Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How do I cure a S H # # K? Please help.

I posted my issue  earlier. Did not want to hi-jack that thread from everyone else who appear to have good positive experiences. Yes I have played a long time and yes I can google/youtube videos but for some reason my instinct says consult MGS as MGS always calms me and I value the golfers, leadership from MGS.

With that stated. I need to understand how that shank (off the hosel-like 100 mph it seemed right into the window in front of  my wife) occurred and common solutions that are practical and proven.

This has rarely ever happened to me and I am talking 40+ years of golf. Much appreciated any information. This has got to go away. I am stressing. Can not freaking believe this is my first MGS thread topic but I need help so I am polling the audience. Thank you

Typically see this happen with an outside in swing path and a wide open club face. Difficult to really say without seeing it. 

Are you crowding the ball?

Have you tried purposefully swinging for right field? Try the basket in the bottom right of the hitting mat approach to keep your swing on path perhaps. 

Sometimes I just line up three balls and hit them one after the other in quick pendulum like succession to get rid of the yips.

When all else fails, watch Tin Cup. 

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

2 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

I posted my issue  earlier. Did not want to hi-jack that thread from everyone else who appear to have good positive experiences. Yes I have played a long time and yes I can google/youtube videos but for some reason my instinct says consult MGS as MGS always calms me and I value the golfers, leadership from MGS.

With that stated. I need to understand how that shank (off the hosel-like 100 mph it seemed right into the window in front of  my wife) occurred and common solutions that are practical and proven.

This has rarely ever happened to me and I am talking 40+ years of golf. Much appreciated any information. This has got to go away. I am stressing. Can not freaking believe this is my first MGS thread topic but I need help so I am polling the audience. Thank you

No one is laughing, judging by the number of posts on shanking over the years.  Not me anyway!!  I go through periods that really frustrate me.  Several rounds; no shanks, then one will pop up at the worst possible time and put me in the worst possible position for my next shot.  The shank itself is bad, but what that shot does to your brain is what's really horrible about it.  

Yes, you can look up all the various flaws that cause a shank, but if you've been playing for 40+ years and it's never been an issue, I wouldn't worry about it.  After hitting shots for 30 minutes and being hot and tired, your swing has likely changed a little.  It doesn't take much to go from hitting the club face to hitting the hosel.  As we tire, we get lazy... maybe start pulling the club a little to the inside on the takeaway rather than keeping the club in front of you and rotating; maybe not keeping your posture.   

When you go out to practice or play, hit some shots while you are fresh.  You don't need to overdo it; just get a feel for your old swing again.  Should be fine.  If you think about it when you are playing, be assured that it will likely happen.  I know.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am not a professional golf teacher, but in my experience with the Shanks is widely known.

I am good for a weeks worth of them, at least once a year.  It usually comes with me trying to hit big hooks.  I used to try to bend it like Bubba, but have since learned that Pipeline Moe is far better and the one plane swing is nearly Shank-proof and it goes straight most of the time.

Have you been trying to hit low shots?  This is also something I struggled with.  Holding off the face is no good for me anymore.  I can count on one if I try to hit a little low fade that way.

I also get them if I am trying to get a big slice and get too dumb at go over the top like a champ.  

Mostly from the overly in to out swing is my shankism.  

None of this is helpful, and for that I am sorry.

This happened to me the other day through 3 holes. Occasionally happens but it was 4 shots in a row with my 3 wedges.

On course I had no idea what I was doing at the time until the 4th time I calmed down. I figured out what I was doing after the round.

1) inside out and “lazy” swing. All swings rely on timing especially mine and my hands left the club open. This caused toe hits with open face

2) I picked my head up to look at the Target all 4 times. This did not help my already poor swing. I had good shots previously to that and was excited to reach the green.....gotta make the shot first dummy!

3) I was angry at myself after the first one because I was in range for a bird at worst a par....double, 8, double on those 3 holes alone.

i can’t speak to your swing but these are my typical problems when this happens. Usually I am able to catch it if it happens but I didn’t until i went through a few holes.

good luck and don’t worry about doing it. Just get out and swing and get through it.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

15 hours ago, jddaigneault said:

Typically see this happen with an outside in swing path and a wide open club face. Difficult to really say without seeing it. 

Are you crowding the ball?

Have you tried purposefully swinging for right field? Try the basket in the bottom right of the hitting mat approach to keep your swing on path perhaps. 

Sometimes I just line up three balls and hit them one after the other in quick pendulum like succession to get rid of the yips.

When all else fails, watch Tin Cup. 

Thank you. Had a good friend/scratch golfer come video me (with foam balls this time 🙂 ) .  I am overreacting as I have somewhat in less than 24 hrs reduced the occurrences. There is still work to be done. According to him I am a little close to the ball and something about  my right shoulder is coming out ahead regarding the downswing move he says. I can't feel it but understand by see the video of the good vs the bad. IF I "feel" like I am keeping weight on front foot slightly I seem to be normal. Don't know if that is a band aid or legitimate fix. Guess repetition will tell via the results. Appreciate feedback and comments. 

2 hours ago, Lacassem said:

This happened to me the other day through 3 holes. Occasionally happens but it was 4 shots in a row with my 3 wedges.

On course I had no idea what I was doing at the time until the 4th time I calmed down. I figured out what I was doing after the round.

1) inside out and “lazy” swing. All swings rely on timing especially mine and my hands left the club open. This caused toe hits with open face

2) I picked my head up to look at the Target all 4 times. This did not help my already poor swing. I had good shots previously to that and was excited to reach the green.....gotta make the shot first dummy!

3) I was angry at myself after the first one because I was in range for a bird at worst a par....double, 8, double on those 3 holes alone.

i can’t speak to your swing but these are my typical problems when this happens. Usually I am able to catch it if it happens but I didn’t until i went through a few holes.

good luck and don’t worry about doing it. Just get out and swing and get through it.

Thank you. Had a good friend/scratch golfer come video me (with foam balls this time 🙂 ) .  I am overreacting as I have somewhat in less than 24 hrs reduced the occurrences. There is still work to be done. According to him I am a little close to the ball and something about  my right shoulder is coming out ahead regarding the downswing move he says. I can't feel it but understand by see the video of the good vs the bad. IF I "feel" like I am keeping weight on front foot slightly I seem to be normal. Don't know if that is a band aid or legitimate fix. Guess repetition will tell via the results. Appreciate feedback and comments.

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

I am not a professional golf teacher, but in my experience with the Shanks is widely known.

I am good for a weeks worth of them, at least once a year.  It usually comes with me trying to hit big hooks.  I used to try to bend it like Bubba, but have since learned that Pipeline Moe is far better and the one plane swing is nearly Shank-proof and it goes straight most of the time.

Have you been trying to hit low shots?  This is also something I struggled with.  Holding off the face is no good for me anymore.  I can count on one if I try to hit a little low fade that way.

I also get them if I am trying to get a big slice and get too dumb at go over the top like a champ.  

Mostly from the overly in to out swing is my shankism.  

None of this is helpful, and for that I am sorry.

Thank you. 

13 hours ago, Kenny B said:

No one is laughing, judging by the number of posts on shanking over the years.  Not me anyway!!  I go through periods that really frustrate me.  Several rounds; no shanks, then one will pop up at the worst possible time and put me in the worst possible position for my next shot.  The shank itself is bad, but what that shot does to your brain is what's really horrible about it.  

Yes, you can look up all the various flaws that cause a shank, but if you've been playing for 40+ years and it's never been an issue, I wouldn't worry about it.  After hitting shots for 30 minutes and being hot and tired, your swing has likely changed a little.  It doesn't take much to go from hitting the club face to hitting the hosel.  As we tire, we get lazy... maybe start pulling the club a little to the inside on the takeaway rather than keeping the club in front of you and rotating; maybe not keeping your posture.   

When you go out to practice or play, hit some shots while you are fresh.  You don't need to overdo it; just get a feel for your old swing again.  Should be fine.  If you think about it when you are playing, be assured that it will likely happen.  I know.

Thank you