Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2014 Nike Lunar Control Shoes

SPY ZINGER

SS14_552073_LunarControl_Family-1_PPT_detail.jpg

Nike Lunarlon technology provides the ultimate in comfort, control and support  -

BEAVERTON, Ore. (January 7, 2014) – Rory McIlroy loves how lightweight his Nike Lunar Control shoes are. “They feel like you can wear them all day, they're incredibly comfortable,” he says.

Paul Casey says it's “the impeccable traction with the ground” that is key in his decision to lace up in Lunar Controls week after week.

And Kyle Stanley likes that he doesn't have to break them in. “They're ready to wear, right out of the box,” he says. “I wouldn't wear anything else.”

Nike Golf Athletes sport the Nike Lunar Control on Tour more than any other shoe because it offers the control and lightweight cushioning they need round after round – and now they have an expressive range of bold and confident colors to choose from.

“The shoe is designed to be in contact with the ground as much as possible and that enables me to push off the ground with more control,” Casey says. “For me, it's always incredible how Nike creates great shoes, and then improves on them in the next generation.”

Vibrant colors such as Venom Green, Military Blue and Challenge Red pop against white and black premium full-grain leather uppers and highlight Nike's proprietary full-length Lunarlon technology, a lightweight cushioning system that is highly responsive, resulting in a unique combination of comfort and support.

“Our Tour athletes are on their feet all day, every day – they know what they need out of a golf shoe to perform at their best,” says Lee Walker, Nike Golf Global Footwear Marketing Director. “We relied heavily on their insights to create a shoe that provides optimal control and comfort in a range of confident colors.”

In addition to Lunarlon foam cushioning, the Nike Lunar Control also features Nike Flywire, another proprietary technology, which wraps from the midfoot to the heel for targeted support and lightweight structure.

Underfoot, Nike Power Platform stabilizes the foot to provide better balance, smoother weight transfer and more control at impact. Power Transfer Zone technology works in conjunction with the Power Platform to allow for constant ground contact and a smooth transfer of power throughout the swing.

The new colorways of the Nike Lunar Control are available now in Black/Reflect Silver-Light Crimson; White/Team Red-Challenge Red; White/Black-Venom Green; and White/Military Blue-Venom Green.

Nike Lunar Control

Street Price: $160

SS14_552073_LunarControl_Family-2_PPT_detail.jpg

552073_130_flt_detail.png

552073_128_flt_detail.png

552073_126_flt_detail.png

Posted Image

The yellow and black looks like it's taking dead aim at the adizeros.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

• SPY VIP

Nike_Lunar_Control-1.jpg

Here's a few in-hand pics. Nike gave me a pair of these to try out while I was out at the Innovation Unleashed Summit in November. I wore them at the Vegas demo day, but haven't had any time on the course with them yet. I'm probably bringing 3 pairs of shoes with me to the PGA Show as it is, and with the Lunar Claytons already on the list, these will probably have to wait for spring to get put through their paces.

Nike_Lunar_Control-8.jpg

As indicated in the press release, the key technologies of the new Lunar Control are the Lunarlon outsole which provides lightweight cushioning, and the Flywire bracing that supports the upper. Flywire, to an extent acts like rebar in that it provides the structure that allows Nike to use a lightweight synthetic in the upper.

Nike_Lunar_Control-5.jpg

Comparisons between the Lunar Control and adidas adizero one are likely inevitable. While very different shoes, both are positioned as lightweight, close ground contact products.

While I haven't had a chance to play a round of golf in either, I've hit balls with both on my feet, and so here's what I think are the main points of distinction:

• The Lunar Control looks and feels more like a traditional golf shoe. The adizero one is almost a football boot/golf shoe hybrid.
  • The synthetic upper that Nike uses feels (there's that word again) more like traditional material (leather). While I don't agree with the "cheap" characterization, I get where it comes from, so if that's the baseline you want to use, then the Lunar Controls feel less cheap. I don't believe durability - at least as far as the construction of the shoe itself goes - will be an issue in either case. 
  • While the Nike looks larger size to size, the fit is actually quite similar. If you ALWAYS need a wide shoe you'll certainly need a wide in both. I'm right on the edge of needing a wide, but I'm able to get away with, and be comfortable in the standard size in both shoes.
  • The Lunar Control is heavier, but is by no means a heavy shoe. We're talking ounces here.
  • It has been my experience that neither will require a break-in period. I'm basically dismissive of any shoe that destroys my feet before it gets comfortable, and I have zero reservations about walking 18 with either straight out of the box.
  • Obviously waterproof-ness is a concern. I wore the Lunar Controls in the rain...no issues. Given the adizero's primary material and general lack of seams (everything is thermal-bonded), I don't think that's going to be an issue either.

Both a very good shoes, and I expect you'll be happy with either depending on your personal sense of style.

Nike_Lunar_Control-2.jpg

Nike_Lunar_Control-3.jpg

Nike_Lunar_Control-4.jpg

Nike_Lunar_Control-6.jpg

Nike_Lunar_Control-7.jpg

Nike_Lunar_Control-9.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

These shoes look awesome. I love the colors that will be available!

See you on the course.

globalgolf.com

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.5* (A1 Setting), Aldila RIP A 70 X

3-wood: Bridgestone J33 15* Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ X

Hybrid: Adams 21* Idea Prototype E21 X Shaft

Irons: Bridgestone J40 4-PW, Project X Flighted 6.0

Wedges: Adams Puglielli 2012 Black 52, 56, 60 DG SP W

Putter: Current Yip-Stick = Cleveland Classic Black #1 35 Inches

Ball: Bridgestone B-330 S

Shoes: Various FootJoy 11 M

Glove: FootJoy SciFlex ML Cadet

Grips: Lamkin White Gen 3 58 Round 2 Wraps