Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New Snell MTB X yellow balls

I have been a big supporter of Snell golf balls.  I had one crack and they replaced it with a whole dozen MTB X yellow balls.  I am a decent golfer but not consistently good.  I chewed up the cover with some sand wedges after 7 holes which might be normal for scratch golfers but not for me.  Two other balls had paint knocked off after only 3 or 4 holes.  They did not hit trees or cart paths.  I contacted them again and they responded quickly and said it was probably paint on the urethane cover that came off.  Do some yellow balls have the color mixed in the urethane blend and some paint the covers?  I have not had this problem with any other big name brand balls.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Thanks.

20 minutes ago, HanknotFrank said:

I have been a big supporter of Snell golf balls.  I had one crack and they replaced it with a whole dozen MTB X yellow balls.  I am a decent golfer but not consistently good.  I chewed up the cover with some sand wedges after 7 holes which might be normal for scratch golfers but not for me.  Two other balls had paint knocked off after only 3 or 4 holes.  They did not hit trees or cart paths.  I contacted them again and they responded quickly and said it was probably paint on the urethane cover that came off.  Do some yellow balls have the color mixed in the urethane blend and some paint the covers?  I have not had this problem with any other big name brand balls.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Thanks.

It just depends on the company. Some will add a dye to the cover material and some will simply paint over. Painting the cover it's likely the cheaper option because you don't have to replicate an entire production area just to change the color of a golf ball. I've been experimenting with the Vice Pro in Neon Red this year and they definitely paint them. It doesn't take hardly any time at all for the paint to wear off in spots. It's not anything to worry about from a performance perspective, but if it really bothers you that much, I'm pretty sure Titleist, Srixon, and Bridgestone all add some sort of dye to the cover material during the manufacturing process. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's a big part of why Titleist took so long to release a yellow Pro V - they wanted to get this part right without impacting performance.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour