Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Hybrid/FW Fitting

Golfspy_CG2

I went to a Titliest demo day today to try and find a club to fit between my 3w (15*) and 21 degree hybrid.

My 3 wood usually gives me 200 yards. My 21 degree hybrid probably 175. That gap has created a lot of problems for me, since I'm not long off the tee anymore.

The fitter asked me first thing what distance I was trying to get to. I told him between 185 and 195. He had me warm up with a 7 iron and watched my ball flight.

We started with a 19 degree hybrid and I was hitting very high push fades of about 174 yards. He told me to try this 19 degree FW, while he made some adjustments to the hybrid.

I was 50/50 on the 5w. The good ones were 195 to 203. But the other half were fatted and would have been a good 70 yard runner. Ha

He took it back said he'd give it back in a minute. Handed me the 19 back with it set a bit more upright. The push fade was a bit less bit still there with a minimal distance gain.

Back to the 5w. Boom Goes The Dynamite. A beautiful high fade right down the left center of the fairway. Distance was pretty consistent between 186 and 191.

I couldn't believe it.

He told me it was the same 5w set to neutral but with a 7w (42") shaft. I wasn't hitting it fat at all.

He said the shorter shaft was giving me an easier swing to control and the larger head was giving me more distance and more forgiveness.

I would have never considered the 7w shaft in a 5w. But in this case, it really seemed to make sense.

These guys are so good, and it really shows the benefit of working with a professional fitter, than trying to self fit.

Pretty soon, I'll be able to contribute to the "what did you buy today" thread. 😎

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Fitting the club to you is so important (versus the other way around). The whole "standard length" thing is a bunch of hogwash. Standard is an arbitrary number based on what the golf industry says is a standard build haha. Getting the length correct is based on where your hands are at setup and contact you're making (the rep did the right thing for you obviously). I've never had my clubs "standard" because I've always played them based on contact and trajectory I'm desiring. I've had my driver at 44" for years (my 3 & 5 woods are then built off that) and my irons "understandard" by 1/4" too. It is a great game, but success is so much more readily available when the clubs are correct. Good for you for getting the club matched to you 👍.

Cheers

- Burk

Sent from my Sprint LG G5 mobile device

Stuff like this makes me wish we had good fitters around me. Most I've been to for demo days eyeball and offer suggestions but rarely have a launch monitor. Outside of that it's mostly big box stores and the one "fitter" I went to to get fit for a driver didn't bother with the adjustable weights or hosel.

Glad it went well for you! Never would have thought of a 5w with a shorter shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

Glad to hear it's working for ya! Wish you much success!

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Stuff like this makes me wish we had good fitters around me. Most I've been to for demo days eyeball and offer suggestions but rarely have a launch monitor. Outside of that it's mostly big box stores and the one "fitter" I went to to get fit for a driver didn't bother with the adjustable weights or hosel.

Glad it went well for you! Never would have thought of a 5w with a shorter shaft.

Not to be a commercial for Titliest. But this what's great about the Titliest Thursdays they are doing. They generally have them in just about every area every Thursday. You get an actual Titlieist fitter who knows the equipment and how it can work for just about any swing.

When I went for my 917 driver fitting last fall. It was a very similar result. I came out with an entirely different setup than I had been playing and would have bought if left to my own devices.

I had my fitter tell me the same thing about a shorter shaft a while back. I really have no distance between my 4 hybrid and my 3 but it's much harder for me to for my 3 and it's easy to hit my 4. He told me that the longer the club obviously the harder to control. He had me hit a m2 with a slightly shorter shaft and it felt much better

Bryan Pool

Ping G20 Driver

Bombtech hybrids

Ping G20 green dot irons/wedges

Cleveland Huntington beach 6 putter 

Thanks for sharing with us! I have a different yet similar dilemma at that end of the bag.

I hit my 4 hybrid 185, my 5 wood 190 and three wood 205. The 4 hybrid has pretty well rendered my 5 wood obsolete.

Now I'm thinking that I may try the 5 wood shaft in the 3 wood and crank the loft up a bit.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Same gap I'm trying to fill with my fitting on Tuesday ;)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Same gap I'm trying to fill with my fitting on Tuesday ;)

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my LG-D850 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks for sharing with us! I have a different yet similar dilemma at that end of the bag.

I hit my 4 hybrid 185, my 5 wood 190 and three wood 205. The 4 hybrid has pretty well rendered my 5 wood obsolete.

Now I'm thinking that I may try the 5 wood shaft in the 3 wood and crank the loft up a bit.

Thanks Rev. That's what's great about this forum. Seeing and possibly learning form others experiences.

Let me know how that goes fit you.

I now more than ever want to know the real life distances on all my clubs to make sure I have the right setup.

Number 4 at Bayou is a brutal par 4 420 from the tees that I play, tree lined, vicious trap left, grass bunkers right and huge ridge through the green. I hit a nice drive that left 193 to a back pin.

I told my playing partner that I could hit 3 clubs on the green. 5 wood to the center ridge, 4 hybrid tithe front and run it back or 5 hybrid short and have the ridge there kick it on. I hit a very nice 4 hybrid to 25 feet.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Number 4 at Bayou is a brutal par 4 420 from the tees that I play, tree lined, vicious trap left, grass bunkers right and huge ridge through the green. I hit a nice drive that left 193 to a back pin.

I told my playing partner that I could hit 3 clubs on the green. 5 wood to the center ridge, 4 hybrid tithe front and run it back or 5 hybrid short and have the ridge there kick it on. I hit a very nice 4 hybrid to 25 feet.

Right now, I'd be playing 21 degree hybrid to about 20 yards short of the green and hoping to hit a pitch shot close with my 50* !!

Two weeks from now, we'll be talking a different story!!

Guys think about a couple things, and I'll give an example from myself:

1. Club loft

2. Club length

3. Club swingweight

4. Club type

Those four factors make a huge impact on how far the balls carries and how much roll or stop you get into a green. Many people don't have their clubs gapped correct at the top of the bag. For me, all my woods (1,3,5) are length matched by 1 inch increments (44",43",42"). All my woods are swingweighted the same (D3). And the loft Gap is adequate (9,14,18). The other piece is that my 5-wood and 3-iron are gapped correctly too. You might have to get a session with a launch monitor to tweak some things. But those factors above are really important.

Maybe write down all the specs from each club in your bag to get a baseline.

Cheers

- Burk

Guys think about a couple things, and I'll give an example from myself:

1. Club loft

2. Club length

3. Club swingweight

4. Club type

Those four factors make a huge impact on how far the balls carries and how much roll or stop you get into a green. Many people don't have their clubs gapped correct at the top of the bag. For me, all my woods (1,3,5) are length matched by 1 inch increments (44",43",42"). All my woods are swingweighted the same (D3). And the loft Gap is adequate (9,14,18). The other piece is that my 5-wood and 3-iron are gapped correctly too. You might have to get a session with a launch monitor to tweak some things. But those factors above are really important.

Maybe write down all the specs from each club in your bag to get a baseline.

Cheers

- Burk

Good stuff there. Once the new club comes in. I'll do this for sure.

I'm pretty sure but don't have the numbers to back it up, that my 23 degree hybrid and 5 iron are giving me the same distance (about 160 to 165)

If so I can eliminate the 5 instead of one of my wedges, to add the 5w

I was practicing on a launch monitor last night and realized my hybrid and 4 iron are both basically the same distance, as well.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived