Jump to content

2023: Want To Be a MGS Forum Tester? Read Here!


GolfSpy_APH
Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

DO NOT APPLY WITHIN THIS THREAD FOR TESTING

Want to make your own review on a product and follow our testing template? This is a generic template to follow, however uses the same star rating system that any of the "official reviews" will have for this season and moving forward. (half stars are okay as well). The generic template gives you the opportunity to be a little more creative while following the same general template we will use for any and all official tests.
Here it is: Member Review Testing Template

Please please use the search function before creating a new thread as many of these products/reviews can be posted into existing threads. We can add in a front end message like this one to the top of the thread linking your review to make it more visible on request as well. This helps us keep the forum cleaner and without too many repeating threads. 

Have more questions? Reach out to myself @GolfSpy_APH or any of the other mods via our staff page: Forum Staff 

2023 Update Post: HERE

For more information and data we have an independent study that was done by a member which can be found: HERE!

 

Recommended Posts

I am new to My Golf Spy. I appreciate the dedication it takes to look for testers to give honest feedback. If I get the opportunity I will be as honest and forthcoming as I need to be. Hopefully they have lefties in mind as well. 🙂

Driver - PXG 0811 Gen 4 9.0

3w - PXG 0211

3-4 Hybrid PXG 3-4 Hybrid

5-GW PXG 211

Wedges -Callaway Mack Daddy

Putter - Cleveland, bullseye design

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, albertr said:

I am new to My Golf Spy. I appreciate the dedication it takes to look for testers to give honest feedback. If I get the opportunity I will be as honest and forthcoming as I need to be. Hopefully they have lefties in mind as well. 🙂

Handedness and location are pretty much set by the manufacturer offering the gear for the testing; thankfully MGS usually has some LH opportunities every season.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tgmathis12 said:

This is great stuff! Thank you for spelling it out for us newbies! Looking forward to interacting with all!

Welcome enjoy the site. Lots of good stuff around. golf or non.

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2022 at 3:34 PM, tommc23 said:

Heck I was apart of a review for in which things didn’t go as well as expected and the manufacturer didn’t like it so they decided not to submit a product for the yearly testing because of it. So biased I don’t think so! You obviously haven’t done any research before spouting off. Have your opinion as you should but because you don’t like it doesn’t mean it doesn’t work.

I haven't done any research?     Laughable at best, considering you don't know me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2022 at 11:18 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Of course as with all on the forum allowed to and happy you share your point of view even if I disagree. 

One of the things we do look at is ratio between posted content and reactions. This is in the hopes of getting testers that just don't post to get a high post count. Which again post count is looked at, but more so we try and look at how active a member has been recently. There are plenty that have well over a thousand posts, but maybe haven't actually posted in 6+ months. 

In the end we have an obligation to the OEM, HQ and the members to select testers who will provide us with good reviews. Even this year we had to call an audible and call in a backup as we had a tester not respond to being selected. It sucks as we hope and believe we pick members who will be able to provide good reviews, but sometimes life or other things happen which cause members to not be able to do so. 

To this extent we even have members messaging saying that they signed up, but won't be able to do a full review do to various reason and for us to not select them. Which is appreciated. 

I think we have a great system, but that is me. Even since coming on staff we have tweaked it a bit and added in some new things to make our life easier (player profiles) and hope that HQ can provide everyone with a great testing season this year. 

I would hope your focus is on Honest reviews, not 'good' reviews.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, flyingwedges said:

I would hope your focus is on Honest reviews, not 'good' reviews.

Good as in honest, well written, and thorough reviews. NOT necessarily positive. There is a difference. 

 

 

 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag

Driver:    :ping-small: G430 LST 9*(set at big minus) with a BGT Brava X shaft @ 45.25”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

 :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX5 4-PW with Modus 105S 

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Zipcore 50* bent to 48*

Putter:  SIK Jo slant neck @ 33”   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2022 at 6:49 PM, flyingwedges said:

I would hope your focus is on Honest reviews, not 'good' reviews.

