Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Replace wedges or driver/3wood/hybrid?

I’ve got a set of Cleveland wedges, probably 10 years old. My driver is an 2017 M2, 3 Wood is a Titleist 909F, Hybrid is a Nike CPR. Both sets are obviously up there in age. Curious on your opinion on which set to replace first?

Just your average golfer dad. Family first, golf second. 

Wedges. 10 years is a long time for wedges and unless you sharpened the grooves they are going to be worn and impact distance control. I know titleist did some videos and iirc Cleveland did as well to show how groove impacts distance. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have to agree...wedges.  You probably use your wedges on almost every hole, unlike your driver or hybrid.  Sure, getting a new driver, wood or hybrid is far sexier you will score with your wedges.  Go get fit for them.  They will look at gapping, loft and lie and bounce.  I replace my wedges about every three years.  I know they say to do it every season but I don't have that kind of mulla sitting around.  Ten years is far to long.  

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

wedges. I play a course with my 11 year old driver because, in my case, distance isn't required, but I'm finding that 100 yds in really makes a difference. Plus I believer you could get 3 wedges at a reasonable price compared to a new driver, unless you found something used at a ridiculously good price

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

Another vote for wedges. You hit them far more often than driver. Wedges should be the most frequently replaced clubs in your bag. I also second the advice of getting fitted. Shaft technology for wedges has come a long way recently. Don't just grab the stock wedges off the rack and take them to the course!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Without a doubt -- the wedges.  You'll hit the wedge more often than any of the other clubs listed, it's likely that the grooves are well worn past good use, and it's a scoring club.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug