Southeast: KY, TN, NC, SC, AL, GA, FL

Our Sponsors

I've been playing golf since age eight (summer, 1990). My normal score is around 80. My handicap is in the mid 4s. I'm usually able to put together a couple low rounds a year and that keeps my handicap artificially low in my opinion. 

I love golf because it is a way for me to escape. Focusing on each shot allows me to forget about things going on off the course. 

I started reading MGS several years ago for the equipment reviews. I have only met one other Spy.  Interestingly enough, I noticed him on the putting green with an Evnroll putter and asked him if he reads MGS. He smiled and said it was what got him to buy the Evnroll. 

I live in Raleigh, North Carolina. I don't have a home course. I only play 10 to 12 rounds a year, so I play all over: Lonnie Poole, River Ridge, Pinehurst, Tobacco Road. I hit balls in my bonus room almost daily to stay somewhat sharp. 

Year round golf is what's best in our region. The worst thing seems to be the pace of play. I grew up playing in under 4 hours. Most public courses on the weekend seem to be okay with 5 hour rounds.

I am an attorney.

User name is my old AIM name from college. 

• Like 6

Chris M., Raleigh NC

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello everyone, my name is Tanner and I am currently finishing up my business management degree at The University of Alabama at Birmingham. I have been playing golf on and off for about 10 years now.

Hello Fellow Spies. I'm not new to the site, but this the first time I've posted to this thread. I usually go to other threads to read and comment. I've been playing for 55 years. I didn't really take

Hi everyone, very much looking forward to conversing with the groups, my quick responses to the initial forum questions are below: How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap

Posted Images

New to the forum! Playing since 2001; started at young age of 44; 12 HCP

• Like 5

All Ping; right hand, stiff, SFT Woods
G410 Driver 10.5  Alta CB 55 Red
G400 3W 16, 5W 19 Alta CB 65
G410 7W 22 SFT Alta CB 65 Red
G410 5H 26, 6H 30 Alta CB 70 Red
i500 7, 8, 9 AWT 2.0
Glide 2.0 Stealth 45, 50, 55, 60 AWT 2.0 Wedge
Sigma 2 "Fetch" 35"
Srixon Q-Star XV

33 minutes ago, TNGolfFan said:

Welcome to MGS!

• Like 3

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:ping-small: G410+, Tensei Orange
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w, Evenflow Riptide
:nike-small: Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:titelist-small: -ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

On 11/13/2020 at 12:57 PM, EZlife007 said:

I live in Raleigh, North Carolina

Hello from just down the road and welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Subzero 9* with HZDRUS Smoke stiff
4-wood: :callaway-small: Mavrik Subzero (16.5*) with Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI X
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95cw Stiff
Wet/Soft: 3i-PW
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged, KBS Tour-V 110S
Hard/Fast: 4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S

50*, 54*, 60* :vokey-small: SM7 TT DG S200
Putter: :ping-small: Redwood Piper 0*

Ball: :srixon-small: Z STAR XV (but I'm not just going to leave a perfectly good ProV1/x laying around...)
Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer (2018) in black/white/copper

Using :Arccos: to keep track of my shots
All clubs RH

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?   I have been playing for about 30 years, my dad started playing when i was 10, and he took me a few times.  No official handicap, it's around 21.  I would like to shoot around 90, usually between 90 and 100

2. What do you love about golf?  I like the camaraderie and laughing with friends and my dad 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  I have been researching new clubs and club fitting, and the forums came up via internet search

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?  I live in Clermont, FL, west of Orlando.  My "home course" would probably be Kings Ridge in Clermont

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Best things - I can play year round.  Worst things - it is very HOT in summer, and most of the courses are flat and similar

6. What do you do for a living?  I am a software/IT engineer

7. How’d you pick your user name? it is my first and last name together

• Like 4

Eric

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha B21

5 wood: XPC V9

3 Hybrid: Tour Edge Hot Launch E521

Alternate 3 Hybrid: Idrive

Irons: Maltby DBM 6-PW

Sand Wedge: 858c Tour Classic

60 degree wedge: Maltby Glider

Putter: XPC V9

On 11/17/2020 at 4:41 PM, TNGolfFan said:

Welcome aboard!  Not to many spies in our neck of the woods. 

• Like 3

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

Recently retired and moved from Florida to Tennessee, as you can imagine going from the flats of Florida to the Mountains of Tennessee has been quite an adjustment.  First few rounds adversely effected my handicap mostly because of side-hill lies and slopes.  Since, though things have adjusted a bit and my game is starting to return to where it once was.  Always been just a weekend golfer with the boys but since retiring I have again found some of the passion that first got me interested in the game.

