don't rush through the course. I need time to "forget" a bad shot before I stand over the next. My playing partners always drive on carts, so if I have an off day, I walk and just leave my bag on the cart. That way I get time to get over a bad strike without slowing down play. 
  2. When in trouble of the tee, just play it safe and get back into play. Forget about the awesome recoveries you see the Pro's hit out of the bush, I am not good enough to be certain that I will miss all the trees in the narrow opening there might be. If I was that accurate, I wouldn't be in the bush 30m off line in the first place. 
  3. Always, Aim small.
  4. Get a proper pre-shot routine and stick to it on every shot. 
Edited by Philip_R

default_titelist-small.jpg.ce9f42d5694f285c498235c26f81ca24.jpg TS3 8.5°

default_taylormade-small.jpg.38fe6f95dda21245f3fac3407e54d0b3.jpg RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5°

default_srixon-small.jpg.a483cde88014a8db05be8135e23aff6e.jpg ZX Utility 3 iron

default_srixon-small.jpg.a483cde88014a8db05be8135e23aff6e.jpg ZX7 4 Iron - PW

default_cleveland-small.jpg.903af6280bdadd06ef9c8f0c4dfe4218.jpg 54° and 60° Wedges

default_scotty-cameron-1.gif.aa4eac2325a98c0e94d74d30721a263a.gif Newport 2 Gunmetal

default_titelist-small.jpg.ce9f42d5694f285c498235c26f81ca24.jpg Pro V1

Garmin Fenix 6 X Pro with Garmin Golf to track stats and use for on course range finding

22 hours ago, bens197 said:

4.5 hours of Creed & Nickelback will do that to a phone 🤣

Fancy!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Got out yesterday at Windmill and played in 3.5 hours, which was a surprise. 

Shot a 43/42 85. Couldn't swing the driver on Sunday and yesterday I was hitting some great tee shots. My P Average for driver this year is 253 yards, for yesterday it was 279 with a FIR of 67% on the back.  😲 

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

7 hours ago, Philip_R said:

Here is what I found to help not ruin scores for me:

1. When I am not striking the ball solid, don't rush through the course. I need time to "forget" a bad shot before I stand over the next. My playing partners always drive on carts, so if I have an off day, I walk and just leave my bag on the cart. That way I get time to get over a bad strike without slowing down play. 
  2. When in trouble of the tee, just play it safe and get back into play. Forget about the awesome recoveries you see the Pro's hit out of the bush, I am not good enough to be certain that I will miss all the trees in the narrow opening there might be. If I was that accurate, I wouldn't be in the bush 30m off line in the first place. 
  3. Always, Aim small.
  4. Get a proper pre-shot routine and stick to it on every shot. 

Remember, golf is 18 small games. When you have a bad hole, just remember that is was one of 18 games.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

1 hour ago, fozcycle said:

Remember, golf is 18 small games. When you have a bad hole, just remember that is was one of 18 games.

I Play it as if every shot is its own game. The score is just an afterthought if you play every shot the best you can with total focus. 

default_titelist-small.jpg.ce9f42d5694f285c498235c26f81ca24.jpg TS3 8.5°

default_taylormade-small.jpg.38fe6f95dda21245f3fac3407e54d0b3.jpg RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5°

default_srixon-small.jpg.a483cde88014a8db05be8135e23aff6e.jpg ZX Utility 3 iron

default_srixon-small.jpg.a483cde88014a8db05be8135e23aff6e.jpg ZX7 4 Iron - PW

default_cleveland-small.jpg.903af6280bdadd06ef9c8f0c4dfe4218.jpg 54° and 60° Wedges

default_scotty-cameron-1.gif.aa4eac2325a98c0e94d74d30721a263a.gif Newport 2 Gunmetal

default_titelist-small.jpg.ce9f42d5694f285c498235c26f81ca24.jpg Pro V1

Garmin Fenix 6 X Pro with Garmin Golf to track stats and use for on course range finding

On 2/27/2022 at 8:53 AM, CarlH said:

Haven't been able to play lately so I offer this instead.....274701815_495032232233215_1239974213987633718_n.jpg.cbd4d50c460c977140fa7694ca94eaf0.jpg

Sending this to the DOT lol 

Driver: Taylormade Sim 2 Max

3 Wood: Callaway Epic Max

Driving Iron: Titleist u510

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr

Irons: Taylormade P760

Wedges: Vokey Jet Black 52/56/60

Putter: Taylormade Spider X

Ball: ProV1x

Got a few swings in before wrist started to hurt again, but it wasn’t the bad pain. Now this morning it’s not bad at all. Probably wait till next week to swing again, but feeling like this thing is healing itself up. 
I'm telling ya, getting old sux…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

2 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Got a few swings in before wrist started to hurt again, but it wasn’t the bad pain. Now this morning it’s not bad at all. Probably wait till next week to swing again, but feeling like this thing is healing itself up. 

