Blades vs. Game Improvement - Where's the Data?

Our Sponsors

41 minutes ago, Rtonner3 said:

Great video on the topic 

... It is a video that has very little, if any relevance to the average golfer. Most golfers need more height and more ball speed. They will do the opposite of Matt, most likely swinging the GI faster than the MB because they are getting the feedback they want and need. Confidence combined with a more desirable ball flight will almost always result in better swings. 

• Like 2

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every so often we seem to get into the blades vs. GI irons make you a better player debate, but do we have any data?  What if we did something similar to the Cobra Connect Challenge, fitting with a bu

...  There is no need for any testing because the reasons for playing any given iron are different for almost all golfers. Play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play. We just don't see gol

I have always been a proponent of play what you like and what works best for you and your game. Even though I am a lifetime blade user I flat refuse to tell anyone that blades will make them a better

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It is a video that has very little, if any relevance to the average golfer. Most golfers need more height and more ball speed. They will do the opposite of Matt, most likely swinging the GI faster than the MB because they are getting the feedback they want and need. Confidence combined with a more desirable ball flight will almost always result in better swings. 

I see your point, fam. 

Just look at the pros. Mix of blades and other style clubs.....forgiveness is key 

• Like 1

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Just a couple things.  The idea or saying that hitting blades make you a better ball striker is half true.  The reason why I think its half true is with blades, you have to have good contact or your hands will hurt from all the vibrations.  Part of it is willingness to get better and part of it is probably subconsciously your brain trying to protect itself.  I like the feel and feedback from blades.  More forgivingn clubs make me feel disconnected.  

Second, I think a lot of golfers need to figure their swing out instead of thinking or hoping new clubs will fix their tanks,  hooks, push slices, chunky shots, thin shots, ect.  I understand there is a need and use for different types of clubs but I also think people are shying away from trying to really fix their swing.  

With all that being said, I'm not sure how relevant this test would be besides collecting data.   What I mean is even in data its an average.  Golf is different for everyone.  Even MGS most wanted, or most forgiving, or most distance may not apply to some.  Perhaps one that didnt make the cut is better for me than the average.   Although data collecting is important, club fitting is even more important.  If the clubs are fitted for you, whether it be blades or GI or SGI or a hockey stick, no other testing or opinion matters.  I think that's why when listening to no putts given, they all say go get fitted.

• Like 1
On 5/20/2020 at 6:41 AM, B.Boston said:

The big question we all have is MacGregor or Miura in Big Stu’s dream bag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pro 82 Macs but read between the lines they were forged by Miura. In fact a Baby Blade Miura looks just like a Pro82 or VIP at address

• Like 3

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

On 5/23/2020 at 3:46 PM, chisag said:

Like I have always said--- Different strokes for different folks---- And that is really true in golf

• Like 2

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

9 hours ago, Chizzle said:

Just a couple things.  The idea or saying that hitting blades make you a better ball striker is half true.  The reason why I think its half true is with blades, you have to have good contact or your hands will hurt from all the vibrations.  Part of it is willingness to get better and part of it is probably subconsciously your brain trying to protect itself.  I like the feel and feedback from blades.

Interesting points.  Plus, you just gave me an idea for the Hard Rock Challenge. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

Interesting points.  Plus, you just gave me an idea for the Hard Rock Challenge. 

Going to take fastballs of the chest because there is only 364 days left until next years hockey tryouts?