The fitter specd 1 inch longer shafts to my new irons stating that this would allow me to have a more upright posture to make a freer turn. I am 5' 6" and have pretty short arms. I now have to choke up on all my irons to keep from hitting them fat. We never talked about any increase in shaft length. Everything I have read seems to say I need at least 1/2" shorter. He also did my driver which he made 1" shorter. Any thoughts?

Edited by Thom
was not clear

1 hour ago, Thom said:

The fitter added 1 inch of length to all my irons stating that this would allow me to have a more upright posture to make a freer turn. I am 5' 6" and have pretty short arms. I now have to choke up on all my irons to keep from hitting them fat. We never talked about any increase in shaft length. Everything I have read seems to say I need at least 1/2" shorter. He also did my driver which he made 1" shorter. Any thoughts?

Did you hit the longer irons during the fitting. 

Depends on what length they were before the fitting, but my first thought was to see a different fitter.

• Like 1

There a few considerations when determining length of a golf club for a golfer.

assuming an 1" over standard, would require a fairly flat swing.

I am hope you hit that length to have actual experience hitting the club.

On 12/10/2019 at 8:25 PM, Kenny B said:

Depends on what length they were before the fitting, but my first thought was to see a different fitter.

They are 1" longer than my old irons

1 hour ago, Thom said:

They are 1" longer than my old irons

If your old irons were 1" too short for you, then it makes sense.  However, making them longer won't give you a more upright swing... that takes a swing change.  Longer irons with your height will give you a very flat swing arc.  That's OK, if that's what your swing is, but the lie angle of the irons will need to be more flat.

I don't know all the details of your fitter's analysis, but his reasoning doesn't make sense to me.