I've had been hitting a Ping 400, driver for a while but because of a strange noise in the head have brought my white Taylor Made driver out of retirement.  

3 wood, Callaway Rouge  

Irons: Callaway Rouge

Wedges: Titleist 

Putter: Ping

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, craiger1 said:

Recently retired and moved from Florida to Tennessee, as you can imagine going from the flats of Florida to the Mountains of Tennessee has been quite an adjustment.  First few rounds adversely effected my handicap mostly because of side-hill lies and slopes.  Since, though things have adjusted a bit and my game is starting to return to where it once was.  Always been just a weekend golfer with the boys but since retiring I have again found some of the passion that first got me interested in the game.

Welcome to Tennessee. I enjoy playing in the Crossville area when I get a chance. Mountain golf does take some getting used to. Lots of uphill, downhill, side hill lies. But for the most part, all the courses in your area are always kept in good condition. It is the golf capital of TN!

• Like 3

:ping-small: Driver, G400 11* SR Flex

:taylormade-small: 3 Wood, SLDR  HL 17*  R Flex

:taylormade-small: 5 Wood, SLDR 19* R Flex

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, F6 22.5* R Flex

:Sub70: Irons, 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

:Sub70:  JB Wedge 56*

:cleveland-small: Wedge, CBX 60*

:odyssey-small: Putter, Marksman Fang 35"

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? Been playing since 2015  my handicap is hovering at 12 right now. Hoping to get to single digits  

2. What do you love about golf? It is challenging and fun at the same time. I love equipment and learning the new tech

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I am a long time reader and wanted to join forum to see what else the site has to offer  

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I live in Summerville, sc  and home course is Berkeley cc

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best is the weather and courses are everywhere. Worst is I come from California and out here courses are much more narrow  

6. What do you do for a living? I work in purchasing for a fortune 100 company 

7. How’d you pick your user name? I am lefty, my name is Matt and I was born in 89. 👍

• Like 6

Driver: TSi3 8 Diamana D+ 70TX

TS3 15.75 Diamana BF 80TX

DI: ZX Utility 18* AD DI 95x 

Irons: 4-pw ZX7 CTaper 130x

Wedges: SM8 50.12 at 51,  SM7 54.08 at 56 and RTX zipcore 60 mid - all KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135x

Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 with Stability Shaft

Srixon XV

Welcome to the forum--- You are not too far down the road from me. I am up in the Garden City Murrells Inlet area. Maybe when this Covid Crap is over and I heal up some we can meet up to play

• Like 1

Driver --- Honma G1-X Stock R Flex----  3W Callaway Steelhead UST Pro Force Gold 65 stiff--- 2 iron 1980 Macgregor VIP Nike R flex-------- Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex shafts--- SW Cleveland 588 Sensicore S-400-- Putter Rusty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft-- Bag Old School Hoofer I had in the stash--- Goes along with my raggety persona

4 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Welcome to the forum--- You are not too far down the road from me. I am up in the Garden City Murrells Inlet area. Maybe when this Covid Crap is over and I heal up some we can meet up to play

Sounds great to me!

• Like 2

Driver: TSi3 8 Diamana D+ 70TX

TS3 15.75 Diamana BF 80TX

DI: ZX Utility 18* AD DI 95x 

Irons: 4-pw ZX7 CTaper 130x

Wedges: SM8 50.12 at 51,  SM7 54.08 at 56 and RTX zipcore 60 mid - all KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 135x

Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 with Stability Shaft

Srixon XV

How long have you been playing golf? 25 years off and on What’s your handicap or normal score? Mid 70's occasional sub par round

What do you love about golf? Everything

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Been on wrx for a while and I've always read articles on here but never created an account

Where are you from? What is your home course? Knoxville tn. Three ridges/patriot hills

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The weather is great here.inwould say the only downfall would be all the hills

What do you do for a living? Dairy processing/student

How’d you pick your user name? Lol I can hook ball on command

Like 3

• Like 3

Sub 70 699 pro irons, vokey/cleveland wedges, pxg proto driver, ping 3 wood, 910 hybrid. Bridgestone x

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I've been playing golf around 17 years and my handicap is around 0-2. Average score is about 74

2. What do you love about golf? It's a sport that I've played the majority of my life and I can continue to play for the rest of it. You get to be outside and be around your buddies and there is nothing better than a day on the golf course.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I've followed MyGolfSpy for a while now and recently decided to join the forums.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I live in Alabama and my home course is Trenton Golf Club.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best thing about golf in my region is the greens and summer golf. The worst thing about golf in my region is winter can be brutal and wet.

6. What do you do for a living? I've recently moved back to Alabama and looking for a job. Hoping to work as civil service.

7. How’d you pick your user name? It's just my real name.

• Like 3

Driver: Titelist 910 D3 8.5*

3 Wood: King Cobra (old but good)

Irons: Callaway Maverick Pro's 4-AW

Wedges: Titelist 54* / Ping 60*

Putter: Odyssey V-Line

1.  How long have you been playing golf? The last 4 years as often as I can, which is maybe twice a month, due to job.  What’s your handicap?  Have tried to figure this out but guessing I would Say 15 to 20.

2.  What do you love about golf?  The company with my peers and the opportunity to improve my game.

3.  What brings you to GolfSpy?  Received email into my account and always interested in new golf tips.  Do you already know any other Spies? No

4.  Where are you from?  Lakeland, Florida.  Home course?  Do not have a specific course, but I enjoy Sandpiper since they renovated the course.

5.  What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  The ability to play year round.  Too damn hot in July and August.

6.  What do you do for a living?  Landscaping

7.  How’d you pick your user name?  From my golf simulation shed...Pokey Hole

• Like 3
  1. How long have you been playing golf?  I have been playing for 34 years and my current handicap is .7

2. What do you love about golf? I love being outside, and my son has just started playing so I love being on the course with him

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? With all the new equipment that seems to come out almost daily I like the fact that I can get a true unbias opinion with out the marketing hard sell. Do you already know any other Spies? I don't know any members.

4. Where are you from? I live in Southern Pines, NC and my home course is Mid South Club.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I can play all year long, the worst thing is how busy it get here in the summer.

6. What do you do for a living? I'm active duty Army

7. How’d you pick your user name? I've had it forever, it was an AOL username when that was still a thing.

• Like 3
  • Driver Mizuno 9.5* ST200 (Fujikura Motore X F3 6X(with +1* loft)
  • 3W  Titleist TS3 13.5* (Hzrduz Black X-Stiff) (B4 shaft setting)
  • 3H Titleist H1 818 17* (Tensei Blue AV X-Stiff 60)
  • 4-PW Mizuno SC-18 (Nippon N.S. Modus tour 105 x-Stiff) (+.5 inches and 1* upright)
  • Vokey SM8 Wedges 50*, 54* & 58* default_vokey-small.gif.df5eef7d30f8418f633a4b2e32b07941.gif (True Temper Dynamic Gold W) 
  • Putter Odyssey Triple Track model Ten 
  • Ball :Snell: MTB-X
9 minutes ago, KeithB628 said:
  1. How long have you been playing golf?  I have been playing for 34 years and my current handicap is .7

2. What do you love about golf? I love being outside, and my son has just started playing so I love being on the course with him

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? With all the new equipment that seems to come out almost daily I like the fact that I can get a true unbias opinion with out the marketing hard sell. Do you already know any other Spies? I don't know any members.

4. Where are you from? I live in Southern Pines, NC and my home course is Mid South Club.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? I can play all year long, the worst thing is how busy it get here in the summer.

7. How’d you pick your user name? I've had it forever, it was an AOL username when that was still a thing.

Welcome aboard! 