I will take this one for myself and if I get flagged so be it.  Are you that bent that you want to nitpick that in the context of what @GolfSpy_APHhas written in his well thought out and frankly too nice of a response, that the only thing you can focus on is the word 'good'?  You knew what he meant and in an effort to promote your own belief you take it and twist it to fit into that context.  I will bet that not one other member that has been reading through this thread came even close to taking it in the way you want them to.

I hope you continue to hit them where you want and enjoy the game for years to come.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, GrumpyGolf said:

I will take this one for myself and if I get flagged so be it.  Are you that bent that you want to nitpick that in the context of what @GolfSpy_APHhas written in his well thought out and frankly too nice of a response, that the only thing you can focus on is the word 'good'?  You knew what he meant and in an effort to promote your own belief you take it and twist it to fit into that context.  I will bet that not one other member that has been reading through this thread came even close to taking it in the way you want them to.

I hope you continue to hit them where you want and enjoy the game for years to come.

Unfortunately in forums people can read and take context in different lights. I choose to believe "good" doesn't directly correlate to positive. Maybe my wording should have been more concise? In any case some will choose to pick away, which is fine. We are an open forum and feedback is appreciated. 

That being said we will do our best to continue to educate our membership on how and what we do. We will also continue to try and improve our system as time goes on as who knows what future tests will require or need in order to be considered a tester. 

 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not envy those who have to select testers. It’s incredibly subjective and loads of people will be disappointed or even angry every time testers are announced. Being a mod seems like a garbage job!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2022 at 6:46 PM, flyingwedges said:

I haven't done any research?     Laughable at best, considering you don't know me.

You are right we don't know you.  We don't know what research you have done.  Now let's flip that.  You don't know anyone that is doing any of the tests, you don't know the mods, and you probably don't know personally anyone else on this forum, and yet you seem to be ok with making assumptions about everyone here.  That too, should be laughable at best.

This is a place that I have only recently discovered since my return to golf and I have found it to be very helpful.  I have found the members to be both knowledgeable and fun to converse with.  The reviews and the other member knowledge has led me to change my mind about some purchases I was looking into and I am very happy with that.  The mods do their best to accommodate and facilitate what I am sure is not an easy task.

Give the mods a break and if you find that what is being done here at MGS and by the mods and other members not to your liking, cool, but don't assume that you know what they are doing.  Should you get picked to do a review, I hope that you give as GOOD a review as everyone who has come before you.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 10.5 degree ALTA CB 55 RED STIFF
Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 3 & 5
Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 4 & 5
Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra FLYXL 6 - P w/ Mitsubishi Rayon KURO KAGE Black Parallel Graphite Iron Shaft STIFF
Wedges: :edel-golf-1: Edel SMS 50, 54, 58 degree with KBS STIFF 2g/8g/10g Weight Setup
Putter: :odyssey-small: Odyssey Stroke Lab 7 Putter w/ Graphite & Steel Shaft and Pistol Grip
Ball: :bridgestone-small: Bridgestone Tour B X
GPS: :ShotScope: Shot Scope V3 w/ Trackers 

"You don't HAVE to go play golf, you GET to go play golf." 

- Harvey Penick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, jddaigneault said:

I do not envy those who have to select testers. It’s incredibly subjective and loads of people will be disappointed or even angry every time testers are announced. Being a mod seems like a garbage job!

Honestly it isn't that bad. Stay objective, take input from other mods, use the info we have available to us and good to go. Those who complain about not being selected, well usually there is a good reason. There are tons of emails of pick me pick me or why do I never get picked,  but that's a big reason why i created this thread. To point them here and hopefully have them figure out themselves as to the why!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Honestly it isn't that bad. Stay objective, take input from other mods, use the info we have available to us and good to go. Those who complain about not being selected, well usually there is a good reason. There are tons of emails of pick me pick me or why do I never get picked,  but that's a big reason why i created this thread. To point them here and hopefully have them figure out themselves as to the why!

I already teach for a living and deal with high school kids complaining about everything…that’s enough for me! 🤣🤣🤣

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, the transparency of the process was helpful and insightful to me as a relatively new member. If you look just at the raw numbers of sign ups, it can feel like an impossibility to be selected for testing. Learning that forum activity influences the chances of being selected and that ~98% of testers have less than 50 lifetime posts makes the signup volume of 5000+ entries significantly less daunting. I'm not sure which mod posted the raw numbers in the LAB signup thread, but I recall it being less than 150 applicants or so. I stumbled upon what appears to be the previous version of this thread from 2013, and it seems like some of the challenges and attitudes towards testing selection remain. My condolences to the mod team 😅

I think anyone would take ~1:10 odds versus ~1:5000 odds, and it seems like an effective carrot to keep people who are motivated to be testers active, and providing positive contributions (if things like reaction-to-post ratios are evaluated) in exchange for increasing their selection odds by two orders of magnitude. It also seems like an effective, natural filter for those who see it as a raffle and not a different opportunity to contribute to the community.

Driver:     :cobra-small: LTDx Max 10.5°, MCG C6 Red 50 R

Wood:     :cobra-small: LTDx Max 3W 15.5°, MCG C6 Red 50 R

Hybrid:     :titleist-small: TS2 4H 23°; 5H 25°, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black 60 Graphite Regular

Irons:       :cobra-small: LTD (5-9); :Fuji: Vista PRO 60i R

Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 - 54.11 (56°), :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 - 60.10; :Fuji: Vista PRO 60i R

Putter:      :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro 1 / :odyssey-small: 2-Ball Ten Armlock

Bag:         :taylormade-small: Supreme Cart Bag 2022

Balls:      :maxfli: Tour

Reviews: Spornia SPG8 XL Net (Official), Me and My Golf Full Body Freedom (Unofficial), Club Champion Full Bag Fitting (Unofficial), Gravity Caddy (Unofficial)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, mynerds said:

For what it's worth, the transparency of the process was helpful and insightful to me as a relatively new member. If you look just at the raw numbers of sign ups, it can feel like an impossibility to be selected for testing. Learning that forum activity influences the chances of being selected and that ~98% of testers have less than 50 lifetime posts makes the signup volume of 5000+ entries significantly less daunting. I'm not sure which mod posted the raw numbers in the LAB signup thread, but I recall it being less than 150 applicants or so. I stumbled upon what appears to be the previous version of this thread from 2013, and it seems like some of the challenges and attitudes towards testing selection remain. My condolences to the mod team 😅

I think anyone would take ~1:10 odds versus ~1:5000 odds, and it seems like an effective carrot to keep people who are motivated to be testers active, and providing positive contributions (if things like reaction-to-post ratios are evaluated) in exchange for increasing their selection odds by two orders of magnitude. It also seems like an effective, natural filter for those who see it as a raffle and not a different opportunity to contribute to the community.

I try and post relevant numbers for many and we try and also post this thread in the test to get people to understand the process and what we do. It can *sometimes* help with emails of why didn't I get picked and so on. However I'm glad you found it helpful and insightful. 

You are completley correct in thinking it is so easy to see it as 5000+ applicants and it being pretty daunting, but yeah typically the most that have a post count that is relevant is about 200 or so. Then add in those who don't have a profile photo and cuts it down again. FWIW, no profile photo no selection. That is a simple clear standard we have and does help us filter a little easier too. So knock off another 20% or so. Then yes we do look at ratio. Reason being there are many that may only post in testing thread (less now with the new way of selection, but still) and we prefer to see activity in a few areas of the forum even if it is testing that brings someone to the forum. 

It was mentioned at one point, but ites pretty easy to see when someone only posts in tests and only ever just signs up for testing. Which is fine, however we would love to see more cross forum participation. 

I was brought by testing in the beginning and ended up pursuing a leadership position which I am very happy to be in and help this great community where possible. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I am a 83 year old male with a 8.6 USGA handicap. I presently tested Red Hot Laser link, Garmin Approoach S62 and Bushnell V4 jolt. All are good products but have some short comings. Would like to see if the range finder matches any or these products.

Presently using Callaway Chrome soft LS. Will be testing Titlest ProV-X dash

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course I have time, retired and living the dream!  Don’t select me if you want a Cinderella story, I’m going to tell it like it is.  Simper Fi!

Marine 1 Golfer
Hit them long and spin them in the hole
WITB: Callaway Rogue Driver / Irons, Mack Daddy Wedges, and Odyssey Putter, Titleist Balls 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know i have a big notice at the top but it should be repeated. 

Do not apply within, this is for questions, info and transparency everyone who is a potential tester. 

Applying within here will hurt your chances as it shows that the original post wasnt read. 

We clearly lay out how it works and I hope anyone who comes to this thread reads the first post to aid their chances of being chosen as well as enjoying the forum.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I know i have a big notice at the top but it should be repeated.

Can you make it bigger for the people in the back! Lol

 

 

 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag

Driver:    :ping-small: G430 LST 9*(set at big minus) with a BGT Brava X shaft @ 45.25”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

 :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX5 4-PW with Modus 105S 

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Zipcore 50* bent to 48*

Putter:  SIK Jo slant neck @ 33”   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Tincuptim said:

Good to know about participation. I enjoy reading the content and share with my playing groups but was not aware I could help myself in the quest to become a tester for the few items I apply for. Thanks for the info!

Profile photo will definitely be a good start!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m sorry I am a bit new here, I have completed my profile. I’m looking to apply for the current test but I can not seem to actually find a signup button or option. Also I’d like to do an unofficial review on some products I own to add some depth to my profile. Can you PM me the templates as described in this posting? All help is greatly appreciated, thanks

-Cam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Cam17 said:

I’m sorry I am a bit new here, I have completed my profile. I’m looking to apply for the current test but I can not seem to actually find a signup button or option. Also I’d like to do an unofficial review on some products I own to add some depth to my profile. Can you PM me the templates as described in this posting? All help is greatly appreciated, thanks

There is no current test available for signup. Shot Scope was our most recent, but the signup closed on Friday. Sorry. 

There is a review template at the very top of this page linked for all to see and use. 

Welcome!! Appreciate you asking the questions and happy to provide the answer I can. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

There is no current test available for signup. Shot Scope was our most recent, but the signup closed on Friday. Sorry. 

There is a review template at the very top of this page linked for all to see and use. 

Welcome!! Appreciate you asking the questions and happy to provide the answer I can. 

Oh okay, when on the page it says “test signup closes Thursday” without a date so I assumed next week as I’m new here. Thanks for the help

-Cam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I am beginning to believe your entire web site is a scam and a sham! You're merely a schill for the manufacturers to sell more of there golf equipment.  It's impossible to become a tester for any of your offerings and you completely ignore the senior golf playing population, which probably plays more golf per year than any other demographic.  I must admit, I am totally and thoroughly disappointed with your website, your design, and especially how you pretend to pose as a legitimate source of valid information.  Let's see your response to this negative review of your web site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Onesavant said:

I am beginning to believe your entire web site is a scam and a sham! You're merely a schill for the manufacturers to sell more of there golf equipment.  It's impossible to become a tester for any of your offerings and you completely ignore the senior golf playing population, which probably plays more golf per year than any other demographic.  I must admit, I am totally and thoroughly disappointed with your website, your design, and especially how you pretend to pose as a legitimate source of valid information.  Let's see your response to this negative review of your web site.

 

... The MGS website and this MGS forum are basically two completely separate entities. And as a young 69 yr old, this forum is filled with golfers of all ages but certainly plenty of seniors and "completely ignore the senior golf playing population" could not be further from the truth. Plenty of seniors, including myself, have done testing with no interference from the OEM that in every case I have seen want honest reviews from real golfers so sham and scam is 100% baseless. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 Max 10.5* ... Graphite Design AD-IZr
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:  Custom EV 5.1  33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...