Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What makes you *TRY* a club?

Matt Saternus

Very simple question:

What makes you want to try or test a new club? There are dozens of new clubs, so what differentiates between clubs that get tested and clubs that get left on the rack?

I'm looking for very simple, honest answers here such as:

"I've always liked ____ brand"

"It looks cool"

"Good marketing"

"Interesting story/performance guarantee"

"I got a free sleeve of balls for trying it"

I'm not looking for a 10 page thesis nor am I looking for the pro forma forum responses of, "I don't care about marketing/I don't care who plays it on tour/I just buy what performs." I'm not talking about BUYING clubs, I would hope that you only BUY clubs that you are FIT for. I'm talking about what intrigues you and gets you into the golf store to demo things.

Thanks.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

-Intriguing Performance Promises

-Always interested in trying new Nike Gear

-If a bunch of guys on tour play something but aren't payed to do so. (interested why they like it so much)

-Next Generation of equipment already in my bag.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

Hype like Nike's Covert

Reviews like MGS's Rocketbladez

Looks like the Mizuno MP line

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I'm a Ho

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Curiousity and general interest

MGS Chatter

Brand Reputation

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

First I have to be willing to be persuaded to buy (not the same thing as ready to buy, I take a LONG time to pull the trigger).

Then, it's pretty much hype. The reviews on this site (official and unofficial) are probably the biggest hype machines for me since I don't bother with other golf sites.

Once I'm in the store though, I'm a sucker for a pretty face :lol:

First, can I stand to look at it?

Second, reviews.

Third, reviews.

The possible exception to that being that X Utility Callaway just released that I "know" I must have before it's been long enough to get reviews in! :D

New idea/supposed technology

If its got free stuff involved I'd demo a stick. So that will always get me to demo things

Reviews/.positive feedback

Promises of bettering something that would help my game, ie lower ball flight.

In my Adams Hercules cart bag...
    DriverPing I15 9.5* TFC stiff
    Hook MachineTaylormade Burner Superfast Rescue 18*
    3 HybridAdams ProA12 20* stiff matrix Ozik Altus
    IronsCleveland CG16 Tour Black Pearl 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300
    Birdie-MakerMizuno JPX 50*-10*
    Piece of CrapOrlimar 56*
    On the wayCleveland 588 forged 62*-10*
    Mid-Round FuelSnickers bars

Brand, hype and word of mouth.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I'm a Ho

+1 on this, I love trying new stuff.

My top three reasons to try a new club...

- I like the looks

- Has a new technology

- Great marketing

That being said, if I'm happy with what I currently have I still won't be trying anything new. I tend to only demo new stuff when I'm specifically looking for a change. I haven't demoed a driver in two seasons!!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

For me it's a combination of factors.

-I tend to stick with one brand to make things easier. I've been a lifelong player of Callaway Golf, and have been to their facility. Year after year, they've product quality offerings that stack up against all others (C4 excluded). I like the fact that their marketing and R&D folks are accessible to consumers via social media and you can ask questions, right at the source.

-A second factor is tour use. If a lot of guys are playing one brand that differs from the company that is paying them money (or at least on staff), then it's worth a look too. Adams Hybrids come to mind in this category.

-Without question, look at address.

Posted Image

I will typically try any club that one of my sales reps brings in to my shop. Also, if it seems as though it is going to be heavily marketed or their will be high demand by my members, I will hit the club so that I have a base of knowledge and experience with it.

For me personally, if it is a new offering from the company I am on staff with it is automatic that I try it. If it is something that looks like it would provide a difference in my game, I will definitely give it a good test. I am looking forward to trying the Razr Fit Extreme when I get out to Callaway's facility in January.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

The only time I go to a golf store is to purchase something specific. I dislike "shopping" immensely and avoid it like the plague. Hence I purchase 99.9% of my equipment online.

Currently I have a Miura 57 Series 6 iron on route for testing fitted with a KBS C Taper shaft to my specs. Length, lie, grip etc.

Why the Miura? I like the look of it and the theory behind the design.

Also since discovering MGS, my equipment purchasing has been based reviews on here.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

The only time I go to a golf store is to purchase something specific. I dislike "shopping" immensely and avoid it like the plague. Hence I purchase 99.9% of my equipment online.

Currently I have a Miura 57 Series 6 iron on route for testing fitted with a KBS C Taper shaft to my specs. Length, lie, grip etc.

Why the Miura? I like the look of it and the theory behind the design.

Also since discovering MGS, my equipment purchasing has been based reviews on here.

AJ

If there was ever a club that would tempt me to spend way more than I could justify, it's those. Not that I'm some elite player that doesn't need more forgiveness than that. But those are sweeeet! I bet it doesn't get more butter smooth than a flushed shot with one of those!

Great responses so far, thank you.

Follow up/clarification question:

A lot of people said "hype." What creates hype in your mind? Is their a "hype hierarchy"? For example: "I don't give two rips about seeing a club in a golf magazine, but if I see it in some tour pics, I'm interested." Or, "Marketing creates hype for me but not as effectively as seeing (favorite tour pro) use it."

