Our Sponsors

I was thinking of leaving the 5 at standard and then 6 HM  at 1* weak then go 1* strong at 7 forged, then rest of forged standard.   I'll have to see. If both are 1* stronger, that would make a 6 HM 25* and the 7 forged 31* if went stock HM. I'm guessing that 6* gap between stock 6 HM and 1* strong forged would be too large for me since I'm betting the HM will also be longer at equal lofts.

I'm probably going to wait until the clubs are actually in stock at retail to do my fitting and then hopefully they will have a demo set I can hit to see what the actual gap would be and then make a decision from there.  I'm presuming that like everyone else Mizuno only sends out 7 iron heads in the fitting cart so if I wanted to hit a 6 I would have to wait until they got a real set in ?

Edited by ChitownM2
  • Like 2
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If they make the 921 Tours in LH, I will sell my first born for a set. He's had a good two, almost three year run here at the house...he's gently used...mint condition. 

The 919's were SO Good, I just couldn't keep all the goodness to myself, that's the only reason I sold them 😞  Already talked to rep about a 921 order, so I'll be able to compare and share the in

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

I was thinking of leaving the 5 at standard and then 6 HM  at 1* weak then go 1* strong at 7 forged, then rest of forged standard.   I'll have to see. If both are 1* stronger, that would make a 6 HM 25* and the 7 forged 31*.  I'm guessing that 6* gap between stock 6 HM and 1* strong forged would be too large for me since I'm betting the HM will also be longer at equal lofts. 

I'm probably going to wait until the clubs are actually in stock at retail to do my fitting and then hopefully they will have a demo set I can hit to see what the actual gap would be and then make a decision from there.  I'm presuming that like everyone else Mizuno only sends out 7 iron heads in the fitting cart so if I wanted to hit a 6 I would have to wait until they got a real set in ?

Yep seeing and hitting them is always wiser than going on a hunch..ha   I think that is correct on the fitting cart. 

:titelist-small: TS1 Fubuki 45g R Flex

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

40 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

What do people think would be the logical break point for a mixed set of hot metal and forged? Probably going to do a 5-GW set.

5-7 HM 8-GW Forged?

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

1 hour ago, BrownBearGolf said:

5-7 HM 8-GW Forged?

That's the other possibility I was considering. Probably will all come down to how I hit them. This option might be easier to gap too. Do the 6 & 7 HM 1* weak  and forged at standard. 22-26-30-35-40 for 5-9.

Waiting is always the hardest part. I wish they were just available already so I could go hit them. 

Edited by ChitownM2
  • Like 1

The new forged are a one piece chromoly forging. Last years 919 forged was not. They are also shorter heel to toe and have less offset. The tours are not changed too much aesthetically, but supposedly they increased the stability and MOI of the tour by 40%. The sole has had some tweaking as well. There is no 3 iron in the tour and it will be a 4-GW set for the first time. 

All are pretty awesome and while it does not look like a big change, I think incremental improvement was the goal with an already outstanding product. 

• Like 1

Driver: SIM 9 Motore X F1 7X tipped 1 inch

Utility Iron: Cobra King Utility irons 18 degree Aldila rogue 90 X

Irons: Cobra King forged CB 4-PW KBS $ Taper 130 X

Wedges: Cleveland 49,52.58.64

Putter: Kronos Release.

19 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

That's the other possibility I was considering. Probably will all come down to how I hit them. This option might be easier to gap too. Do the 6 & 7 HM 1* weak  and 8 Forged 1* strong. 22-26-30-35-40 for 5-9. 

Waiting is always the hardest part. I wish they were just available already so I could go hit them. 

A proper fitting should help

• Like 1

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

Man!! Those things are gorgeous!

TaylorMade M6 Driver
Callaway Rogue 3W

Callaway Rogue 4Hybrid
TaylorMade M6 irons
Mizuno MP-T7 wedges
EVNROLL ER7 Putter
Snell "MTB" Golf Ball

Denver, Colorado

Home Course:  Eisenhower Golf Club, USAF Academy

I've been thinking about getting a new set of irons and was really considering the JPX 919s since they really cleaned up all the MGS club tests from last year. Now I think I'll wait until this fall to pick up these beauties. Has a set of JPXs maybe 10 years ago and really liked them. Actually sold them to a buddy because he was looking to move from a starter set and it gave me a reason to buy some new clubs. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, ChitownM2 said:

What do people think would be the logical break point for a mixed set of hot metal and forged? Probably going to do a 5-GW set.

5 hours ago, BrownBearGolf said:

5-7 HM 8-GW Forged?

I would probably split it at the 7i or 8i as well, but with the Forged at the top and Tour at the bottom, and bend the Forged weak to blend nicely. It's hard because you only hit a 7i at a fitting 😞

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 58.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small:TP5

16 minutes ago, yungkory said:

I would probably split it at the 7i or 8i as well, but with the Forged at the top and Tour at the bottom, and bend the Forged weak to blend nicely. It's hard because you only hit a 7i at a fitting 😞

Yeah that is why I'm planning to wait until they hit the shelves to do a fitting. Hopefully they will have a demo set of each I can hit and use that to make a decision on the gapping once the other parameters are determined.

It will be interesting to see how the forged blend with the tours seeing as the forged are getting stronger while the tours are not. Forged 7i will be 31 while the Tour 8i will be 38. Going to need a lot of bending to fix that gap

Mizuno replied to my question on the youtube video from today. Specs for the line-up are coming with the pricing on Monday.  

Edited by ChitownM2
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Yeah that is why I'm planning to wait until they hit the shelves to do a fitting. Hopefully they will have a demo set of each I can hit and use that to make a decision on the gapping once the other parameters are determined.

It will be interesting to see how the forged blend with the tours seeing as the forged are getting stronger while the tours are not. Forged 7i will be 31 while the Tour 8i will be 38. Going to need a lot of bending to fix that gap

Mizuno replied to my question on the youtube video from today. Specs for the line-up are coming with the pricing on Monday.  

That's quite a gap! Maybe have to do it at the 7i then and just do 5-6 in Forged.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SIM Max 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

3w/5w: :callaway-small: XR16 Fujikura Speeder Evo 565 S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX 4 50.10 | 54.10 | 58.09 Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER5 BGT Stability Tour

Ball: :taylormade-small:TP5

48 minutes ago, ChitownM2 said:

Everything is coming Monday.  Now that they have said that, so can we I guess 😎

• Like 3

Just picked up my Mizuno 919 Tours for an absolute steal, still fully custom fit had some credit with my course pro shop and after a bit of negotiation between the head pro and mizuno sales rep. I didn't feel as upset as I thought I might seeing these....

• Like 1

WITB 2020 

:titelist-small: TS3 9.5 Degree - Tensei White 70X

:titelist-small: TS3 18 Degree - Tensei White 80X

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC Fli Hi 20 Degree - Project X Hzrdus 6.5 

:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour - 4 - PW - X100 

:titelist-small: SM8 RAW 52, 56, 60 - S400 

:scotty-small: Special Select Newport 2.5 

:titelist-small: ProV1x Ball 

Chances are slim to none that I'll get these, only because I got 919 Forged''s in March and there's no way "the boss" would approve a new iron set.  Doesn't mean I'm not interested though; if the 921s are truly more forgiving and generate the same distances (or perhaps even more) I'd be shocked if they don't dominate the next Most Wanted test.

And just a thought on blending HM and Forged....I know it's fun to scheme and plan, but wait until you get fit and then make up your mind.  Personally the Forged 919's are so forgiving I can't see you're gaining much by blending some Hot Metal long irons in.

• Like 2

Driver: :honma:TR20 460, Vizard 60g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B 

:SuperSpeed:

Tested the Honma TR20 460 driver

I have never had a forged iron.  I am strongly leaning toward getting fit for a set of these.  If my wife allows it of course.  These look so good.  Would be nice to see a top line view of the club.  

Driver:  :ping-small:   G410 LST, 10.5 *. Even Flow 70G  X-Stiff .5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

FW Wood:  Titleist  3, 15*, DIamana 70G Stiff ; 5 extended, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small:Sim Max 19* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

:taylormade-small: Sim Max 22* Ventus Stiff Shaft, Golf Pride MCC Align Grip

Irons:  :taylormade-small: PSI 5-PW C-Taper 130 X-stiff  

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX-3, 52-56-60*                  

Putter:  :edel-golf-1:  34 Inch E-1 with Pixel insert.  

Golf Ball:     :taylormade-small: TP5

On 8/3/2020 at 10:10 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Everything is coming Monday.  Now that they have said that, so can we I guess 😎

Do you know if "everything" includes this amazing new wedge I've seen people talking about? 

Also, do we think pricing is going to hold at what 919 originally was or should we be saving a little extra in the piggy bank for a price hike?

Edited by ChitownM2

In case anyone missed it, Tony Covey's write-up is on the main page...

https://mygolfspy.com/mizuno-jpx921-irons-and-jpx-fli-hi-hybrids/

VERY interesting to read that the 921 Forged will be a degree stronger, and forged from a different metal from the 919.  Now I am REALLY interested in how these fair, and if they retain "Mizuno feel"...

Those Hot Metals look gorgeous. Well, I mean they ALL do, but those are the only ones I could conceivably game! 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

On 8/7/2020 at 10:06 AM, ChitownM2 said:

Do you know if "everything" includes this amazing new wedge I've seen people talking about? 

Here you go!

https://mygolfspy.com/mizuno-es21-wedge-more-than-meets-the-eye/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yup, great write-up, will give these a long look too.  

Titleist has talked a big game about manipulating CG in the Vokey lineup year-to-year, but if memory serves they were behind Mizuno (and Ping) on hydrophobic properties.  Getting Vokey's in the spring might not be the automatic purchase it normally is...