dadivots

What is YOUR key to hitting that Driver?

One thing I try to do is find someone who is similar to my body type and watch what they do. The plane, the hands, the arms, the legs, etc.

I've been watching Peter Finch on youtube lately. He seems about my size and I think he has one of the best driver swings.

This is a little tough for me since I'm 5'6" and average build hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

This is a little tough for me since I'm 5'6" and average build hahaha

Rickie is 5'8"

- Alan

• Like 1

Rickie is 5'8"

- Alan

Rickie's also a stud whereas I could stand to hit the gym a little more often haha I do love his swing though

• Like 2

1. Play the ball off your left instep or even a little further up in your stance. Ball position with the driver is important. Too far back is bad
  2. Set-up with slightly more weight on your right foot, maybe 55%
  3. Shoulder tilt slightly up, right arm below left. Encourages the desired upswing
  4. Let 'er rip with good tempo, 1-2. Vijay Singh says the word, "seventeen" in his head. 

Enjoy!

Don't over swing is the key, I can still hit it with a normal take back and it will go straighter, don't do the John Daly power swing because it's only going to connect perfect 1 of 100 times

Rickie's also a stud whereas I could stand to hit the gym a little more often haha I do love his swing though

I need to put more time in as well. Been getting there more, but more isn't enough.

- Alan

It used to be "grip it and rip it". 1-10 might have been good. Now it's smooth and easy. Not as long but playable. Like they say "drive for show, putt for dough"

• Like 1

My key is honestly just trusting my swing. My driver has historically been one of my stronger clubs (12 handicap so I'm no DJ) but I've always been able to keep it somewhere i can get a good second shot from. I hit it around 280-300 on a good day and i drive the ball best when I play the game I have not the game I want.

• Like 1

It used to be "grip it and rip it". 1-10 might have been good. Now it's smooth and easy. Not as long but playable. Like they say "drive for show, putt for dough"

not trying to be a critic but with the new data Microsoft has been collecting for the tour that saying has been debunked. The players who drive the ball the best/most accurate make more birdies. When I saw that I was surprised. Just wanted to share being a fellow reader. (Not trying to be a hater or critic)

• Like 1

Open the chest into the arms and feel the stretch.

DONT PULL DOWN!!!

What usually works for me is putting it back in the bag and pulling out my 3W. Haha.

That is exactly what I've turned to the last while. My driver use to always be a solid club for me, but since I've got my F7 3 wood it works just as well if not better in a lot of cases so driver stays in the bag with the exception of a few holes a round. That's likely also why it doesn't perform as well now. Lack of use.

A general key for me when I was hitting driver was simply swing easy and through rather, because I would often hit a bit down on the ball with my driver.

Last key buy a new to me driver and see if that one works better!

For me right now it's all about not swaying off the ball, keeping my head still and firing my right knee to start the downswing

Making sure I'm following the same path on my downswing as I do on my backswing.... That and trying to swing at about 75%. If I do both of those, I'm usually out in the fairway between 260-310 depending on where the ball hits the club face.

Another way to think about what other people said in this thread (tempo, don't overswing, etc.) is "let the club do the work". Think of all the technology that goes into clubs especially the driver, the ball is going to get out there. You don't need to swing hard or fast. I'll work on my positions on the range, but on the tee box it's always "let the club do the work" and it usually stops my mind from wandering on hitting specific positions or overthinking my swing.

Close my eyes. Say a little prayer and yell fore right at impact.

I struggled so bad with a driver for many years I usually hit my 2 iron off the tee. Then I took about 7 years off. Just really got back into golf in 2014. I didn't have much time being in the military to pursue my hobby. So in 2014 I spent a bunch of money on some used but state of the art to me clubs. I had an adams tight lies driver back in the day. The size of modern hybrids. Got my R1 in the mail and said holy sh!t how can you miss with this school bus. Took me a year and a half worth of driving range/simulator to get consistent. But now it's my fairway finder. If I'm off I just set up for a fade and let it rip... nah, I do that all the time.

So to sum up. I found my keys to the driver. Not sure where, but I've always relied on self teaching. Worked fairly well so far. Spent hours on the range till my hands bled. If I start hitting them OB I will go back and bloody them again.

Edit: my swing has always been similar (but nowhere as efficient) to Adam Scott's. So if I'm looking for inspiration I put him on YouTube repeat.

Any chance I can find the Shankster's swing on YouTube?

really concentrated on compressing the ball (getting the hands ahead of the clubhead at impact) with driver last time I was out and it helped tremendously.... hit some good drives and found quite a few fairways....

After I was fitted and the fitter had adjusted the weights he said, "Trust the Driver".

That said I am hitting it straight down the fairway.

• Like 2

Just recently I've been setting up like Bubba but that's Bubba when Bubba is actually hitting fairways with his driver. Not Bubba as of lately. I've tried spreading my feet a ton but found that doesn't work for me. Then I've started to shortening my base and bringing my feet closer together. Also then I've gone a bit like Ricky and choking down. So a bit of Bubba and a bit of Rickey and now I'm finding more fairways. I'm a high handicapper so I wouldn't say I'm doing much but definitely doing better melding these guys together.

After I was fitted and the fitter had adjusted the weights he said, "Trust the Driver".

That said I am hitting it straight down the fairway.

Great point Foz!   Trust is a really key component of a swing.  I find that when I trust what I'm doing the swing flows much more free and effortless...it's when I don't trust it that I get tense and try to manipulate things and my timing/rhythm/tempo get all messed up.