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

What makes me try something new?? My desire to find something better than I currently play... I try to hit everything when it comes out, because you never know what might find its way into the bag next week...

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I will test what ever appeals to my eye. It has to have a certain set up.

But to buy it, it also has to be a certain brand. Not just one, but one of the big ones. I am not likely to buy a new Dunlop driver.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

If there was ever a club that would tempt me to spend way more than I could justify, it's those. Not that I'm some elite player that doesn't need more forgiveness than that. But those are sweeeet! I bet it doesn't get more butter smooth than a flushed shot with one of those!

I am expecting it in the post either today or tomorrow so expect to see a thread with some comments.

AJ

WITB

Driver: Ping G25

FW: TM RBZ

Irons: Miura 57 Series w/KBS C-Taper

Wedges: Vokey SM4 52-08,56-12,60-04

Putter: Watch This Space

Ball: SRixon Z Star

Other: Tourstriker 7i

"Go Hard or Go Home"

"Do or Do Not. There is NO "TRY"

"Be normal, and the crowd will accept you. Be deranged, and they will make you their leader"

"I don't fail. I succeed at finding what doesn't work"

Great responses so far, thank you.

Follow up/clarification question:

A lot of people said "hype." What creates hype in your mind? Is their a "hype hierarchy"? For example: "I don't give two rips about seeing a club in a golf magazine, but if I see it in some tour pics, I'm interested." Or, "Marketing creates hype for me but not as effectively as seeing (favorite tour pro) use it."

Hype for me can be a few different things. First is golf forums. If there are a bunch of people posting and raving about a certain club then I get intrigued and want to try it. Another is tour use, even if a company is in the pay to play model if they have a ton of use on tour I'll want to at least try it out. Last is hype around a product launch (TMaG and Nike come to mind). If a company is throwing that much money at a new product to get the word out I'll be more likely to try it out.

Examples...

Forum hype - Mizuno irons, C-Taper shafts, Piretti putters (actually pretty much all the smaller boutique putter shops)

Tour hype - Adams hybrids, everything TMaG

Product launch - everything TMaG and now Nike and Callaway

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

It has to look cool to me, and be a bit unique.

Then I have to see some positive reviews about it and if so, I'll try it out.

Hype is a difficult word to use. It's about creating awareness, but awareness alone is not enough. TM clubs gets lots of hype, but I don't find them cool or unique and can't remember being exciting about a new model.

The Cleveland Classic driver didn't get much hype, but I think it's very cool and unique. It got great reviews so I tried it and bought one.

The new Nike Covert has done a good job on hype because I am aware of it, I also think its cool, unique and interesting. So I am very eager to see the reviews.

What has no impact on me at all is what individual tour players are using. I don't care.

In Play

Driver: Cleveland Classic XL Custom 9.5*, Woods: Cobra Baffler T-Rail 5W, 7W, Hybrids:Callaway FTiz 27* Irons: Maruman Shuttle 7-S, Wedge: Cleveland Niblick 49*, Callaway Jaws CC 60*, Putter: Ping Scottsdale Wolverine

Warming the bench

Cleveland Classic 12*, Ping Rapture V2 10.5*, Ping K15 5, 7, Ping Rapture V2 6-S, Bobby Jones H3-H6, Cleveland Classic BRZ

Being a chronic "ho," I'll look at almost anything, particularly hybrids, FW woods and drivers. Maybe it's the quest for "magic."

For some reason I like wedges that are out of the mainstream -- MGS is partly responsible for that. Scratch, Eidelon and Solus are gamers...but just picked up an old-but-still-in-good-shape Hogan. I do like old-school looks, too...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

If it's easily accessible, I'll hit it.

If I go to the range and they are demoing ladies flex 15* drivers, as long as it's free, I'll hit it. Why not? To actually go and scout out a club, I would have to be in the market, and it would have to fit what I am looking for, ie the forged offering from XX company.

The reviews on this site also definitely have a direct effect on my ultimate purchase.

910D3 9.5*, MP-650 15*, MP-69 3-P, MP-T4 50/54/60, SC Newport 2

New idea/supposed technology

If its got free stuff involved I'd demo a stick. So that will always get me to demo things

Reviews/.positive feedback

Promises of bettering something that would help my game, ie lower ball flight.

Can you give an example of a club that has promised lower ball flight? I can't think of one... Most marketing and promises is thrown at the GI clubs which equals higher ball flight. Shafts are where lower ball flight comes from and you don't see a ton of promising there.

The clubs existence makes me want to try a club. There isn't a club on the rack at my pro shop I have not hit. I mean I have hit each driver, one wood and hybrid and iron and wedge, not every single numbered one. I like knowing the differences between them, seeing ow they perform, and I just like hitting clubs...

What's In The Bag:

Adams 9064LS

Ben Hogan Edge CFT Ti

Ben Hogan Apex Edge 4-PW

TaylorMade ATV 50* 54*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC3 Tour Issue

Archived