• Like 2
  • Driver  :titelist-small: TSi 3 9*( Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw White 65)
  • 3W  default_cobra-small.jpg.8f58a841b8297702abec5f95f4fc05ce.jpg Cobra Speedzone (Oban Isawa Red 04 Stiff 75) 14* or :callaway-small: Rogue (Aldila Synergy Stiff 60) 15*
  • 3H default_callaway-small.jpg.7a7fb9960a65b711373a949427403d8e.jpg Callaway Rogue (Aldila Synergy Stiff 60) 19* or :cobra-small: Speedzone (UST Recoil 480 ESX (F4))
  • 5-A :mizuno-small: Mizuno JPX Hot Metal Pro (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff) 22*-50*
  • 56* & 60* default_vokey-small.gif.df5eef7d30f8418f633a4b2e32b07941.gif SM8 56* S Grind 10*  (True Temper Dynamic Gold W) & SM8 60* S Grind 10* (True Temper Dynamic Gold W)
  • Putter default_scotty-small.jpg Newport 35" 1*
  • All clubs have :Arccos:
  • Ball :Snell: MTB-X, ProV1 :titelist-small:, or TP5 :taylormade-small:
  • Range Finder 1_In_Golf.png.97adec575f2fd3b7a728e6cc3c8bdf1f.pngBushnell Tour V4 Jolt Shift With Slope Patriot Pack
  • Bags  :1590477705_SunMountain: Sun Mountain C130 in Red, White, and Blue :titelist-small: Camo Players 4 Plus Stand Bag
  • Spikes  default_nike-small.jpg.53391a39fff9d697b262e2288c9fb3ce.jpgNike Infinity Pro, default_nike-small.jpg.53391a39fff9d697b262e2288c9fb3ce.jpgNike Roshe G Tour,default_nike-small.jpg.53391a39fff9d697b262e2288c9fb3ce.jpg Nike Janoski G Tour Puma.jpg.37ce18afb924b8741045a1aa0455719f.jpg Ignite NXT in Red, White, and Blue

6 hours ago, KeithB628 said:

First, I would like to Thank You for your service!

Welcome - I love the area you are located in and glad to have you signed up. We have a great group here.

• Like 1

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max - 9*, Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 Stiff
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Diamana 75 Limited Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  4 - 6 T200,Titleist 7 - PW T100S, Nippon NS Pro 880 AMC Chrome Stiff
Wedges:  :titelist-small:Vokey SM 7 - 50*, 56*, 60*  Standard Wedge Shafts                                                                                                                                   

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5           
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1 X

• 5 weeks later...

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I’ve played off and on since college, most years playing 15-20 rounds until my kids were born and then I played less than 20 rounds in 5 years. I moved from PA to Upstate SC in 2019 and golf became a way to meet new people and a year round option. Now I’m obsessed and set a goal of 40 rounds in 2021 after 35 in 2020. My goal was always to break 100 and to have fun, but now I’ve set my sights on breaking 80 (my low round of 84 has been done 3 times). My handicap was 23-24 early in 2020 and I’m down to just under 16 now with a goal to hit single digits  

2. What do you love about golf? It’s a great way to get outside, get some exercise and be competitive. Plus my kids are starting to take an interest in it after seeing me practice and play so much lately. 

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? A friend sent me the link after MGS was featured on ESPN. I don’t think I know any others.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course? I I’ve near Spartanburg SC, and play the most at Links O’Tryon in Campobello, SC.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best thing is that I can play year round. Worst is that golf courses are busy year round.

6. What do you do for a living? I work in construction safety

7. How’d you pick your user name? I love mechanical watches. 

• Like 3

Ping G410+, 9* with draw bias weight setting, 55g Alta CB stiff shaft

Taylormade Burner 3w, stiff shaft 

Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metal 4-GW, regular flex

Cleveland CBX2 54* wedge

Cleveland Smart Sole 58* wedge

Ping Scottsdale Piper C putter

Titleist Tour Speed balls

Hello all, I'm new to the forum but pumped to be apart of it! Let's get it!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal scoreAbout twice a year (fathers day and dads birthday) since 9th grade , so about 12-13 years now up until this year. I've played maybe 20 rounds and I've really (finally) had the time and financial means to invest in the sport. At this point addiction isn't out of the question. Unfortunately I've horribly inconsistent.  I've shot an 83 and 114 in the same week. 

What do you love about golf? Ahhh where to begin.. to list a few , I love the concept of thinking about how such microscopic differences equate to such drastic results  . Millimeters and fractions of degrees equating to yards offline and vice versa. Pure admiration and respect for talent  as well. I love analyzing what changes cause what results and then applying it to improve(hopefully) . There's no better feeling than flushing one!

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? The analysis and testing fuels my curiosity.  Plus, the podcast is gold. Wealth of infotainment 

Where are you from? What is your home courseThomasville, NC winding creek is my most played course,  it's close to work and home. If I go into work early I can sneak a bucket of balls in on the way home.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? predicting the forecast is both, 90% chance of rain might mean you get the course to yourself.  But I'm not going to say I haven't continued playing in the pouring rain 

What do you do for a living? I'm a professional towel boy , sales and service; although ,we prefer to go by "Healthcare linen specialists"

How’d you pick your user name? Easiest to remember as it was one of many nick names. It's also my Instagram username, feel free to follow!

• Like 2

Ping 410 3 wood

Nike sq 5 wood

Mavrik irons

Callaway wedges

Scotty putter