Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Walking vs Riding

I walk majority of my rounds.  Weather and time of day I am getting out on the course.  I play on a course that is actually easier to carry than use a push cart.  Prefer choice is walking me.  I even hate it when I have to ride for tournaments and my course!

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ...Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 10.5*

Mizuno Irons: JPX 923 Tour

Irons: Proto Rose

Ladies Golf Balls - Titleist Golf Logo Clipart (#110861) - PinClipartWedges: SM7 52.08; SM6 60.04

Cleveland Golf Png & Free Cleveland Golf.png Transparent Images ...Wedges: Zip core: 54, and 58 

Callaway Golf Wedge: Jaws 50

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ... Putter: Platinum S

Odyssey putter: Jail Bird

I can walk 9 if on a level course. Beyond that, I need to ride - health issues at 52. Sucks getting old. But if I can still play at 87, like my dad, I'm all for it.

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

After 2 hip replacements and disc surgery on my back, can't walk a course, but I will still walk to my ball wile a cart partner is hitting to get into a feel for the shot

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

I much prefer walking with a push cart, both to get exercise and because I find I have better rhythm that way. I can't really carry my bags for a round anymore as it wears me out too much and screws up my back.

I hate having to grab a few clubs to deal with shots that have gone seriously astray, as invariably once I get to my ball I've found that I still don't have the right option. There are a couple of courses I play occasionally where I'll generally take a cart, simply because they are set up with a gap of a half mile or so between one green and the next tee box in at least one spot on the course.

FYI, I'm an extremely active 65 year old, and would like to keep it that way.

Edited by Jim N

Callaway Epic Flash Driver (9 degree), Callaway Mavrik 3W, Titlelist 910H 3h, Taylormade Speed Blade irons (4i-PW), Kirkland v1 wedges (52-56-60), Odyssey Versa 7 putter. All clubs R-flex

Probably walk 80% of the time. Some events or courses require cart use, and sometimes in AZ it’s just too hot to walk, but otherwise I walk and use a push cart.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Madison bats -

Driver - Callaway Mavrik 10.5*, Reg 55 gram Riptide

3W - Taylor Rocket Ballz 15* R

5W - Taylor Rocket Balls 19* 

Hybrid 22* Rocket Balls R, 25* Hyper Speed R

Irons - 6-P Titleist AP2 712 S TT Gold Hi Launch

W 52, 56, 60 Vokey SM6

Love walking anytime of the year.  I joined a club specifically because they allowed walking and the course was walking friendly.  There are some Florida courses which are a bit tough to walk, because of the distances between holes, going through a subdivision.  
Years ago I belonged to a men's league and I was the only one walking.  By the end of our league season we had 4 guys were "The Walkers".  Fun and good way to clear the head between shots, not to mention the exercise! 

Forgot to add - have the Bagoy Quad XL push cart.  Like the 4 wheels and having a brake system. Holds the bag nice.  

Edited by tdroma98

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Ah yes, the golf cart, pros and cons. Full disclosure, I am 39 years old and relatively fit outside of a surgically re-built ankle and I will only ride in a cart if I am required to do so, the course is built with long walks between holes (disconnected residential layouts is what I typically think of) or if the temperature is above 100 degrees. 

Pros:
Great if you have your kids with you and want to play a few quick holes before sunset
Allows people who are physically unable to walk 18 holes to still enjoy the game
Allow courses to be built into mountains with huge elevation changes and large distances between holes
Good to have if it starts pouring down rain so you can find shelter quickly
As a single you can probably play 18 hours in 1 hr and 30 minutes if no one is in front of you

Cons (excuse the rants):
Has steadily ruined walking culture at many clubs and courses, especially in the US
Allows golf bros to bring 24 beers onto a golf course which is rarely additive to anyone else's experience outside of the drunkards
Makes it nearly impossible to truly take in a great course and enjoyable round as you speed from shot to shot
In groups of 4, unless all golfers are really really good, it seems to rarely boost pace of play
Hurts the overall conditioning of many golf courses (in my opinion)
Makes golf more of a leisure activity than a "sport" if you aren't putting in the 3-5 mile walk

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

2 hours ago, DGOhacker said:

Few years ago I converted a fat bike (now a fat e-bike) into my golf rig using Divnik golf bag carrier. 

Wow, I am surprised more people haven't liked/commented on this! Cool workaround. Did you have to ask permission at the course? Did they seem to care at all? 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

I walk my hilly course in north Georgia 4-5 days a week. That is 6.8 miles and a good cardio workout. If I hit a bad shot I walk off my attitude and get back to playing. Americans need to get off their fat a$$ and exercise more. We have over 650K heart attack deaths every year and 800k stroke deaths and physical damage to their bodies. Walk and play golf to live longer. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

The When I was really young....in my 20s and before, my golf friends and I would laugh mock scorn cart people.....we would walk 18 27 36 in summer heat.

Now, in my 60s, in cooler weather I use a push cart. It is the right way to play.

Days like this week, 95 and up, probably play back to back days, I am using the riding cart.

A man has got to know his limitations  and, any course it is cart path only I might as well walk. 

Driver FW - Titleist 917

Irons 4 to 8 - Titleist T300 2° flat

Irons 9 to wedges - George Nicoll Royal musclebacks 70s vintage

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select blackout

@vandyland

Regarding the bike.  Yes, before doing this I asked the course if it was OK.  They said treat it like a cart, don't ride up next to the greens, etc.  The last couple years, since it's an e-bike, I have to pay an annual cart path fee similar to what homeowners with their own cart would pay.  I don't have an issue with it since I probably save that much or more not using my car to go back and forth to the course.  

https://divnick.com/secure/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=78

This is where we got the bag carriers.  It acts as a kick stand when off the bike.  I find it best to use a smaller lightweight carry bag, as opposed to a bigger heavier cart bag.

18 minutes ago, TitleistMike said:

The When I was really young....in my 20s and before, my golf friends and I would laugh mock scorn cart people.....we would walk 18 27 36 in summer heat.

Now, in my 60s, in cooler weather I use a push cart. It is the right way to play.

Days like this week, 95 and up, probably play back to back days, I am using the riding cart.

A man has got to know his limitations  and, any course it is cart path only I might as well walk. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

I’m 73. Never too late to start. I don’t shame people who ride carts. I just see us getting fatter and sicker. Do it for your health. 

In season in Michigan (April - October) I much prefer to walk with my push cart.  On days that are 85º+ when I start my round (and as a concession to my wife), I'll ride.  Ditto for unfamiliar courses and course that require riding.  Out of season (November - March) I walk with a small carry bag (1/2 set of clubs). 

As many others have said, walking or riding is a personal choice.  You do you.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Walking 18 holes in 100 degree temperature can get you. Carry a lot of water. I started a round yesterday and was riding in a cart. Because of the 90 degree cut-in rule for driving the cart, I did a lot of walking. I started the round weighing 197, and by the time I finished I lost 6lbs. Take plenty of water and push cart if necessary. I am sure a lot will henge on how much shade/ trees are around - the course I played had  no shade.

• Driver: default_taylormade-small.jpgM1 450
  • Fairway: default_ping-small.jpg.bba83d4f21432de50efc14846abd81cd.jpg i25 #3W 
  • Rescue: default_ping-small.jpg.bba83d4f21432de50efc14846abd81cd.jpg i15 23 Degree
  • Irons: default_ping-small.jpg.bba83d4f21432de50efc14846abd81cd.jpg G Max (#5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
  • Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 52 & 56 Degree
  •                   default_callaway-small.jpg.ae8c01d5b99b318879ce60f833a6e5ed.jpg MD-3 Milled S-Grind 60 Degree 
  •                   default_callaway-small.jpg Mack Daddy M-Grind 64 Degree
  • Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.de8760986d210e135ee954aba8648771.jpg White Hot OG 7 Bird Stroke Lab

I love playing golf and love the walking aspect of playing/walking the green fairways amongst the trees.  My experience playing golf and scoring is better while walking vs riding.  However, some courses and situations require a cart.  Thus, sometimes I will ride a cart but 90% of the time I will walk.

WITB  -  Mizuno driver and irons and EVNROLL putter or SEEMORE putter depending on the day.

I am definitely a walker, but will hop in a cart occasionally to be social or if it’s so hot and humid that walking is dangerous. Last year I walked on a particularly hot and humid day and got so dehydrated that I nearly passed out and had to go to an urgent care center for 2 bags of fluids. My bad, but I am now even more careful to start drinking water an hour before a round and at every opportunity during the round. I am also a calorie counter and appreciate being able to have a beer or two or a nice meal guilt-free. 

Driver Ping G425

4 wood Tour Edge Exotics CBX

7 wood Ping G400

9 wood Ping G400

5-PW Mizuno Pro 223

50, 52, 58 wedges Mizuno T22

I am 57 years old and love to walk and carry my bag, but I will ride a cart if the weather is too hot. I'm lucky to play golf without physical limitations and not exhausted after the round. I bought a Motocaddy for my wife, and she loves it. I tried the Motocaddy, my BagBoy Quad XL, but I like carrying my bag from the practice area to the first tee without cart restrictions. If you enjoy walking and carrying your bag or using a push cart, keep doing it until you can't do it. It's great exercise, too. 

Golfers who ride are fine. But I don't understand the need for a big staff or 14-way bag with club covers. They are too heavy to carry from the car to the golf course.  

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag  

:titelist-small:  TSR3 11° Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6 stiff

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5° and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff 

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-P Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff52.12F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 120 stiff and 58.10S Jet Black Premium True Temper AMT Black-Black Onyx S300

Scotty Cameron   2022 Special Select Jet Set Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips, and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

I prefer to not use a cart. I walk whenever possible. Walking gives me an opportunity to "walk off" any bad shots, of which there are many, lol. I find that the pace of cart golf is just too fast and is disjointing to me. I have never really played my best while in a cart. 

The other reason I walk is physical. After 16 spinal surgeries, I find that pushing a cart is less painful in the long run to that of getting in and out of a tight golf cart. The twisting of getting in and out drives me crazy. Yes, I know, the golf shot involves twisting but it is around a single axis as opposed to a compound movement of bending/twisting into a cart all day.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

To misquote the great philosopher, René Descartes: "I golf, therefore I walk"!

Walking helps my fitness & wellbeing, my mental health, keeps my golf costs down, as well as keeping my golf scores down! I simply score better with a nice walk - looking at the lie of the land & green as well as the upcoming shot as I walk to my ball. I calm down better after a poor shot, and that walk helps me psyche up for the next shot.

Walking for me is the way to go having your clubs right by you is important for me. Walking just 9 is good exercise. I also play with my kids 6 and 8 yrs old having them walk is very important I feel that they will get accustomed to the cart and want it every time and be lazy .

Putter: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5

Driver:  Cobra Ltdx Ls Fujikura Ventus TR Black 5S

2iron: Titleist U505 TourAd DI 85 Stiff

4-PW: Cobra King Tec x Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130 Stiff

Vokey : 46F Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130 Stiff

Vokey: 50F Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130 Stiff

Vokey: 54S Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130 Stiff

Vokey: 60T Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130 Stiff

I used to prefer walking, but I bought a golf pass this summer that was <$300 for unlimited golf at 4 courses. The catch is you have to pay for the cart every round ($16/18 holes). Still a great deal and it’s already paid back. Because of this I’ve been taking a cart, and also I’m usually going early in the morning to get a quick 2 hour 18 round in before work. 

I walked the other day for the 2nd time all year and definitely feel sore from it. I did feel like I played a little better since I was not in a rush. 

Driver: Nike Vapor Fly

5 Wood: Callaway X

Irons: 4i-PW-Nike Covert VRS X

Wedges:

• Mizuno MP-T5 51 degree
  • WinningWedge SW 55 degree

Putter: White Taylormade Corza Ghost Mallet

On 7/18/2023 at 8:46 AM, Dibb said:

I'd like to get people's opinions on walking vs riding. This is obviously a broad topic, considering there are a lot of factors like weather, walking ability, etc. Just wanted to see everyone's take on it. I play with a Saturday group where i would say 80% of the people walk with a push cart, and I think most of them do it for exercise given their age and life style outside the course. But being a younger member of the group and living in South Texas, I don't find it enjoyable to walk in 100* weather especially if I'm carrying my bag. All thoughts are much appreciated!

I'm a walker most of the time. I use to be afraid of walking a course. I thought you'd have to be a very good golfer to walk a course, however, I have found that it is not necessary. I enjoy walking a course though I do live in San Diego and the course I most frequent is Torrey Pines North. I enjoy the exercise and the ability to talk to people. I've been going on as a single, (something I was also afraid to do until recent thinking only really good golfers played as a single) and found that it makes interacting with those around you easier. If you're riding, you tend to be limited to the person in the cart with you, I'd someone is riding with you.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

I don't have a push cart. I prefer to walk flatter courses. I'm also a fast player, so I will walk on weekends or holidays because it gives time for groups to clear ahead of you. If a cart is included in the green's fee, I'll take my coffee cup and cigar holders thank you very much!

PING G400 max 11°

Cobra F9 3 wood

Cobra F7 19° hybrid 

TM PSi Tour Forged 4-P

50, 54 cleveland zip groove 

58 Cobra snakebite 

Ping Anser 2

WANT NEW IRONS!

I definitely walk unless it's a scramble tournament where I need to retrieve the non-selected ball and to speed up play. Walking allows me to maintain my pace of play, warm me up during the cold winter/cooler mornings, loosens up my muscles and plan my next club selection/trajectory/landing spot. If it warm, I use a sun reflecting umbrella. I got a battery powered MGI Navigor AT 3 years ago and that has been a game changer! I put everything in a staff bag to I'm prepared for every weather condition, drinks, practice balls, etc. It's like having a caddy and it can pull me up steep hills so I'm never tired. Walking has definitely got me into shape, its more enjoyable and has save me money not renting a cart.

Senior Champ

HDCP: 2.5

1W: Titleist TSi2, 9*, Graphite Design XC6S

3W: Titleist TSr3 15*, Graphite Design XC7S

HY: Titleist TSr2, 18*, Nippon Modus GOS

4-9: Mizuno Pro 918, Nippon Modus 3 105S

PW: Titleist Vokey SM9, F46-10

GW: Titleist Vokey SM9, F50-12

SW: Mizuno T22, 54-8

LW: Mizuno T22, 60-6

P: LAB DF2.1, 33", 79.5* Lie Angle

In my 40s and a military type (but not the type with broken knees). I enjoy using a Push cart and walking when I play. I’m faster (especially if it’s cart path only) when I walk, but I end up with 6.5-7.5 miles depending on the course and how bad I am that day. 

Either way I couldn’t stand much more than 18, but for now I only get a cart if I’m taking my kids out or if it’s a scramble

WITB:

Playing MAXFLI TOURX

PXG GEN5 0311 driver, Ping 425 LS 3W, Cobra King Tec 3H, Mizuno 932 Hot Metal Pro Irons, Volkey wedges, Odessey white hot 5k putter