Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Rakes left in bunker or out of bunker

Bags

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Depends on the course. Some have them outside the bunker, some in it. Regardless where they are at, my ball seems to always nestle up next to them😂🤣

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I say IN IN IN all day everyday

Bags

IN the bunker for me as well

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My personal preference is rakes outside the bunker because I might get lucky and it will keep my ball from going in the bunker.

but it could hit rake and kick it in bunker - if rake is in bunker only chance it has is to maybe hit rake and bounce out of bunker - in Ill never change my mind - thnx for your post

Bags

Good thread. It would make a nice poll.

I say OUT

Rakes in the bunker are an absolute eyesore. Plus, if your ball is rolling in the bunker, it has a chance to hop out of the bunker so the last thing you want is a rake to stop the momentum.

The ideal place out of the bunker is a few feet in the grass parallel to the hole. It presents the smallest risk to stop your ball (or even knock it in), looks the most presentable, and is still easily within reach for those needing it.

You're supposed to rake your footsteps up to the edge anyway so you're already holding the rake outside the bunker once finished with it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

All depends on the course. Some like to have the rake in, some like to have the rake out, and some like to have the rake half-in, half-out.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Went straight to the source on this, even though I already knew the answer.  From our Superintendent, it is a RESOUNDING,...IN the Bunker.   It saves countless minutes on every hole from the maintenance staff while cutting the grass, not to have to stop and get off the mower and move the rake.  For a course with 36 holes and...let's just say lots of bunkers, this can be a huge savings.

As for where in the bunker,  near the low end entry point, ideally parallel to the hole on the far side from the fairway.   Also having at least two rakes in some large bunkers, properly placed will encourage "some" golfers to use them more often, if they are too lazy to walk 10 steps to grab it before their shots. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I would think the Superintendent is more concerned with his total cost and not how the game of golf is or should be played - maybe rightfully so?

The rules of golf do not address the position of rakes in/out of bunkers. However, they have a decision that addresses it and the recommendation is that they should be OUTSIDE of the bunkers. Decision misc-2.

Once heard a story about a ball against a rake on a severe side slope of bunker. Player had to take a drop (with penalty) outside the bunker since he could not get it to stay on the slope. Not allowed to "press" it into the sand to make it stay etc. Don't know if the story is true but sounds like an extreme case that would not come up to often. Here is the USGA decision answer:

A.

There is not a perfect answer for the position of rakes, but on balance it is felt there is less likelihood of an advantage or disadvantage to the player if rakes are placed outside bunkers.

It may be argued that there is more likelihood of a ball being deflected into or kept out of a bunker if the rake is placed outside the bunker. It could also be argued that if the rake is in the bunker it is most unlikely that the ball will be deflected out of the bunker.

However, in practice, players who leave rakes in bunkers frequently leave them at the side which tends to stop a ball rolling into the flat part of the bunker, resulting in a much more difficult shot than would otherwise have been the case. This is most prevalent at a course where the bunkers are small. When the ball comes to rest on or against a rake in the bunker and the player must proceed under Rule 24-1, it may not be possible to replace the ball on the same spot or find a spot in the bunker which is not nearer the hole – see Decision 20-3d/2.

If rakes are left in the middle of the bunker the only way to position them is to throw them into the bunker and this causes damage to the surface. Also, if a rake is in the middle of a large bunker it is either not used or the player is obliged to rake a large area of the bunker resulting in unnecessary delay.

Therefore, after considering all these aspects, it is recommended that rakes should be left outside bunkers in areas where they are least likely to affect the movement of the ball.

Ultimately, it is a matter for the Committee to decide where it wishes rakes to be placed.

Tour Edge C721 Driver, Integra 45g L flex shaft

BombTech 2 HW 16*

BombTech 5 W

Maltby KE4-Max 5 - PW, Recoil Dart 65 A flex shaft

Maltby TSW-DRM 50*/54* wedges, Recoil Dart 75 R flex/spinner shaft

Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 putter

Personally I don't think I care. I just wish our club would spring for a few new rakes here and there. So many times and at large bunkers there may only be one freaking rake!! Am I ranting where I shouldn't be ranting? :unsure:

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Went straight to the source on this, even though I already knew the answer. From our Superintendent, it is a RESOUNDING,...IN the Bunker. It saves countless minutes on every hole from the maintenance staff while cutting the grass, not to have to stop and get off the mower and move the rake. For a course with 36 holes and...let's just say lots of bunkers, this can be a huge savings.

As for where in the bunker, near the low end entry point, ideally parallel to the hole on the far side from the fairway. Also having at least two rakes in some large bunkers, properly placed will encourage "some" golfers to use them more often, if they are too lazy to walk 10 steps to grab it before their shots.

This is accurate all the way around. More specifically positioned like a wagon wheel spoke with the handle of the rake resting on the edge of the bunker. Establishing a regular rake placement in the preferred entry/exit area also helps prevent damage from golfers climbing in/out from the steeply sloped sections and damaging the base.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Out all the way. I know that is preferred by the rules of golf.

It creates huge inconsistency in regards to the condition of the bunker to leave them in.

The USGA and PGA tour leave them outside of the bunker.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

This is accurate all the way around. More specifically positioned like a wagon wheel spoke with the handle of the rake resting on the edge of the bunker. Establishing a regular rake placement in the preferred entry/exit area also helps prevent damage from golfers climbing in/out from the steeply sloped sections and damaging the base.

yes, I meant to mention the damage from golfers going up and down the steep slope and pushing several pounds of sand out of place down into the bunker. 

Out all the way. I know that is preferred by the rules of golf.

It creates huge inconsistency in regards to the condition of the bunker to leave them in.

The USGA and PGA tour leave them outside of the bunker.

Rev, with all respect I know the condition of bunker issue could be argued back and forth on the assumption of how poorly or properly they are placed.   I don't think you can operate under assumption they are going to be misplaced so often it causes damage, I can tell at our course we see a lot more damage form improper entry and exit as DLK mentioned above. 

As the USGA and PGA practice, well let's just say there maintenance budget and amount of staff at an event is a bit different than those of us at a public daily fee course  :D

As a player it's out of the bunker.  There is the small chance it would stop a ball from entering.  There also won't be any disturbed sand from the rake being thrown (I mean very carefully placed so as not to disturb the wonderful rake job you just did) in the bunker.  Plus if my ball is on the opposite side from the rake I don't have to step in to the bunker to retrieve the rake.

So as a player, out of the bunker all day.

Carolina brought up a great point though, and I'd never considered the saved mowing time from not having to stop and take out 70 rakes from bunkers.  We are a links style course so there are plenty of bunkers and rakes.  If the maintenance staff gave those reasons and asked to put them in the bunker I'd be completely fine with that.  Fortunately our staff continues to leave the rakes outside the bunkers.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'd prefer out, but I'm not sure how many people would bother to pick it up and rake.

Our course it's in, with recommendations to place the rake in the bottom of the bunker, parallel to the hole. The number of times I see the rake place carefully across the edge of the inside off the bunker, perpendicular to the whole drives me crazy. We used to have stickers on the handle telling people where to put them, but they were ignored. I'm forever gently flipping rakes to the bottom of bunkers.

The main reason for in is similar to CG2s superintendent's, our thinks similarly and that people won't rake if the rake isn't actually in the bunker. I think they trialled some in some out a few years ago.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

If anyone who has played Couer d'Alene they ate kept out of the bunker with the handle straight down into a tube with the rake parallel to the hole.. way cool

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

I've never seen them left in at the courses I have played here in Texas. The in the bunker argument makes sense but I would be afraid to do it since they are never there down here. Don't want to be the guy trying to change everything up!  :D

:ping-small:                      400 Driver (8*)                      UST ATTAS Punch 6S

:cobra-small:               F6 Baffler (16*)                      Matrix Red Tie 65Q4

:titelist-small:                        816 H1 Hybrid (21*,23*)        Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY

:srixon-small:                        Z765 (5-PW) +2*                    Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:titelist-small:                        Vokey SM5 50.08F 54.10M   Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw

:callaway-small:                         PM Grind 60*                         Dynamic Gold S400

:ping-small:                      TR 1966 Anser 2

:srixon-small: Z Star ball        

:ping-small:  Pioneer Cart Bag

I prefer out. Our course has deep bunkers and folks tend to leave them near the edge so you end up with some ugly shots because the ball doesn't feed back into the bunker like it normally does.

Driver: Taylormade QI10

3W: Taylormade QI10

5W: Taylormade QI10

Hybrid Taylormade 4 QI10

Irons: 5 to LW Taylormade Stealth

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour

Ball: Taylormade TP 

Bag: Hot Z Canadian flag

Like them in the bunkers myself. I've never hit one in a bunker but I have hit a few that sat on the edge of them. And some of those ended up leaving my ball in a bunker.

So leave them in lol

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

In Australia I've only seen one course (that I can remember) that has the rakes outside the bunker. It's one of the more exclusive clubs in the country, just down the road from home. They have a yellow "T" sprayed on the ground to mark where the rake should be left, about mid bunker, opposite side to the green or fairway. They don't get a lot of hacker traffic. It seems to work pretty well.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Good topics Bags!! Has had some good comments for both methods.

Went straight to the source on this, even though I already knew the answer.  From our Superintendent, it is a RESOUNDING,...IN the Bunker.   It saves countless minutes on every hole from the maintenance staff while cutting the grass, not to have to stop and get off the mower and move the rake.  For a course with 36 holes and...let's just say lots of bunkers, this can be a huge savings.

As for where in the bunker,  near the low end entry point, ideally parallel to the hole on the far side from the fairway.   Also having at least two rakes in some large bunkers, properly placed will encourage "some" golfers to use them more often, if they are too lazy to walk 10 steps to grab it before their shots. 

I guess it all depends on your staff.  At my muni they mow the grass on Monday morning, but they groom the bunkers every day.  So rakes left in the bunkers have to be taken out each day.  They groom every day because... well, it's a muni and many people don't rake at all.  Rakes are normally out of bunkers, but since there is so much uncertainty about in/out, people do it any way they want.  Personally, I would just like to have a rake somewhere nearby... which doesn't happen much.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Out

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

I personally like them out of bunkers. I know guys I play with at our course like them in the bunker. It's funny how we can't agree on something like this.

But i can understand raked in the bunker for maintenance purposes.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

FWIW, I played a course in NJ last year that had a ton of bunkers but not a single rake on the property. They had that "sand" that feels like you're hitting off a fairway.

At first I thought I was going crazy not finding any rakes but then I realized they're just not necessary. You can still dig your feet in and hit behind the ball cleanly but only need to kick the dirt around a bit after and it's good as new.

For groundskeeping and players, I'd say this is the ideal situation but I'm sure it comes at a price.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

My personal preference is rakes outside the bunker because I might get lucky and it will keep my ball from going in the bunker.

And Wahoo, we know how much you love the sand!!!  Hope you are well my friend!

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Carolina - if it means that the rest of the course will be in better condition or that maintenance budgets are reduced I can live with the rake in the bunker.

But the question is which it should be. Since it's mentioned in the rules that there's a preference I'm going with that. Particularly since it matches my preference.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Out

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

Archived