Will the Ping PLD1 hurt the small putter maker?

Our Sponsors

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No one is ever going to win this one... putters are the most personal club in the bag.   Some guys want the tech that will shave a putt or 2 off of each round.   Some guys want classic clean line

The Ping ketsch is a pretty great performing putter across the board, not just for a segment of golfers like most putters. I hardly doubt the PLD1 will be the last Ping putter with custom options. Ima

I have first hand knowledge. My experience has been 50-50.   It's a little unseemly to link to another forum from here, imo.

Posted Images

You should make that test happen, I'd certainly be interested in the results. You should speak with one of the boutique guys and see if they'd be interested. I have a fairly good idea what the answer would be but it would be an interesting test if you could make it happen.

No boutique putter in a large scale test will beat the Ketsch or EVNROLL. There's just too much technology in these putters.

I think that is a pretty broad statement. The ketsch is one putter and enroll is a line of putters. I will assume that you are referring to the variable groove spacing which is on more than the ketsch. Based on your statement even other OEMs should give up on making putters.

While I like the enroll putters neither they nor the ping putters have been the best performing for me. I am not saying that boutique is the way to go but that even ping and evnroll have to allow more configuration option to fit a golfers tendencies

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :taylormade-small:TM-180

Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• SPY VIP

I think that is a pretty broad statement. The ketsch is one putter and enroll is a line of putters. I will assume that you are referring to the variable groove spacing which is on more than the ketsch. Based on your statement even other OEMs should give up on making putters.

While I like the enroll putters neither they nor the ping putters have been the best performing for me. I am not saying that boutique is the way to go but that even ping and evnroll have to allow more configuration option to fit a golfers tendencies

Yup they should totally give up.

SMH...

My comparison (examples) was for the sake of comparing boutique to OEM, but read into it any way you like.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

The Ping ketsch is a pretty great performing putter across the board, not just for a segment of golfers like most putters. I hardly doubt the PLD1 will be the last Ping putter with custom options. Imagine what a PLDKetch would do to the market!

Most of the boutique scene is about taking an old anser design, changing a few edges and adding a (no impact performance) groove pattern to the face. Why waste your time on a putter that's a clone when you can get a modern anser direct from Ping with your daugter's birthday and whatever saying you think is catchy at the moment?

• Like 3

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

You could have said it much better by saying that the large R&D efforts at the OEMs have the ability to advance putter design more quickly than a boutique maker. I would probably agree with this perspective. I think a general problem with the boutique makers is their desire to please the customer with unique designs and their own handmade designs that my lack the necessary balance to make it more than a work of art

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

No one is ever going to win this one... putters are the most personal club in the bag.

Some guys want the tech that will shave a putt or 2 off of each round.

Some guys want classic clean lines and craftsmanship, and aren't worried about the tech at all.

Some guys buy hand made putters to display, and never hit a ball with them.

Some guys will spend $500 on a driver to use 12-14 strokes a round, but use a junk putter for 30 or more strokes per round.

And on and on... at the end of the day, none of these guys are wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 5

The Ping ketsch is a pretty great performing putter across the board, not just for a segment of golfers like most putters. I hardly doubt the PLD1 will be the last Ping putter with custom options. Imagine what a PLDKetch would do to the market!

Most of the boutique scene is about taking an old anser design, changing a few edges and adding a (no impact performance) groove pattern to the face. Why waste your time on a putter that's a clone when you can get a modern anser direct from Ping with your daugter's birthday and whatever saying you think is catchy at the moment?

It's the custom boutique putter scene, basically a dick measuring contest to show all their friends the cool pics and seeing who can one up each other.

• Like 1

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

It's the custom boutique putter scene, basically a dick measuring contest to show all their friends the cool pics and seeing who can one up each other.

Are you should you didn't mean to say the Cameron boutique putter scene  :lol:

Are you should you didn't mean to say the Cameron boutique putter scene :lol:

No that's more of a cult following which I can understand because there are collectors.

• Like 2

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

So here's the next question.  What makes a putter company "boutique" vs just a small putter company?

I can think of some companies that I consider boutique that make crap products.  I can also think of some small putter companies that make great flat sticks, and some that are just trying to be the next Scotty.

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Epic SZ w/ VA Composites Raijin 65 04

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :ping-small: 5i-UW G700 w/ X100 soft stepped once

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 & 58 CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

So here's the next question. What makes a putter company "boutique" vs just a small putter company?

I can think of some companies that I consider boutique that make crap products. I can also think of some small putter companies that make great flat sticks, and some that are just trying to be the next Scotty.

I think putter companies that offer more flash than function would be considered boutique. Companies like EVNRoll, Carbon, Sentio, etc would be considered small (imo).

• Like 1

So here's the next question. What makes a putter company "boutique" vs just a small putter company?

I can think of some companies that I consider boutique that make crap products. I can also think of some small putter companies that make great flat sticks, and some that are just trying to be the next Scotty.

When I hear the word "boutique" I get the feeling I'm going to be paying more for less or the same. When I think of small I think of someone with a new or refreshing idea that's just starting out

• Like 1

When I hear the word "boutique" I get the feeling I'm going to be paying more for less or the same. When I think of small I think of someone with a new or refreshing idea that's just starting out

It's unfair to assume that before even getting a first impression. You could miss out on a lot of cool things.

• Like 1

<p><strong>D:</strong>    :ping-small:   9* G400 Max w/Xcalibur TSL</p><p> </p><p><strong>F: </strong>  :callaway-small: 14* XR Pro 16 w/Hzrdous Red</p><p><strong>I:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: SLS-01 4-SW w/Paderson SL</p><p><strong>W:</strong>   :edel-golf-1: DGR 59 w/Dynamic Gold SL</p><p><strong>P:</strong> Artisan 0318 or Edel TB</p><p> 

Some would argue that Bettinardi is a boutique putter. By definition, boutique is a business that serves a sophisticated or specialized clientele.

I think Scotty and Bettinardi both have boutique divisions with their custom and limited release products. I guess price is a good way to judge it. Anything over $400 in my opinion is a "boutique" putter.

• Like 1

Some would argue that Bettinardi is a boutique putter. By definition, boutique is a business that serves a sophisticated or specialized clientele.

I think Scotty and Bettinardi both have boutique divisions with their custom and limited release products. I guess price is a good way to judge it. Anything over $400 in my opinion is a "boutique" putter.

I agree. I wasn't exactly fair in my "flash over function" comment; I know boutique putters can quite functional, but mostly that I consider boutique have extraordinary looks and are very expensive.