Testers Announced! Vokey SM10 Wedges! ×

Due to medical issues, I haven't played since last spring. Expecting to be given the ok soon, so I was hitting some wedges in the backyard over the weekend and they were flying high and straight.

Feeding off of that I went to the range this morning and alas the magic was gone. Wedges were ok, but trajectory was pretty low. Anything with less the 30* of loft barely got above the grass and distance was non existent.

Natural grass range, no mats.

So WTF has happened?

Full disclosure, I'm 71 with the flexibility of a 2x4, relatively strong and have had a single plane swing since I started playing.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Wishon clubs, Odyssey CS stroke lab putter

I'd guess your grip pressure may be tighter than normal after the long lay off. Gripping it lighter should make it easier to increase lag in your downswing which should in turn deliver both increased clubhead speed and a descending blow on the ball.

Glad to hear you're out swinging the wrenches again, pards!

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I'd guess your grip pressure may be tighter than normal after the long lay off. Gripping it lighter should make it easier to increase lag in your downswing which should in turn deliver both increased clubhead speed and a descending blow on the ball.

Glad to hear you're out swinging the wrenches again, pards!

My guess as well.  Having a tight grip also holds off club release which will cause a low ball flight.  Been there, done that!!  Work on easy swings with lead arm and let the club release naturally.  Then add the trail hand on the club, but with very light pressure.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived