Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Same flex in all clubs

Lambo

Is it wrong to have a different flex in your clubs?

I've got regular in all clubs except the driver, which is S flex.

Not sure if this is the right set up, but it's working for me at the moment.

Any thoughts.

It's working for you. 'Nuff said.

Shambles

Freddy Couples I think played a ladies 5 wood for years with great success. If he went just by recommendations he would prob play xstiff in everything.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

For starters flex isn't consistent as others have said but also all things being equal it's not all that unusual for someone to use a stiffer flex in the driver than in his other clubs under the theory that the stiffer shaft forces him to go after it a bit more.

Regardless if that's what you were fit for and it's working by all means do it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Flex isn't consistent across brands let alone within the brand. It's entirely possible to roll with a X, S, and R all in the same set and yet be consistent flex wise.

Exactly what he said. You could have different brands with different shaft flexes, which are basically the same thing. Especially now, shafts are becoming more whippy in many cases in an attempt to create more distance.

Like everyone else said, if it works, don't challenge it

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

I like Mark and his reviews generally but that video is a steaming pile of bovine feces in terms of accurate information.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

I don't know that I would agree with this and would like to hear others with more technical capabilites than I weigh in. As an extreme I don't see my 7 year old grandson hitting a 3 iron with a heavy, tour stiff shaft in it as well as one that's light with an A flex in it no matter how it might feel to him. In fact I see him developing all sorts of bad habits that might make him quit golf and never play it again if he uses the former.

However what is true is that what Adams calls an S flex is different from what Callaway calls an S flex and so on and so forth. In fact what Adams calls an S flex in one shaft might be entired different from what it calls an S flex in another shaft.

In the end it's what performs best not what feels best - if what peforms best and what feels best is the same - great - if not what performs best will start to feel really good after some striped shots.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I like Mark and his reviews generally but that video is a steaming pile of bovine feces in terms of accurate information.

You dont trust Trackman then?

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I don't know that I would agree with this and would like to hear others with more technical capabilites than I weigh in. As an extreme I don't see my 7 year old grandson hitting a 3 iron with a heavy, tour stiff shaft in it as well as one that's light with an A flex in it no matter how it might feel to him. In fact I see him developing all sorts of bad habits that might make him quit golf and never play it again if he uses the former.

However what is true is that what Adams calls an S flex is different from what Callaway calls an S flex and so on and so forth. In fact what Adams calls an S flex in one shaft might be entired different from what it calls an S flex in another shaft.

In the end it's what performs best not what feels best - if what peforms best and what feels best is the same - great - if not what performs best will start to feel really good after some striped shots.

Adams is a special case though because they (and Cleveland) are the only ones to use real shafts in their clubs. Clevelands will all be the same because all are Miyazakis with the same standard for flex code. Adams uses different shaft makers (almost entirely MRC, Matrix, or KBS nowadays) so the flex will be different across the brand yes.

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

1353782714[/url]' post='80421']

Adams is a special case though because they (and Cleveland) are the only ones to use real shafts in their clubs. Clevelands will all be the same because all are Miyazakis with the same standard for flex code. Adams uses different shaft makers (almost entirely MRC, Matrix, or KBS nowadays) so the flex will be different across the brand yes.

Not sure why the myth of all Adams shafts being "real deal" perpetuates. They have used a lot of made for Matrix shafts over the years.

As for the other companies, Callaway and Titleist are using real deal shafts this year.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Is it wrong to have a different flex in your clubs?

I've got regular in all clubs except the driver, which is S flex.

Not sure if this is the right set up, but it's working for me at the moment.

Any thoughts.

I use stiff in everything except my fairway wood (Adams Speedline Fast 12 / 17 Degree) which I went down to a regular flex to help me get it up in the air.

LEFTY CANUCK

Irons: Nike VR / Dynamic Golf (S-Flex)

Wedges: Nike 52, 56, 60 / Cobra 64

Hybrid: Nike 3/20^ / Mitsubishi Rayon

Fairway: Adams 4/17^ Speedline Fast 12 / G ProLaunch

Driver: Callaway 10^ FTI / Fujikura Speeder (S-Flex)

Putter: Nike OZ-2 Modified

Ball: Prov V1

Shoes: Adidas

Bag: Nike (Stand)

Range Finder: Bushnell Laser

Handicap:6

Archived