Yep!  Everyday experience for me... wake up, see what hurts the most, play my best possible golf.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

43 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Yep!  Everyday experience for me... wake up, see what hurts the most, play my best possible golf.

I’m hoping this is the oddball injury, and not the beginning of the end…

but, …. If this is how it goes, I’ll be getting addicted to some type of pain reliever…

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

17 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

I’m hoping this is the oddball injury, and not the beginning of the end…

but, …. If this is how it goes, I’ll be getting addicted to some type of pain reliever…

Except for my knee issues, all of my aches and pains are oddball injuries.  Most of them I can't think of what I did to hurt that much.

I was taking 2 generic naproxen every morning until my dr. visit last year.  I needed to cut back, and I found that I could play OK if I just took it within an hour of play.  Since I only play 3-4 times a week, that is cutting back... right?

I actually don't need it for 9 hole play, and there are times when I feel better than usual so I skip it.  It's not as good as the prescription hydrocodone I was on before my knee replacement, but I don't feel as bad after I play when I do take it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Got out to my favorite course in CLE yesterday morning - Sugar Bush in Garrettsville, Ohio. I shot a 40/39 with 0 birdies, 0 doubles, and 0 penalties. I had 5 up & downs, but 3 3 putts. I always love playing here.

So I've been gaming the Z-Star for a few years now, but I've been dabbling with the X balls this season. I tried ProV1x, TP5x, Tour BX, and the XV. These balls just don't hold greens for me, and I'm not sure why. It's weird because these are supposed to be higher spinning off wedges than the Z-Star. Yet the Z sits within a foot or so of it's pitch mark whereas these X balls jump 10-15 feet from the mark. I did have 2 rounds mixed in, one with BX and one with TP5x, that I was getting a few feet of rip back from the pitch. But those were early morning rounds on freshly watered & dewy greens. Anyone have ideas?

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

23 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

Yup , sure does!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

5 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Got out to my favorite course in CLE yesterday morning - Sugar Bush in Garrettsville, Ohio. I shot a 40/39 with 0 birdies, 0 doubles, and 0 penalties. I had 5 up & downs, but 3 3 putts. I always love playing here.

So I've been gaming the Z-Star for a few years now, but I've been dabbling with the X balls this season. I tried ProV1x, TP5x, Tour BX, and the XV. These balls just don't hold greens for me, and I'm not sure why. It's weird because these are supposed to be higher spinning off wedges than the Z-Star. Yet the Z sits within a foot or so of it's pitch mark whereas these X balls jump 10-15 feet from the mark. I did have 2 rounds mixed in, one with BX and one with TP5x, that I was getting a few feet of rip back from the pitch. But those were early morning rounds on freshly watered & dewy greens. Anyone have ideas?

I think each ball is going to perform differently for everyone, so without getting on a sim and actually checking spin rates they may not perform as advertised on the box.

If you're playing the Z-Star though, I would recommend giving the Z-Star ◊ a try - I've made the switch and love it.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Utility - :mizuno-small: Pro 225 3i, Mitsubishi MMT 105S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

6 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Not all x balls are equal. The tp5x is going be lower spinning than prov1x and tp5.

Simple solution is to hit x and non x balls on the course and compare them to see what performs overall best. Some may perform better in some parts of the game like short game and scoring irons but not so good in the long game or vice versa.

Test them from the green back. Figure out what you want to feel/hear in putting and what you want balls to do around the green. Eliminate the ones that don’t work for you. Then test them from whatever scoring distance you choose, then with mid/long iron and then off the tee. Choose which one is the best overall.

Harder is to do all that with launch monitor and see what the differences are number wise as well as results 

Always test them in the same environment/course conditions 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, gavinski91 said:

I think each ball is going to perform differently for everyone, so without getting on a sim and actually checking spin rates they may not perform as advertised on the box.

If you're playing the Z-Star though, I would recommend giving the Z-Star ◊ a try - I've made the switch and love it.

Yes, the Z-Star Diamond is at the top of the list. I did the Ping Ballnamic fitting 4 times and the Diamond was the #1 recommendation each time. It's supposed to be a tweener ball that's not quite an X, so that one may work out. And while I didn't mention it in the post, I also tried the Snell MTB-X and that ball did work well for me. I may switch to them once my 3doz Z-Stars are used up. 

Take Dead Aim

6 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

So I've been gaming the Z-Star for a few years now, but I've been dabbling with the X balls this season.

... Have you played the Maxfli Tour? If you like the Z Star you will love the Maxfli Tour. You could buy 2 dozen for $60 mixing in the Maxfli Tour X, but I find the Tour X a little more spinny and a little shorter than the Tour. My playing pard bought a dozen of each and after a sleeve of the Tour X he gave them to me. He hits it much farther than I do and found the Tour X quite a bit shorter than his ProV1's and the Tour. I have read some found the opposite so since you are experimenting with X balls might be worth giving the Tour X a shot. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

41 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Have you played the Maxfli Tour? If you like the Z Star you will love the Maxfli Tour. You could buy 2 dozen for $60 mixing in the Maxfli Tour X, but I find the Tour X a little more spinny and a little shorter than the Tour. My playing pard bought a dozen of each and after a sleeve of the Tour X he gave them to me. He hits it much farther than I do and found the Tour X quite a bit shorter than his ProV1's and the Tour. I have read some found the opposite so since you are experimenting with X balls might be worth giving the Tour X a shot. 

When DSG was closing out the previous generation I picked up 2doz of the Tour for $50. So I've got those in the cupboard to try as well.

Take Dead Aim

20 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

When DSG was closing out the previous generation I picked up 2doz of the Tour for $50. So I've got those in the cupboard to try as well.

... Just an FYI but the previous version was a really good ball but I do think the new ones are better in most every way (other than the more pronounced alignment aid). Not a night and day difference, but a subtle difference. 

Another game of Wolf today with the same two guys as Tuesday.  If I have my best game, I can hang with them, but they are more consistent than I am (and they know this course and greens better than I do).

Not so good today; shot 81 with no birdies, but no doubles either.  The biggest difference today was poor putting.  Had my chances but couldn't convert.  The other guys tied with rounds of 78.  The bad news is that I gave back 9 of the 12 quarters I won on Tuesday!!  Seems like every time I had a decent hole as the Wolf, one of them had a better hole!

10 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

The biggest difference today was poor putting.  Had my chances but couldn't convert.

... It must be to hard to putt and keep your balance with a treasure chest of quarters in your pocket. Now that you are down to 3, next round should be a better day on the greens If you add a fourth quarter and two in each pocket for balance. 🤑

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It must be to hard to putt and keep your balance with a treasure chest of quarters in your pocket. Now that you are down to 3, next round should be a better day on the greens If you add a fourth quarter and two in each pocket for balance. 🤑

The quarters go in the cart drink cup holder; the loser tosses one (or 2) into each cup holder at the next tee.  This course can be walked, but there are some long walks from green to tee.  We get free carts anyway... and the temps are heating up!!

I start with a dozen in the cup holder, and we keep track to see who is up and down.  The quarters can go fast when one of us "double howls".  A few years ago when I first started playing with them, I ran out of quarters!!  One guy offered to sell me some... 3 for a dollar!!  😂  I now have a bag of quarters just so I don't run out.

4 hours ago, chisag said:

Interesting.  I'm hitting the Tour X.  Haven't experimented with the regular Tour.  I was hitting Snell MTB-X prior.  The Tour X indeed spin on the green.  Can't comment on being shorter than the regular, but they're longer than the Snell MTB-X....at least from my observations.  I have 5 dozen + of the Tour X, but I may pick up some of the Tour next time I'm at Dick's as an experiment.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Today's MGA game was individual stroke play with an aside to "beat the pros".  The deal was Best Ball gross from the 2 pros vs individuals net score.  Bet whatever you want from $10-$100.  If you win you get 125% credit.  If you lose, your wager goes straight to your credit account, so you don't really lose (other than the retail loss of cash vs store credit).  In any case, I didn't beat the pros.  Shoot, I didn't even beat my self!

Shotgun start and I started on the par 3 #16.  Missed a 3 foot birdie putt!!!!  Then on #17, I miss a 5 foot birdie putt!!!!  Oy vey.  18, my third shot goes long over the green, poor pitch on the green that rolls down 2 tiers and I 3 putt for a double.  It only gets worse from there.  Overall, I have 5 doubles (all due to poor chip/pitch) and limp in with an 88 (net 81)...the pros were even par.  It's discouraging when you shoot your handicap and you haven't even made the turn yet!!! LOL.  I love this game!  Better day tomorrow one would hope!

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

... In the MGS ball tests the Maxfli Tour compared to the X with the driver:

+6.67 yds High Speed
+14.67 yds Mid Speed
-1.39 yds Slow Speed

... Figuring I am somewhere between mid and slow combining the two I get +6.64 yds with the Tour. As I have always said these number are just starting points and everyone is different but around 3-5 yds longer is about right for me. 

1 hour ago, CarlH said:

Interesting.  I'm hitting the Tour X.  Haven't experimented with the regular Tour.  I was hitting Snell MTB-X prior.  The Tour X indeed spin on the green.  Can't comment on being shorter than the regular, but they're longer than the Snell MTB-X....at least from my observations.  I have 5 dozen + of the Tour X, but I may pick up some of the Tour next time I'm at Dick's as an experiment.

I found the Tour to be longer off the tee than the Tour X as well when compared head-to-head. Personally felt like the Tour X / ProV1x / MTB-X are all similar for me, at least similar enough that I don't notice a huge difference.

I could not get the regular Tour to react reliably going into greens. This year I played several rounds with some older Z-Stars and didn't have that problem, but I also added more loft on my irons and fixed some swing things that were making my dynamic loft at impact way too low.

If the Tour X came in yellow I'd buy a couple dozen over the Snells which are now not as great of a deal as in year's past.

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 7.5 / Anti-Cap: 13.0 (Last Updated Feb. 19, 2024)

Driver: callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Paradym TD (10.5°, -1/N), 45.75", Fujikura Motore X F1 6X | Fitting Post
3 Wood: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra RadSpeed Big Tour (14.5°), 43", Fujikura Motore X F1 7X
20° Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.8401024d1fb8aec46f0e790c1aa5b80c.png PXG 0211 (2020 Model), 40.25", Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW White 90X
4 Utility: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING Utility (2020 Model), 38.5", Aerotech SteelFiber i110cw Stiff
5-PW:
logo-Ben-Hogan-large.png.98d743ae5487285c6406a1e30a0a63b5.png Ben Hogan PTx Pro, 37" 7 Iron, Aerotech SteelFiber i125cw Stiff | Club Champion Fitting
50°, 54°, 58°:
231036130_Edel_Golf_Logo_v2_grandecopy.png.13cc76b963f8dd59f06d04b1e8df2827.png Edel SMS, V Grind, Nippon Modus 125 Wedge| Official Review Thread
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3° | Unofficial Review
Grips: 
stargrip.png.4285948f41f1409613266e7803f0bbaa.png Star Sidewinder, Undersized with Custom Tape Build-Up
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: shotscope.png.4a7089f2bddff325285b1266a61dda03.png  Shot Scope H4
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: 
image.png.1db52ce91db040317a9ac580f1df8de8.pngBag Boy Nitron | Official Review Thread

WITB? | 2022 Reviewer Edel SMS Wedges | 2021 Reviewer Maxfli Tour and Tour X Balls2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

I had a very unique round today.  Went as a single & got hooked up with 3 beginners.  After I birdied the par 5 #1 hole they said "you go ahead, we are just learning".  So I took off.  There was a 4 some in front of me.  I just played 3-4 balls on every hole.  Was a blast!  That round was equal to 54+ holes.  Got to hit & learn spots on that course that will really improve my HDCP.  Perfect practice round!

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Tensei AV Blue 55 R

Callaway 4+ Wood Steelhead XR - Tensei CK 65 R

Callaway 5 Wood Steelhead XR - Tensei CK 55 R

Callaway Heavenwood Steelhead XR - Tensei CK 55 R

TaylorMade Rescue Mid 3 (19*) - SteelFiber i95 R

TaylorMade Rescue Mid 4 (22*) - SteelFiber i95 R

TaylorMade Rescue Mid 5 (25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

16 minutes ago, sandpounder said:

I had a very unique round today.  Went as a single & got hooked up with 3 beginners.  After I birdied the par 5 #1 hole they said "you go ahead, we are just learning".  So I took off.  There was a 4 some in front of me.  I just played 3-4 balls on every hole.  Was a blast!  That round was equal to 54+ holes.  Got to hit & learn spots on that course that will really improve my HDCP.  Perfect practice round!

Happens to my wife and I quite often.  I think they view us as intimidating and play worse than normal.  I know I was when I played with strangers when I was learning the game.  I am always happy to oblige!

Practice rounds like that are important for game improvement.  It's important to our body learning a correct movement to hit the shot you envision.  If you don't, try again... one of the key points in Daniel Coyle's, The Talent Code.  We never get to do that during a normal round.