Chip Caddie

Just_the_Chip

Anyone have this? Any good? It says it can be used only with red balls. But I really love the concept. 

https://chipcaddie.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAhJWsBhAaEiwAmrNyqzchhVvqv4MzDf_oZmE2PB4kLaCZLS7T_28xnkXt19klUsZgVPYSBhoCeZwQAvD_BwE

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

I haven’t seen this before. It looked like fun until I saw it was $1,500.00. I would invest in a lower end simulator for that price. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

51 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I haven’t seen this before. It looked like fun until I saw it was $1,500.00. I would invest in a lower end simulator for that price. 

I'm with you,  for the price I would go with a lower end launch monitor.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I agree but I like how it does chipping and putting. It also doesn’t have spin feedback

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

Hey all - I’m Tim, wanted to introduce myself as inventor of this product. I wanted to make myself available for any technical questions about Chip Caddie. I’m a hardware and software engineer and this has been my passion project for some time.

I started building Chip Caddie with the idea of bringing a legitimate chipping and putting practice area into any home - something that didn’t require much space and would fit in the majority of homes and apartments.

The above info about spin is correct - Chip Caddie is a one camera system and currently estimates spin from the launch angle of the ball.

I’m working hard to get pricing down - I’m hoping to be able to start placing larger orders for components and this should help a lot here.

Great to meet you all!

7 minutes ago, ninth_at_nine said:

Hey all - I’m Tim, wanted to introduce myself as inventor of this product. I wanted to make myself available for any technical questions about Chip Caddie. I’m a hardware and software engineer and this has been my passion project for some time.

I started building Chip Caddie with the idea of bringing a legitimate chipping and putting practice area into any home - something that didn’t require much space and would fit in the majority of homes and apartments.

The above info about spin is correct - Chip Caddie is a one camera system and currently estimates spin from the launch angle of the ball.

I’m working hard to get pricing down - I’m hoping to be able to start placing larger orders for components and this should help a lot here.

Great to meet you all!

Thanks Tim. It’s an interesting concept. Love the item of being able to practice chipping and putting at home in a smaller space.

Why the red balls only? How accurate is the system in regards to distance etc?

26 minutes ago, Shakeyfly said:

Thanks Tim. It’s an interesting concept. Love the item of being able to practice chipping and putting at home in a smaller space.

Why the red balls only? How accurate is the system in regards to distance etc?

The red balls (both real and foam balls) do two main things:

1. ensure consistent tracking under vastly different lighting conditions (living room, basement, etc. Less misreads, and more accuracy.

2. allow us to do the above on a modestly priced camera and lower end cpu for processing. Being able to use these will help us be more competitive on price as we scale. To be clear, the price includes all system components (Chip Caddie is the full system, not just a launch monitor).

Chip Caddie is very accurate with regards to distance and trajectory of ball flight. Chip Caddie is the first launch monitor to my knowledge that tracks ball strike to ball impact position on the screen. Generally, other camera based systems are measuring the ball flight within a 2 foot box from the strike location. What this means is that the user will see their shot pop right out at the spot they were aiming to on the screen.

An advantage of only focusing on smaller distances has allowed us to really fine tune the bounces and rollouts of the ball (think roll out of a pitching wedge versus a higher lofted club). In my opinion shot trajectory, aim, and rollouts for chipping is our competitive advantage right now.

On 12/22/2023 at 3:06 PM, Shakeyfly said:

Anyone have this? Any good? It says it can be used only with red balls. But I really love the concept. 

https://chipcaddie.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAhJWsBhAaEiwAmrNyqzchhVvqv4MzDf_oZmE2PB4kLaCZLS7T_28xnkXt19klUsZgVPYSBhoCeZwQAvD_BwE

First I've seen or heard of it.  Pretty neat and compact looking system and very cool that the inventor has chimed in offering more details.  I'd too would be hard pressed to choose this over say a Mevo+ given price point and not offering ball flight data.

On a side note, I noticed your Instagram "Flyfishingnewengland".  As a lifelong bonafide fly fishing addict, these things catch my eye.   

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Hi Tim, pretty cool idea and thanks for joining the forum!

My initial thoughts were that it seems kind of gimmicky, but after watching some of the video's on your site and thinking about it I completely changed my mind.  I could see this being insanely cool in my basement bar area and I actually do think it would get a ton of use.  It's just the cost that gets me.  When looking at all the components it comes with I can see where it's going to be difficult to get the cost down, but for $1500 I'm in the full swing simulator market. 

For the functionality of only being able to chip and putt I feel like this needs to be $500 to be competitive.  However if you ever need a tester I'm more than happy to help 🙂

I really hope this succeeds, I definitely think there is a market for a quality solution to indoor golf in an area where you can't swing a full club.  Best of luck!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Great for tight spaces.  I know @ninth_at_nine, you mentioned working on getting pricing down.  I personally don't think the price is terrible with getting the projector and everything in a package deal but let's say someone has a projector or a PC already for a simulator.  Is there an option to lower price that way?

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

Great for tight spaces.  I know @ninth_at_nine, you mentioned working on getting pricing down.  I personally don't think the price is terrible with getting the projector and everything in a package deal but let's say someone has a projector or a PC already for a simulator.  Is there an option to lower price that way?

Thanks for the feedback!  Its been a popular question so far (about bringing your own PC / Projector) so I can definitely elaborate here and let everyone know how I'm thinking about this.

From the start of the design, I wanted to make the Chip Caddie as much as a console like experience as possible, where setup consists primarily of positioning the components, and turning it on. For the launch bundle, I wanted to stay clear of having users install software onto various hardware as nailing down bugs becomes a question of, "is this issue our software, or this specific piece of hardware?"

Now, having said that - I think there's absolutely a world where Chip Caddie can support a bring your own PC and bring your own projector model.  I've jotted down some thoughts specific to each of these below.

1) Bring your own Projector - If you notice from our videos, Chip Caddie is a vertically oriented projection (we flip the projector 90 degrees). Being made for tight spaces, this allows us to make the most efficient use of the small amount of required space. There are not really any off the shelf floor mounts for projectors that accommodate flipping projectors vertically.  This exact problem is what led us to design own our Chip Caddie projector mount and PC tray, which also had the added benefit of being able to design it with a ball holder and slots for the controllers. The other complication is that if a user wanted to use their own projector, it would need to have a throw ratio that falls into the correct range that would allow the image to fill the screen while at the same time not interfering with the shot.  I do think you would be able to find a position that would work on most home projectors, but it would require some thought by the end user. In contrast, the bundle we offer allows the PC + Camera + Projector to all to be positioned together in roughly the same area on the floor.

2) Bring your own PC - Our simulation and ball tracking software currently runs on Linux. We have tested this on both Mac and Windows, and we do have prototypes running on these operating systems. Windows shows a bit lower performance while compared to the builds on Linux and Mac. I believe we can get this software running on all 3 OS's sufficiently well to one day allow a user to supply there own computer.  However, as I said above, setup would require users doing quite a bit more leg-work on their own to install our software and make sure its running and integrated well with the rest of the system.

Be eliminating 1+2 and making sure the install is still seamless enough to support from a customer service perspective, I do think we could offer something incredibly compelling price wise.  I'm thinking about both of these options into next year, but right now were mostly focused on making the bundle the best product it can be.

3 minutes ago, ninth_at_nine said:

Thanks for the feedback!  Its been a popular question so far (about bringing your own PC / Projector) so I can definitely elaborate here and let everyone know how I'm thinking about this.

From the start of the design, I wanted to make the Chip Caddie as much as a console like experience as possible, where setup consists primarily of positioning the components, and turning it on. For the launch bundle, I wanted to stay clear of having users install software onto various hardware as nailing down bugs becomes a question of, "is this issue our software, or this specific piece of hardware?"

Now, having said that - I think there's absolutely a world where Chip Caddie can support a bring your own PC and bring your own projector model.  I've jotted down some thoughts specific to each of these below.

1) Bring your own Projector - If you notice from our videos, Chip Caddie is a vertically oriented projection (we flip the projector 90 degrees). Being made for tight spaces, this allows us to make the most efficient use of the small amount of required space. There are not really any off the shelf floor mounts for projectors that accommodate flipping projectors vertically.  This exact problem is what led us to design own our Chip Caddie projector mount and PC tray, which also had the added benefit of being able to design it with a ball holder and slots for the controllers. The other complication is that if a user wanted to use their own projector, it would need to have a throw ratio that falls into the correct range that would allow the image to fill the screen while at the same time not interfering with the shot.  I do think you would be able to find a position that would work on most home projectors, but it would require some thought by the end user. In contrast, the bundle we offer allows the PC + Camera + Projector to all to be positioned together in roughly the same area on the floor.

2) Bring your own PC - Our simulation and ball tracking software currently runs on Linux. We have tested this on both Mac and Windows, and we do have prototypes running on these operating systems. Windows shows a bit lower performance while compared to the builds on Linux and Mac. I believe we can get this software running on all 3 OS's sufficiently well to one day allow a user to supply there own computer.  However, as I said above, setup would require users doing quite a bit more leg-work on their own to install our software and make sure its running and integrated well with the rest of the system.

Be eliminating 1+2 and making sure the install is still seamless enough to support from a customer service perspective, I do think we could offer something incredibly compelling price wise.  I'm thinking about both of these options into next year, but right now were mostly focused on making the bundle the best product it can be.

Thanks for the quick response and information. Makes complete sense.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

the unboxing video answered a bunch of questions that I had. I agree the price to me was shocking but for someone with very limited space looking to improve chipping and putting it’s a really cool concept. I didn’t realize it came with projector etc. 

really concept and thanks for chiming in @ninth_at_nine, was doing my pre sale research and got the inventor! 

14 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

First I've seen or heard of it.  Pretty neat and compact looking system and very cool that the inventor has chimed in offering more details.  I'd too would be hard pressed to choose this over say a Mevo+ given price point and not offering ball flight data.

On a side note, I noticed your Instagram "Flyfishingnewengland".  As a lifelong bonafide fly fishing addict, these things catch my eye.   

Yep! My other hobby. I ran a forum for a while for fly fishing.